Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > RKBA and Legal

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2019, 06:54 AM   #1
RuAk
Member
 
AKaholic #: 125726
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SW
Posts: 67
Default Stolen firearms difficult situation

I have been burglarized and had 3 firearms stolen along with mags and a surefire flashlight.

Before the burglary and before i left my house for work, i saw a junky guy in the back alley looking over my wall and i confronted him (with a glock 9 that he didn't see) and he was doped up acting like he was looking for something.

I found out it's my neighbors daughter boyfriend. These are completely new neighbors.

I didn't get a good feeling about this as he looked shady and looks like a junky but i had to go to work and i live alone. This was Thursday, Friday comes and all is well i leave for work and come home around 7am Saturday to find my window smashed in with a 25lb rock and my firearms missing.

I had gut feeling it was same guy looking over my wall.

I made the police report and mentioned to cops the guy that was looking over my wall and they couldn't do anything because theres no solid proof. I reported all three firearms but only had serial numbers to two firearms that i gave the police at the time of report.

Well i did my own investigating and decided to search up local recent mugshots and arrests and what do you know, the same guy i saw looking over my wall got arrested and had been charged with 3 counts of possession of weapon by prohibited user and various drug charges. He was arrested at 2am late Friday night early Saturday and i'm sure those are my 3 firearms. I made the report at 7am Saturday so when police ran the guns at 2 am at time of his arrest, they haven't been reported stolen yet. So they impounded the guns.

I called the police when i found all this out and they said i might be on to something.

I searched up the guy again and saw his bail was set at $2,700 and his next court date is March 15th.

I tried calling the cops again to try to link guns he was caught with to see if they are mine and to link it to the burglary so he can be charged with burglary but i had to call different divisions and some were already closed and alot of back and forth and no answers.

I tried searching the suspect up again and theres no record of him anymore which i think he posted bail and is out as i type this.

Are the cops going to run the guns again and match them to me and eventually link him to the burglary? It's 99.9% chance it's him. Nobody knows i have guns at all and i dont bring nobody to my home.

I have a feeling if he is out on bail that he will hide until he is caught.

I just got the serial # to the third firearm and i have to mail the serial number to the police which i think is dumb. Why can't i just call and add it to police report number?

This whole thing got me stressed out and i dont know what is going to happen.

I just want my guns back and all the mags and the surefire flashlight back and also want him charged with burglary.

Anyone have advice or similiar experiences with getting stolen guns back?


One thing is he got arrested in the next city over which is 3 miles from me, we are both in the same county.

I need this thief thug punished for his crimes.

Last edited by RuAk; 03-13-2019 at 07:00 AM.
RuAk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:20 AM   #2
sorryuquit
Veteran Member
Contributor
 
AKaholic #: 158770
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: that other Olean
Posts: 1,790
Default

At least you had the serial numbers. That goes a long way in recovering your stolen property. You would be surprised how many people don't. You should petition the court the thug is dealing with for return of your property. You should be patient, as they will need to hold on to them as evidence until the trial is over.
__________________
Attention All Units....................Miller County Sheriff’s Office, Deputy Sheriff Casey L. Shoemate, I.D.#5318 having served the citizens of Miller County in the State of Missouri with HONOR, PRIDE and DISTINCTION is now 10-42.
Rest In Peace my fallen brother, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN!!!
sorryuquit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:32 AM   #3
John A.
Curio & Relic
 
John A.'s Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 178172
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: not CALIFORNIA
Posts: 2,503
Default

^ This.

But the police dept should be able to tell you if the guns the guy was caught with were yours and matching your police report.

And not to be a Debbie downer, many cases like this can go on for a year or more.
John A. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:44 AM   #4
bondmen
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 86277
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Near The Big Muddy
Posts: 8,831
Default

Congratulations on knowing who your robber is, more than likely! And on having the serials as well.

You are in very good shape going into the justice system compared to many who did not have this information.

