Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-74s

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2017, 08:05 PM   #1
MAGAMan
Member
 
AKaholic #: 192835
Join Date: May 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 70
Default Why would you go with an AK74 over an AK101 ( or other AKs in 5.56) in USA?

Here's what I think: It seems like you can get brass 5.56 for the same price as steel cased 5.45 ammo right now. The 5.56 having very comparable ballistics to a 5.45. SLR 106 is currently available while the SLR 104 not available anymore.

How am I wrong?

Last edited by MAGAMan; 10-13-2017 at 07:39 PM.
MAGAMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:08 PM   #2
Unit28
(((DB)))
 
Unit28's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 176712
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Gaytown, Texas
Posts: 2,011
Default

You know this comes up about once month right.
__________________
(((DB #28)))
Crosstown
Unit28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:12 PM   #3
chknfkr
Low balling stupid BASTARD
 
chknfkr's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 172241
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Charleston,IL
Posts: 5,227
Default

This has been done to death, most exhaustively here http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showth...97#post3866697

If you don't feel like reading through the 100+ pages, I'll sumarize it for you: 5.45 > 5.56
__________________


The MANY uses of an AK cleaning kit and rod



Кучка Булка Курва Зараза
chknfkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:19 PM   #4
Pusha
Member
 
AKaholic #: 181054
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 430
Default

Fit women aren't attracted to 5.56 AKs.
__________________
WTS Bad Ass AK T-Shirts
Pusha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:20 PM   #5
Jabes0623
Banned
 
AKaholic #: 173872
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: (740)
Posts: 4,258
Default

Nails, clean-up in aisle 74
Jabes0623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:10 PM   #6
redmax29
Member
 
redmax29's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 157962
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Either the 2nd or 3rd level of hell. It's too hot to tell.
Posts: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabes0623 View Post
Nails, clean-up in aisle 74
Lol, I see what you did there you sneaky you
....
redmax29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:16 PM   #7
Ulfrinn
Veteran Member
 
AKaholic #: 183902
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Nome, AK
Posts: 1,774
Default

Does anyone make AK mags for 5.56 that cost less than $45? No? What about CHF barrels made from 4150v or equivalent alloy? Not that either? Parts availability and cost for 5.56 AKs at present, suck. Also, has anyone ever sold 5.56 AK parts kits besides overpriced Galil kits?
Ulfrinn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:28 PM   #8
Il Cattivo
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 180088
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 810
Default

Hey, don't drag anyone else into this. I just bought an overpriced Galil kit, and I resent being reminded that it was expensive.

Nice kit, though.
Il Cattivo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:37 AM   #9
ugroza
Member
 
AKaholic #: 183657
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: down the hallway, 3rd left and 2nd right.
Posts: 410
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Cattivo View Post
Hey, don't drag anyone else into this. I just bought an overpriced Galil kit, and I resent being reminded that it was expensive.

Nice kit, though.
What if we change term "parts kit" to scarp metal? Will that make you feel better?
ugroza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:47 AM   #10
lxpony
Veteran Member
 
lxpony's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 3927
Join Date: May 2005
Location: In my bunker
Posts: 1,707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfrinn View Post
Does anyone make AK mags for 5.56 that cost less than $45? No? What about CHF barrels made from 4150v or equivalent alloy? Not that either? Parts availability and cost for 5.56 AKs at present, suck. Also, has anyone ever sold 5.56 AK parts kits besides overpriced Galil kits?
Polish 5.56 mags are cheaper and just as reliable.
__________________
I love guns.....
lxpony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:08 AM   #11
es
Veteran Member
 
AKaholic #: 185924
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 1,507
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxpony View Post
Polish 5.56 mags are cheaper and just as reliable.
This, and they look better than the bulgy mags imo
es is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:13 AM   #12
Rev06
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 185972
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: burbs/rural BOL near Canada
Posts: 2,429
Default

I am NOT paying for that Penguin!
__________________
Rev
Rev06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:28 PM   #13
ThunderGod
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor
 
ThunderGod's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 62
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: N. Texas
Posts: 6,575
Default

The only 5.56 AK that interests me is a Zastava M90 that takes original mags.
__________________
"Sounded as tho' there was a bit of a squabble." Blind Pew
"Squabble? They're all dead!" Mister Moon
"All? Must 'ave been more of a tiff, then." Blind Pew

URCX: Your Best Friend on the Internet!

