Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 07-12-2018, 01:32 AM   #36
cyberjad
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 173415

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
many of us buy mags for OTHER than SHTF scenarios too. We lived through the ban period times when mags were short and they went for STUPID prices. A lot of us "mag hoarders" are doing so that we could technically go through another AWB and never have to buy a mag again in our lifetime.
This. It was not that long ago that magazines were hard to find and crazy expensive. Many gun owners learned hard lessons during the last big scare.
cyberjad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:36 AM   #37
Fire4Effect
Tap, rack, bang

AKaholic #: 181925

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberjad View Post
This. It was not that long ago that magazines were hard to find and crazy expensive. Many gun owners learned hard lessons during the last big scare.
So on one hand I constantly read "muh steel mil surp mags last longer than my bones will" but then I read shit like this which makes it sounds like they are perishables and you guys go through them like something that will expire.

Which is it?
Old 07-12-2018, 02:46 AM   #38
Coats
Veteran Member
Contributor

AKaholic #: 188748

If mags and guns is your thing I think it has to do with the feeling of possessing something that potentially, someday you are not allowed to buy anymore per Federal Regs. Prohibition comes to mind? Having a lot of what you are not allowed to buy anymore feels good. Not having a lot invested in what is crazy stupid expensive now feels good and is good for your pockets. Stocks come to mind. Unfortunately for me, I did not get into AKs until 2012-13 and then did not really know shit until 2014. Sadly, I missed the best years to buy where prices were low and variety was everywhere. Supply/Demand
Is the end coming? Politics are closing the door on the imported AK, its accessories, and the history that comes with them. World events are having a direct effect on prices and availability. There is a finite supply CONUS vs infinite supply OCONUS. I am not moving out of my country. While the getting is good, I am buying as much of what I want; as I can afford.

Last edited by Coats; 07-12-2018 at 03:01 AM.
Coats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:44 AM   #39
230infantry

AKaholic #: 193736

Quote:
many of us buy mags for OTHER than SHTF scenarios too. We lived through the ban period times when mags were short and they went for STUPID prices. A lot of us "mag hoarders" are doing so that we could technically go through another AWB and never have to buy a mag again in our lifetime.
Exactly why I pick up mags for all my guns when I have the chance. For my aks I have maybe 30ish mags of all types. My source of bake mags always sells them for $35 so I buy a few every time I go there and they have them. For my ar15s I have close to 40 and most of those were free. I feel another mag buying frenzy coming on. I can see a high cap mag ban coming with a Democrat in office. Iíve learned from my dads mistake, but cheap and stack deep.
230infantry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:51 AM   #40
catmando

AKaholic #: 194694

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230infantry View Post
Exactly why I pick up mags for all my guns when I have the chance. For my aks I have maybe 30ish mags of all types. My source of bake mags always sells them for $35 so I buy a few every time I go there and they have them. For my ar15s I have close to 40 and most of those were free. I feel another mag buying frenzy coming on. I can see a high cap mag ban coming with a Democrat in office. Iíve learned from my dads mistake, but cheap and stack deep.
Exactly right ^^^^. That's why I've been buying up any Russian mags for the last 3 years. Mostly Tula Bakelites. Buying off GB penny start no reserve auctions only. I knew this was coming. As far as a ban goes yes there will be one on HC mags before Trump is out of office. All the more reason I've been buying them cheap and stacking them deep. Lol.
catmando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:55 AM   #41
bondmen
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 86277

It was much easier to load up on imported AK mags when prices were considerably lower than they are today. I think there are fewer magazine hoarders today since prices are higher.

We will see what the future holds as to what remains of foreign stockpiles making their way over the oceans. The only way prices will settle down is if greater supplies arrive.
bondmen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:06 AM   #42
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

Supply + demand = selling price point

Imported mags come in waves and accompany rifles like PAP and WASR but are sold of separately. When imports are plentiful the price will reflect that and go lower.
When imports are low the price will reflect that and go higher. It is cyclical.

Buy low., sell high if liquidating.

No conspiracy, facebook, greed or good guys on a web site really affect prices to any degree.
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:47 AM   #43
TXsailor
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 193986

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrog210 View Post
Not the only alternative mang.

What other alternative do you see?

