Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Shotguns

Notices

Old 10-11-2017, 02:39 AM   #1
Christopher67
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 177018
Default Atlantic Firearms, VEPR 12 or a VEPR 12 ??

VEPR 12 $999

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com....html?Itemid=0

Or a VEPR 12 for $1300 wtf?

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com....html?Itemid=0

Can someone explain what the differences are, other then the obvious $300 price difference.
Christopher67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:31 AM   #2
ZZANG1847

AKaholic #: 184034

First link: VEPR-12 w/ welded folding stock. Requires 922r conversion if customer decides to break the tab and use folding stock.

From the link: "Note: The stock has a small weld to have it fixed in the open position for Import Restrictions It can be modified to fold by simply removing the small weld. If you do modify the weapon it would need to be 922R compliant."

Second link: VEPR-12 w/ functioning folding stock. 922r conversion is already complete.

From the link: "VEPR 12 is shipped with one 5-round magazine. VPR-12-03 is 922r compliant even with high capacity Molot factory magazines."

If you don't care about folding stock and just want to have a VEPR-12, then get the $999 one.
If storage space is a concern and want to use MOLOT factory magazines with a capacity higher than 5, then get the $1,300 one.
ZZANG1847 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:25 AM   #3
Atlantic Firearms
Curio & Relic
Vendor

AKaholic #: 4032

ZZang is correct they are basically one in the same gun just the more expensive one has been 922R converted by Arsenal Vepr 12 .

Atlantic Firearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:58 AM   #4
Christopher67
Veteran Member

Awesome, thanks guys! Much appreciated!
Old 10-12-2017, 11:34 AM   #5
giantpune
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 188807

Welded folder + $79 922r compliance kit and then 5 minutes with a dremmel. You come out cheaper in the end.

http://www.carolinashooterssupply.co...2-922r-kit.htm
giantpune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:57 AM   #6
Christopher67
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantpune View Post
Welded folder + $79 922r compliance kit and then 5 minutes with a dremmel. You come out cheaper in the end.

http://www.carolinashooterssupply.co...2-922r-kit.htm

So the VEPR 12 for $999 is not 922r compliant?
Old 10-12-2017, 01:43 PM   #7
ZZANG1847

AKaholic #: 184034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher67 View Post
So the VEPR 12 for $999 is not 922r compliant?
It is 922r compliant as long as you ONLY use MOLOT Factory 5 rounder, due to it being in a "sporting configuration."
Both fixed stock and tab-welded folding stock version doesn't require a 922r conversion, given if you use 5 rounders ONLY.

If you decided to either 1) break a tab and make folding stock working again or 2) use high capacity magazines (doesn't matter whether it's made by MOLOT or CSS/SGM Tactical), then the gun requires a 922r conversion in order to stay legal and don't draw attention from our friendly ATF. A lot of people who wants to both save some cash and have a folding option buy a tab-welded VEPR-12 and do a conversion themselves, and people who aren't interested in doing conversion themselves buy the one that is already converted by either a 1st or 3rd party manufacturer.

So in other words......
First link: 922r compliant, as long as you stick to MOLOT Factory 5 rounders
Second link: 922r compliant, conversion complete, can use higher capacity magazine without needing to change more parts

Last edited by ZZANG1847; 10-13-2017 at 10:38 AM.
ZZANG1847 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:45 PM   #8
videodon

AKaholic #: 164570

I did the conversion on mine. easy-peazy.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:32 PM   #9
Christopher67
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZANG1847 View Post
It is 922r compliant as long as you ONLY use MOLOT Factory 5 rounder, due to it being in a "sporting configuration."
Both fixed stock and tab-welded folding stock version doesn't require a 922r conversion, given if you use 5 rounders ONLY.

If you decided to either 1) break a tab and make folding stock working again or 2) use high capacity magazines (doesn't matter whether it's made by MOLOT or CSS/SGM Tactical), then the gun requires a 922r conversion in order to stay legal and don't draw attention to our friendly ATF. A lot of people who wants to save money and still have a folding option decides to buy a tab-welded VEPR-12 and do a conversion themselves, and people who aren't interested in doing conversion themselves buy the one that is already converted by either a 1st or 3rd party manufacturer.