I wish you well in obtaining your property and as has been mentioned, wish you great patience in dealing with the police.
bondmen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:20 AM   #5
ol okie
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor
 
ol okie's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 171009
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Mighty mo.
Posts: 3,325
Default

I need to update all my numbers. As a matter of fact, I'll just do that today.
__________________
The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws. - Tactitus
ol okie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:07 AM   #6
svickstc
Veteran Member
 
AKaholic #: 168067
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Keystone State
Posts: 1,666
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol okie View Post
I need to update all my numbers. As a matter of fact, I'll just do that today.
a reminder to update my log book as well.

Tough break OP as this is one of my more larger fears of owning firearms, im assuming these guns were not locked up?
svickstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:33 AM   #7
ryanr256
5.45 FTW
 
ryanr256's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 157129
Join Date: May 2011
Location: somewhere between West and East
Posts: 1,207
Default

Forget the cops, talk to the prosecuters office. He's already been arrested. The cops don't care.

-Bob
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncreptile
At least they're not out there dressing up like animals like some of these nutjobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chknfkr View Post
Everybody needs a rifle with a magazine longer than its barrel.
ryanr256 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:47 AM   #8
def90
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 154917
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Boulder, Co
Posts: 7,051
Default

If they are yours you won't get them back until all.court cases are over. At this point they are booked evidence
def90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:36 AM   #9
gaigeboyd
Veteran Member
Contributor
 
gaigeboyd's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 195191
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: South East, GA
Posts: 1,442
Default

This thread inspired me to write down my makes and models SN. I spent the past half hour doing so.
__________________
"When I die I want to be embalmed in Cosmoline, stuck in a SKS Wooden Shipping Crate and stored away till they need me for the next Patriotic War."
- subcpo
gaigeboyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:52 AM   #10
Killface45
Veteran Member
 
AKaholic #: 181879
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,304
Default

First off sorry you have to go through this bullshit.

I was going to say call the prosecuters office but someone already did. I keep a written record of each gun and the serial number. Then on my harddrive I have pictures of each one. One of each side plus a close up of the serial number.
__________________
There, feel the glory of necrosis, and rejoice! Nurgle loves you!
Killface45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:13 PM   #11
csspecs
Spam bot
Vendor
 
AKaholic #: 157229
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Deland, Florida.
Posts: 3,405
Default

Sadly you are going to need to hound the department to get your stuff back.. They really don't want to give anything back as it involves paperwork.

If you keep on it, in a year or so you will get your stuff back.. Sooner if the guy pleads guilty rather than dragging it out.

But they are going to get him on the first charge and then likely on the second charges of burglary..

In my case I had guns stolen from my house by a friend that got on drugs.. Guy knew right where to go an how to get in as easy as possible... If I had a safe he would have stolen my cut off saw to get it open.

Security in your home is more than just a gun when you are there and a safe when you are not. You want to be able to stop people from freely accessing your home.. If you have a wall around your backyard, look into making getting over it less easy. Some nice decorative metal spikes make climbing over less easy. Roses climbing up the wall make it pretty much like a wall of razor wire.

There are window film coatings that are more difficult to breach than bars over the windows.

A gun safe is a good idea.. Nothing is as embarrassing as getting shot with your own gun.
__________________
http://stores.csspecs.com/
csspecs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:15 PM   #12
mace2364
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 10856
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 971
Default

Be persistent. Keep calling. Don’t settle for that “mail it in” bullshit either. That’s a nice way of saying they don’t really want to deal with you. If they won’t take the info over the phone, show up in person.

But be polite, if you’re a dick they probably aren’t going to go out of their way to help you. Would you? Of course not.

If you’re not getting anywhere, go talk the the chief or sheriff. They’re elected officials. And we pay their salaries. Again don’t be a dick, but that’s what they’re there for.


That’s the only reason I got ANY of my stuff back-most of it is still out there 6+ years later in part because I didn’t realize how hard I was going to have to push them to do something. To be fair, if the same thing happened where I live now, I think they’d probably take care of it. But not where I was before.