Mags everywhere are $12 for grade 3 or more, easily hitting $18 a piece for good condition. Even here in the MP. So, if there are no sources for better priced mags, and you don't own mags, what's other option is there than pay the price or go without?
TXsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:00 PM   #44
Tankboy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183589

Pretty sure ATF seized like 20-30k ak74 mags or something not too long ago. Everyone is trying to point fingers at people but the main reason is because our government is screwing us and taking and banning and regulating our shit to hell. There are still ass loads of surplus out there it’s just being blocked. I think it’ll get better we’re just going through a rough/dry period right now.
Tankboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:28 PM   #45
brawny
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 187460

I was just half joking about our hoarding affecting prices. It probably doesn't help but I'm sure the point about import restrictions is spot on.
1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Do you even agency, bro?
brawny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:07 PM   #46
monkeydo

AKaholic #: 195631

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire4Effect View Post
So on one hand I constantly read "muh steel mil surp mags last longer than my bones will" but then I read shit like this which makes it sounds like they are perishables and you guys go through them like something that will expire.

Which is it?
Exactly. 10 steel and/or quality mags is going to last anyone a life time. Especially 10 per rifle. The only other reason to buy more than that is either they are overestimating how many they would need in a SHTF scenario, it's their hobby, they are investing with the hopes that prices will go out the roof and they can make a lot of money, they are afraid they will be banned one day, or they are just underestimating the lifespan of a mag. Most everyone that I've heard from that own ridiculous amounts of mags are prepping for a SHTF scenario. If we ever do find ourselves in such a scenario, there's going to be a lot of people feeling pretty stupid about how many mags they thought were practical.
monkeydo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:21 PM   #47
barbarous relic
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 158148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Gun Mateo View Post
I understand collecting bakes with different stamps, swirls etc. but having 40 + mags doesnít make sense.
Clint Smith disagrees
barbarous relic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:43 PM   #48
brawny
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarous relic View Post
I have enough aks (4), not enough ars (1), and not enough Glocks (1), so my short/long term goals are to get more ammo, more mags, and at least 1 more ea ar and g19. Add a Lee press and appurtenances and never stop adding this, that, and the other.

Do you even agency, bro?
Old 07-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #49
bigrog210
Vierfruchtpyjama
Contributor

AKaholic #: 177977

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXsailor View Post

What other alternative do you see?

Mags everywhere are $12 for grade 3 or more, easily hitting $18 a piece for good condition. Even here in the MP. So, if there are no sources for better priced mags, and you don't own mags, what's other option is there than pay the price or go without?
You can trade for mags, you can find out who the mag whores are and politely ask them if they would be willing to make a deal ( this takes effort though) you can make a WTB ad and specify how much you're willing to pay for what condition mags, Tapco, Magpul, gun show finds, local gun boards, wait and scoop up the dented rusted ones and fix them yourself. More options than those in front of your nose.
There's huge stockpiles around i know that for a fact.

/////
Magaholic

CTAK social group
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/group.php?groupid=39
bigrog210 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:03 PM   #50
bigrog210
Vierfruchtpyjama
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brawny View Post
I have enough aks (4), not enough ars (1), and not enough Glocks (1), so my short/long term goals are to get more ammo, more mags, and at least 1 more ea ar and g19. Add a Lee press and appurtenances and never stop adding this, that, and the other.
Soooo debating on getting an AR but i just haven't pulled that trigger yet.
Do i really need to go down thst rabbit hole? Ugh!

/////
Magaholic

CTAK social group
Old 07-12-2018, 02:04 PM   #51
brawny
Curio & Relic

Quote:
You can trade for mags, you can find out who the mag whores are and politely ask them if they would be willing to make a deal ( this takes effort though) you can make a WTB ad and specify how much you're willing to pay for what condition mags, Tapco, Magpul, gun show finds, local gun boards, wait and scoop up the dented rusted ones and fix them yourself. More options than those in front of your nose.
There's huge stockpiles around i know that for a fact.
Can confirm, bigrog hooked me up. He probably won't do that for you though. His benevolence only goes so far

Do you even agency, bro?
Old 07-12-2018, 02:04 PM   #52
brawny
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Soooo debating on getting an AR but i just haven't pulled that trigger yet.
Do i really need to go down thst rabbit hole? Ugh!
You need at least one AR pistol and one AR rifle.

