Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Ammunition

Notices

Old 05-18-2017, 01:07 PM   #1
New Generation

AKaholic #: 157157
Default 7.62x39: GT, Wolf Mil Spec, or Barnaul Lacquered and Sealed?

Forgive me if this has been covered already but what is the current community report on performance on the current lacquered and sealed 7.62x39mm options on the market? Namely interested in GT, Wolf Mil-Spec, and Barnaul Mil-Spec. Factors considered would be reliability of ignition, accuracy, average velocity, etc.

Thank you.
New Generation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:03 PM   #2
single hook
cracker-ass cracker !

AKaholic #: 9068

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Generation View Post
Forgive me if this has been covered already......
Oh yeah, it has been. This is an internet forum, so pretty much everything has been asked and answered already.
But no harm/no foul IMO, but prepare for a fresh ball-busting anyway !

(FWIW, from what I've been hearing, though GT was once the darling of AK afficianados (my favorite,too), it seems to be having some QC issues in recent batches. Barnaul's Brown Bear seems to be the new favorite, especially since RobSki's tests, and Wolf has long been a fairly consistent performer. As I understand, it's all they use at Battlefield Las Vegas, which should be more than enough endorsement for anyone here).

Last edited by single hook; 05-18-2017 at 02:12 PM.
single hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:19 PM   #3
brawny
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 187460

Either of those three will suffice for everything except match shooting.
Youtube is also your friend. Tula seems to be the least favorite for reasons that escape me now.
1biggun knows a ton about how accurate an ak can be
1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Let not him who girds on his armor boast like him who takes it off.
King Ahab
brawny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:24 PM   #4
Just a Citizen
Not the Sharpest Crayon in the box.

AKaholic #: 173954

Vympel has had the issues with setting the primer too deep, causing failures to fire for a few years now, it started around 2013 not as bad as it was but the issue still pops up, It's not as consistent either according to the testing rob did.

Wolf mil spec.
"The right of a citizen to bear arms, in lawful defense of himself or the State, is absolute. He does not derive it from the State government. It is one of the "high powers" delegated directly to the citizen, and `is excepted out of the general powers of government.' A law cannot be passed to infringe upon or impair it, because it is above the law, and independent of the lawmaking power." [Cockrum v. State, 24 Tex. 394, at 401-402 (1859)
Just a Citizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:43 PM   #5
mdewitt71
"Sarge"

AKaholic #: 181685

All of it will work...... some a lil better than others but, like mentioned it is not going to be match grade.... but, who needs it anyways.

here is a good thread with Robs vids in it: http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showth...ight=ammo+test
Old 05-18-2017, 03:38 PM   #6
New Generation

AKaholic #: 157157

Quote:
Originally Posted by single hook View Post
Oh yeah, it has been. This is an internet forum, so pretty much everything has been asked and answered already.
But no harm/no foul IMO, but prepare for a fresh ball-busting anyway !

(FWIW, from what I've been hearing, though GT was once the darling of AK afficianados (my favorite,too), it seems to be having some QC issues in recent batches. Barnaul's Brown Bear seems to be the new favorite, especially since RobSki's tests, and Wolf has long been a fairly consistent performer. As I understand, it's all they use at Battlefield Las Vegas, which should be more than enough endorsement for anyone here).
LOL!! Thank man. I was seeing individual threads on these brands but nothing that was a direct compare and contrast. I understand it will not be match grade ammo but was curious as to what kind of performance, both ballistic and terminal, folks were noticing as well as if the supposed QC issues with GT had been resolved.
New Generation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:38 PM   #7
Mattylight30
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 172152

Golden Tiger.

In my experience it's more accurate and Golden Tiger's bullet design is leaps and bounds better. Longer projectile with a boat tail and large nose cavity. Which leads to a more accurate bullet the destabilizes rapidly.
Mattylight30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:22 PM   #8
krieg

AKaholic #: 189838
Default Barnaul

I like this stuff!

http://www.sgammo.com/product/surplu...t-and-primer-l

http://www.sgammo.com/product/surplu...e-yugo-surplus

The latter being my favorite! Brown bear is GTG

Good hunting sir!
krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:01 AM   #9
Zemlyak
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 183159

any barnaul lacquered is good, green box or white in sgammo. seem like vimpel is worse these days but not a lot. check for latest ammo test by robski on youtube.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:59 PM   #10
kawasakifreak77

AKaholic #: 176621

8m3
Old 05-19-2017, 07:56 PM   #11
Jabes0623
Safe Space Lifeguard

AKaholic #: 173872

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasakifreak77 View Post
8m3
+1
Jabes0623 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:28 PM   #12
BorisBadenov

AKaholic #: 180489

Wolf Mil-Spec = Barnaul mil-spec. Wolf contracts with Barnaul to fill all their 7.62x39 lines.

Golden Tiger is from Vympel.