So in other words......
First link: 922r compliant, as long as you stick to MOLOT Factory 5 rounders
Second link: 922r compliant, conversion complete, can use higher capacity magazine without needing to change more parts

Thanks for taking the time to explain all of that.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:06 PM   #10
ddnc
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174853

There is one other version available and it has a full length weld on the hinge and from what I understand it’s a byatch to modify. Advertised as a “strong weld”. I bought the spot weld one and did the conversion myself. The cash I saved was for extra OEM 10 round mags. But it is an easy conversion.
ddnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:18 AM   #11
giantpune
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 188807

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnc View Post
There is one other version available and it has a full length weld on the hinge and from what I understand it’s a byatch to modify. Advertised as a “strong weld”.
The one I got from atlantic had the weld the full length of the hinge. I still got through it with a dremmel. I didn't realize there was a different model number for tack welded vs full length welded. I thought it was just up to the guy welding that day as to how good a job he did.

vepr-12-01 - metal stock, not folding
vepr-12-02 - metal stock, folding/welded open
vepr-12-03 - metal stock, folding/not welded
vepr-12-04 - metal stock, SBS

vepr-12-07 - polymer stock

vepr-12-11 - thumbhole stock, 19" barrel
vepr-12-12 - thumbhole stock, 22" barrel
giantpune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 01:30 PM   #12
ddnc
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174853

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantpune View Post
The one I got from atlantic had the weld the full length of the hinge. I still got through it with a dremmel. I didn't realize there was a different model number for tack welded vs full length welded. I thought it was just up to the guy welding that day as to how good a job he did.

vepr-12-01 - metal stock, not folding
vepr-12-02 - metal stock, folding/welded open
vepr-12-03 - metal stock, folding/not welded
vepr-12-04 - metal stock, SBS

vepr-12-07 - polymer stocky

vepr-12-11 - thumbhole stock, 19" barrel
vepr-12-12 - thumbhole stock, 22" barrel
Kvar advertises the -02 as the “strong weld”
http://www.k-var.com/shop/images/D/VPR-12-02-weld.jpg
I got mine from Atlantic and it specifically stated a “small tack weld”. The language is a bit more ambiguous now.
https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/ima...20of%2026).jpg
I don’t know if the full length weld is a import deal or what and I am not really sure there is a separate stock number assigned. It does not appear that way. I just did not want to have to cut through that entire bead which is harder than the receiver and leave that cut bead lip on the receiver/ stock.
The tack weld was a small cut and removing excess weld bead was minimal that allowed touch up that is not visible. I read somewhere that when you get the cut in, place the muzzle down on the ground as apply a solid firm strike to the stock and it would break the weld. That worked well.
Others said the folder is really stiff and some have cut into the receiver thinking they weren’t though the weld. Mine was really stiff.
ddnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:44 PM   #13
lostdog
Taxi Driver

AKaholic #: 118338

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnc View Post
There is one other version available and it has a full length weld on the hinge and from what I understand it’s a byatch to modify. Advertised as a “strong weld”. I bought the spot weld one and did the conversion myself. The cash I saved was for extra OEM 10 round mags. But it is an easy conversion.
^I basically did the same as above inadvertently avoiding the "strong welded" version that has a 'long/strong' weld that's on the RH side of the shotty that basically goes all the way down between the folding stock mech and the receiver.
I got the VEPR-12 with the "factory folding stock" w/the "small" tack weld that's on the bottom rear of the receiver that was 300 bucks cheaper than the one "without the weld" that's already 922 compliant..

By saving so much money I immediately started hunting down an awesome deal here in the MP luckily finding x2-10rd Molot factory V-12 mags (that you just have to have) saving me $70+ more bucks on just the mags alone instead if I had purchased them thru a very popular and well known online vendor.