Neither Bee, nor Borg.
ThunderGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:40 PM   #14
Rev06
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 185972
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: burbs/rural BOL near Canada
Posts: 2,429
Default

I own both because I could not decide on caliber at that point. My SLR-104 is definitely the most comfortable and fun gun I own in a centerfire caliber. The round and the action just work well together and are smooth w little to no recoil. I will be training my boys on my AK-74s.

The 5.56 is a lot more practical in many ways except maybe for parts and mag cost. Ballistically there are so many more options in 5.56 and you can get Saigas and VEPRs converted to take AR mags or even buy a M90 NP, which I have and is really good although heavy for a 5.56 gun. Many can and do hunt w 5.56 AKs as well.

Anyway, the marathon 5.45 vs 5.56 thread has good nuggets in the first 10-15 pages of the thread before it devolved into a complete shit slinging fest of Fudds vs the uncouth tactical boys LOL.
__________________
Rev
Rev06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:27 PM   #15
SuperTacOperator44
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 177348
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: IL
Posts: 3,570
Default

Because this is the USA, we have a thing called the AR-15 that also shoots 5.56 for about half the price of a 5.56 AK. If you're gonna shoot 5.56 because you love the round and want to use it why the fuck would you buy an AK to shoot it with ? That only puts limits on what you can do with it. At at the very least it makes shooting 5.56 heavier and less ergonomic.

But to your point, these days I think far more people are interested in 5.56 AKs than there used to be. For a whole host of reasons. The days of 5.45x39 being king of the varmint calibers is long gone.
__________________
Islam Delenda Est.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z00mie View Post
Do you have to have a class III license to get banana clips?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP View Post
I take a Norinco 1911 or M14 over any of those fancy ass range toys that are made in Murcia.
^Epic Facepalm^
SuperTacOperator44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:36 PM   #16
corruptgarage
Member
 
AKaholic #: 183907
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA
Posts: 305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTacOperator44 View Post
Because this is the USA, we have a thing called the AR-15 that also shoots 5.56 for about half the price of a 5.56 AK. If you're gonna shoot 5.56 because you love the round and want to use it why the fuck would you buy an AK to shoot it with ? That only puts limits on what you can do with it. At at the very least it makes shooting 5.56 heavier and less ergonomic.

But to your point, these days I think far more people are interested in 5.56 AKs than there used to be. For a whole host of reasons. The days of 5.45x39 being king of the varmint calibers is long gone.
I hear this argument a lot by AR guys. Believe it or not, there are people who'd rather shoot AKs over ARs. There are people who would rather shoot a Mini 14 over an AR. The 5.56 round isn't a good round just because it's shot from an AR.
corruptgarage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:43 PM   #17
Poetic Marksman
New Member
 
AKaholic #: 193702
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Pensacola Florida
Posts: 8
Default

If I want a 5.56 rifle I'd just get an AR. I'm trying to get into 5.45 becuase it's a better cartridge and in my case fired from a better rifle.

Now how the fudge does 5.56 compared to 5.45 us what I want to know. If I'm right 5.45 relies on tumbling versus 5.56 which brings crazy fragmentation both if which can do that within most distances were gonna use these rifles.
__________________
As a patriotic man rifle sings, freedom once again rings.
Poetic Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:48 PM   #18
chknfkr
Low balling stupid BASTARD
 
chknfkr's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 172241
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Charleston,IL
Posts: 5,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corruptgarage View Post
I hear this argument a lot by AR guys. Believe it or not, there are people who'd rather shoot AKs over ARs. There are people who would rather shoot a Mini 14 over an AR. The 5.56 round isn't a good round just because it's shot from an AR.
There is nothing ergonomic about an AR. The AK is vastly superior in the ergonomics department. Anyone arguing ergonomics of an AR is lying to themselves.
__________________


The MANY uses of an AK cleaning kit and rod



Кучка Булка Курва Зараза
chknfkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:08 PM   #19
Scott7891
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 58999
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere in America
Posts: 2,336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corruptgarage View Post
I hear this argument a lot by AR guys. Believe it or not, there are people who'd rather shoot AKs over ARs. There are people who would rather shoot a Mini 14 over an AR. The 5.56 round isn't a good round just because it's shot from an AR.
This

I wasn't in the army so I'm not permanently tied to "AR ergonomics" as the only thing I can use.

