Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > General Rifle Discussion

Notices

Old 05-18-2017, 11:19 PM   #36
Highpower
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 159128

I have both a FAL and a PSL. I like them both and neither is for sale. My PSL is about a 1.5" rifle at 100 yards with the right ammo. To expect sniper accuracy out of cheap surplus ammo is setting yourself up to be disappointed. Mine has never had a FTF or a FTE with any of the four magazines I have. If you get it, be sure and do the gas port mod and then you can shoot any weight bullet you want w/o worrying about damaging the trunnion.

The cool factor is way out there and it certainly gets a lot of looks at the range. But then the FAL gets it's share of admirers also. From a value standpoint, I think the PSL will probably be worth more down the road.

Highpowers rules of gun collecting:

1. Never let a deal get away from you.

2. Never sell your guns.
Highpower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:50 AM   #37
Ulfrinn
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 183902

What I think would be cool would be to make a PSL style rifle out of a VEPR 308. So you have not only have a PSL type weapon for your collection but the same caliber as your other FALs.
Ulfrinn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:07 AM   #38
voron
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 174098

there is quite a mis-information in this thread. First off, i would not say that FAL is a far superior platform to the PSL. thats none-sense. A well built PSL is nothing more than a Kalashnikov long-stroke piston rifle chambered in 54r.

i own multiple grade FALs, and and a shitton of AKs. I like them both, but reliably definitely goes to the AK.

Also, reloading. You can reload for the PSLs/AK platform rifles. I do. You use weather stripping/gorilla tape on the dust cover to minimize the damage to the case. Problem solved.

As far as reliability, the main issue with PSLs are the mags. You gotta weed out the shitty ones and then you are good to go. Numerous time i have seen in classes this exact issue. But....back then mags were available and cheap, not so much now. A well built PSL will hold about 2-3 inch group, just like the FAL. Recoil is there, you'll get used to it.

from the economic stand point you will benefit from the trade because PSL value will only go up.

BAN SIG 2017
voron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:08 AM   #39
voron
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 174098

dt

BAN SIG 2017
voron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:35 PM   #40
Choppa city

AKaholic #: 188753

Make sure to get a romanian factory built psl. Mine has a 10 rnd, and 5rnd mag both serialized to the rifle. It runs flawless. Has the belarus scope. Ive heard the factory converted 5 rnd mags are worth some good money. 3 came with my rifle, but only 1 is matching serials.
Choppa city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:45 PM   #41
panzertruppe
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3934

Thanks for additional input,

Plot thickens....

Spoke with trader, not a Cugir. He called it "a solid build", says it has "Knox" near the magwell. Pic will be attached, he will send more pics later today... I told him I'm NOT a CAI build fan. We shall see if y'all can't make anything good or bad from "Knox" reference or pics.

panzertruppe
panzertruppe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:42 PM   #42
cztulsa
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 172236

"Knox", short for "Knoxville TN" - TGI gun, probably called an "FPK". Now, a TGI import, or TGI build; I believe they did both.

EDIT: Here, scroll down a few pics to the magwell markings pic; I'll bet this is what he has:

http://www.designatedmarksman.net/romanian_psl.html
Old 05-19-2017, 03:20 PM   #43
hansellhd
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 163202

Quote:
Originally Posted by cztulsa View Post
"Knox", short for "Knoxville TN" - TGI gun, probably called an "FPK". Now, a TGI import, or TGI build; I believe they did both.

EDIT: Here, scroll down a few pics to the magwell markings pic; I'll bet this is what he has:

http://www.designatedmarksman.net/romanian_psl.html
That's exactly the Rifle I had, marked FPK. I purchased it back in 2007 for $710.00 OTD and sold it for $1390.00 on GB 4 years ago. I would describe the build quality/ fit/ finish as crude, it's basically an overgrown WASR. I will say that it was a good investment, for me that's about all it was.

hansellhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:50 PM   #44
panzertruppe
Curio & Relic

Thanks again,

Keep it coming.

