Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 03-13-2018, 09:27 PM   #36
dan187
Ummm Hi?

AKaholic #: 174464

If your budget is high enough, I would go for a transferable Type 3, or Sako M92s....

Last edited by dan187; 03-13-2018 at 09:39 PM.
dan187 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:38 PM   #37
Centuriator

AKaholic #: 195948

Much retardation on this forum, I see. I'll fit right in.

LOL.

Centuriator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:53 PM   #38
TXsailor

AKaholic #: 193986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
A man with a file can rectify it in a couple minutes

Par for the course with combloc guns
You’re the type who would say “don’t buy a mustang, get a civic and spend the difference on gas, I’ll race a Shelby in my 89 civic any day!”

Just because it CAN be fixed doesn’t mean it’s a good value if you have to start doing work. The fact that “get a WASR” is almost ALWAYS followed by “and then get [X] rifle” just goes to show you should probably just start with [X] rifle and be a lot happier and spend $600 less in the long run. If a WASR is absolutely positively perfect for you, go for it. If it’s literally the only option you’ll be able to afford for the foreseeable future, better a WASR than a C39. But the idea that regardless of what one is looking for, the answer is ALWAYS WASR is old and tired.

As to why they’re the best selling option, the answer is simple: they’re cheap and prolific. For 10 years or more, if a gun store has ANY AK, they have a WASR. The same reason the C39 is selling well...
TXsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:56 PM   #39
Rev06
Titanium Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 185972

Avoid RAS 47, C39 or C39v2, PSA, DDI,

Watch a ton of you tube videos from AK Operators Union (AKOU)
Old 03-13-2018, 11:52 PM   #40
Kosmoline

AKaholic #: 186904

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXsailor View Post
You’re the type who would say “don’t buy a mustang, get a civic and spend the difference on gas, I’ll race a Shelby in my 89 civic any day!”

Just because it CAN be fixed doesn’t mean it’s a good value if you have to start doing work. The fact that “get a WASR” is almost ALWAYS followed by “and then get [X] rifle” just goes to show you should probably just start with [X] rifle and be a lot happier and spend $600 less in the long run. If a WASR is absolutely positively perfect for you, go for it. If it’s literally the only option you’ll be able to afford for the foreseeable future, better a WASR than a C39. But the idea that regardless of what one is looking for, the answer is ALWAYS WASR is old and tired.

As to why they’re the best selling option, the answer is simple: they’re cheap and prolific. For 10 years or more, if a gun store has ANY AK, they have a WASR. The same reason the C39 is selling well...
But really, who only owns one AK?

My Wasr was my first AK (and yes I have "higher end" AK's as well). Just because I wanted a Russian, Egyptian, Yugo, etc., I didn't want to sell my Wasr (and really if someone bought a Wasr and wasn't happy, I'm sure they would be able to sell it and recoup most if not all of their money). Variety is the spice of life after all.

Also, especially since Century started pushing their USA made shite, I rarely see any Wasr's for sale in MOST shops. Almost everything is C39, Ras47, or IO. At least a 10 to 1 ratio of USA junk to quality imports.

So why do I still say Wasr FTW? Because it's the cheapest (or has been) option that was built in a commie factory with good quality components. What if you buy an AK and decide you aren't a fan (I'm sure those people are out there somewhere)? Well, you're only, "out" $600 and could probably sell it fairly quickly and get your money back.
Kosmoline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:58 PM   #41
dan326
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 169937

Quote:

Are Arsenal AK's free of having any issues like the POS WASR's and in your opinion...what is the best value for your buck?
dan326 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:07 AM   #42
TheGreek!
ALPHA MALE

AKaholic #: 157160

If you've got the coin get an AES-10B RPK.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:23 AM   #43
wade2big

AKaholic #: 188836

Quote:

I agree with what is being said. It’s logical. He isn’t trashing a Wasr. He is being honest.
wade2big is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:26 AM   #44
4mula
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183879

I actually kinda agree with the guy who said get AR's as the AK market is shit currently.
That said, get one of below as they are all solid picks within the AK community,
WASR
SAR-1
MAK-90
Old 03-14-2018, 12:28 AM   #45
TXsailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan326 View Post
Are Arsenal AK's free of having any issues like the POS WASR's and in your opinion...what is the best value for your buck?
I don’t think Arsenal’s are all that great either based on what we’ve seen. Best bang for your buck depends entirely on what the individual wants.

