Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Krinkovs

Notices

Old 06-29-2018, 06:58 PM   #1
mishaco
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 190226
Default I Finally Gave In....

Lastnight i gave into temptation, finally....

I went and pulled an Arsenal SAM7K-01 out of inventory. I bought about 10-12 of them around Shotshow and have been tossing around the idea of keeping one for myself for months. Well, they've been selling slowly but steadily, and i noticed the other day that I was down to only 2 now. So now or never, at least at this price point.
The SAM7K-01 has been very reasonably priced this year, nearly undervalued even.

Thing is, it needs work to be acceptable, at least for me.

The 10.5" barrel needs cutting down to 8.5", and then recrowned. The gas block needs to be replaced with one that has intact 24x1 threads. A flash hider needs to be found. And something needs to be done to install either a stock or arm brace.

Well, what got me thinking on this recently was the fact I do have a spare arm brace adapter and even folding henge mechanism from US Machinegun. To install on the SAM7K, all I had to do was remove the rear sling swivel, and to do that, all I had to do was take a pair of vise grips at the base of the swivel and twist. The 2 flaps inside the receiver neatly folded up and it just pulled out.
After that, just 1 screw to install the adapter and then 2 screws for the folding henge. On that, i screwed a pistol tube and slid an SB Tactical brace on that I just had laying around. I tried a Shockwave but just didn't think that look went with the Arsenal. Plus the SBT is more comfortable to shoot with anyway.

So SAM7K back end is done. Only took me 30 minutes lastnight, and only using parts I already had laying around.

That left the front...ok cutting and recrowning the barrel is very simple; take it to my gunsmith, who is very affordable and has a quick turn-around. No problems there, but what about the gas block?
I figured I'd have to look around to find a Bulgarian Arsenal GB with the 24x1 threads on it. Thought it might take a bit of time + luck...

Or not, turns out K-Var has them in stock right now. Grabbed one of those and as soon as it comes in, I'll have everything I need to finish up my SAM7K to AR-M4SF conversion.

Oh, and as for the flash hider? no problems there. Back in December, K-Var got in some Bulgie 4 piece devices for 24mm threads, and while I didn't have any use for one at the time, i grabbed it anyway. I figured that in the future it might just come in handy.
Well the future is now, and I am glad to have just the right device for this project. It has been setting on the desk just waiting.

So all told, the only money I had to lay out for this today was $93 for the gas block and about $50 to my gunsmith for the barrel job.
The flash hider, brace assembly, and even pistol were all already bought and paid for months ago.

Adding everything up, I'll be in this SAM7K-ARM4SF for around $1,150.00, with that cost spread out over 6 months too....not bad for a milled Arsenal Krink pistol in 2018. At least, that's how it seems to me.

As you know, i am not good with pictures but you probably also can guess a video will be coming when the barrel has been converted and we get to the range with the finished product.

cheers,
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:24 PM   #2
mtscott
Contributor

AKaholic #: 159309

Looking forward to the video.
mtscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:27 PM   #3
Bakwa
Prophetic Marksman
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 190595

Outstanding!
Looking forward to some visual evidence of this project.
Sounds like it will come out an excellent shooter as well as a good looking gun.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:13 PM   #4
ddnc
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174853

M13 industries has the proper shorty krink boosters and another muzzle fix is to remove the FSB and cut off the non threaded collar.
Then replace it with the M13 press on 24x1 collar over the barrel stub and it’s done.
I also have found the CNC warrior folding Galil type hinge with the GHW mod 2 brace is the easiest and by far the simplest, best looking and functional brace.
ddnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:03 PM   #5
mishaco
Curio & Relic

Thanks, i like CNCW and was thinking of getting their adapter eventually. I already got the Krink GB though, so i am all set there.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:35 PM   #6
boconnor811

AKaholic #: 196658

This is great! Will watch the progress
boconnor811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:05 PM   #7
mishaco
Curio & Relic

You know what's kind of odd but really not surprising?
The Arsenal milled receiver is quite a bit thinner in the back where the sling swivel hole is compared with the trunnion in my Draco or PAK-9.
Luckily, the USMG adapter uses a very large block to anchor theplate, so it should distribute any weight/stress over a larger surface area. I am sure it will hold up just fine. It was only an observation.

Before this, I only had 2 Krinks anyway: Zastava M92PV and Arsenal SLR104UR.
So a third wouldn't be bad I figured....at least compared with how many AKMs and lord, RPKs I have lol.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:13 PM   #8
giantpune
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 188807

I knew we could talk you into it.
Welcome to the club.

