Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Galils, Valmets and the R series

Notices

Old 04-15-2018, 09:59 PM   #1
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 171780
Default Indumil Galil ACE Production

Iím not that good at Spanish but here is what Galil ACE 20 series production looks like in Colombia
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.din...-dentro/146818

Whatís cool is they donít have the extended rail, just the short dust cover and short gas tube cover, also note the thumb safety looks like a micro Galil
Old 04-15-2018, 10:27 PM   #2
Il Cattivo
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 180088

FWIW, the caption reads "The finished product of the Galil (production?) line of rifles, of close, medium and long range." They probably should have reversed that order, but hey - it's an article on a financial and investing website.
Il Cattivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:03 PM   #3
swolff
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 180730

I would love to get the short railed top cover and gas tube, R-A-S lower, and a non sidefolding ACE stock. Want to make my x39 pistol a 31 clone.

Hell all the parts to make non NATO versions of the 556 and 762N versions as well
Looking for Romanian recoil rod #4119 or #119
swolff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:25 AM   #4
PNorris

AKaholic #: 191765

No folding stock either.
PNorris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:09 PM   #5
mullicrk
Veteran Member
Contributor

AKaholic #: 169520

Interesting post

Picture #10 of 31 shows a worker brushing the older Galil dust cover with what looks to be a rather large pile behind him (Or her )
Old 04-16-2018, 05:58 PM   #6
ddnc
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174853

I prefer the folding stock an have retro’ed my ace’s with either the tubular metal or late poly skeletonized stocks.
To be honest i would not doubt if the very first ACE’s actually came from south america. Two reasons, they were 3 pin configured and the lightening cut was exactly the same. Mine was like that. Same as the Vietnamese version too. The ACE’s we all have today have a different patterned cut.
ddnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:27 PM   #7
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullicrk View Post
Interesting post

Picture #10 of 31 shows a worker brushing the older Galil dust cover with what looks to be a rather large pile behind him (Or her )
Could they be reusing old Galil dust covers for the ACE?
Old 04-16-2018, 08:00 PM   #8
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnc View Post
I prefer the folding stock an have retroíed my aceís with either the tubular metal or late poly skeletonized stocks.
To be honest i would not doubt if the very first ACEís actually came from south america. Two reasons, they were 3 pin configured and the lightening cut was exactly the same. Mine was like that. Same as the Vietnamese version too. The ACEís we all have today have a different patterned cut.
Iíd say no- it seems the overseas factories were built with the early generation features like the lack of full top rail, the imported 3 pin pistols had the full rail on the top, also the stamp says Israel, and logistics of shipping from Colombia to Israel then to US is goofy, as well as 3rd pin couldíve been a screw up anywhere

It is interesting how the US civilian models have that abreviated lightening cut vs the military models having the full cut, wonder why? After you pointed that out I went looking for ACE pics and only current civilian models have that

Another generational change is the top rail, my early import rifle has its rail opened up and looks lightweight, the newer rifles and pistols have full rails and look heavier
Old 04-16-2018, 09:32 PM   #9
ddnc
Curio & Relic

There are other subtle differences. Different barrel profile, front sight ears, bayo lug, muzzle device. It may be possible that the early recalls were exported from Israel as contract guns/ receivers? I would think that the machining, CNC program or entire machine is different from what we get as opposed to the licensed foreign machines that end machine the cut and and bolt rail gap. Interestingly noted is these seemed to be only on the 7.62x39 guns. The 5.56 versions have an altogether different geometry to the lightening cut. All three calibers we get have the same geometry.
The Malaysian HK93 were in fact made in Germany and exported as complete guns as there was no tooling in Malay. They are roll marked HK but no made in Germany even though they are.
The top rail may be an after thought or just the latest design as only the front dovetail is added and the receiver section elongated.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:43 PM   #10
gowking
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 25340

What's goin on in pic #5? Looks to be welding something but what is welded on the new Galils?

WTS - AK & Galil parts

WTS - AK furniture

Bashing out AKs one at a time
gowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:15 PM   #11
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

ddnc, did you ever get pics of the inside of your receiver of the 3 pin gun before returning? Reason I ask is because Inread those receivers would need heavy modification to become full-auto just like the two pin receivers, that makes me think it was built in a dedicated line for civilian production or at least the receiver production was specifically that
Old 04-16-2018, 11:37 PM   #12
mullicrk
Veteran Member
Contributor

AKaholic #: 169520

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowking View Post
What's goin on in pic #5? Looks to be welding something but what is welded on the new Galils?
Welding the rails on
Old 04-17-2018, 01:05 AM   #13
ddnc
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKAK47 View Post
ddnc, did you ever get pics of the inside of your receiver of the 3 pin gun before returning? Reason I ask is because Inread those receivers would need heavy modification to become full-auto just like the two pin receivers, that makes me think it was built in a dedicated line for civilian production or at least the receiver production was specifically that
The modification would be minimal. Consisting of a slot simply machined into the right rail that would allow for the sear trip to engage on the carrier. That could even be bubba’ed with a dremel. The sear trip lever is spring loaded and slides over the third pin. In the pics there is a collar over that pin. That would also have to be removed and lastly a third detent stop for the selector.
Viola’ select fire. So these were just simply select fire receivers that had just had the above omitted or not completed. Most likely end mill procedures anyway.
This is not my gun but another that was recalled.

Here is the modification on a stamped receiver. Minimal.

Also the rails are machined from the billet. They are not welded.

Last edited by ddnc; 04-17-2018 at 01:11 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:06 AM   #14
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

Great info ddnc!

So you’re probably right then that these simply came off a military select fire line minus all the giggly switch mods

So then what’s the main difference vs the current ACE receivers in the market?

Also didn’t IWI have to destroy all these? I thought they were able to salvage most the parts
Would’ve been cool to register a couple as MG’s and send them to Battlefield Las Vegas for disposal
Old 04-17-2018, 10:01 AM   #15
ddnc
Curio & Relic

There is no difference except that third hole. You do that then you have the same thing that was recalled. The same can be said for any stamped or milled receiver.
The returned guns that were in country had the parts used most likely but the receivers had to be destroyed like any of the demilled parts kits.
Any of these guns including AR’s and HK’s can be easily converted the same way just like the hollywood shootout guys did. Which BTW and off topic, doesn't make sense why the Vegas shooting is a bunch of BS because the shooter would have done the same thing instead of using a slide fire stock. The problem is he wasn't the shooter. He was planning on leaving his little hotel meeting alive. Anyone contemplating that knew they wouldnt be leaving.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:30 AM   #16
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

Makes sense