Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > SVDs and RomAK IIIs

Notices

Old 05-31-2018, 09:16 AM   #1
Hilljack
Veteran Member
Contributor

AKaholic #: 29
Default Waffen werks SVD receiver?

What is this?

https://www.centerfiresystems.com/p-...px?keyword=svd
Old 05-31-2018, 10:11 AM   #2
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

Here>

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346101
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:45 AM   #3
Hilljack
Veteran Member
Contributor

Hhmmm.

Still not a lot of info on these.

Thanks for the link.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:22 PM   #4
WolfmanReid

AKaholic #: 154786

A couple years ago I bought a some of the leftover .308 NDM-86 Parts and receivers the gentleman who made these receivers used for R&D (which involved chopping up a number of rifles unfortunately). The principle problem I see with these is the fact that .308 SVD bolts are virtually unobtainable (in 8 years of collecting I have seen and purchased 2 “in the wild”) and that these receivers don’t appear to have the necessary milling cut outs for the ejector. The missing bolt cam surface can be manufactured pretty easily (I had 2 made at a cost of about $150) but at any rate it seems the receivers would take some work to make usable.

Might be an interesting project for someone; but not for me.
WolfmanReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 06:39 PM   #5
vtb

AKaholic #: 183051

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfmanReid View Post
A couple years ago I bought a some of the leftover .308 NDM-86 Parts and receivers the gentleman who made these receivers used for R&D (which involved chopping up a number of rifles unfortunately). The principle problem I see with these is the fact that .308 SVD bolts are virtually unobtainable (in 8 years of collecting I have seen and purchased 2 “in the wild”) and that these receivers don’t appear to have the necessary milling cut outs for the ejector. The missing bolt cam surface can be manufactured pretty easily (I had 2 made at a cost of about $150) but at any rate it seems the receivers would take some work to make usable.

Might be an interesting project for someone; but not for me.
There is no such thing as "russian 308 svd reciever". Since in Russia It is just 762x54r reciever with same extractor cutout as with 762x54r bolt.

Also i do not understand why all guys here consider rebarelling SVD a huge problem.
Any gunsmith in US cabaple to rebarrel Remington 700 can rebarrel SVD without any problem at all.

The easiest way to go is to make 300WSM SVD since the 762x54r bolt will feed and extract 300wsm case with no problem as well SVD original magazine will feed 300wsm case.

Gas port hole can be drilled vertical - it will work.
To avoid mess up with original furniture any HK416/417 will fit - you just have to make clamp-on compatible barrel nut.

Last edited by vtb; 06-03-2018 at 06:45 PM.
vtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:00 PM   #6
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

^^^ Well there ya go. Sounds like you have it simplified readily enough.
Buy the Centerfire receivers and crank out the .308 SVD's and start marketing/selling them. Opportunity knocks.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:05 PM   #7
WolfmanReid

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtb View Post
There is no such thing as "russian 308 svd reciever". Since in Russia It is just 762x54r reciever with same extractor cutout as with 762x54r bolt.

Also i do not understand why all guys here consider rebarelling SVD a huge problem.
Any gunsmith in US cabaple to rebarrel Remington 700 can rebarrel SVD without any problem at all.

The easiest way to go is to make 300WSM SVD since the 762x54r bolt will feed and extract 300wsm case with no problem as well SVD original magazine will feed 300wsm case.

Gas port hole can be drilled vertical - it will work.
To avoid mess up with original furniture any HK416/417 will fit - you just have to make clamp-on compatible barrel nut.
That’s all well and good except these particular receivers are copies of a Chinese, not Russian .308 Dragunov rifle. The .308 Chinese receivers are somewhat different from the .308 Russian receivers and have a magazine well that is completely differently shaped from a Russian 7.62x54r mag well since it uses a unique chinese designed box magazine. Perhaps .300 wsm would feed reliably from either a .308 NDM-86 magazine or perhaps a .308 Galil Magazine but I doubt it. The Chinese .308 NDM-86 rifles also use a different bolt hold open than the Russian rifles to compensate for the differently shaped magazines but that could be fabricated fairly easily I imagine.

Again, back to my original point that the lack of available .308 SVD bolts becomes a problem, unless you have a source for Russian ones since to my knowledge they aren’t available from China anymore.

That is interesting info about .300wsm feeding from an SVD mag with 54r bolt bolt! Thanks for that! How does the rifle perform with .300wsm?

Incidentally a properly angled gas port can easily be drilled with an aircraft angle drill. Lots of people in the states have rebarreled their Tigr rifles, a member of this board had a run of 620mm long SVD barrels made for that very purpose.

Last edited by WolfmanReid; 06-03-2018 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:12 PM   #8
specz79
Director of Awesome
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 169416

IBTL

Nec Bonum Nec Malum Vagina Gallium Facit

Corruptissima Re Publica Plurimae Leges
specz79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:32 PM   #9
Towerofpower93

AKaholic #: 105103

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtb View Post

While this may be an accurate statement from a technical perspective, the fact that there are very few SVDs in this country, and the associated inflation of value, leads most gunsmiths to wave off from working on them.

