Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Survival and Preparedness

Notices

Old 09-17-2017, 03:48 PM   #36
square.wave

AKaholic #: 11137

I've been pleasantly surprised with their Predator small engines. I have a generator and wood chipper and they work great. I read somewhere that they are basically Chinese copies of Honda small engines, dunno if it's true.
square.wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:48 PM   #37
Dragynn
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 170546

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJames View Post
I will say, their T handle Allen wrenches leave something to be desired...the ball end will snap off really damn easy, managed that trick gingerly torquing down a set screw on an AR gas block but I supposed I can be blamed for that because I'm a gorilla using the wrong damn end for torque.
Yeah don't buy the ball-end ones, the straight-end Allens work great for gun work, I have a set in sae and one in metric and they get used all the time, don't know how they would fair if I had to use them on the trucks, but for gun work they are GTG.
((DB)) Deplorable Basterd brigade #47
Dragynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:01 PM   #38
fpk762
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 166849

ive got some HF stuff, good deals on tools you will only use a few times and put away. basic handtools ect are cheap and work. my dads got 2 of the 4 cycle engines on different rototillers and I have a 21gal air compressor that wasn't even 200$ shipped. used it all this weekend doing windows and siding on the house. ive had it now for about 5 years. also have a 12 ton a frame press and few other odds and ends.
fpk762 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:17 PM   #39
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

Quote:
Originally Posted by KernelKrink View Post
Some of their stuff is junk, some is actually quite serviceable. Several guys where I work bought the color coded 3/8 drive socket sets. They use them every day, never had to warranty one yet. I got one of their old style TIG welders, it actually works better for smaller stuff than my ThermalArc. Their spotwelders have built many thousands of AKs over the years. So have their hydraulic presses. Hell, their zip ties work way better than the stuff our local auto stores sell for 4 times the price!

Now, their cordless drills leave a bit to be desired, but for $20 you get a light duty power tool that will work for infrequent use. Many times I have need of something for a one time project and I'll get the HF power tool simply because I know it will fail, but after I have done used it for what I need it for. And I can loan it out without wanting to kill the borrower later!

You just gotta examine their tools very closely and realize you are (usually) not getting Milwaukee $150 quality in a $30 power tool.
The metric color coded 3/8" drive deep wells have an 18 mm and a maximum 19 mm.

The chromed Pro ones don't have an 18 mm but have a 21 mm.

Some American vehicles have 18 mm.

I have seen a Swedish car with 18 mm on the transmission line and MAYBE the powder steering line.

21 mm is a bit large for 3/8" drive but seems more common than 18 mm and is on Japanese cars.

Some European / German cars have 22 mm, but I don't think I've seen a 20 mm.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:58 PM   #40
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2036

American cars you could work on 90% of the thing other than suspension with just an 8mm, 10mm, 13mm, 15mm, and an 18mm. GM add a 7mm. Japanese ones use mostly the 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, and 17mm for some reason. They also tend to use a thread pitch no one stocks here in the US. Go figure?
KernelKrink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:50 PM   #41
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

I used to find 13 mm on some Japanese cars, mostly drain plugs, but they seem to have dropped 13 mm and left it for the Europeans.

Is 15 mm only on American cars?

I know 16 mm and 18 mm now show up, but I'm trying to remember if 15 mm was on European cars.

I remember when GM started switching to metric, many of their transmission mount bolts had 15 mm heads.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:57 PM   #42
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

Deep offset box wrenches are very popular in Japanese and somewhat popular in Europe.

My father had a stubby set with odd inch sizes for British cars.

Some German suspensions require large extra deep box wrenches.

I didn't think much about using them until I saw Japanese mechanics using long reach ones.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:18 PM   #43
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

15mm is very popular on Ford and Chevy, Chrysler/Dodge rear wheel drives you get a mix of metric and fractional bolts for some reason. Everybody else went to all metric years ago. I get you might want to keep the engine/trans interface compatible back to the 1960s, but it seems to me you could keep the bolt pattern the same and change the threads to metric? Instead you get weird stuff like a 3/8" coarse thread with a TORX head on Jeeps!

We don't see much of the European imports around here at all, just the occasional Mercedes and of course the New Beetles. Trouble with the VWs is the reman transmissions are pretty much more than Bluebook value in most cases. Never done much more than a fluid and filter change and some wiring work on the VWs.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:26 PM   #44
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

I remember an 18 mm coupling in a transmission line on a Swedish car.

I think it was a Volvo but it might have been a Saab.

That was before American cars used 18 mm anything.

That was the first 18 mm hex I'd seen.

I think I had just bought a Snap-on 16 / 18 mm flare nut wrench, only because I didn't have those sizes.