I wouldn't worry about the thin backplate too much. I drilled and tapped mine to mount a buffer tube. It seems plenty strong as long as you aren't buttstroking people on the nose or bashing in doors with your pistol brace.
giantpune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:20 AM   #9
islandfocus2
Guns & Coffee
Contributor

AKaholic #: 159575

Not sure if you already saw my tutorial of converting my SAM7SF to ARM4SF clone.

Here’s the link: http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305207

Not too many of these ARM4SF clones floating around. They are SO FUN to shoot!

Last edited by islandfocus2; 06-30-2018 at 01:16 PM.
islandfocus2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:22 AM   #10
ddnc
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaco View Post
You know what's kind of odd but really not surprising?
The Arsenal milled receiver is quite a bit thinner in the back where the sling swivel hole is compared with the trunnion in my Draco or PAK-9.
Luckily, the USMG adapter uses a very large block to anchor theplate, so it should distribute any weight/stress over a larger surface area. I am sure it will hold up just fine. It was only an observation.
You must check out the CNCW hinge. The hole as you know, once you remove the swivel is figure 8 shaped. Their bolt is specifically made with grooves that accommodate that geometry so there is no movement.
Furthermore your area of concern is addressed as a very thick, about 1 inch IIRC, stainless steel collar, slides over that bolt and torques down the whole assembly with a locking nut. It essentially fills the entire space at the back of the trunnion.
It is quite stout.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:52 AM   #11
AK-ula
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

AKaholic #: 159323
Default barrel length

So Mikey,

What made you think/feel the barrel is too long. Or conversely it needed to be shorter.

Aesthetics?
Balance?
Performance?
FSBGB which accepts standard 24x1.5 M-D's.?

Not harshing ya. But I have seen this before with I-F's builds among others. But nobody really but I-F stated they wanted the commonality of the 24mm threads. Or did a back to back for the 10.5" vs 8" barrel performance.

And post up some range pics/vids when you get a chance.
Happy 4th and great choice! I will be shooting mine this weekend.

Cheers
MJ

And yeah the back plate is quite thin compared to the Draco.
1:11 MARK14
AK-ula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:00 AM   #12
giantpune
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-ula View Post
So Mikey,

What made you think/feel the barrel is too long. Or conversely it needed to be shorter.

Aesthetics?
Balance?
Performance?
FSBGB which accepts standard 24x1.5 M-D's.?
If you want any functional muzzle device at all on this gun, you need to come up with a way to get threads near the end of the barrel. The barrel itself doesn't have enough meat on it to cut 5/8x24 threads out by the muzzle. That leaves you a few options, but they all pretty much involve lopping off the barrel back by the gas block.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:28 AM   #13
AK-ula
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

Default threads

On my 10.5 106UR I cut 14x1LH threads no problem.

But I never installed a M-D as .223 is relatively low recoil round. Maybe a flash hider someday? But I really wanted to keep the barrel length on the .223.

I understand the 7.62 is less affected by barrel length. But I have chrono'd my Draco with Wolf HP and GT. They were about ~2000 fps. But that is also ~11" barrel.

I will see if I can get some data on the SAM-K when I take it to the range with the 10.5" barrel.

Later
MJ
Old 06-30-2018, 02:49 PM   #14
Meataxe556
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 160303

I would keep the barrel at 10.5". Not much loss of velocity from the 16" bbl rifle as there would be with a bbl cut to 8.5", but a much handier package. My pistol is more accurate than the majority of my stamped rifles. Just knocked off the fake booster and drilled and tapped for a Manticore Eclipse.
Meataxe556 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:41 PM   #15
boutcha
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 172420

I'd really like a pistol in 7.62, and a SAM7 would be sweet.
I think they would have sold so much better with threads already usable.
https://pastebin.com/LutjnpaG

“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” - Mark Twain

13:15-18
boutcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:07 AM   #16
mishaco
Curio & Relic

OK, replying in no real order and very tired from an all-day family reunion in 99 degree weather, so i feel as if i should be drunk though I've not had a single drop (my family are mostly LDS haha).

Anyhow.....

Why a SAM7K? well the $800 price point was a major convincer. I mean the milled receiver alone is nearly worth that, and then add in an orig Bulgie barrel, BCG, and furniture? why not?

As to why chop the barrel down from 10.5" to 8.3"? well a couple reasons. First, so i can use the Bulgie 4 piece flash hider and second, to make it as compact as possible. I mean why have a Krink if you don't go full Krink?
Maybe 10.5" gives a bit better performance, but you know what gives even better than that? 12.5" from my AMD65 or Draco Carbine, or even 16.25" from my SAM7R or SAM7SF.
In otherwords, i have other 7.62x39s for that kind of thing.
Plus chopping the barrel will reduce gas pressure by a bit, meaning the operating system will be a tad less vilent.
And if nothing else, because I can and it is just one more way to make the SAM7K a bit more unique and bit more my own custom jobber.