In the meantime, start “hardening” your place. Update your records, and put them somewhere safe. Video evidence makes these easier to deal with, so you might look at something that way. I’m going to go out on a limb, and say this shitbird wasn’t talking about the weather while he was in jail. So you should assume that his shitbird buddies know about whatever’s in your house of any value, and plan accordingly.
mace2364 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:16 PM   #13
sineypem
Texas Member
 
AKaholic #: 175069
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: East DFW
Posts: 2,192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaigeboyd View Post
This thread inspired me to write down my makes and models SN. I spent the past half hour doing so.
I took pictures, and emailed to myself
__________________
Speak up, you say this is your safety? Well, this is my boot, son, and it will fit up your ass with the proper amount of force!
sineypem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:43 PM   #14
Ram Rod
Ruler of Ramnation
Contributor
 
Ram Rod's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 182786
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: stone's throw from the Buffalo
Posts: 5,775
Default

Be sure to contact your NRA affiliated insurance for compensation. There is a 90 day limit to claim with them no matter if you have local report of stolen.
__________________
Misfit magazine garage repair guroo

Quote:
An armed citizenry, willing to fight, is the foundation of civil freedom. - Robert A. Heinlein
April 19th, 1775
A year before congress took action, American patriots fired on the armed forces of their own government.
Just sayin'

DEFCON 3

MAGA
MAWA
KAWA
Ram Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:20 PM   #15
Seven Click's Up
Member
 
AKaholic #: 13362
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol okie View Post
I need to update all my numbers. As a matter of fact, I'll just do that today.
Me too, and it's a good idea to take pictures of the gun, and another of the S/N.
Seven Click's Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:10 PM   #16
remauto1187
Veteran Member
 
AKaholic #: 176620
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: INDIANA (formerly Illinois) Cant imagine why I left there!
Posts: 1,344
Default

Stop fkn around with the peons. Call the chief of police or the sheriff himself. Tell him whats going on and ask him directly what day this week would be a good time for them for you to show up and identify your guns. If they still fk you around then call the state attorney general and fill them in on whats going on and specify you want complaint forms...the official ones! Being a pussy and a polite one at that after getting fkd around will get you nowhere.
__________________
"Its hard to troubleshoot with a dremel tool in your hand you dumbass!"
remauto1187 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:28 PM   #17
RuAk
Member
 
AKaholic #: 125726
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SW
Posts: 67
Default

Got an update today. The guns they found on him are mine. I finally got through to the detective assigned to the case. They know for sure two are mine and i gave him the third serial# and he thinks it's mine also (i know for sure it is) the reason why he says he thinks it's mine is because the arresting officer labled one as just a "assault rifle" with no name and the other two as the actual model and calibers. Beats me why they reported one as a assault rifle but the detective will match the serial to it and it will end up being mine.

As far as charges, he will get him on possesion of stolen property on top of whatever else he got arrested for.

I wasn't too happy about that as i know he burglarized my home and he might get away with that? Bs because i basically saw him scoping my house out. I guess there is a chance he had one of his buddys do it but i highly doubt it and i guess he could of said he bought the firearms off someone when he was caught with them.

Detective said he will try his best to get him on burglary charges, he said by trying to get him to confess. I don't think criminals confess so easily so i kind of doubt he will get a confession but you never know, he was stupid enough to burglarize a house and get caught few hours later with all the stolen stuff so he might be stupid to confess. Lets hope so

I thought that would of been enough to charge him with burglary.

This guy was released from prison in 2018 for burglary.

Appreciate the reply's.

My next steps is getting a nice camera set all around my house and motion detected lights around also with some window security film.

Getting a real safe too.
RuAk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:09 AM   #18
Shaggy
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 165600
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Snohomish co, WA
Posts: 2,638
Default

If you have any game cameras, it wouldnt hurt to set them up for a while too
Shaggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:30 AM   #19
paratrooper101
Curio & Relic
 
paratrooper101's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 4790
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 2,078
Default

Hope you get your possessions back. I have had things stolen and it's always a pain in the ass.
paratrooper101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:41 PM   #20
Black Blade
Curio & Relic
 
Black Blade's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 181106
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Yellowstone, Wyoming
Posts: 3,679
Default

Seriously though, do you really expect the cops to help you? Good if they do but you as the victim are not a priority. Sorry, that's just how it is.
__________________
"Participating in a gun buy back because you believe that the criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you believe that the neighbors have too many kids."
Black Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:58 PM   #21
sorryuquit
Veteran Member
Contributor
 
