Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Old 05-21-2018, 10:39 PM   #1
Jagick
Sieg Zeon!
Contributor

AKaholic #: 181226
Default Is it ever worth it to give them up?

In a bit of a low here folks and it's not even from a situation that directly affects me in any real way, but it really got me thinking. Is it ever worth it in any circumstance to sell off every single firearm you have? To give some context to the situation, my closest friend just had to put down her cat due to being unable to afford the surgery / blood transfusions necessary to save its life. She's be looking at a cost of near $4,000 AFTER the $1,100 or so just from the diagnostics. While this pet was not my own, I was there when she found it as a stray kitten and it has been a constant presence in my life as much as my own dog has been.

I was not in a financial position to be able to help either, ironically the reason being that we just saved our dog from Renal Failure and paid just over $5,000 out of pocket to do so, but after doing a bit of number crunching I found that if I had taken a week or so to sell off every firearm, every magazine, and maybe the ammunition I have I could likely have afforded to save her cat. This guilt is kind of weighing me down because I didn't even consider it until it was too late. As much as I love my rifles, the matching Maltby Enfield in particular, I feel as though I'd drop them all in a heartbeat if it meant saving even just a beloved pet. So I ask you fellows. Do you think it is ever worth it to get rid of them ALL in any circumstance? What would it take for you? Ever been in such a situation in which you've been forced to part with a prized piece for some reason or another?

Disclaimer: This thread has nothing to do with "surrendering" firearms or confiscation. It's about making a choice between keeping your firearms or giving them up for something "more important." Please keep the political stuff in the proper section below.
Jagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:44 PM   #2
nhm90
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 166963

I have personally sold an entire collection that I spent years acquiring, chasing specific firearms all over the country while dropping thousands in the process all to help a friend who was in a bad spot.

There is nothing more important than friends and family. That includes mans best friend too. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.
nhm90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:54 PM   #3
jtscuba02
Cutout
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 166235

If the times get hard enough, you will have to do whatever it takes. Does imminent loss of a pet equate to hard times? I guess that would depend on the individual. I know people that have paid for chemotherapy for pets.
jtscuba02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:57 PM   #4
OHVET
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 190610

I lost my dog a few years ago. I had the money for the vet and their was no question. She was old but after so many years you could read the love in her eyes. The vet got her stable and told me a weeks worth of medication would cost about $100. I bought 3 months worth, that was the most they were allowed to sell to me at one time. She died a few days later. My point is that death is a fact of life. Selling everything to help someone get back on their feet is one thing. Selling everything for a cause that can not be won such as a terminal illness is another. The animal in most cases can not be given a better life just a prolonged end. It is a heartbreaking fact of life, do not feel guilty, just give comfort to the survivors.
OHVET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:02 PM   #5
Romy_G

AKaholic #: 195355

Unless it's my wife or kids, no.

Definitely not for an animal.
Romy_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:05 PM   #6
MI redneck
Hold my beer...!
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 176975

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHVET View Post
I lost my dog a few years ago. I had the money for the vet and their was no question. She was old but after so many years you could read the love in her eyes. The vet got her stable and told me a weeks worth of medication would cost about $100. I bought 3 months worth, that was the most they were allowed to sell to me at one time. She died a few days later. My point is that death is a fact of life. Selling everything to help someone get back on their feet is one thing. Selling everything for a cause that can not be won such as a terminal illness is another. The animal in most cases can not be given a better life just a prolonged end. It is a heartbreaking fact of life, do not feel guilty, just give comfort to the survivors.
Been there, done that.

Well said sir!

Sorry about the loss of your dog.

Congressional hearings are like strip clubs.... As a spectator, you leave with a hard dick and an empty wallet every time, while the whores go off to enjoy spending your hard earned money on more blow.
All American countryboy
Red neck
White ass
Blue collar
MI redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:21 PM   #7
chknfkr
Low balling stupid BASTARD

AKaholic #: 172241

Emergencies of any kind are just that, emergencies. You never know when they'll strike, or what they'll be. When they come you do whatever is necessary to get through them. If one must sell off guns, tools, automobiles, etc... to get through an emergency, then that is what one must do.

However, one thing we do know is that emergencies will happen. Even if you can't prepare for the specifics, you should have 6-8 months worth of expenses set aside just for emergencies. Then when these things strike you can write the check and be 100% there for your friends and family who need you.