There’s no singular answer, no one option everyone must own, or even SHOULD start with. I started with a WASR and hated it. So much so I got out of AKs entirely. Then got a PSA when my SKSs got lonely and loved it immensely more than the WASR, but it still wasn’t what I REALLY wanted, so now I’ve got WBP. If I’d started with the WBP I’d have an extra thousand dollars for mags and ammo. That’s my point. Immediately saying the answer is always WASR runs a high risk of wasted money still chasing better, or turning people off of the platform entirely. Which is why I said, if you don’t care about dimples, or lugs, or nice furniture, and don’t care if you have to fix things on the rifle out of the box, and want to go super cheap, yeah, go WASR. But before everyone always screams “just buy a WASR, it’s cheap”, we would do well to better flesh out their desires.

Especially since the OP here was a previous AK owner, he probably has a more developed taste than just “anything cheap”. If he’s planning on going modern, or wants a nice surplus stock, there are some great barreled receiver kits at Atlantic right now for the same price as a WASR but with a bit better quality. Maybe dimples matter, a SAR is something to look at. Maybe he’s got money and values milled, SAM7. The beauty of AKs is that here are so many different options, but unlike ARs, you can’t necessarily start from any base and be able to wind up with the result you want, so a well thought out approach can save a hell of a lot more money in the long run than buying a WASR. Buy once, cry once.

Last edited by TXsailor; 03-14-2018 at 12:35 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:43 AM   #46
4mula
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183879

Quote:
I don’t think Arsenal’s are all that great either based on what we’ve seen. Best bang for your buck depends entirely on what the individual wants. There’s no singular answer, no one option everyone must own, or even SHOULD start with. I started with a WASR and hated it. So much so I got out of AKs entirely. Then got a PSA when my SKSs got lonely and loved it immensely more than the WASR, but it still wasn’t what I REALLY wanted, so now I’ve got WBP. If I’d started with the WBP I’d have an extra thousand dollars for mags and ammo. That’s my point. Immediately saying the answer is always WASR runs a high risk of wasted money still chasing better, or turning people off of the platform entirely. Which is why I said, if you don’t care about dimples, or lugs, or nice furniture, and don’t care if you have to fix things on the rifle out of the box, and want to go super cheap, yeah, go WASR. But before everyone always screams “just buy a WASR, it’s cheap”, we would do well to better flesh out their desires. Especially since the OP here was a previous AK owner, he probably has a more developed taste than just “anything cheap”. If he’s planning on going modern, or wants a nice surplus stock, there are some great barreled receiver kits at Atlantic right now for the same price as a WASR but with a bit better quality. Maybe dimples matter, a SAR is something to look at. Maybe he’s got money and values milled, SAM7. The beauty of AKs is that here are so many different options, but unlike ARs, you can’t necessarily start from any base and be able to wind up with the result you want, so a well thought out approach can save a hell of a lot more money in the long run than buying a WASR. Buy once, cry once.
WASR's while less costly than other AK's are really not that much different from other brands.
Other brand AK's also have canted sights, gas tubes and so on.
While some brands are more 'refined' with better furniture, at the end of the day, they are no more reliable than the WASR.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:46 AM   #47
Kosmoline

AKaholic #: 186904

Quote:
I don’t think Arsenal’s are all that great either based on what we’ve seen. Best bang for your buck depends entirely on what the individual wants.

