Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Mosin Nagants

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2017, 03:11 PM   #1
J_Quinn86
Monitored by the Feds
 
J_Quinn86's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 191911
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 327
Default Mosin Sights

I know there is stuff on Google search but I wanted to hear from y'all. Mine shoots way high and right. I have read that is on purpose if you put the bayonet on it fixes it. Is there any truth in this? I don't want to go deer hunting with a 6ft rifle if I can help it. Do I need an aftermarket front post to fix it? Thanks.
__________________
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."- Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

"If the FEDS aren't watching you, you're doing something wrong."
J_Quinn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:16 PM   #2
pongo
Member
 
AKaholic #: 180500
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Mchenry, il
Posts: 185
Default

Yes, the affixed bayonet changes the barrel harmonics. Try it with it on and see how it shoots.
pongo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:16 PM   #3
Just a Citizen
Not the Sharpest Crayon in the box.
 
Just a Citizen's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 173954
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 3,885
Default

You can adjust the windage but elevation you would need a aftermarket.
__________________
"The right of a citizen to bear arms, in lawful defense of himself or the State, is absolute. He does not derive it from the State government. It is one of the "high powers" delegated directly to the citizen, and `is excepted out of the general powers of government.' A law cannot be passed to infringe upon or impair it, because it is above the law, and independent of the lawmaking power." [Cockrum v. State, 24 Tex. 394, at 401-402 (1859)
Just a Citizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:52 PM   #4
Stoned_Oli
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor
 
Stoned_Oli's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 157099
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 12,029
Default

Smith Sights makes an adjustable sight replacement for them, with no permanent mods.
http://www.smith-sights.com/
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story
The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered as the palladium (safeguard) of the liberties of a Republic; since it offers a strong moral check against the usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers.
Stoned_Oli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:05 PM   #5
ncreptile
Build That Wall
Vendor
 
ncreptile's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 165174
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 8,729
Default

I'd try adjusting the sight on the rifle before I went and purchasing an aftermarket.

If it's an m44(does not sound like it), simply extend the bayonet to see if that corrects the issue. Many ww1/ww2 bolt actions shoot high, that's something you can easily correct yourself as the shooter. Windage should be your concern.

If you do go aftermarket, I've always heard good things about the Mojosights and it's what I'd go with.(Granted I've never tried them myself.)
ncreptile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:27 AM   #6
Bandy
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 172801
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Two steps from hell, three steps from heaven
Posts: 2,495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncreptile View Post
I'd try adjusting the sight on the rifle before I went and purchasing an aftermarket.

If it's an m44(does not sound like it), simply extend the bayonet to see if that corrects the issue. Many ww1/ww2 bolt actions shoot high, that's something you can easily correct yourself as the shooter. Windage should be your concern.

If you do go aftermarket, I've always heard good things about the Mojosights and it's what I'd go with.(Granted I've never tried them myself.)
I second the mojos.
Bandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:57 AM   #7
WinterWar
Member
 
AKaholic #: 190784
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Down south / Far, far away...
Posts: 345
Default

At least our Finnish variants of Mosins, M39, M27 etc etc are set so that they shoot high. The info for our troops during WW2 was to aim for the belt buckle and you will hit center mass. Never actually thought about the bayonet affecting that, I heard that the reason for that advice was that if you estimate the distance wrong you still have better chance of hitting the target.
__________________
Valmet M62S, ARM Maadi AK47, Wasr10, OPAP and in a land far, far away Sako M92S

So many assholes...so few bullets
WinterWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:55 PM   #8
J_Quinn86
Monitored by the Feds
 
J_Quinn86's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 191911
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 327
Default

It's a 1939 M91/30. I'm going to try the bayonet just to see what happens but do plan to get it sighted in right because I think it would be fun to hunt with.
__________________
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."- Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

"If the FEDS aren't watching you, you're doing something wrong."
J_Quinn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:08 PM   #9
Just a Citizen
Not the Sharpest Crayon in the box.
 
Just a Citizen's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 173954
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 3,885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWar View Post
At least our Finnish variants of Mosins, M39, M27 etc etc are set so that they shoot high. The info for our troops during WW2 was to aim for the belt buckle and you will hit center mass. Never actually thought about the bayonet affecting that, I heard that the reason for that advice was that if you estimate the distance wrong you still have better chance of hitting the target.
They were originally zeroed for 300m as well, add that on top of the intended belt buckle hold, it's not surprising when they shoot 12+ inches high.
__________________
"The right of a citizen to bear arms, in lawful defense of himself or the State, is absolute. He does not derive it from the State government. It is one of the "high powers" delegated directly to the citizen, and `is excepted out of the general powers of government.' A law cannot be passed to infringe upon or impair it, because it is above the law, and independent of the lawmaking power." [Cockrum v. State, 24 Tex. 394, at 401-402 (1859)
Just a Citizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:51 PM   #10
Joshua M. Smith
Member
 
Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 52591
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wabash IN
Posts: 295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Citizen View Post
They were originally zeroed for 300m as well, add that on top of the intended belt buckle hold, it's not surprising when they shoot 12+ inches high.
No, they weren't.

Regards,

Josh
Joshua M. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:56 PM   #11
Joshua M. Smith
Member
 
Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 52591
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wabash IN
Posts: 295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Quinn86 View Post
It's a 1939 M91/30. I'm going to try the bayonet just to see what happens but do plan to get it sighted in right because I think it would be fun to hunt with.
Same year as my favorite shooter.

We have an experiment going on with the bayonets on another board. I need to get a 91/30 bayonet out to a gentleman to try on his Mosins as he has more time to shoot than I do.