I've experienced emergencies completely broke and had to scramble together cash fast. While I was able to cover the costs, I wasn't there mentally and emotionally for the people who needed me. I was too worried about getting the money together. Eliminating or minimizing that burden with an emergency fund, has since enabled me to be there for friends and family in a time of crisis.

It also changes your definition of an emergency. When I was broke a flat tire was an emergency. With an emergency fund, ER visits and even simple surgeries don't rock the boat.

Just something to think about.

The MANY uses of an AK cleaning kit and rod

Кучка • Булка • Курва • Зараза
chknfkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:43 PM   #8
Beef Supreme
Banned

AKaholic #: 169662

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHVET View Post
Absolutely.

And to answer your question, I would sell almost everything.
I need to keep at least 1-2 firearms and ammo/mags to defend that which I am trying to save.

Let’s be realistic... if SHTF there will be more rifles and weapons to take off the dead, but you need to be armed at first to avoid being one of the dead.
Beef Supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:51 PM   #9
akinnepa
Tastes Like Bacon

AKaholic #: 41923

I went through a quasi peaceful divorce, I sold a good portion of my collection and had the rest earmarked for sale if things went South.

I didn't have to sell it off but if I did I would have kept a rifle and handgun and given my brother the family heirloom guns
“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race”

-Calvin Coolidge
akinnepa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:14 AM   #10
RobertFootball

AKaholic #: 193636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy_G View Post

A wife can whore around behind your back, lie and clean you out. A kid can turn into a little shit. An animal is loyal forever. Give me 2 dogs over a whore wife and a bratty ass kid any day.
RobertFootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:34 AM   #11
GuzziMike
DEPLORABLE

AKaholic #: 159432

My answer is yes. Fortunately I've not had to make this exact decision, but I have had to pay out about $10K for each of my two Shar-peis for major procedures.

The first time, it involved a situation where their intestines were invading their lung cavity due to a diaphragm not completely sealing. The effect was akin to them slowly drowning. We had to act.

They each had to be opened up, the intestines pulled out of the lung cavity, and stapled to their rib cage. Then the Diaphragm sphincter muscle had to be sown up so that the intestines would not migrate again.

This happened at the age of 6 months. Exactly two months apart. That was in mid 2013.

In late 2015 it happened again. Turns out that as they grew, the stitching and stapling came off and they had to be operated on again.

Would we do it again..? Absolutely.

Would I sell my guns to finance the procedure if I had to..? YUP.

-

PALMS 7.62-39: Though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I will fear no evil, for I wield a mighty AK, and I'm Reckoning to Go Medieval on thy Marxist Demons

Last edited by GuzziMike; 05-22-2018 at 12:41 AM.
GuzziMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:36 AM   #12
TheGreek!
ALPHA MALE

AKaholic #: 157160

Hard times call for hard measures. If you have to sell your stuff to get out of a bind then so be it but once you're out of your bind try to reacquire the stuff you had to sell. Nothing is permanent, you can always buy more guns again after you're out of the hardship that made you sell them.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:40 AM   #13
CjStatic
Banned

AKaholic #: 196171

No. Not for anyone !
CjStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:44 AM   #14
Renov8
Pax Americana-Invicta

AKaholic #: 122038

Its a tough call. We recently had a stray we brought home from the pound and the vet told us it was going to cost us close to 1k to keep the dog under observation for several days and nights...my wife decided it best to tak ethe dog home and let her have her final days in comfort...damn dog lived for another 4 years. Glad I did not spend the money.

On the other hand, I tend to not get too emotional about my pets, regardless of how long they have been with the family...its a distinction I made as a kid and have kept with it until today.

No, I would not go to great lengths to save a pet...family and friends, in a heart beat.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable"
JFK

"As a society, we rediscover that the value of a right is not in what it hides, but in what it protects."
Renov8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:55 AM   #15
El Trollo Mejor
Chorizo Picante
Contributor

AKaholic #: 186187

Yep. I'd sell one of my bikes, tools, or a watch or something first. I'd stop at my first handgun and an AK though when it came to firearms.

Bikes especially can be replaced with a newer one. Firearms, less so, but they too can be replaced generally.

I can't replace family.