There’s no singular answer, no one option everyone must own, or even SHOULD start with. I started with a WASR and hated it. So much so I got out of AKs entirely. Then got a PSA when my SKSs got lonely and loved it immensely more than the WASR, but it still wasn’t what I REALLY wanted, so now I’ve got WBP. If I’d started with the WBP I’d have an extra thousand dollars for mags and ammo. That’s my point. Immediately saying the answer is always WASR runs a high risk of wasted money still chasing better, or turning people off of the platform entirely. Which is why I said, if you don’t care about dimples, or lugs, or nice furniture, and don’t care if you have to fix things on the rifle out of the box, and want to go super cheap, yeah, go WASR. But before everyone always screams “just buy a WASR, it’s cheap”, we would do well to better flesh out their desires.

Especially since the OP here was a previous AK owner, he probably has a more developed taste than just “anything cheap”. If he’s planning on going modern, or wants a nice surplus stock, there are some great barreled receiver kits at Atlantic right now for the same price as a WASR but with a bit better quality. Maybe dimples matter, a SAR is something to look at. Maybe he’s got money and values milled, SAM7. The beauty of AKs is that here are so many different options, but unlike ARs, you can’t necessarily start from any base and be able to wind up with the result you want, so a well thought out approach can save a hell of a lot more money in the long run than buying a WASR. Buy once, cry once.
I can get behind most of that. Absolutely don't buy something just because the price is right if you really want something else. Buy what makes you happy.

The only problem can be that your tastes/needs may change a few years down the road no matter how thought out the plan of today. So it goes.

I also hope you didn't lose $1000 on the Wasr and PSA! That would probably mean you had a boating accident or they blew up on you and it was a total loss. I'm hoping you got some money back when you sold the Wasr and PSA (and probably didn't lose a bunch unless you bubba'd the hell out of it or bought it at the height of the Sandy Hook panic).
Kosmoline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:58 AM   #48
dan326
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 169937

Quote:
Immediately saying the answer is always WASR runs a high risk of wasted money still chasing better, or turning people off of the platform entirely. Buy once, cry once.
You're entitled to your own opinion.

I happen to be one of those guys who likes WASR's and the other Romarm rifles.
They're factory original firearms with chrome lined barrels and no cast parts.

They'll never win a beauty contest as far as the finish goes but Arsenals have had their issues with shitty ass paint and canted sites.

My 2014 is as straight as they come with nice rivets, action is smooth and I've had no malfunctions with my modest round count of approx. 1500 rounds. (likely more)
It's been a mix of brass cased to steel cased. FMJ's and HP's with 0 (zero) issues.

All mil. spec. mags fit perfectly with no wobble.
Russian Bakelite, Romy/Yugo/Chinese Steel all the way to a Russian Waffle mag.
All flawless.
dan326 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:21 AM   #49
wormraper
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 192990

Quote:

I agree with you on Arsenal (at least their stamped rifles. The milled guns are incredible).

HOWEVER, I disagree about your opinion on the WASR. You know I have NOTHING against you buddy, and really don't take this the wrong way, but I think your previous experience with your shitty WASR (I totally believe you that you had a shitty one too) has tainted your opinion on them. By and large the WASR and various other Romarm Cugir guns have been sold by the MILLION over here, and by and large they have very little problems. I agree that there are some annoying issues, but they offer an incredible bang for your buck when on sale and have been time tested as VERY durable.

now I agree that the "always a WASR!" is not always correct, but I understand WHY it can be the default. When someone is looking for a first AK it can be the cheapest of the "good" options, and with some tweaks on the furniture it allows the buyer to get a great gun for minimal coin. And as for the "why not save up for the one you want to start with", that's not how the AK game works. You know as well as anyone that these are like pringles, you can't have just one . I have a WBP, a WASR, a SAR-1 (love that one btw) and an N-pap, and I still want more and think the WASR hangs with the big ones. Heck I even got rid of my 107r because I thought the Arsenal wasn't worth the price premium (at that point the 107r was $749.99 + shipping and the WASR was $534.13 shipped)
wormraper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:22 AM   #50
Zemlyak
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 183159

Quote:
Originally Posted by flakman View Post
Get Vepr or Arsenal

^ this, I don’t buy anything with the name Century near by my rifles... BTW Vepr 7.62x39 in wood is available in Classicfirearms. With the proper conversion nothing could beat this AK in quality.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/russ...-762-39-16-wpa
Old 03-14-2018, 08:13 AM   #51
Jabes0623
UNDOCUMENTED

AKaholic #: 173872

OP says he’s got the cash, the ammo & the mags. So why recommend the man a WASR?