Do you even agency, bro?
Old 07-12-2018, 02:33 PM   #53
bigrog210
Vierfruchtpyjama
Contributor

Quote:
Can confirm, bigrog hooked me up. He probably won't do that for you though. His benevolence only goes so far
via Imgflip Meme Generator
True ,like i stated it takes effort
Quote:
You need at least one AR pistol and one AR rifle.
Awe hell, an AR pistol too?
Geez does it ever end ?
If i got one it'd probably be a cheapo or mid priced as it wouldn't get shot much . I lubs muh AKs

/////
Magaholic

CTAK social group
Old 07-12-2018, 02:39 PM   #54
brawny
Curio & Relic

Quote:
via Imgflip Meme Generator
True ,like i stated it takes effort
Awe hell, an AR pistol too?
Geez does it ever end ?
If i got one it'd probably be a cheapo or mid priced as it wouldn't get shot much . I lubs muh AKs
Me too but with prices as they are you'd be a fool not to.
You can easily get a pistol and rifle for under 1000 bucks. Just shop around and build it yourself.
Accessories can quickly double that price though
PSA is your friend

Do you even agency, bro?
Old 07-12-2018, 02:56 PM   #55
bigrog210
Vierfruchtpyjama
Contributor

You're pushing me over the edge bro, i guess it's time to start at least window shopping, unfortunately I'm a total noob with the AR other than shooting a buddies a few times. Any suggestions on a model # from PSA ?
Guess I'll start here in the damned AR15 sub forum first, gotta read up.
Also if you wouldn't mind , after i do some shopping could i PM you for some opinions?

/////
Magaholic

CTAK social group
Old 07-12-2018, 03:02 PM   #56
brawny
Curio & Relic

Quote:
You're pushing me over the edge bro, i guess it's time to start at least window shopping, unfortunately I'm a total noob with the AR other than shooting a buddies a few times. Any suggestions on a model # from PSA ?
Also if you wouldn't mind , after i do some shopping could i PM you for some opinions?
Sure but I'm not much farther along than you are. There are lots of guys here who are much more knowledgeable, although not nearly as wise, handsome, or humble.

Do you even agency, bro?
Old 07-12-2018, 03:14 PM   #57
bigrog210
Vierfruchtpyjama
Contributor

LOL. Right on man . I shall search them out when the time is right. Thanks

Now that i think about it i bet a few guys from CTAK could help me too

/////
Magaholic

CTAK social group
Old 07-12-2018, 03:17 PM   #58
CajunK

AKaholic #: 174998

Quote:
This.

Same goes for "evil feature" firearms in general.
CajunK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:25 PM   #59
TangoUniform
за мой Автомат Калашникова
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 167175

A lot of older people have been collecting firearms, mags, ammo, etc. for decades. Some have conex trailers full of stuff. I know one dealer that has been hoarding firearm surplus for years and has thousands of surplus AK mags squirreled away, just waiting for the right time to sell them (he's a hoarder and will never sell, his kids will after he dies though).

Keep in mind that the Russians have been manufacturing AK magazines for over 70 years!!! Add to that number the amount of mags the Hungarians, Romanians, Bulgarians, Ukrainians, Poles, Chinese, etc. have been making for about the same amount of time. Understand that TENS OF MILLIONS have been produced (more than 100 million???). We are no where near running out of AK magazines. The question is, how many are foreign governments willing to sell off and for how much? Add to that, what are the costs (import restrictions, red tape, greased palms, etc.) for importing those magazines?

As others have posted above, price is predicted by the law of supply and demand. We are in a high demand, low supply condition at the time so prices are going to be higher.
Это моя винтовка. Существует много, таких как она, но эта единственная моя!
TangoUniform is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:39 PM   #60
angryWaiter

AKaholic #: 193169

Quote:
LOL. Right on man . I shall search them out when the time is right. Thanks

Now that i think about it i bet a few guys from CTAK could help me too
Sure thing.
angryWaiter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:53 PM   #61
Black Blade
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 181106

The last time I scooped up mags were when Cabela's had barrels of new AR mags for $6 each in their stores a couple years ago. Haven't seen any great deals on AK mags since I grabbed a few boxes of Yugo BHO mags from AIM for maybe $7 each a few years ago. Even Tantal steel mags were plentiful and cheap and haven't seen them for under $30 for a long time now.