None of the above is legal advice, ese. All posts are the mere opinion of El Trollo. Think of abuelita before doing anything that might make you a criminal.
El Trollo Mejor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:00 AM   #16
erne75
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 159106

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreek! View Post
Hard times call for hard measures. If you have to sell your stuff to get out of a bind then so be it but once you're out of your bind try to reacquire the stuff you had to sell. Nothing is permanent, you can always buy more guns again after you're out of the hardship that made you sell them.
Agree but OP went into deep philosophical thought because of a fucking cat.
You could probably get a replacement cat for free...
erne75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:21 AM   #17
TheBohunk
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174221

A guy does what he has too when he is in a spot.

However, the handful of guns that I have inherited from my Father and Grandfather......I think I'd rather die than sell those off.

In or around Iowa? Join the Iowa Region Avtomats
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/group.php?groupid=23
TheBohunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:27 AM   #18
bulldozer1
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 168284

Just buried my beloved Ridgeback a couple of weeks ago. Cancer. You do what you need to do for those you love. Sell some, maybe. The important thing is the animals quality of life. They should not suffer for our benefit. My big guy hated the vet visits, pills and the rest of the treatment. We suspended it for the last few quality months of his life.
You may have a bill that affects you or your family come along. That might be a better time for cash in.
They always leave a hole when they are gone.
'sic semper tyrannis'

Last edited by bulldozer1; 05-22-2018 at 05:39 AM.
bulldozer1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:59 AM   #19
silvermane_1
((the wagons))anti-troll brigade CO

AKaholic #: 170966

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreek! View Post
well that true in present there TheGreek!, but the way shit is going, it's not going to be that way in the near future unless the CW 2.0 actually comes to fruition to be frank about the subject.
the best advice i can give Jagick, is sell anything but firearms, because it's looking more like we will have use them in the near future.
"Sic semper nova orbis terrae ordinatio collectarius"-Me

i'm a anti-zionist: http://www.antizionism.org
---------------------------------
BAN SIG 2018

Last edited by silvermane_1; 05-22-2018 at 06:13 AM.
silvermane_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:08 AM   #20
SAIGA 5.45
King of the Apemen

AKaholic #: 174648

Yeah I’d sell everything but a pistol and a little ammo for my 4.

The next Miss America will be David Hogg- Owen Benjamin.
SAIGA 5.45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:58 AM   #21
IdahoMike
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 170136

I have always been taught to NEVER sell my tools because I need the money. Gun’s are tools let’s face it. I live within my means and won’t part with any of my tools just because I need money, I can find it some other way.
IdahoMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:59 AM   #22
bill3542
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 64

you have to remember they are still just pets even if there part of the family. had to have a couple of the daughters cats put down and yes it was a bad week everytime it happened.
i not saying don't spend the money on normal yearly checkups but if it thousands in vet bills... sometimes hard choices have to be made.

no i would not sell a weapon to extend a pets life no matter how much they meant to me.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:05 AM   #23
Bagherra

AKaholic #: 182343

Quote:
Originally Posted by erne75 View Post
Hate to say it...but I'm with you on this one....

It's a cat and it's not YOUR cat...

what if a couple of months down the line you find yourself in a similar situation...but this time it's blood relatives or your house...now you have nothing to sell to save yourself...

Cats are a dime a dozen...

just my .02
Bagherra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:14 AM   #24
Imprezah

AKaholic #: 182620

Quote:

Yup.
Imprezah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:18 AM   #25
silvermane_1
((the wagons))anti-troll brigade CO

AKaholic #: 170966

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoMike View Post
I have always been taught to NEVER sell my tools because I need the money. Gun’s are tools let’s face it. I live within my means and won’t part with any of my tools just because I need money, I can find it some other way.
^that's the "mindset" to have there IdahoMike.
"Sic semper nova orbis terrae ordinatio collectarius"-Me

i'm a anti-zionist: http://www.antizionism.org
---------------------------------
BAN SIG 2018
silvermane_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:19 AM   #26
Sweersa
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 157316

I wouldn’t sell any over a pet, and I like most cats and dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeManassas View Post
So, can I assume that WTF is not one of the Marketplace headings like WTS, WTB, or WTT?
Sweersa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:26 AM   #27
wormraper
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 192990

without hesitation .Pets are like family to me. LITERAL family. I have no problem dropping thousands on one if it saves them
wormraper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:36 AM   #28
csspecs
Spam bot
Vendor

AKaholic #: 157229

For family? Yeah.
For animals.. Nope. You know there are perfectly health dogs and cats getting euthanized every day. No reason to prolong the suffering of a sick one.