As to the CNC Warrior adapter, I'd not mind giving it a try but they seem to have been out of stock all year. I did call a couple times, and i was told they 'might' have one left in the back but could never get a solid answer out of them. The USMG one I have works for now, but if someone has a CNCW adapter they aren't using, feel free to e-mail me and maybe we can work out a trade or something.

Island, I think i did read your SAM7SF to AR-M4SF thread last year....Using a fullsized rifle as a doner is about the only way to go if you plan on SBRing and want the original stock.
Arsenal really should have made those available as conversion kits for the SAM7K Pistol too. This gun could have been a great seller for them, but they just never marketed it right, and they really should have at least replaced the GB with one with threads + offered it with an optional folding brace upgrade.
Instead, they just offered a variant with a flash light, and another with a brace but that had the tube welded onto the rear of the receiver, so blah nah.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:29 AM   #17
Barth
Likes Suchkas

AKaholic #: 168359

Sounds like fun to me.
Keep us posted on your progress.
Barth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:09 AM   #18
Meataxe556
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 160303

I’d give the Manticore Eclipse a look: as good if not better muzzle flash suppression at a fraction of the weight of the four-piece Bulgarian.
Meataxe556 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:35 AM   #19
AK-ula
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

Default Misha

Welcome back...

I hear ya about the heat. It can be really draining.

AMD-65//12.5" are beasts. I fixed one up for my FFL and we took it to the range and the side blast was a Mo-Fo. Sounded-Felt like he was shooting a 300Win Mag. Accurate rifle for what it is.

SAM7K
I took the front end apart just to see what's what.

The retaining pin has an open side and a smaller somewhat closed off side. At least on mine. This was a lil different from my 106ur which is pretty much open on both sides. I dremeled it out a bit on the closed off side to expose the pin. Then I was trying to be gentle to tap the pin out. WASTE OF TIME....

It's an AK and AK's like BFH's.
So after several mighty whacks the pin starting pushing out. And then finally came out. Removing the faux can required light tapping and it slowly worked off.

I took the pin and peened one side and bullet tapered the other. For ease of installation.
P1020394.JPG

Then took plumber's sandpaper and went over the FSB and deburred the barrel collar. And then used a dremel with a barrel sanding bit to smooth out the inside of the faux can.
P1020395.JPG

Test fitted and then Hot blued.
P1020397.JPG

Applied light oil to finish out the bluing:
P1020399.JPG

The reassembled and drove the pin in with a spring loaded center punch.
P1020400.JPG

Next step test fire and order a FSBGB.

Later
MJ
Old 07-01-2018, 09:52 AM   #20
AK-ula
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

Default Couple more things

The top cover was too low and too tight.
It was rubbing on the bolt carrier and the safety wouldn't easily snap into position.

So I drilled out the retaining rivet and then trimmed the top cover and gently bent it out abit with an adjustable wrench. Just apply some blue painter's tape and then just slowly work it out.

Now the carrier doesn't rub and the safety lever snaps in under the top cover.
And it's easily manipulated from both sides.

Then used a Ronin retaining pin for the top cover.
I highly recommend these for quick removal of the top cover and ease of maintenance.

Anybody run a sling or optics on theirs yet?

Cheers
MJ
Old 07-01-2018, 11:49 AM   #21
ddnc
Curio & Relic

The simplest mod is, you can cut the barrel to the FSGB and reapply the faux booster. With the barrel cut back the muzzle device provides an expansion space forward of the muzzle and will mitigate the flash. It’ll work like a brake/can.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:06 PM   #22
giantpune
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-ula View Post
Anybody run a sling or optics on theirs yet?
With a little dremmeling and angle grinding, I was able to get the UTG rail to slide on and off the gun. For the older RS regulate, I shaved off ~9mm of the lower inside wedge area. The material I removed isn't from a section that makes contact while the thing's installed, so I don't believe you lose any of the legendary reliability.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:59 PM   #23
mishaco
Curio & Relic

Keep in mind that I like doing replicas of military AKs, so I am shooting for as close to an original AR-M4SF look as is reasonably possible.

Also, i already have a Bulgie 4 piece flash hider here, so might as well use it i figure.

The only thing I've done since last time was to remove the rollpin holding the faux flash hider on and remove the device.
Also, i did slide the 4 piece on (minus the internal cone) to do a mockup of what the final project will look like.

Just waiting on the new FSB/GB, and once it arrives, the barrel will get chopped, that thing installed, and...done.