I haven't been paying much attention to prices these days. Maybe when talk of new AWB talk occurs and prices go crazy again I may be persuaded to shake loose a few mags but for now they remain in my "bunker" as it were.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:32 PM   #62
TangoUniform
за мой Автомат Калашникова
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 167175

Quote:
Let me help you spend some money.

You can't go wrong with either of these rifles. I have the mid-length "freedom" kit and it's been very reliable over the 1500 rds of Tulammo, Wolf and Federal I've ran through it.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...516446841.html

Here is an "M-4" rifle for the same price:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...516446600.html

Or you can save a bit buy piecing it together:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/blem...165448758.html

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...165448002.html

Or you can scratch your .308 AR itch for this crazy price:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...165448727.html
Это моя винтовка. Существует много, таких как она, но эта единственная моя!
TangoUniform is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:45 PM   #63
bigrog210
Vierfruchtpyjama
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryWaiter View Post
Sure thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoUniform View Post
Let me help you spend some money.

You can't go wrong with either of these rifles. I have the mid-length "freedom" kit and it's been very reliable over the 1500 rds of Tulammo, Wolf and Federal I've ran through it.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...516446841.html

Here is an "M-4" rifle for the same price:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...516446600.html

Or you can save a bit buy piecing it together:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/blem...165448758.html

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...165448002.html

Or you can scratch your .308 AR itch for this crazy price:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...165448727.html
Thank you gents.

/////
Magaholic

CTAK social group
Old 07-12-2018, 05:27 PM   #64
brawny
Curio & Relic

This is a really good deal on a entry to Mid pistol
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...516448746.html

Do you even agency, bro?
Old 07-12-2018, 08:17 PM   #65
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankboy View Post
Pretty sure ATF seized like 20-30k ak74 mags or something not too long ago. Everyone is trying to point fingers at people but the main reason is because our government is screwing us and taking and banning and regulating our shit to hell. There are still ass loads of surplus out there itís just being blocked. I think itíll get better weíre just going through a rough/dry period right now.
Any evidence or documentation relative to this claim?
AK74 mags are generally not a restricted import item.
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:28 PM   #66
Sweersa
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 157316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Gun Mateo View Post
I understand collecting bakes with different stamps, swirls etc. but having 40 + mags doesnít make sense.
Yes it does.

Mags wear down and break.

Many rifles need many more mags.

Mags are fun.

Mags hold and increase in value, so are good investments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeManassas View Post
So, can I assume that WTF is not one of the Marketplace headings like WTS, WTB, or WTT?
Sweersa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:00 PM   #67
TrailMixNC
Take some shooting lessons, asshole

AKaholic #: 184323

Honest question. Not rhetorical...

Who here has ever said to him/herself, "Jeez, I wish I had fewer mags."
TrailMixNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:28 PM   #68
Killface45
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 181879

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigan View Post
Ten magazines per rifle is a decent standard, I say.
You need to pump those numbers up.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:40 PM   #69
Craigan

AKaholic #: 187609

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killface45 View Post
You need to pump those numbers up.
I have 325 mags.

Just haven't built their rifles, yet. I need 8 more Childers blanks.
Craigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:55 PM   #70
Killface45
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 181879

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydo View Post
Exactly. 10 steel and/or quality mags is going to last anyone a life time. Especially 10 per rifle. The only other reason to buy more than that is either they are overestimating how many they would need in a SHTF scenario, it's their hobby, they are investing with the hopes that prices will go out the roof and they can make a lot of money, they are afraid they will be banned one day, or they are just underestimating the lifespan of a mag. Most everyone that I've heard from that own ridiculous amounts of mags are prepping for a SHTF scenario. If we ever do find ourselves in such a scenario, there's going to be a lot of people feeling pretty stupid about how many mags they thought were practical.
No one is planning on walking around with 200 mags.

America will ban guns. We never gain any rights or freedom. It's only taken away. So simply by looking at our retarded society it is 100% believable that standard capacity mags will be banned and then guns.