I've turned over in my mind a few times how I might rebarrel my Tiger turned SVDS with a new match barrel with .308 bore so I can handload PPU cases with the myriad .308 diameter match bullets we have in order to turn my 2MOA Tiger turned SVDS into a shooter, but the cost:benefit ratio quickly surpasses any bolt gun or high end AR10 build which can turn out 1MOA or less results.

Such a shame, really, as I'd love a section of the safes dedicated to SVD rifles in different calibers....but the leadership of our country two decades ago decided the SVD was just too dangerous to our citizens or too damaging to our economy to allow continued importation.

ETA: based on the above, I'm left with a KBI import SVD for distance work and a Tiger turned SVDS for fun factor, both of which have less accuracy (within 800yds) and more recoil than my 18" Daniel Defense SPR AR in 5.56 with 77gr handloads.
Towerofpower93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:00 PM   #10
vtb

AKaholic #: 183051

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfmanReid View Post
Again, back to my original point that the lack of available .308 SVD bolts becomes a problem, unless you have a source for Russian ones since to my knowledge they aren’t available from China anymore.

That is interesting info about .300wsm feeding from an SVD mag with 54r bolt bolt! Thanks for that! How does the rifle perform with .300wsm?

Incidentally a properly angled gas port can easily be drilled with an aircraft angle drill. Lots of people in the states have rebarreled their Tigr rifles, a member of this board had a run of 620mm long SVD barrels made for that very purpose.
Well. Since 300WM is cheaper in CZ now than 300WSM and since i had a spare Dragunov I've made 300WM SVD from 762x54R rifle.

I've used new 26.5" 1:8.5 barrel (27mm dia to the end of chassis and 22.5mm dia to the muzzlebrake) our freefloat chassis (+ adjustable buttstock) and basic 762x54r reciever - we had to widen the magwell to accept svdk magazine (it is for 9.3x64 round so it holds 300WM rounds fine).

The bolt is stock 762x54 as well as all other parts.
Gasblock is adjustable, custom milled and muzzlebrake is AAC. Weight of the rifle is 5.3 kg.

300WM is on the top:

Rifle runs 220gr Lapua scenar at 870ms and do have under 1MOA up to 600m (i don't have a longer range)

Main problem is the svdk plastic magazine 4 rounds are ok but when you insert 5 its widens and will not go into magwell easily - i will replace it with AICS LA. Other than that i really like the rifle - it is nice and a soft shooter

That is why i consider to rebarrel short one to 300WSM or 270WSM- the original steel 762x54r magazine is very good.

Last edited by vtb; 06-07-2018 at 05:29 PM.
vtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:01 PM   #11
Hilljack
Veteran Member
Contributor

Doesn’t look too bad. Edges are sharp. Bolt carrier stops part way down the rails. Both .308 and 54r bolts fit. Hole for safety is not milled all the way.
Trigger group seemed to fit.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:18 PM   #12
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 171780

looks promising, too bad they never built the real deal with it

Last edited by MAKAK47; 06-14-2018 at 10:19 PM. Reason: unnecessary quote of photos above
MAKAK47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:45 AM   #13
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Nice., it will be interesting to see what comes of some of these receivers in the future.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:08 AM   #14
Hilljack
Veteran Member
Contributor

It definitely would have been nice to get a complete rifle.

Now we know who it was building a USA made Dragunov, a couple years ago.

Hopefully these can be built into something cool.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:33 AM   #15
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilljack View Post
It definitely would have been nice to get a complete rifle.

Now we know who it was building a USA made Dragunov, a couple years ago.

Hopefully these can be built into something cool.
Aytempting to build?
Old 06-16-2018, 04:39 AM   #16
silvermane_1
((the wagons))anti-troll brigade CO

AKaholic #: 170966

well these things need to built, there is a strong market for svd that are sub $5k, heck make the the price sub $1.5k and they would be sold out before the first one hits the shelf.
...times are gone for honest men and sometimes far to long for snakes... -RIP Chris Cornell
Happiness is a road, lined with the bones of those whom sold out America, for personal gain/profit. -Me
"Sic semper nova orbis terrae ordinatio collectarius"-Me
silvermane_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:22 AM   #17
Hilljack
Veteran Member
Contributor

I hope to build it.

The other thread brings up the problems with building on this receiver.

Heat treat and parts primarily.

Would like to build a 6.5 Creedmoor with a 20" barrel, set up for suppressor use.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:44 AM   #18
semper-dissolubilis

AKaholic #: 177416

Too bad, I missed the deal on the receivers-I went to the website to buy one on the same day this thread was started but they were gone by the time I got there.
Chinese .308 mags are hard to find and expensive but it might have worked for my plan of building an SVD based short magnum, ah well such are the times. I'll keep looking around.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:19 PM   #19
maxxmojo
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 154628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilljack View Post
I hope to build it.

The other thread brings up the problems with building on this receiver.

Heat treat and parts primarily.

Would like to build a 6.5 Creedmoor with a 20" barrel, set up for suppressor use.
It's blasphemy, but I hope to one day convert my .308 NDM into the same thing.
Clinton and his Assault Weapons Ban where in the news. I asked him if he thought there could be an armed struggle in the US. His words still hold true today, "Men with beer bellies don't make Revolutions".
maxxmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 03:48 PM   #20
WolfmanReid

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxmojo View Post
It's blasphemy, but I hope to one day convert my .308 NDM into the same thing.
If you do sell me your barrel!