You roll in here & say: “What should I get for my first AK? I’ve got a G to spend.” The proper answer is WASR, mags & ammo. But that’s not who the OP is.

OP go on the secondary market & find an SGL21, SLR107FR, O-PAP or a VEPR FM11. Those are the best 7.62 AK’s imported since you left the game a decade ago.
Jabes0623 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:50 AM   #52
TXsailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmoline View Post

I also hope you didn't lose $1000 on the Wasr and PSA! That would probably mean you had a boating accident or they blew up on you and it was a total loss. I'm hoping you got some money back when you sold the Wasr and PSA (and probably didn't lose a bunch unless you bubba'd the hell out of it or bought it at the height of the Sandy Hook panic).
In the end nothing is really LOST lol. Sold the WASR, used the money to buy a Garand, and I'm keeping the PSA as it's a great rifle and I have no real complaints about it, I just really wanted something imported too lol. Hell what I REALLY want is a Russian type 3... so I guess either a Saiga or SAM7 will be on the list... Or both...
Old 03-14-2018, 08:55 AM   #53
Romy_G

AKaholic #: 195355

The reason so many of us recommend the WASR is because we recognize it for what it truly is. A good, affordable base rifle. If you just want to have an AK to take to the range and shoot as is, the WASR is a great choice for that. If you want to strip the furniture off and set it up the way you want, it's a great choice for that too.
Romy_G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:11 AM   #54
Bullseye01

AKaholic #: 182460

Some decent looking rifles on Armslist in Missouri
Bullseye01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:14 AM   #55
HairTrigger
Contributor

AKaholic #: 164970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasrbuffalo View Post
+1

Who gets out of the "AK platform" anyways??
Old 03-14-2018, 10:59 AM   #56
Pheenix11
Contributor

AKaholic #: 187397

If money were no object I'd get a VEPR or an SGL. But of course you're looking at $1500 to over $2000 currently on Gunbroker for those. At that point, even if you have the money you kinda wonder if one of those is worth two of another rifle like the WBP.
Pheenix11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:53 AM   #57
uncledarryl

AKaholic #: 176038

Buy an slr 101s/ sam7 and thank me later
uncledarryl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:38 PM   #58
hansellhd
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 163202

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncledarryl View Post
+1

They won't let you down, well built Gun.

Atlantic WBP another good option.

If you don't have that kind of money go with NPAP/WASR.
Avoid any all American part AK's from IO/Century.

If you follow these instructions you will do just fine.

hansellhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:39 PM   #59
Kiowa

AKaholic #: 188948

WASR haters gonna WASR hate lol hell many of 7.62x39 AKM's have come and gone through my safe but one has always stayed and that's my romanian GP WASR 10/63 she was a ugly duckling at first but F me if she hasn't been a solid mother lover lol ow if money no subject hell yes get you a SLR/VEPR/SAIGA. There's a VEPR and 2 Bulgarians and a Chinese in my safe and I love them and all run but so does my nasty WASR.
Kiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:20 PM   #60
Duke1973

AKaholic #: 195781

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
I agree with you on Arsenal (at least their stamped rifles. The milled guns are incredible).