In my experience with dogs getting cancer, it is best left alone. I have never met anyone that had the treatments do anything good.. My brothers dog has had a lump for like six years, it is now more like a dozen or more and they are increasing rapidly, but the dog is still happy and wants to play.. My aunt and Uncle had a dog that was about the same age, had a similar thing but they had it removed, dog died inside of a year.. But old kattie the tumor infested stray shop dog is still chugging along.. Almost completely grey now, used to be a red/brown coat..

I like the dog well enough, it has been around for 10+ years now.. But I also know that no amount of money will fix the dog so I don't need to make any grand gestures to make myself feel better, the dog is dying, it may not be this year, but it is happening.

I did grow up on a small hobby farm-ish thing, and have turned many chickens and other living things into soup. Its not something I care for, but it does permanently change your feelings on the subject of life and death.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:58 AM   #29
Cypheros
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 171345

Quote:
Originally Posted by erne75 View Post
"It is better to go to the house of mourning
than to go to the house of feasting,
for this is the end of all mankind,
and the living will lay it to heart."

If the death of an animal helps OP to put things in perspective, I see that as a good thing. This event exposed (what the OP perceives to be) a weakness in the life that he has structured for himself. Honest introspection at this juncture will enable him to make wise choices, while the objective costs associated are relatively low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknfkr View Post
However, one thing we do know is that emergencies will happen. Even if you can't prepare for the specifics, you should have 6-8 months worth of expenses set aside just for emergencies.
QFT. IME, emergencies got a lot more rare when my emergency fund was fully funded. Still happened, just not as often.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:59 AM   #30
theserb

AKaholic #: 196308

Thinning the herd down to one? Yeah. If you have to, go down to one, use the money from the rest.

If you go all the way to zero, man that's the spot where bad luck comes to rear its ugly face. Don't ever get caught in that position, or you might end up having more than just financial issues. Evil doesn't give you a notice, it doesn't knock, it decides when it's your turn to get tested whether or not you're ready to get the lights turned off. Dress accordingly for the occasion.
theserb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:09 AM   #31
DeAtHsTaR_0069
Wannabe #69

AKaholic #: 178898

A) never all, we should have an obligation to security as men
B) priorities.. if all other priorities which had precedent have been met
C) personal.. we live in a society which allows individual freedoms.. such as suicide.. financial or literal
DeAtHsTaR_0069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:16 AM   #32
hoovdizzle

AKaholic #: 181475

Not for a cat.

Sell your body. Whorin’ can be good for the soul.

"Let the retards buy retarded rifles so at least they die faster if we go to war against retards" -Sabre5G
hoovdizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:50 AM   #33
AK-104
Stroke My Member

AKaholic #: 162667

I won't speak as to what set of circumstances would be a worthy cause. That is an individual decision that each of us has to make with regard to what is truly important versus what can be sacrificed. I will say that I see no reason to ever completely disarm myself because if I am to that point, the couple of hundred dollars from selling that last firearm isn't likely to be a world changing thing that makes it all better.

I can certainly understand thinning out a collection down to the necessities though. Part of the reason for most people having a collection is for investment, or as a means of putting cash into a form that is less likely to be spent, but can be turned back into cash quickly.

If a person finds themselves in a situation where they are in desperate need of cash quickly, it only makes sense to sell off items that you don't need. I am of the opinion that everyone needs a pistol to carry for general defense, and a long gun for hunting food, and defense from more significant threats particularly in their home.

With all of that out of the way, everyone should have an emergency savings fund set aside BEFORE they begin accumulating firearms beyond a single pistol and a single long gun. If the transmission went out in your car tomorrow, and you couldn't afford to have it replaced... You can't afford a gun collection. Sell all but one pistol and one long gun NOW before you are in an emergency. Having a bit of a cushion is far more important that bragging about your latest gun on the Internet.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:00 AM   #34
ol okie
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 171009

Quote:

Agree. I know this may sound harsh. But it's the fact.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:20 AM   #35
Billrube

AKaholic #: 193264

To each his own. But I won't sell a firearm over a pet. If I don't have the money for the vet, I need to re-assess my ability to own one.

I realize that for some people they are like family and if they want to liquidate nice firearms to pay a vet bill, more power to you.
Billrube is online now   Reply With Quote