So is it a bastard/hybrid? The article CZ sent says it's a PSL but is it considered one by the "PSL Crowd"? Not sounding like it has ANY type of pedigree... Obviously it was "desirable" at one time though.. 1390 wow!

Yes CZ, I forgot to mention "FPK" is in the magwell area too. I bet you're right and thanks!

"The location of this Tennessee Guns marking indicates this PSL rifle was assembled in the U.S. on a Romanian receiver"...

So does this make this gun worth having...? Kinda like "Made in Romania, Assembled in America".. Like some Browning Hi Powers and G3s.. Made in Belgium or Germany, assembled in Portugal...

Voron, I understand your premise and it's credible. But the FAL possess many more refined, forged, and machined parts which in and of itself means nothing except these parts have been proven time and again, if for no other reason than the origin is from superior western manufacturing and economics, to be akin to the parts of a Swiss or German watch. Won't debate reliability as such, but it is no mystery the stamped guns of the mighty Soviet Empire are not the quality gun based on craftsmanship as the west, or at least the FAL, inside and out. And this is not a form vs function thing either. The FAL is a well crafted and built rifle as are the SVDs, albeit lacking the craftsmanship and quality of parts. The "5 Year Plan" of the Sviet Empire won't cut it against good ole capitalism here.

panzertruppe

Last edited by panzertruppe; 05-19-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:16 PM   #45
cztulsa
Curio & Relic

I believe "FPK" was the name Tennessee Guns gave their PSL; I had an FPK Paratrooper that I sold last summer - never shot it. Seemed like it was built well enough, but ended up getting a Century imported PSL in a trade, and then picked up a 16" x54 Vepr that I'd been looking for for a while, so the "oddball" had to go.

Scroll to the bottom of that link, and that's the TGI fabrication I had.

Last edited by cztulsa; 05-19-2017 at 07:26 PM.
cztulsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:28 PM   #46
Choppa city

U want a romak3. I believe thats the cugir built, imported rifle, with mags serialized to rifle.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:02 AM   #47
greendevil41

AKaholic #: 8106

Panzerman,
Not sure on the TGI rifles but at some point you MUST scratch that PSL itch!
Of course there are more accurate rifles but they do look cool and are a nice start for your commbloc DMR collection..

greendevil41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:07 AM   #48
AdamP123
((((-(-(-_-)-)-))))

AKaholic #: 154955

This is tough because 54r is not as plentiful as it was in the past. I've owned quite a few PSLs. Some were more accurate than others. Some were absolutely flawless in function and a couple were somewhat problematic. All of the issues were related to feeding. Overall, they are great rifles. Regardless, I would trade a FAL for a PSL without hesitation, especially if you have multiple FALs and only $700 or less into them. It sounds like a damn good trade to me.

Я люблю котов! У меня нет кота, но они очаровательны. Я люблю разговаривать с людьми в парке о своих домашних кошках. Кошки могут быть настолько привередливыми! Вы когда-нибудь задумывались что кошки думают? Много приветствий! Адам.
AdamP123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:21 AM   #49
panzertruppe
Curio & Relic

Cool,

It seems to be made in Romania, built in America... Studio waiting on more pics but I'm sure CZ is on...

So, its value HARDLY seems real deal Romak/Cugir level...

panzertruppe
Old 05-20-2017, 12:25 AM   #50
AdamP123
((((-(-(-_-)-)-))))

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzertruppe View Post
Cool,

It seems to be made in Romania, built in America... Studio waiting on more pics but I'm sure CZ is on...

So, its value HARDLY seems real deal Romak/Cugir level...

panzertruppe
It's not worth trading for unless it's Romarm/Cugir.

