Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > General Rifle Discussion

Notices

Old 10-10-2017, 11:59 PM   #1
Highpower
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 159128
Default New blaster in the house

Back before the '89 AW ban, I owned a HK91. Fun gun to own and wasn't all that expensive, in fact, I remember paid $450 for it which at the time, was cheaper than a Colt AR15. But, the magazines were $40-50 each which kind of turned me off of the gun. I decided that I would be better off turning it into money to buy other toys, so down the road it went.

Fast forward 30 years and I have been subject to this nearly irresistible urge to buy another HK. I still remember how my old HK91 shot (okay, but nothing special) and the prices that they are asking for genuine preban rifles is just more than I am willing to pay for one. So, I figured the next best option was to pick up a used PTR91, save some money and just use it as a desert blaster.

I know everyone gets a woody over the welded on rail they are doing nowadays, but I think they look somewhat strange with the rail and wanted one like they were originally made. I am kind of a traditional sort of guy, so I wanted to put wood furniture on it and ordered up a surplus GI wood stock and, since German wood forearms are currently unavailable, I used a CETME forend and dyed it brown. Not an exact match for the Walnut buttstock, but it will do until I find the one I want.

I found what I was looking for on Gonebroker for what I felt was a fair price and just picked it up today. Apex was selling magazines listed as "good" for $3.99 so I bought a dozen. What I got was basically brand new mags with a few scratches, but no dings. Needless to say, I am very happy with what I got.

The rifle itself is at least as well put together as my HK91 was and I can find no flaw in the fit and finish. I grabbed a few boxes of ammo and went out to my favorite spot behind my house and popped off a few dozen rounds. As I expected, it functioned 100% and was about as accurate as I remember my old HK was.

Like the HK, if there was an Olympic brass throwing competition, this one would be in the running for a gold medal. They make an AK's ejection look anemic in comparison.

I like the steel SEF trigger housing, one of the specific things I was looking for. I have a paddle mag release and will put it on in the next couple of days.

Wood on the stock is very nice.

Handguard is okay, not as nice as I would like, but it will do for now.

Highpowers' rules of gun collecting:
1. Never let a deal get away from you.
2. Never sell your guns.
Highpower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:00 AM   #2
Rev06
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 185972

Very nice furniture congrats
Old 10-11-2017, 05:32 AM   #3
Ram Rod
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 182786

Very nice indeed!
I've kinda wanted one of these over the years. This or an FAL. Maybe someday. It's just that the .308win has always registered bolt action in my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugroza View Post
In all seriousness I cant tell whether some of you are simply blind, ignorant or stupid..
DEFCON 3.3
Ram Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:39 AM   #4
Richardmofo
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 165722

Nice looking rifle.

Richardmofo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:32 AM   #5
Glashaus
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 180938

Very nice! I too had a Hk91, an A3 version, that I had bought new back in 1984 or so. I bought a PTR 91 GI and to me the PTR is finished and functions just as well as the HK 91. They are capable, fun rifles, but the roller locks that I shoot the most are the 9mm and the 5.56 versions

Old 10-11-2017, 08:19 AM   #6
Highpower
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 159128

I am kind of pissed that I missed the CETME L (5.56X45) version that was available as either a kit or already built. I would like to get a HK93 or equivalent one day, but I am trying to be a good boy and save up some money before I buy another gun. I have had a few 9mm semi auto carbines in the past, but just can't seem to warm up to them although I have kept my Uzi because, well, it's an Uzi.

This completes the set I was putting together of free world battle rifles of the post WWII era, just before everything went to plastic.

Highpowers' rules of gun collecting:
1. Never let a deal get away from you.
2. Never sell your guns.
Highpower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:19 AM   #7
steveTA1983
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 180809

Nice rifle OP, love the wood! And you're right, they chuck brass into the next county.

My PTR, which won't get used too much more due to my FAL and PA10

steveTA1983 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:35 AM   #8
cztulsa
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 172236

I'm an FAL fanboy, but the G3 types have really grown on me. Have a Portuguese version that's been a royal bitch about not wanting to eject, but finally gotten it straightened out. It will regularly smoke clay pigeons off of the 100 yard berm with iron sights, so that's accurate enough for me. Wouldn't hesitate to use it in a life or death situation.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:57 AM   #9
hansellhd
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 163202

Nice score, the G3/CETME is my favorite Battle Rifle.

hansellhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:06 AM   #10
Rev06
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 185972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
I am kind of pissed that I missed the CETME L (5.56X45) version that was available as either a kit or already built. I would like to get a HK93 or equivalent one day, but I am trying to be a good boy and save up some money before I buy another gun. I have had a few 9mm semi auto carbines in the past, but just can't seem to warm up to them although I have kept my Uzi because, well, it's an Uzi.

This completes the set I was putting together of free world battle rifles of the post WWII era, just before everything went to plastic.

Diversity.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:55 PM   #11
panzertruppe
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3934

OK, OK, OK,

All of you go take a cold shower.... You guys are showing us your guns waaayyy toooo much...

Or get a good playboy and hit the shower...

Geez! Braggarts!

panzertruppe
panzertruppe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:38 PM   #12
pre1989
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 175922

Yep HK fan boy here ...Get a case deflector it helps a lot ....PTR makes good clones

Just remember the early PTR had the wrong fluting or the such and wont work worth a darn with miltary surplus ammo ......
Old 10-13-2017, 04:09 AM   #13
cztulsa
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 172236

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre1989 View Post
Yep HK fan boy here ...Get a case deflector it helps a lot ....PTR makes good clones.
I just took one of the port buffers off of the Portuguese copy I mentioned above, as I think it was a big part of the problem concerning stovepipes I kept getting; the spent case would begin to eject, and bounce off of the buffer and back into the port, and the bolt would catch it and crush it between the bolt and the chamber. Discovered that after taking a slow-mo video of the port while my son shot it, and did a frame by frame. At any rate, new oversized rollers and nixing that buffer, and it runs like a scalded dog.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:26 AM   #14
EC72
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 176220

Very nice setup
EC72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:07 PM   #15
IanMor
<B>Moderator</B>

AKaholic #: 643

God, they are pigs. Never could warm up to them. FAL Fanboi till I die. That don't mean I don't respect them. Far from it. But if I had to have one of those Teutonic monstrosities, it would be in the wood like you have. Nice rifle, bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
AKfiles is a slightly retarded and magical place. Learn to love it's non-perfect-ness
IanMor is offline   Reply With Quote