I remember 16 mm = 5/8"

19 mm = 3/4"

22 mm = 7/8"

24 mm = 15/16"
Old 09-19-2017, 08:55 PM   #45
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

Quote:
One of the best buys from HF is their 5 drawer roll around tool cart. About $180 if it isn't on sale, about $160 if it is. I had a similar Snap-On one for years. The Snap-On rollers gave out pretty quick, and the one thing I absolutely hated about it was the drawers did not have latches. If you moved it with the top open or even parked it on a slight incline the drawers would flop open. All of them open at once with a heavy load of tools, the cart tips over! Needed rollers again for the Snap-On so I decided to take a chance and buy the HF version for about $50 more than a set of rollers.

Now, granted the steel isn't quite as thick but it is thick enough. The rollers have already outlasted the factory Snap-On ones. It has drawer latches so no unwanted drawer opening and crashes. And unlike the Snap-On one that uses a tab and single bolt at each corner to hold it together, the HF one uses two bolts and is much more solid. The Snap-On one was constantly needing tightening, and even when they were tight you pushed on one side and the whole thing would kind of flop over to the other side.

The only item I have had an issue with on the HF one is the pop rivets holding the piano hinge onto the top have loosened. If they get any worse I will find 5 minutes to drill them out and install new ones. If I was designing it I also would have made the latches all the way across so you could open a drawer by releasing it anywhere instead of only on one end. OTOH, it does have latches and runs about 1/5th the cost of a Snap-On...
I bought a 42" Craftsman top box with full width drawers from Sears to store firearms.

The rollers weren't great on the Craftsman roller chest, so I put the top box on a Harbor Freight 44" roller chest because the rollers seem so much better on it.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:54 AM   #46
genxgixxer
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 179329

Junk

Old 09-25-2017, 02:24 PM   #47
destrux
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 177278

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJames View Post
I will say, their T handle Allen wrenches leave something to be desired...the ball end will snap off really damn easy, managed that trick gingerly torquing down a set screw on an AR gas block but I supposed I can be blamed for that because I'm a gorilla using the wrong damn end for torque.

Their wrenches though? I got a 16 piece SAE/Metric set for 20 bucks. I doubt I'll be able to break them without a 6ft pipe nor will I care if I take a grinder or cut off wheel to them to make a "specialty" tool.

HF can be very damn convenient if you're not a knob.

I might try out one of their work benches and tool carts (maybe, the Kobalt at Lowe's are pretty damn nice and not much more expensive)

I could build a work bench but I'm lazy and by the time I source materials, I'm already in for the price of buying one.
Don't bother with the Kobalt tool chests and carts. I have them, they're nothing great. All the drawers retainers that hold the drawers closed are broken and the rollers on the long drawers are broken. The most often used drawers needed the front welded back together because the spot welds failed from constantly pulling them open.

The roller carts are working but pretty flimsy. Don't load them up much. Probably better off buying from HF because they can't be any worse.

Tool chests and carts and stuff are usually better off bought at factory/industrial auctions. I got some really nice Stanley industrial stuff that way. I don't like Stanley's hardware store grade stuff but their industrial storage stuff is built like a tank.
destrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:58 PM   #48
virgil cole
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 102797

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSAPPER View Post
A lot of their stuff is junk but there are still a lot of SHTF supplies you can get at Harbor Freight. Magnesium fire starters, cast iron pans, Dutch ovens, tarps etc.
If a " magnesium fire starter " does not say " DOAN co. manufacturing " on the back of it then it ain't worth a shit . Take my word on this .
virgil cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:15 PM   #49
Sigiloso
Banned

AKaholic #: 185454

Anyone tried their 7 function multi-meters, that they are giving away for free right now?
Sigiloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:17 AM   #50
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

Got a stack of them at the shop, they work just fine. Maybe not accurate down to .0001 volt, but for any non-NASA quality tests they have always been adequate. I have an OTC multimeter in my toolbox (the HF ones get loaned out!) and when I compare readings from both units they match. Only issue I have had with them is the leads are kinda flimsy, the plastic breaks easy and the wires break off. OTOH, they were free and I always have spares.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:18 AM   #51
Steve_In_29
Semper Fi

AKaholic #: 183727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigiloso View Post
Anyone tried their 7 function multi-meters, that they are giving away for free right now?
I have a bunch and they work just fine.
Steve_In_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:32 AM   #52
cal50
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 2400

Since they have closed most of the Sears stores near me I tried some of the HF pro line impact sockets and wrenches. Actually REALLY good and about half what Sears charges.

Its not Snap on but its not the same cost and works great for most applications.
A decent cheap tool set is still better than no tool set.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:32 AM   #53
Sigiloso
Banned

AKaholic #: 185454

Quote:
Got a stack of them at the shop, they work just fine. Maybe not accurate down to .0001 volt, but for any non-NASA quality tests they have always been adequate. I have an OTC multimeter in my toolbox (the HF ones get loaned out!) and when I compare readings from both units they match. Only issue I have had with them is the leads are kinda flimsy, the plastic breaks easy and the wires break off. OTOH, they were free and I always have spares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
I have a bunch and they work just fine.
Thanks guys.