Because I wasn't in the army I can adapt to a variety of rifles and not bitch about subjective "ergonomics".
Scott7891 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:40 PM   #20
dan326
Curio & Relic
 
dan326's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 169937
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 5,406
Default

Easier to clean under my nails with the 5.45. More length
dan326 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:41 PM   #21
dan326
Curio & Relic
 
dan326's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 169937
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 5,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott7891 View Post
This

I wasn't in the army so I'm not permanently tied to "AR ergonomics" as the only thing I can use.

Because I wasn't in the army I can adapt to a variety of rifles and not bitch about subjective "ergonomics".
Oh, boy!

Chair force ranger over here!
dan326 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:53 PM   #22
1biggun
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 6541
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Marksman View Post
If I want a 5.56 rifle I'd just get an AR. I'm trying to get into 5.45 becuase it's a better cartridge and in my case fired from a better rifle.

Now how the fudge does 5.56 compared to 5.45 us what I want to know. If I'm right 5.45 relies on tumbling versus 5.56 which brings crazy fragmentation both if which can do that within most distances were gonna use these rifles.
See the 100 page thread were your wrong in most of your beliefs. 5.45 is
Slower ,less accurate ,more expensive ,not reload able less avaliable and 223 was chambered in AK variants before the 5.45 was.
Tumbling is fine if you hit something but there are 5.56 rounds that do better. It's about choices.
If you want a 5.45 great go for it don't drink the kool-aid however.
1biggun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:32 PM   #23
chknfkr
Low balling stupid BASTARD
 
chknfkr's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 172241
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Charleston,IL
Posts: 5,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
See the 100 page thread were your wrong in most of your beliefs. 5.45 is
Slower ,less accurate ,more expensive ,not reload able less avaliable and 223 was chambered in AK variants before the 5.45 was.
Tumbling is fine if you hit something but there are 5.56 rounds that do better. It's about choices.
If you want a 5.45 great go for it don't drink the kool-aid however.
You do realize that's a 100+ page thread of you getting your ass handed to you right?
__________________


The MANY uses of an AK cleaning kit and rod



Кучка Булка Курва Зараза
chknfkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:50 AM   #24
Pheenix11
Member
 
AKaholic #: 187397
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknfkr View Post
There is nothing ergonomic about an AR. The AK is vastly superior in the ergonomics department. Anyone arguing ergonomics of an AR is lying to themselves.
I'm not disagreeing but I haven't seen your position argued much. Me personally I kinda prefer the AK but it's hard to put a finger on if it is just the cool factor or something else.

Can you elaborate more on how you think the AK is more ergonomic?
Pheenix11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:22 AM   #25
ugroza
Member
 
AKaholic #: 183657
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: down the hallway, 3rd left and 2nd right.
Posts: 410
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknfkr View Post
You do realize that's a 100+ page thread of you getting your ass handed to you right?
Are there any threads where his ass is not handed to him?
But tbh there was so much unicorn bs in that thread that it started to look like everyone teamed up against him to cover up how stupid they looked after realizing that no one was buying their bs claims.
ugroza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:46 AM   #26
SawedOffYankeePrick
Bringer Of Fuck
 
SawedOffYankeePrick's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 180365
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Fredricktown, Ohio
Posts: 1,346
Default

Ammo is more favorable for 5.56 based on sheer availability. But mags and parts (namely the bolt) favor 5.45 for the exact same reason.

If mags and parts were standardized and anywhere near as common for 5.56 as they ar5.45 I’d love to have an AK in 5.56. But they’re not. So my AK’s aren’t going NATO. That said, 5.56 is a good caliber. I have a 5.56 rifle. It’s an AR. No rifle in this country has more common parts and magazines. But my AK’s are my go to guns.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsbysak View Post
Reporting a post is gayer than cum on a mustache
SawedOffYankeePrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:23 AM   #27
Zemlyak
Veteran Member
 
AKaholic #: 183159
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: North East
Posts: 1,219
Default

5.45 is just real AK ammo for me and 5.56 is for my LWRC or Tavor etc. I don’t like to deal with expensive mags from Arsenal for Slr106 and other substitutes which might or might not work with it. Commercial 5.45 ammo is available and I don’t reload.
__________________
Кто в армии служил, тот в цирке не смеется
Zemlyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:34 AM   #28
Ulfrinn
Veteran Member
 
AKaholic #: 183902
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Nome, AK
Posts: 1,774
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheenix11 View Post
I'm not disagreeing but I haven't seen your position argued much. Me personally I kinda prefer the AK but it's hard to put a finger on if it is just the cool factor or something else.