Я люблю котов! У меня нет кота, но они очаровательны. Я люблю разговаривать с людьми в парке о своих домашних кошках. Кошки могут быть настолько привередливыми! Вы когда-нибудь задумывались что кошки думают? Много приветствий! Адам.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:27 AM   #51
Floivanus

AKaholic #: 191191

54r ammo is mostly on its way out, you won't find much other than plinking ammo or some quality milsurp stuff, 308 has a much better selection than 54r. If you want an overblown AK in 54r or 308 go vepr, very happy with mine, around 1" groups and I'm a terrible shot. In 10-15 years they could be collectors items as well.

For financial purposes trading the FAL for the PSL could work out well. To get a chance to mess with one I'm sure it's worth it, if tour FAL was cheap enough
Floivanus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:51 PM   #52
Highpower
Veteran Member

I can find 54r ammo easily at my local Walmart. Cost about the same as .308. The answer is to reload if you are shooting either one.

2. Never sell your guns.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:50 PM   #53
cztulsa
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
I can find 54r ammo easily at my local Walmart. Cost about the same as .308. The answer is to reload if you are shooting either one.
Pretty much, unless you have a good stock already.

And what is with many in this crowd? If it ain't cheap to shoot, avoid it? Missing out on some really, really nice hardware with that mindset.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:51 PM   #54
Floivanus

54r is a niche round that does what 308 does just not as well or in as compact of a form. Yes I can find 54r ammo at walmart, it's typically not great, and I don't feel like reloading for a gun that eats brass (vepr or psl for instance)

If cheap were better to shoot I wouldn't be shooting 500SW, 458 socom or any of my goofy big bore crap. If you want an Accurate PSL? Cugir built is your best bet. If you want an SVD, get one, if you want an accurate AK-ish 54r or 308 gun get a Vepr.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:48 PM   #55
panzertruppe
Curio & Relic

OK then,

Homeboy DOESN'T have what he THINKS he has, ie real deal Romak/Cugir... What's a "Made Romania" "Built in America" worth....? Not 1600... Heck, I was seeing 1200-1400 tops on some.. NOT 1600, HA!

Seems like he might owe me some money, LOL!!!

panzertruppe
Old 05-20-2017, 10:50 PM   #56
Highpower
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzertruppe View Post
What's a "Made Romania" "Built in America" worth....? Not 1600... Heck, I was seeing 1200-1400 tops on some.. NOT 1600, HA!

Seems like he might owe me some money, LOL!!!

panzertruppe

If I was to sell my gen-u-wine Romanian Cugir PSL, I personally wouldn't take less than $1500. But then I got mine NIB with matching numbered scope and two mags (I have since bought two more) and all the accessories that they come with. I even have an extra set of NOS wood.

But mines not for sale.

I did make a adjustable cheek rest for it too:

2. Never sell your guns.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:13 PM   #57
panzertruppe
Curio & Relic

Braggart!

All I wanted was an answer to my question and you shove THAT in my face...

THANKS Hi Power...!!!

panzertruppe
Old 05-20-2017, 11:47 PM   #58
Sigiloso
Banned

AKaholic #: 185454

About all I have to add is that I wouldn't be looking at what I had into my FALs, but replacement cost, in todays market, when valueing them

Beyond that, if you've got several FALs and the PSL turns out to be a good one, I'd say why not, if the figures add up and its what you want.
Sigiloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:13 AM   #59
AdamP123
((((-(-(-_-)-)-))))

That is pretty damn slick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
If I was to sell my gen-u-wine Romanian Cugir PSL, I personally wouldn't take less than $1500. But then I got mine NIB with matching numbered scope and two mags (I have since bought two more) and all the accessories that they come with. I even have an extra set of NOS wood.

But mines not for sale.

I did make a adjustable cheek rest for it too:

Old 05-21-2017, 12:54 AM   #60
Floivanus

If you really want the PSL meet at the range, shoot the PSL, see how it groups, good enough for you, take it.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:10 AM   #61
panzertruppe
Curio & Relic

Well that would be great flo

But after being better educated by y'all, if I'm getting it, test shoot or not, I wanna pay or trade what it's worth. If it's what CZ/hanselhnd/hi pwr/adam et al have indicated it is, as I said earlier, it's not worth 1600 like this guy thinks it is...

