Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AR15 / AR10

Notices

Old 04-16-2018, 05:43 PM   #36
Chuck53
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 170723

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdkf View Post
All my ARs run on steel cased. Only steel cased I had issues with was that bad batch of .223 Golden Tiger, which I returned. I kinda am OCD about not wasting a good reloadable brass case, steel I can shoot and don't have to worry about picking them up. If I have to pick them up a magnet on a stick makes quick work of it. Still in search of a magnet that will pick up brass cased.
You figure that out you won’t have to worry about buying ammo ever again.

Your biggest worry will be what model of private jet you want.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:15 PM   #37
uofaengr

AKaholic #: 185992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck53 View Post

LMAO post of the year
uofaengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:35 AM   #38
Ammosexual
It's sexual

AKaholic #: 188374

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck53 View Post

That and you'll have to carry a mop around with you the rest of your life...
Ammosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:38 AM   #39
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

Stick with Wolf or Barnaul 62 grain FMJ, not hollow points, not soft points.

Avoid Tulammo.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:00 PM   #40
captainstormy

AKaholic #: 195913

Quote:
Originally Posted by allesennogwat View Post
Avoid Tulammo.
That is pretty good advice even for an AK IMO. I've still got a few hundred rounds in the stockpile of it to shoot up, but I haven't bought any in years.

The Poly coated cases don't stop corrosion and the ammo itself isn't as accurate as others.

For the most part, I'd say Bear, Wolf and GT are all equally good and accurate.

As for steel in an AR. It will wear out your barrel and extractor in an AR faster than brass cased ammo. However, it'll take 10K rounds or so to do it. The price difference between steel vs brased on that many rounds could buy you an entire new gun if you wanted.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:24 PM   #41
wormraper
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 192990

lol, a little too late. I picked up 250 rounds of Tulammo today from Academy for $49.90 shipped as a "test" run.
wormraper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:30 PM   #42
uofaengr

What's funny is I have a 7.62x39 AR that I've grouped GT, 8M3, and plain old Tula FMJ which I never buy and the best groups consistently were, you guessed it, Tula. I have a pic somewhere here of 1 or 2 five shot groups of 1" @ 100 yd. Have never cared to group the .223.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:21 PM   #43
wormraper
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 192990

well, I tried to cancel the Tula but Academy already sent it to the shipping dept.... it's only 500 rounds (split between me and buddy, so 250 each) so I'll give it a test run. If Tulammo works then I can be guaranteed ANY of the other stuff works lol. I run carbine buffers in my middy builds so far, (except for LE6920, which came with an H, but it's carbine gas) so I'm hoping the carbine buffer means it will be easy to eat Tula
wormraper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:07 PM   #44
bigdkf

AKaholic #: 196142

You shouldn't have a problem going through 250rds. All my middys have Spike T2 buffers and they run every steel cased I have put through them including Tula. Granted there are other factors. My 11.5 pistol even runs steel cased and it has an H2 in it.
bigdkf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:03 PM   #45
Dragynn
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 170546

Quote:
Originally Posted by uofaengr View Post
Same here across any gun. And why I wouldn't bother with the 223 Wylde craze if it's going to be a blaster or all-purpose gun that potentially couldn't handle steel.

The only time I probably wouldn't use it would be in some $2k build setup for flea-hair accuracy with an expensive stainless barrel. In that case, no sense putting 85 octane in a Ferrari.
I no-shit shot the best 3-shot group of my life with Brown Bear .308 out of a Remmy 700 (26" barrel, caldwell bipod, Larue mount, Bushnell scope), .247 at 100, still have the target somewhere.

Don't count out the accuracy potential of steelcase.
((DB)) Deplorable Basterd brigade #47
Dragynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:00 PM   #46
uofaengr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragynn View Post
I no-shit shot the best 3-shot group of my life with Brown Bear .308 out of a Remmy 700 (26" barrel, caldwell bipod, Larue mount, Bushnell scope), .247 at 100, still have the target somewhere.

Don't count out the accuracy potential of steelcase.
True, see my post above about Tula

I meant more from the standpoint of a nice stainless barrel inherently having less life in it than others and putting bimetallic bullets through it.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:11 PM   #47
Henry Stevens

AKaholic #: 195633

Two questions about steel for the AR:

1. The extractor is going to have to grab steel rather than brass. Is the extractor on the AR built for this? Will it cause failure. Somewhere I read the AK 74 beefed up the extractor over the AK 47 for this reason.

2. Powder. We all know the AR is sensitive to the formula used. What do they use? Does it cause more fowling?
Henry Stevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:54 PM   #48
bigdkf

AKaholic #: 196142

I have not put one of my extractors on the rockwell tester to get the exact Rc but the extractor a lot harder than any of the steel cases out there. The steel cases have to be fairly soft and malleable or they will fail being worked and being fired. Yeah you maybe get more wear on the extractor but they are fairly cheap. You are still coming out ahead money wise using steel cased vs brass even though you usually see less barrel and extractor life. You should have spare parts on hand and that includes a spare bolt. They are consumable items and will eventually break. Besides with todays climate of asshole politicians and anti gunners you never know when you get a run on guns and parts become hard to get again.

From the steel cased bullets I have pulled and the quantity of powder in the cases I always figured they are using a faster powder. Makes sense really since you can use less powder per round of a faster powder thus helping to keep the cost per round down. I've seen stick powder and I have seen ball powder. What is pretty constant with steel cased .223 is it is on the weaker side. Always felt like middle of the road .223 load data to me. That is why all guns will not always run it. A buddy of mine has a lot of machine guns and uses a lot of Wolf steel cased. There is a very noticeable difference in cyclic rate between the Wolf steel cased vs Wolf Gold. Obviously that does not really apply to semis. Wolf Gold is loaded hotter.
bigdkf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:05 PM   #49
uofaengr

Wolf Gold is noticeably hotter than Wolf steel cased with completely different ejection in my AR. Makes sense with Gold being supposedly loaded to 5.56 spec. In my M90NP on the lowest gas setting, Wolf steel recoils like a BB gun and I love it.

The extractor thing has been beaten to death in pistol and rifle forums for ages.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:02 PM   #50
MudEagle

AKaholic #: 195679

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Stevens View Post
1. The extractor is going to have to grab steel rather than brass. Is the extractor on the AR built for this? Will it cause failure.
Given the amount of steel cased .223 that is shot through ARs in the United States (which is a lot), if its use caused premature wear or failure in the AR extractor, there would would be reports of, threads about, and pictures of, failed/torn up AR extractors all over the internet.
MudEagle is online now   Reply With Quote