As for a sling, I have a Bulgie black paratrooper.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:52 PM   #24
islandfocus2
Guns & Coffee
Contributor

AKaholic #: 159575

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnc View Post
The simplest mod is, you can cut the barrel to the FSGB and reapply the faux booster. With the barrel cut back the muzzle device provides an expansion space forward of the muzzle and will mitigate the flash. It’ll work like a brake/can.
That's a good idea. The booster will be functional rather than a barrel sleeve.
islandfocus2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 02:00 PM   #25
ddnc
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandfocus2 View Post
That's a good idea. The booster will be functional rather than a barrel sleeve.
Unlike the CR model which is a sleeve that extends the entire length of the piece on the K there is a space present before the sleeve part starts. So it’s like a short chambered can with a larger than diameter projectile exit orifice.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/attach...0&d=1530450932
Old 07-02-2018, 03:13 PM   #26
mishaco
Curio & Relic

For now, mine has the 4 piece on it w/o the internal bit. I'll get teh barrel circumsized this weekend probably.

I did switch slings. I found an AR15 end plate with a single point sling loop.
I put it on and went back to the thinner and lighter AKSU sling. Then i used an HK clip for the other end. So now its detachable anda bit more out of the way.
I do have a wide HK hook if i decide to go back to the black paratrooper sling though.

And again, if anyone knows where to get teh CNC Warrior device, hit me up please.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:44 PM   #27
ddnc
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaco View Post

And again, if anyone knows where to get teh CNC Warrior device, hit me up please.
@CNCwarrior
https://www.cncwarrior.com/SAM7K-Fol...ck-p/28095.htm
You just need the threaded hinge. That is unless you have a stamp and will be using a stock.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:43 PM   #28
TXsailor
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 193986

Misha, where did you get the Krink sling? I've been looking for one without any luck.
TXsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:28 AM   #29
mishaco
Curio & Relic

Yeah, funnily enough, i decided to call CNC Warrior again after posting here last. I was told a fresh batch of henges was just back from being finished and they were literally assembling them at that exact moment, and they'd go up on the site today.
So i ordered one, why not?

As to the sling? It came from K-Var ages ago. I bought a few of them to put with SLR104URs I was selling at one time.
Can't promise it, but I might have a spare.

I do't do PMs, but you are welcome to e-mail me.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:33 PM   #30
InsaneAuto86
SHTF Specialist

AKaholic #: 173989

sneak peak at mine, approved this week!

InsaneAuto86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:49 PM   #31
giantpune
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneAuto86 View Post
sneak peak at mine, approved this week!
Did you steal a folding stock/trunion off a vepr?
Old 07-09-2018, 04:55 PM   #32
mishaco
Curio & Relic

Replacement GB came in from K-Var, so just need to pin it on.
Then only waiting for the henge from CNC Warrior to come in. Frankly, surprised it isn't here yet but I guess the holiday slowed shipping down a bit. Not a big deal.

Hopefully, it will be ready to go by the time of our next range trip.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:33 PM   #33
extra300
Contributor

AKaholic #: 194748

Mishaco did you go with the Galil style stock or the integral buffer tube?

I'm basically going the same route as you with my SAM7K. Waiting for the FSB/GB and 4pc brake to come in. Debating on whether I want to deal with the additional expense and downtime to have someone install the proper triangle stock. I really want this build to be as "correct" as I can make it.

The only issue I have with the CNC W hinge is the bulkiness of the hinge and the additional length it adds overall. I have the CNC W folding hinge for my Yugo pistol and yes it's well made, just bulky. I just bought the StormWerks hinge which has a much smaller footprint. My options are still open.
extra300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:49 PM   #34
mishaco
Curio & Relic

It has the Stormworks on it at the moment.

I got the CNC henge because people kept going on about it on ehre, so figured I'd see how it was.

I am not doing an SBR, it will be a braced pistol.
Pretty much all the functionality and since the original Bulgie stock + block really isn't available anyway, its good enough for me.

I tend to only SBR guns I know i'll hang onto for a long, long time.
Fear of commitment? lol
Old 07-09-2018, 10:50 PM   #35
ddnc
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by extra300 View Post
Mishaco did you go with the Galil style stock or the integral buffer tube?

I'm basically going the same route as you with my SAM7K. Waiting for the FSB/GB and 4pc brake to come in. Debating on whether I want to deal with the additional expense and downtime to have someone install the proper triangle stock. I really want this build to be as "correct" as I can make it.

The only issue I have with the CNC W hinge is the bulkiness of the hinge and the additional length it adds overall. I have the CNC W folding hinge for my Yugo pistol and yes it's well made, just bulky. I just bought the StormWerks hinge which has a much smaller footprint. My options are still open.
The CNC hinge can be configured to accept a buffer tube type stock or a triangle stock configuration like the Manticore or Circle 10 aluminum triangle stocks for NFA purposes. Otherwise a Stormwerkz type hinge will also accommodate the aluminum triangle stocks to cut down on the length/ bulkiness.