AKaholic #: 158770
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: that other Olean
Posts: 1,790
Default

As I said in my previous post, don't ask the cops for your guns back. Petition the court the dirtbag is dealing with, and it will be after his case is adjudicated.
__________________
Attention All Units....................Miller County Sheriff’s Office, Deputy Sheriff Casey L. Shoemate, I.D.#5318 having served the citizens of Miller County in the State of Missouri with HONOR, PRIDE and DISTINCTION is now 10-42.
Rest In Peace my fallen brother, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN!!!
sorryuquit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:27 PM   #22
IanMor
Retired Moderator.
 
IanMor's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 643
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: In Your Mom's Room
Posts: 12,992
Default

Get a metal fabricating company to put decorative "Blacksmithed" bars up on your basement windows, anchored through the foundation.

Harden the first-floor windows and doors.

Find some friends who will "take the trash out" for you.
__________________
http://www.novarata.net/images/n/ianmor-sigpic-241.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
AKfiles is a slightly retarded and magical place. Learn to love it's non-perfect-ness
IanMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:08 AM   #23
Sweedgar
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 184675
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 588
Default

As far as windows go look into Hurricane/Storm Impact Windows and for people up north Impact Insulated. You wont need Prison bars on your windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I36h5LOKhE
__________________
Bust A Deal
Face The Wheel

Last edited by Sweedgar; 03-15-2019 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Add vid.
Sweedgar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:40 PM   #24
jdg
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 182818
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,031
Default

Glad you found out those were your guns, and you will get them back eventually.... It does surprise me how many people that responded on this thread, that did not have a list of serial#s and description, pics of their guns! Keep a spread sheet on your computer, print one or two and keep in a safe location, I keep one on the bottom of a lake....
__________________
Active Airport shooter
jdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:10 PM   #25
Rforbus
Forum Bosche
Vendor
 
Rforbus's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 73701
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: U.S.A., Tennessee, Robertson County
Posts: 11,151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanr256 View Post
Forget the cops, talk to the prosecuters office. He's already been arrested. The cops don't care.

-Bob
^Best advice^ The police don't give a damn if you ever receive your property and if it stays loo long in their evidence locker it might "disappear" or return damaged. You may need an attorney to become involved if they drag their feet too long.
__________________
Best Regards,
Robert Forbus

Ing. Robert Forbus, International
Tools & Solutions For The Safe Disassembly & Assembly Of Your Kalashnikova Variant
Email - Robert.Forbus@robertforbus.com
Please do not use the PM system here to contact me!
Website - https://www.robertforbus.com

Tennessee Firearms Association member
Gun Owners of America member
N̶R̶A̶ ̶M̶e̶m̶b̶e̶r̶ (that's right - those mofos sold us out)
Patriot Guard Rider

Ignorance is the absence of knowledge...Stupidity is a commitment to ignorance. The first is easily remedied with facts...The second cannot be fixed...
Rforbus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:00 AM   #26
jdg
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 182818
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,031
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rforbus View Post
^Best advice^ The police don't give a damn if you ever receive your property and if it stays loo long in their evidence locker it might "disappear" or return damaged. You may need an attorney to become involved if they drag their feet too long.
I guess that varies by department. I had an incident, and the detective did all he could in his power to get my rifle back as fast as possible. OP, expect your weapons to get run through ballistics tests now that they have them, just to be sure they weren't used in a crime.
__________________
Active Airport shooter
jdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:43 PM   #27
ChileRelleno
Conservative Constitutionalist
Contributor
 
ChileRelleno's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 191808
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Lower Alabama
Posts: 131
Default

You absolutely need a lawyer to write a few letters at the very least, and initiate all contact/requests.
Nobody in LE is going to really give a damn about you or your firearms, you're just extra work/hassle.
And you better hope that the dept isn't one of the anti-gun ones that defy even court orders to return any firearms.
__________________
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."
ChileRelleno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:55 PM   #28
infamousj
Member
 
infamousj's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 174024
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: In a Badger/Gopher hole
Posts: 438
Default