They are both good.
BorisBadenov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:20 PM   #13
0verholt

AKaholic #: 192468

I've been on the Silver Bear bandwagon for a while now. It shoots pretty clean and I'm not a fusser over accuracy, very casual shooter. Can anyone comment on Brown vs Silver?
0verholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:00 PM   #14
lostintejas
Grumpy Old Man

AKaholic #: 183194

Brown Bear is about as consistent as Communist ammo gets. A little slow, but too many obsess over velocity. It has burned clean for me when I use it. To be fair, Tula has done the same. It has also been OK in the accuracy department, but not as good as Bear or Wolf.
M67 has a less than stellar review from Rob, but not horrible either. #2 on the list in the first video he did IIRC, and top 4 in the first 10 or so that he tested. It hits on target and does very nasty things when it gets there.
Wolf has been very good for me and my rifle likes the HP, but everyone doesn't.
GT, I can't say. A lot of hype, and a lot of stories that it defies physics, and does things it shouldn't. Hard to say what is factual and what is fan boy. It has run into some uncertainty because of primer inconsistencies of late. All are hoping this has been addressed or will be soon.
If you are ONLY asking about the sealed vs lacquer, then don't sweat it they are both good and it is hard to say if one is really better than the other. I will say the things the interwebs declare about the lacquer are not very factual. I have never had it clog up the works on an AK, SKS, or AR. Some issues with AR's and steel exist, but they aren't carved in stone. Some have them, some don't.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:41 PM   #15
krieg

AKaholic #: 189838

I wouldn't want to get shot by either one.
krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 02:32 PM   #16
Dannyboy53

AKaholic #: 185911

I primarily shoot Wolf black box, I have FMJ & HP in that flavor. I have Barnaul FMJ Mil Spec which I really like, it burns much cleaner than Wolf and both are about as accurate as I have come to expect from Russian made ammo...3-4 inches at 100 yards.

I also have Red Army Standard which burns clean, it shoots about 6 inches higher than my sight setting for wolf or Barnaul. That's not a big deal for me as it still groups very well.

I tried a box of Golden Tiger, it was all over the target out of my Russian Tula. However I have absolutely nothing bad to say about GT, my Russian just doesn't digest it for some reason!
Dannyboy53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:33 PM   #17
BorisBadenov

AKaholic #: 180489

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0verholt View Post
I've been on the Silver Bear bandwagon for a while now. It shoots pretty clean and I'm not a fusser over accuracy, very casual shooter. Can anyone comment on Brown vs Silver?
Only difference is , the cases for Brown Bear will be lacquered or poly coated steel (be sure to read the box for which) and Silver is zinc plated steel. Otherwise, they are the same - all made at Barnaul.
BorisBadenov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:37 PM   #18
JacksonStonewall
Banned

AKaholic #: 192771

Quote:
Forgive me if this has been covered already but what is the current community report on performance on the current lacquered and sealed 7.62x39mm options on the market? Namely interested in GT, Wolf Mil-Spec, and Barnaul Mil-Spec. Factors considered would be reliability of ignition, accuracy, average velocity, etc.

Thank you.

What do you intend to do with 7.62 x 39 ammo?
JacksonStonewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:02 PM   #19
Hoginme
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 174111

It all goes bang buy whatever is cheapest, pack a bunch of mags with M67 or 8m3 for shtf in a grab and go bag or rig
Hoginme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:31 PM   #20
eli2325

AKaholic #: 178014

Is Golden Bear still around? not often you hear it mentioned anymore.
eli2325 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:10 PM   #21
tacogewehr

AKaholic #: 192090

I got some Golden Bear from Sportsmans Guide late last year... ran fine, acceptable accuracy, but I thought I was getting more carbon back into the action with it like the case necks didn't seal quite as well.
tacogewehr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:16 PM   #22
JacksonStonewall
Banned

AKaholic #: 192771

still have not heard from the OP on what he intends to do with the 7.62 x 39 ammo...what are his goals with it? What does he hope to accomplish?
JacksonStonewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:32 PM   #23
csi-tech
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 168728

It's been covered Ad Nauseum.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:18 PM   #24
paragrunt

AKaholic #: 183302

Quote:

Thank you.
If you do a search for the thread that I started on the DDI 100% US made, I listed the velocities of GT, 8M3, Wolf HP (green box from SG Ammo), Golden Bear SP, and Hornady SST'S. I've had good luck with all of the above. The Hornady in particular was amazingly accurate. My best groupings with that stuff was at 100 yards, resulting in a . 97 MOA average out of my Definitive Arms DAKM 4150. (FULL disclosure, I was using a PA 1-6 on 6x to achieve those groupings). It's all gonna intend on what your target is going to be. If your just punching paper or steel, I really like the GT. If your hunting, I'd go with the GB or the Hornady. If it's for defense, perhaps the 8M3 or Wolf HP (green box). My defensive loads for my home are the Hornady SST'S, because I don't like repeating myself.......
paragrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:44 PM   #25
Twobravo

AKaholic #: 169202

Golden tiger is as close to 7.62x39 match ammunition as your going to get awesome groups clean burning and not really that expensive for what you get.