Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > SVDs and RomAK IIIs

Notices

Old 10-11-2017, 11:13 PM   #1
rangerup

AKaholic #: 193154
Default Romanian PSL 54c

Hi guys,
I have been searching around Armslist and GB for going rates for these rifles.

I have read there are several variations. Romanian built CAI import, TGN American built, stuff like that.

What in your guys expertise is the fair market value on a PSL 54c in excellent condition (at least in the pics I seen). Has a couple of mags, non illuminated LPS TIP2 Scope. Original accessory pouch with rods and cleaning kit. Amber scope lens.

Overall the rifle looks amazing. It does say made by ROMARM SA CUGIR in Romania. Imported by CAI. It does have the bayonet lug although the latch points have been shaved, the nub is still there.

The seller is asking $1500 firm. I see them kinda price right around there but with so many variations is this one that edges out another? From what I read this is about as close to milspec being handed out overseas as you can get right now.

Thanks in advance fellas.
rangerup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:48 PM   #2
Hypan

AKaholic #: 190244

Honestly these have been creeping up for a while. I have a feeling when it's all said and done nice specimens will settle around 1500-2000

I've been searching as well for a nice one, I'd feel comfortable around 12-1300 but if a really nice numbers matching one came my way for 1500 I may jump on it. It would have to be unfurled and really nice.
Hypan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:01 AM   #3
rangerup

I have noticed they have been creeping as well. Was hoping since it is a Romanian firearm and we get tons of WASRs that we would also get a ton of these but seems like it is a bit different.

I guess even though the receiver is built in a Romanian factory it is assembled on a parts kit? I wonder what barrels are used or if they are built totally over there then neutered to get in. The one I have been looking at has the bay lug sides shaved and flash hider pinned. Funny cause I always thought the pinned FH was to make it legal 16in length. I think these have a 24in barrel?

Back to the barrel, it looks gorgeous and bright and the bore certainly looks chrome lined from the pics just unsure if the whole thing is. Whatever is "milspec" I would be cool with since they say a non chrome lined barrel is actually better for accuraccy but then try to find cheap non corrosive 762.54r lol. TulAmmo and more expensive hunting cartridges are pretty much the only choices. Even the ol 440rd 147gr spam cans are drying up or folks are asking way too much for corrosive ammo.

Well I guess I got my answer. 12-1500 is the going rate for a PSL these days. As much as I want one now I really wish I would have nabbed them up when they were 600 lol.

Since its Romanian shouldn't there be a steady supply of these coming in? I know they are mass producing them for the Iraqi and Afghani Armies but its not like they are banned from import right?
Old 10-12-2017, 12:09 AM   #4
raggedwhole!
Banned

AKaholic #: 172787

I don't think any more are coming in. I have waited for awhile. If you see a clean example just buy it.
raggedwhole! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:40 AM   #5
rangerup

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedwhole! View Post
I don't think any more are coming in. I have waited for awhile. If you see a clean example just buy it.
well that's all the excuse I needed to buy a new rifle lol. I think I'll scoop it up.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:39 PM   #6
ratmil
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 190051

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerup View Post
well that's all the excuse I needed to buy a new rifle lol. I think I'll scoop it up.
That's exactly what I did. I kept talking myself out of one back when there were in the $575 range (scoped). Then I talked myself out of them when they were $575 (no scope). Then they dissappeared ... and have not been back since. And nobody - for years now - has had any inkling of more coming in. And then I found out that the Romanians were getting military assistance funds to get those into the hands of Iraqi, Ukrainian and other forces. So, little chance of excess civilian capacity for the foreseeable future.

So I hunted for several months and came up with a local deal for $1300, which included a PSL sporter, a 440 tin of ammo, and a Russian PSO Rangefinder scope. I wanted a Romy scope, but this PSO rangefinder is really quite nice - superior to the Romy scope, even though it is not "authentic" to the PSL. I'm really enjoying this rifle, despite the pricing. I wouldn't go past $1500 personally even for a pristine ANIB example.

At the moment (literally) I am heating up a rubber recoil pad in the oven to see if I can stretch it over the rear stock. It's supposedly an AK/SKS/PSL recoil pad, but it's a good 3/4 inch short for the PSL stock.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
—C. S. Lewis, God in the Dock, p. 292
ratmil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:17 PM   #7
ncreptile
Has a six demon bag.
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 165174

I'd wait around and see if you cannot find one for under $1300. $1500 just seems a bit high to me.

I gotta be that guy that mentions getting one back when they were $700 and came with 4 magazines, bag and scope. The good days.
ncreptile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:08 PM   #8
ratmil
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 190051

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncreptile View Post
I'd wait around and see if you cannot find one for under $1300. $1500 just seems a bit high to me.

I gotta be that guy that mentions getting one back when they were $700 and came with 4 magazines, bag and scope. The good days.
Ha - I beat you ... I posted about when they were $575, scope, mags, bag, oiler ...