Can you elaborate more on how you think the AK is more ergonomic?
Many people agree with him and I would too. Ergos the way the AR fanboys speak of it is nothing more than familiarity. Most of them shoot ARs and nothing else so they are inexperienced with anything even slightly different and complain.

The biggest complaint I hear them make is about the safety lever. Though considering flipping up the dust cover after shooting on an AR is good practice the AK combined the safety with that and so eliminates the need to do anything with your thumb actually reducing the number of actions you must perform.
Ulfrinn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:49 AM   #29
etown_ak
Veteran Member
 
AKaholic #: 169947
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Elizabethton, TN
Posts: 1,875
Default

If you are patient, (Surplus) 5.45 is still the cheapest centerfire rifle cartridge available. There are several 5.56 loadings available that have better terminal ballistics and better accuracy, but I prefer to shoot the same ammo I'd use if the S ever hits TF. 7N6 fits the bill for practice and putting down those who would seek to do me & mine harm.

As for 'ergonomics', that lollipop rainbow is put to rest by training. Get out and shoot the damned rifle. While it may not be as fast as an someone well trained with an AR, proper manipulation of an AK is only a few tenths to a second slower in a mag change. And if it ever comes down to me having to out mag change some fella with an AR in a Hollywood double click situation, I'd likely either dive for cover or grab for my Glock. Either are SuperMallNinja approved.
__________________
My other gun is an AK.
etown_ak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:54 AM   #30
RMiller
Curio & Relic
Contributor
 
RMiller's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 170327
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,002
Default

The Penguiniduck has been beaten, killed, resurrected, sold, bought, killed again, resurrected only to be paid for, yet again.

Basically, pick what you like, or what you think will be beneficial and run with it.

Otherwise you'll end up with 100 pages of people trying to justify choices and change minds that are already convinced they made the right choice and their is no other right choice.

Last edited by RMiller; 10-13-2017 at 10:36 AM.
RMiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:31 AM   #31
Scott7891
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 58999
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere in America
Posts: 2,336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan326 View Post
Oh, boy!

Chair force ranger over here!
Never claimed I was one. And I can make my previous statement because I have owned and still do a variety of weapons that people claim are not ergonomic because "muh AR-15" like the FAL, G3, M14, Galil, Tavor, AUG, Vz-58, SIG-556, SVT-40, Hakim, SKS, as well as a lot more I managed to use without bitching about subjective "best cause AR" ergonomics horseshit.

So spare me. I'm not a "it doesn't have AR ergonomics, wah!!" crybaby like a lot of gun owners are especially (unfortunately) a lot of veterans.

Last edited by Scott7891; 10-12-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Scott7891 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:28 PM   #32
TexasDave
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 156092
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,317
Default

Got AKs in both 5.45 and 5.56. They work. The m90np feeds m855 from Lancer mags no problem. Would rather have an AK action over an AR everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

-Dave
TexasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:56 PM   #33
Ulfrinn
Veteran Member
 
AKaholic #: 183902
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Nome, AK
Posts: 1,774
Default

Are these Beryl mags steel reinforced? I am seeing some brand new for $40 a mag but I would still like to see properly reinforced PMAGs for 5.56 at $20 for me to really take an interest.
Ulfrinn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:08 PM   #34
RMiller
Curio & Relic
Contributor
 
RMiller's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 170327
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,002
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknfkr View Post
There is nothing ergonomic about an AR. The AK is vastly superior in the ergonomics department. Anyone arguing ergonomics of an AR is lying to themselves.
You forgot to add, for a left handed shooter.
RMiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:24 PM   #35
es
Veteran Member
 
AKaholic #: 185924
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 1,507
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfrinn View Post
Are these Beryl mags steel reinforced? I am seeing some brand new for $40 a mag but I would still like to see properly reinforced PMAGs for 5.56 at $20 for me to really take an interest.
I have some that have steel and some without, I think current polish issue are without.
es is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (1 members and 2 guests)
Saint Sturm
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2017 The AK FIles