The sources indicate it's made in Romania, assembled here... On surplus parts no less... Guess I'll just run with that, let this guy know it, and go from there... 650 is all he'll get if I do it... Right? No loss in keeping the fal either...

panzertruppe
Old 05-21-2017, 02:39 AM   #62
Bolt2bounce
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 14269

there is no way to tell what it is..if it's a TGI .. it could have been sold as a receiver or a built gun...and if it was built up by a guy no telling what quality is like... not likely worth top dollar over a factory gun...now a factory gun can be a dog too...but will have more collector value...I built three PSL's two on original TGI receivers which required a LOT of fitting work, as they were never finished...that is the receiver its self was not completed machined parts would not drop in.. I had to open up the trigger cut out, machine the scope rail and rivet one front scope rail rivet...trim the upper receiver rail.. to fit the Bolt carrier..it was a lot of metal to remove... that being said even a kit built PSL maybe worth upwards of 700-1100 $$ these days... but I'd not take a guys word for "a solid build" at face value... common problems are scope rail fitting magazine fitting and over gassed gas port.. all of mine were over gassed...they all got a gas port plug tuned to shoot heavy ball if desired...as far as a trade FALs are a lot more common and can be replaced easier that a PSL these days... B2B
Bolt2bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:29 AM   #63
JimMac
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 169345

I don't have a fal, but do own 3 Psl's. If it's something you want and can meet up and try it out I say do the trade. Someone is always going to do a little better in a trade but in the end your getting what you want.
I've always wanted a broomhandle Mauser, after the big gun panic I advertised a neutered wasr for trade. Guy had one of those mixed parts c96 from China. We both agreed the pistol was worth less than the ak in those days but I was happy to trade. I had 250 in the ak, the next day he had the ak advertised for 1350. I still have broom and happy with it. Jim
JimMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:39 AM   #64
cztulsa
Curio & Relic

My limited understanding is that on the TGI rifles, if it is marked under the receiver, it's US-made, on the left side of the RSB, it's imported. Having said that, if I really wanted a PSL, I might pay up to $900 to $1000 for a TGI domestic if it was very nice. Imports I might go $1400 if I really wanted one. $1600? Nope. I'd pay $1600 for a Springfield SAR-48, though. But then I'm a bit of an FAL homer.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:56 PM   #65
panzertruppe
Curio & Relic

Guys,

Thanks. I might pm some of y'all, but I think I'm set. I know what's at stake here and I'll keep you informed!

Thanks again everyone. This is why the AK files is the ballz!

panzertruppe

Last edited by panzertruppe; 05-21-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:37 PM   #66
Choppa city

Imported ones have the bolt hold open feature, most kit builds dont have it, if i remember correctly. Mines also missing bayonet lug, because it was imported during ban.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:24 PM   #67
EastgermanDDRguy

AKaholic #: 175010

I have both rifles... Do the trade I love shooting my PSL over my Argy Fal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-Element
A Balkan dies every time a tapco mag is inserted into a Zastava
EastgermanDDRguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:12 PM   #68
panzertruppe
Curio & Relic

He hasn't spoken with me since Fri,

I think he has lost interest or I knew more about the subject matter than him... That doesn't spell profit margin in the eyes of the uneducated...

I'm dealing on a Finn m39 and m48a now, with ammo... His loss...

panzertruppe
Old 05-22-2017, 10:17 PM   #69
boomerdog
Coming 'round the mountain

AKaholic #: 76368

Some things ain't meant to be.
Keep your eyes peeled for a cugir for the long haul. This thread shows opinions of anything less.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:31 PM   #70
bounce19712
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 8142

good
Your revolution is over, Mr. Lebowski. Condolences. The bums lost. My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski? The bums will always lose!

temp ban award winner: ka64
Posting a .gif of a Male Motor boating a woman's ass/vag from behind. No true nudity due to camera angle, still a sex act in the general forums...
bounce19712 is online now   Reply With Quote