That'll be my "freebie" the next couple of time I go there. I have good one, but it'll be nice to have couple to leave around where I need/use them and loan out.

Some of that stuff they give away can be useful. I've picked up one of those little LED worklights with the magnet on the back recently, and its already come in handy a few times.
Sigiloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:22 PM   #54
johnnyddn

AKaholic #: 175365

They will take coupons off your phone too if pull up their website.
johnnyddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:29 PM   #55
destrux
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 177278

Yeah I really like their free screwdrivers because I'm bad about forgetting screwdrivers at the salvage yard and if they're free I don't feel compelled to go back and look for it.
destrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:46 PM   #56
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyddn View Post
They will take coupons off your phone too if pull up their website.
You can just write the coupon codes.

They don't need the bar codes.

My phone has a rotary dial and hangs on the wall in my kitchen.

It is fiber optic though.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:49 PM   #57
giantpune
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 188807

My harbor freight has all the coupons in the store for you. Half the time they have next months flyer available, too.
giantpune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:26 AM   #58
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

And some guy in line behind you always has extra coupons he will give you. Heck, one clerk keeps a 20% off coupon behind the counter so she can scan it if you didn't bring one of your own!
Old 10-08-2017, 02:17 AM   #59
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

Quote:
And some guy in line behind you always has extra coupons he will give you. Heck, one clerk keeps a 20% off coupon behind the counter so she can scan it if you didn't bring one of your own!
I've given coupons people at the store.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:16 AM   #60
AKGator

AKaholic #: 188909

I bought that yellow Daytona 3 ton floor jack. The thing is a beast, well built. Lifts my Dodge truck like its a toy and fits under my vette, very pleased with it.
AKGator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:31 AM   #61
brawny
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 187460

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGator View Post
I bought that yellow Daytona 3 ton floor jack. The thing is a beast, well built. Lifts my Dodge truck like its a toy and fits under my vette, very pleased with it.
Wish I had spent money on that rather than the piece of junk Jack I got from AutoZone. Never again
1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Let not him who girds on his armor boast like him who takes it off.
King Ahab
brawny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:12 PM   #62
slmjim
At the CK interface

AKaholic #: 173895

Used to be that some of their drill bits were sourced from Russia. They were very good, hard bits that held an edge well. Haven't seen them for a couple of years though. All they have now is from China; too soft.

Their largest ultrasonic cleaner is a rebranded iSonic unit. iSonic is one of the largest manufacturers of ultrasonic cleaners in the world. Chinese, but good stuff. Mine has many hours on it cleaning motorcycle carburetors, small hardware & such.

Their alkaline batteries are crap in my experience.

Good Shootin'
slmjim
((DB)) #7.62 Mooselimb Mudslimer

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved
at the same level of thinking we were at
when we created them."
Albert Einstein

“The refusal of the Western elite class
to protect their nations from jihadist infiltration
is the biggest betrayal in history.”

Serge Trifkovic
slmjim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:00 PM   #63
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmjim View Post
Used to be that some of their drill bits were sourced from Russia. They were very good, hard bits that held an edge well. Haven't seen them for a couple of years though. All they have now is from China; too soft.

Their largest ultrasonic cleaner is a rebranded iSonic unit. iSonic is one of the largest manufacturers of ultrasonic cleaners in the world. Chinese, but good stuff. Mine has many hours on it cleaning motorcycle carburetors, small hardware & such.

Their alkaline batteries are crap in my experience.

Good Shootin'
slmjim
There is a small hardware store near me that has metric drills from Yugoslavia that they've had since the 1980's.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:07 PM   #64
Cypheros
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 171345

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmjim View Post
I clean guns with mine. Usually, only once every so often, but often enough to be worth it.
Cypheros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:01 AM   #65
sigking
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

AKaholic #: 8744

Quote:
Originally Posted by square.wave View Post
I've been pleasantly surprised with their Predator small engines. I have a generator and wood chipper and they work great. I read somewhere that they are basically Chinese copies of Honda small engines, dunno if it's true.

Just put 20 hp Predator on our pull behind paint mixer at work. 699 plus tax.

Been replacing 1500.00 Kohlers every 2 years. (they run 6-7 hours a day, 3-5 days a week, every week)

Going to get a good workout for sure.

When I fall...let it be from a bullet and not a blade to the throat..

Last edited by sigking; 10-19-2017 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Spelling sucks
sigking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:29 PM   #66
boutcha
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 172420

Quote:
Originally Posted by square.wave View Post
Yep, China ripped off the Honda design 100%
Honda parts will work inside their engines, watched several YT videos of guys talking about using the engines in go-karts and the like discussing it.
One pointed out a website selling the replace parts discussing the compatibility of the parts.

NEW Hungarian IWD Stock Set $165
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319273
boutcha is online now   Reply With Quote