I know with my 1939, the bayonet brought the point of impact right down. The problem is that most folks don't want to shoot with bayonets affixed.

Regards,

Josh
Joshua M. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:03 PM   #12
five.five-six
Curio & Relic
 
five.five-six's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 59632
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Corona
Posts: 3,544
Default

Boy, every nagant I hav had has been dead nuts on out of the box, now my SKS cuts it's group size in half with the bayo out.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by vBulletin Message
Sorry David Teague is a moderator/admin and you are not allowed to ignore him or her.


Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMor View Post
you are more than welcome to blow me now. After you have tears of cum dripping off your eye lids I will explain to you
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:21 AM   #13
Jw
Veteran Member
 
Jw's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 175512
Join Date: May 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 1,823
Default

You could always do the wire insulation trick. I forget what gauge, but get a small piece of black wire insulation that will fit snug over the front sight post. Make it slightly longer then the front sight post. This basically gives you an elevation adjustment so you can bring your POA down.
__________________
This is the internet
Jw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:31 AM   #14
Joshua M. Smith
Member
 
Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 52591
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wabash IN
Posts: 295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jw View Post
You could always do the wire insulation trick. I forget what gauge, but get a small piece of black wire insulation that will fit snug over the front sight post. Make it slightly longer then the front sight post. This basically gives you an elevation adjustment so you can bring your POA down.
If you go this route, use shrink tubing. Regular wire insulation gives a much too coarse sight picture.

Regards,

Josh
Joshua M. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:34 AM   #15
J_Quinn86
Monitored by the Feds
 
J_Quinn86's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 191911
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jw View Post
You could always do the wire insulation trick. I forget what gauge, but get a small piece of black wire insulation that will fit snug over the front sight post. Make it slightly longer then the front sight post. This basically gives you an elevation adjustment so you can bring your POA down.
Very glad you said this. I read that before but my my Jason Bourne amnesia, I forgot lol. Thank you sir.
__________________
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."- Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

"If the FEDS aren't watching you, you're doing something wrong."
J_Quinn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:36 AM   #16
J_Quinn86
Monitored by the Feds
 
J_Quinn86's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 191911
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
Same year as my favorite shooter.

We have an experiment going on with the bayonets on another board. I need to get a 91/30 bayonet out to a gentleman to try on his Mosins as he has more time to shoot than I do.

I know with my 1939, the bayonet brought the point of impact right down. The problem is that most folks don't want to shoot with bayonets affixed.

Regards,

Josh
As soon as I get to shoot I will share the results with you. It's a very interesting question.
__________________
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."- Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

"If the FEDS aren't watching you, you're doing something wrong."
J_Quinn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:31 PM   #17
defroster
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor
 
AKaholic #: 160987
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: IN, USA
Posts: 2,124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jw View Post
You could always do the wire insulation trick. I forget what gauge, but get a small piece of black wire insulation that will fit snug over the front sight post. Make it slightly longer then the front sight post. This basically gives you an elevation adjustment so you can bring your POA down.
A cut down plastic coffee stirer does the trick also. White works well, with the top "smashed" to make it thinner.
defroster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:38 PM   #18
VALMET_M76
Curio & Relic
 
VALMET_M76's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 90
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 7,926
Default

From what I have read and observed in pictures about Russian/Soviet M91 3 line rifles is that the bayonet is always supposed to mounted on the rifle. Its why there is no such thing as a M91 bayonet scabbard or frog.

So yes, the rifles are sighted with the bayonet fixed.

Finn rifles, no, the Finns have different height front sight blades available (at least for the M39) to provide correct sighting depending on which ammo is being used. Its all supposed to be heavy ball for rifles.

The lightweight stuff is for machineguns.

I watched a modern Russian movie about some women in the Gulag, the Guards had m91s and they had the bayonets mounted backwards on the rifles.

I don't know if that actually works or not, it was a movie after all.
VALMET_M76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:30 PM   #19
J_Quinn86
Monitored by the Feds
 
J_Quinn86's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 191911
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMET_M76 View Post
From what I have read and observed in pictures about Russian/Soviet M91 3 line rifles is that the bayonet is always supposed to mounted on the rifle. Its why there is no such thing as a M91 bayonet scabbard or frog.

So yes, the rifles are sighted with the bayonet fixed.

Finn rifles, no, the Finns have different height front sight blades available (at least for the M39) to provide correct sighting depending on which ammo is being used. Its all supposed to be heavy ball for rifles.

The lightweight stuff is for machineguns.

I watched a modern Russian movie about some women in the Gulag, the Guards had m91s and they had the bayonets mounted backwards on the rifles.

I don't know if that actually works or not, it was a movie after all.
I found a bayonet scabbard one time was it not legit?
__________________
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."- Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

"If the FEDS aren't watching you, you're doing something wrong."
J_Quinn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:59 PM   #20
Joshua M. Smith
Member
 
Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 52591
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wabash IN
Posts: 295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Quinn86 View Post
I found a bayonet scabbard one time was it not legit?
Hello,

There were some made, but very few. There are reproductions out there.

Regards,

Josh
Joshua M. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:28 PM   #21
VALMET_M76
Curio & Relic
 
VALMET_M76's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 90
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 7,926
Default

You can look at lots of pictures of Russian or Soviet soldiers and their M91s. The bayonet is always present, always mounted and I have never seen a Russian or Soviet soldier with a bayonet scabbard or frog.

These are WWI Russian women soldiers.

VALMET_M76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2017 The AK FIles