I had several guns stolen from my house when it got broken into about 10 years ago...I found out who did it right away, called the county cops, they came out and filed a report-it was then assigned to a detective who went to this piece of shit and worked his magic...He called me a few days later and he had my guns, my card collection from when I was a kid, a camcorder, car stereo and some other shit...They all had evidence tags on them, I filed an insurance claim for many other things that were gone but unrecovered and the guy was charged with burglary and a couple other minor lame charges...I was just happy to have my guns back and overall it turned out well considering...
infamousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:31 AM   #29
Black Blade
Curio & Relic
 
Black Blade's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 181106
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Yellowstone, Wyoming
Posts: 3,679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousj View Post
I had several guns stolen from my house when it got broken into about 10 years ago...I found out who did it right away, called the county cops, they came out and filed a report-it was then assigned to a detective who went to this piece of shit and worked his magic...He called me a few days later and he had my guns, my card collection from when I was a kid, a camcorder, car stereo and some other shit...They all had evidence tags on them, I filed an insurance claim for many other things that were gone but unrecovered and the guy was charged with burglary and a couple other minor lame charges...I was just happy to have my guns back and overall it turned out well considering...
Should have also filed a lawsuit against the burglar and then hound him after he gets released even to the point of getting Sheriff's liens against any property he/she gets in the future. That's how to deal with these criminals. Make their lives a living hell as long as possible.
__________________
"Participating in a gun buy back because you believe that the criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you believe that the neighbors have too many kids."
Black Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:41 PM   #30
fastreb
Member
 
AKaholic #: 197580
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Arlington, TN
Posts: 34
Default

I have been a cop for 22+ years now. For eight of those years, I was a detective. I've worked in a burglary bureau, a general investigations bureau, a domestic violence bureau and a bureau that handled all major felonies that occurred from 4pm - 8am, including known-suspect homicides. I won't deny that we have a few LEOs who are lazy, incompetent or just there for a paycheck. The rest work very hard to uphold their oath and provide service to their communities. I won't go into all that goes into what patrolmen or detectives have to do. Suffice it to say, the attitude most attribute as a "don't care" is really a "crushed under the amount of work" problem.

OP, I commend you for having the serial numbers of your weapons. Most people don't. Without the make, model and serial number, or at least the make and serial number, there is no chance to either prosecute or return the weapon. That is because to either prosecute or return the weapon, we have to be able to say who owned the weapon.

Now, it's understandable that a lot of folks have no real knowledge of how the justice system works. I really wish that no one would ever have to find out that information by being victimized. And as much as I hate to say it, the crime problem in this country is probably only going to get much worse, not better.

I will say this, though. I was a Neighborhood Watch officer for many years and gave many presentations to groups in the community over the years about how to prevent being a victim. Overall, when out and about, situational awareness and being prepared for the unexpected goes a long ways to keep you from being surprised and victimized. Harden your house to keep from being a burglary victim. By that, I mean cut bushes back from your windows. Put up motion-activated lights high on the house (so they can't be broken out/disabled). If you have to replace a window/storm-door glass (or can afford to), use hardened acrylic panels instead of a glass replacement (they are much harder to shatter than glass). If you can afford to, get rid of the wooden door frames and install heavy-gauge metal ones. Install security doors on every entrance/exit door you can. Ditch any sliding doors, if possible. Buy a good quality safe (the bigger the better, as they're harder to move around the bigger and heavier they get) and install it with the largest bolts you can to either the floor or the wall. Get an alarm system installed and use it....always...even when home. Last but certainly not least, get the best burglar deterrent there is....a damn big dog, or better yet, get two. Small and medium-sized dogs get kicked out of the way or even stolen themselves. Burglars are scared of big dogs, and with good reason. If you do all that, or even half of that, 95% of the population will be burglarized before you do. But, above all else, get the big dog and keep it inside. Burglars understand that to be able to reach and disable the dog, they have to remove any barriers between themselves and the dog....meaning the dog can now reach them too. That's not what the burglar wants to happen.
fastreb is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2018 The AK FIles