Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Mosin Nagants

Notices

Old 05-18-2017, 03:11 PM   #1
J_Quinn86
Monitored by the Feds

AKaholic #: 191911
Default Mosin Sights

I know there is stuff on Google search but I wanted to hear from y'all. Mine shoots way high and right. I have read that is on purpose if you put the bayonet on it fixes it. Is there any truth in this? I don't want to go deer hunting with a 6ft rifle if I can help it. Do I need an aftermarket front post to fix it? Thanks.

"If the FEDS aren't watching you, you're doing something wrong."
J_Quinn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:16 PM   #2
pongo

AKaholic #: 180500

Yes, the affixed bayonet changes the barrel harmonics. Try it with it on and see how it shoots.
pongo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:16 PM   #3
Just a Citizen
Not the Sharpest Crayon in the box.

AKaholic #: 173954

You can adjust the windage but elevation you would need a aftermarket.
"The right of a citizen to bear arms, in lawful defense of himself or the State, is absolute. He does not derive it from the State government. It is one of the "high powers" delegated directly to the citizen, and `is excepted out of the general powers of government.' A law cannot be passed to infringe upon or impair it, because it is above the law, and independent of the lawmaking power." [Cockrum v. State, 24 Tex. 394, at 401-402 (1859)
Just a Citizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:52 PM   #4
Stoned_Oli
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 157099

Smith Sights makes an adjustable sight replacement for them, with no permanent mods.
http://www.smith-sights.com/
The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered as the palladium (safeguard) of the liberties of a Republic; since it offers a strong moral check against the usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers.
Stoned_Oli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:05 PM   #5
ncreptile
Build That Wall
Vendor

AKaholic #: 165174

I'd try adjusting the sight on the rifle before I went and purchasing an aftermarket.

If it's an m44(does not sound like it), simply extend the bayonet to see if that corrects the issue. Many ww1/ww2 bolt actions shoot high, that's something you can easily correct yourself as the shooter. Windage should be your concern.

If you do go aftermarket, I've always heard good things about the Mojosights and it's what I'd go with.(Granted I've never tried them myself.)
ncreptile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:27 AM   #6
Bandy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 172801

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncreptile View Post
I'd try adjusting the sight on the rifle before I went and purchasing an aftermarket.

If it's an m44(does not sound like it), simply extend the bayonet to see if that corrects the issue. Many ww1/ww2 bolt actions shoot high, that's something you can easily correct yourself as the shooter. Windage should be your concern.

If you do go aftermarket, I've always heard good things about the Mojosights and it's what I'd go with.(Granted I've never tried them myself.)
I second the mojos.
Bandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:57 AM   #7
WinterWar

AKaholic #: 190784

At least our Finnish variants of Mosins, M39, M27 etc etc are set so that they shoot high. The info for our troops during WW2 was to aim for the belt buckle and you will hit center mass. Never actually thought about the bayonet affecting that, I heard that the reason for that advice was that if you estimate the distance wrong you still have better chance of hitting the target.

So many assholes...so few bullets
WinterWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:55 PM   #8
J_Quinn86
Monitored by the Feds

It's a 1939 M91/30. I'm going to try the bayonet just to see what happens but do plan to get it sighted in right because I think it would be fun to hunt with.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:08 PM   #9
Just a Citizen
Not the Sharpest Crayon in the box.

AKaholic #: 173954

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWar View Post
At least our Finnish variants of Mosins, M39, M27 etc etc are set so that they shoot high. The info for our troops during WW2 was to aim for the belt buckle and you will hit center mass. Never actually thought about the bayonet affecting that, I heard that the reason for that advice was that if you estimate the distance wrong you still have better chance of hitting the target.
They were originally zeroed for 300m as well, add that on top of the intended belt buckle hold, it's not surprising when they shoot 12+ inches high.
"The right of a citizen to bear arms, in lawful defense of himself or the State, is absolute. He does not derive it from the State government. It is one of the "high powers" delegated directly to the citizen, and `is excepted out of the general powers of government.' A law cannot be passed to infringe upon or impair it, because it is above the law, and independent of the lawmaking power." [Cockrum v. State, 24 Tex. 394, at 401-402 (1859)
Just a Citizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:51 PM   #10
Joshua M. Smith

AKaholic #: 52591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Citizen View Post
They were originally zeroed for 300m as well, add that on top of the intended belt buckle hold, it's not surprising when they shoot 12+ inches high.
No, they weren't.