Of course, I remember nickel and diming between my Romak at $199 and a Maadi at $250. And the Bulgys at $299 were just too extravagent.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
—C. S. Lewis, God in the Dock, p. 292
ratmil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:35 PM   #9
Chosen_1
El Chosen Juan
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 159949

I'm just gonna rub in too, I'm glad I got my kit 5 years ago for $550, including OG barrel, TGI receiver, scope and 4 extra mags.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:25 PM   #10
MotoG5

AKaholic #: 192323
Default Shaved BL and Pined FH

Noticed this thread in passing. I bought a Romanian PSL 54c from an on line site called Sniper Country back when they were around $750. Came in a plastic rifle case with the accessories. It had the shaved BL and pined FH. At the time there was a big deal about having a threaded muzzle or a readily removable muzzle device and a bayonet attachment being some of the evil features not allowed for importation under the old AWB. I think that was the reason for these mods. It does show, I think, that the rifle was an import and not modified here but who knows. I have had good luck with my rifle and shot it quite a lot with hand loaded ammo just because its more accurate with it. And I hate cleaning it up after using corrosive.
MotoG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:58 PM   #11
akaf47
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 164645

looks nice!
Is that an actual Cugir import, I didn't think they were imported with the bayo lug?
akaf47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:51 PM   #12
JimMac
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 169345

I would keep a eye on armslist and backpage. 2 easter sundays ago there was one local 4 mags 4x scope I gave 750 and a 91/30 mosin that I bought for 100 bucks. they pop up occasionally but not for that cheap. just have cash ready when one does pop up. couple years prior, after they dried up I found local for 650 1 mag and a illuminated 6x scope. and my 1 brain dead idea I had, instead of buying one for $449, I bought a original barreled parts kit and a Romanian reciever then sent it out to be built.
would have been cheaper to buy a running psl. jim
JimMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:06 PM   #13
ncreptile
Has a six demon bag.
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 165174

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaf47 View Post
looks nice!
Is that an actual Cugir import, I didn't think they were imported with the bayo lug?
Most of the time the bayonet lug was ground down on either side giving the appearance it was still there. I've seen them done very sloppy to the point that a bayonet could still be attached or even done so poorly(if at all) that they looked untouched. Can't remember if some were imported with a complete lug or not.
ncreptile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:53 PM   #14
MotoG5

Quote:
Most of the time the bayonet lug was ground down on either side giving the appearance it was still there. I've seen them done very sloppy to the point that a bayonet could still be attached or even done so poorly(if at all) that they looked untouched. Can't remember if some were imported with a complete lug or not.
At the time I bought the one pictured it was my understanding that none were imported with out the bayonet lug being ground down or having the flash hider either pined or spot welded in place.
Mine has the bayonet lug ground down but I have never tried to see if it is still functional or not. Never felt the need to try and find a bayonet for it.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:07 PM   #15
MotoG5

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaf47 View Post
looks nice!
When I bought it the dealer (Sniper Country) told me that it was an import from Romania and since I have never found any reason to believe that its not. The ground down bayonet lug along with the pined flash hider were required for import at that time. Or at least that's what I have always thought was the case. At any rate I have been totally satisfied with the rifle after many rounds down range and have even used it for deer hunting with good results. I must admit though its one heavy and some what clumsy deer gun. I modified a ten round mag by using a pop rivet in it to limit it to five rounds to make it legal for hunting in my state. I still think that if I had been checked by the game warden it would have raised a few questions.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:53 PM   #16
Choppa city

AKaholic #: 188753

U need to get yourself a factory five rounder. I have 2. One is serial numbered to my psl. Romak 3s were imported with 1 10 rndr, and 1 5 rndr, both serialed to the rifle.
Choppa city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:02 AM   #17
MotoG5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppa city View Post
U need to get yourself a factory five rounder. I have 2. One is serial numbered to my psl. Romak 3s were imported with 1 10 rndr, and 1 5 rndr, both serialed to the rifle.
I knew that they (5 rounders) were out there but never had the chance to pick one up. The rivet mod was no big deal as all you need to do is put a pop rivet in the inspection hole found on the standard ten round mags that is in the perfect spot to limit the floor plate from allowing more than five rounds in it. When your done just drill out the rivet and its a ten rounder again. I don't plan on using the PLC for deer hunting again but it was fun to give it a go. If I do run across a 5 round mag I would pick it up if the price wasn't to high but these days it most likely would be.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:09 AM   #18
Mark75H
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 158645

It would be. You would be lucky to find a 5 rounder these days for less than $125
Mark75H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:12 PM   #19
mojo00
AK SNOB

AKaholic #: 9021

Quote:
Mine came with a unmolested lug. Flash hider is pinned though.

PSL-54C
libertarians can suck my sweaty balls
mojo00 is online now   Reply With Quote