HOWEVER, I disagree about your opinion on the WASR. You know I have NOTHING against you buddy, and really don't take this the wrong way, but I think your previous experience with your shitty WASR (I totally believe you that you had a shitty one too) has tainted your opinion on them. By and large the WASR and various other Romarm Cugir guns have been sold by the MILLION over here, and by and large they have very little problems. I agree that there are some annoying issues, but they offer an incredible bang for your buck when on sale and have been time tested as VERY durable.

now I agree that the "always a WASR!" is not always correct, but I understand WHY it can be the default. When someone is looking for a first AK it can be the cheapest of the "good" options, and with some tweaks on the furniture it allows the buyer to get a great gun for minimal coin. And as for the "why not save up for the one you want to start with", that's not how the AK game works. You know as well as anyone that these are like pringles, you can't have just one . I have a WBP, a WASR, a SAR-1 (love that one btw) and an N-pap, and I still want more and think the WASR hangs with the big ones. Heck I even got rid of my 107r because I thought the Arsenal wasn't worth the price premium (at that point the 107r was $749.99 + shipping and the WASR was $534.13 shipped)
Very well said IMO! I have 2 WASR’s and yes they’re not beautiful works of art but they sling the lead with bump stocks like a mother-F’er! Caught hand guards on fire a few times but after good cleaning they still shoot fine. I’m a WASR man, that’s right..
Old 03-14-2018, 02:25 PM   #61
Browning Hi Power
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 191931

Quote:

And being so prolific, especially in a community that shoot their rifles regularly like people here, how many report issues? And how serious are the issues when they are reported? One thing you're missing is that when a WASR runs, which is the vast majority of the time, then it will last a lifetime. This has been proven over and over. BFLV always has WASRs in their arsenal to use as full automatics because they have such great experiences with them and because they last for tens of thousands of rounds. Rob has well over 10,000 rounds through his and has reported no wear issues.

The WBP Atlantic builds that you're talking about, while nice builds, are not nearly as proven. Nobody has a high round count one. On top of that, how many WBP builds are out there and how many WASRs are out there? Of course you're going to see more issues crop up with WASRs when they exponentially outnumber other AKs being sold. Go to the Glock forums or google "Glock issues" and then tell me about this non-existent perfect track record gun you'd like to recommend. If you look around, by the way, people have reported issues with their WBP builds though Atlantic took care of them...
Browning Hi Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:29 PM   #62
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

AKaholic #: 5008

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula View Post
I actually kinda agree with the guy who said get AR's as the AK market is shit currently.
For this reason , you can count me as #4 to agree with this mentality.

AK market is goofy again, sit it out.......simple rule of thumb, Buy low, Sell high.

You don't do it ass backwards. There's always the secondary market if you're really wanting it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairTrigger View Post

Who gets out of the "AK platform" anyways??
People that put a limitation of cost investment on a limited and dated rifle design......and upgrade.

I have bought from these types......so I'm aware of reasons.

Quote:
Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort. John F Kennedy 1961
Aceshigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:51 PM   #63
Longshot725
Patriot
Contributor

AKaholic #: 168398

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncledarryl View Post
You can't argue with this advice.
I have one of each and they're awesome!

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government."
-Thomas Paine-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMor View Post
...Go to hell. Enjoy the ban. Get tapeworm.
Longshot725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:22 PM   #64
bondmen
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 86277

Foreign arsenal made AKs will hold their value. The milled AKs are tops.

There are these options available now:

https://www.classicfirearms.com/zast...-2mags762x39sa

https://www.gunsmidwest.com/arsenal-...5-7-62x39.html

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/

III
bondmen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:50 PM   #65
Master Z

AKaholic #: 191513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
A man with a file can rectify it in a couple minutes

Par for the course with combloc guns
I totally agree with this.
If you are not comfortable with using simple hand tools the AK may not be for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxbob View Post
Get or stay with an Ar-15. All you ever hear about Ak’s is problems with them.
You want to talk about problems? Have you visited an AR forum? LOL
But seriously, all forums for a particular make will have people griping and complaining about something. Even the AK's. ( But IMO its to a lesser extent.)
But picking up an AR or preferably building one would be a good option considering the high pricing and limited models of the AK that are available new.
Used market is always there too but you will pay a premium, in the current market, for the more desirable ones.

OP good luck on your hunt! Share what you finally choose.