Regards,

Josh
Joshua M. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:56 PM   #11
Joshua M. Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Quinn86 View Post
It's a 1939 M91/30. I'm going to try the bayonet just to see what happens but do plan to get it sighted in right because I think it would be fun to hunt with.
Same year as my favorite shooter.

We have an experiment going on with the bayonets on another board. I need to get a 91/30 bayonet out to a gentleman to try on his Mosins as he has more time to shoot than I do.

I know with my 1939, the bayonet brought the point of impact right down. The problem is that most folks don't want to shoot with bayonets affixed.

Regards,

Josh
Old 05-19-2017, 10:03 PM   #12
five.five-six
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 59632

Boy, every nagant I hav had has been dead nuts on out of the box, now my SKS cuts it's group size in half with the bayo out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMor View Post
you are more than welcome to blow me now. After you have tears of cum dripping off your eye lids I will explain to you
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:21 AM   #13
Jw
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 175512

You could always do the wire insulation trick. I forget what gauge, but get a small piece of black wire insulation that will fit snug over the front sight post. Make it slightly longer then the front sight post. This basically gives you an elevation adjustment so you can bring your POA down.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:31 AM   #14
Joshua M. Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jw View Post
You could always do the wire insulation trick. I forget what gauge, but get a small piece of black wire insulation that will fit snug over the front sight post. Make it slightly longer then the front sight post. This basically gives you an elevation adjustment so you can bring your POA down.
If you go this route, use shrink tubing. Regular wire insulation gives a much too coarse sight picture.

Regards,

Josh
Old 05-20-2017, 11:34 AM   #15
J_Quinn86
Monitored by the Feds

Quote:
Very glad you said this. I read that before but my my Jason Bourne amnesia, I forgot lol. Thank you sir.

Old 05-20-2017, 11:36 AM   #16
J_Quinn86
Monitored by the Feds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
Same year as my favorite shooter.

We have an experiment going on with the bayonets on another board. I need to get a 91/30 bayonet out to a gentleman to try on his Mosins as he has more time to shoot than I do.

I know with my 1939, the bayonet brought the point of impact right down. The problem is that most folks don't want to shoot with bayonets affixed.

Regards,

Josh
As soon as I get to shoot I will share the results with you. It's a very interesting question.

Old 05-20-2017, 02:31 PM   #17
defroster
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 160987

Quote:
A cut down plastic coffee stirer does the trick also. White works well, with the top "smashed" to make it thinner.
defroster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:38 PM   #18
VALMET_M76
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 90

From what I have read and observed in pictures about Russian/Soviet M91 3 line rifles is that the bayonet is always supposed to mounted on the rifle. Its why there is no such thing as a M91 bayonet scabbard or frog.

So yes, the rifles are sighted with the bayonet fixed.

Finn rifles, no, the Finns have different height front sight blades available (at least for the M39) to provide correct sighting depending on which ammo is being used. Its all supposed to be heavy ball for rifles.

The lightweight stuff is for machineguns.

I watched a modern Russian movie about some women in the Gulag, the Guards had m91s and they had the bayonets mounted backwards on the rifles.

I don't know if that actually works or not, it was a movie after all.
VALMET_M76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:30 PM   #19
J_Quinn86
Monitored by the Feds

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMET_M76 View Post
From what I have read and observed in pictures about Russian/Soviet M91 3 line rifles is that the bayonet is always supposed to mounted on the rifle. Its why there is no such thing as a M91 bayonet scabbard or frog.

So yes, the rifles are sighted with the bayonet fixed.

Finn rifles, no, the Finns have different height front sight blades available (at least for the M39) to provide correct sighting depending on which ammo is being used. Its all supposed to be heavy ball for rifles.

The lightweight stuff is for machineguns.

I watched a modern Russian movie about some women in the Gulag, the Guards had m91s and they had the bayonets mounted backwards on the rifles.

I don't know if that actually works or not, it was a movie after all.
I found a bayonet scabbard one time was it not legit?

Old 05-20-2017, 08:59 PM   #20
Joshua M. Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Quinn86 View Post
I found a bayonet scabbard one time was it not legit?
Hello,

There were some made, but very few. There are reproductions out there.

Regards,

Josh
Old 05-20-2017, 09:28 PM   #21
VALMET_M76
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 90

You can look at lots of pictures of Russian or Soviet soldiers and their M91s. The bayonet is always present, always mounted and I have never seen a Russian or Soviet soldier with a bayonet scabbard or frog.

These are WWI Russian women soldiers.

VALMET_M76 is online now   Reply With Quote