Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Optics

Notices

Old 01-13-2018, 02:08 PM   #1
11B04

AKaholic #: 174403
Default Gen 2 pst, so disappointing

Went to zero my 25x50 gen 2 yesterday mounted to my 6.5 creedmoor remmington 709 5R. 1st thing I noticed was that the zero stop was set all the way up, no biggie, Iíll adjust it. Looked through the barrel and adjusted reticle, Iím on paper. Load rifle, adjust parallax to see my target at 100M. WTF, itís 100M, I can barely view my target. Readjust my ocular lens to view reticle, in target again, still not even close acceptable clarity. Whatever, begin firing. Okay, 1 mil high, .5 mil left. Adjust reticle and send round. Iím now 1 mil left and 2 MILís high. Okay, rinse and repeat. Iím now 2 MILís low and and .2 right. Rifle is brand new so Iím thinking maybe itís my barrel settling in (knowing such a huge shift is not my barrel) so I play around finally getting the poi/poa close, I set zero stop and tighten turrets to zero. Shoot again and Iím off the paper completely. This is the second vortex scope Iíve had with issues. My plans and solutions: send scope back for warranty. When I get it back sell it and disclose the issue. Never buy another vortex scope again. This has ruined a hunting trip for me. Itís obvious to me that vortex canít match QC to demand. Iím sticking with nightforce. Iíve read of other people having issues as well. Usually cases arenít as bad as they seem. Because Iíve had multiple issues now, it is as bad as it seems to me. Hope this helps someone or anyone who is about to spend their money. If I even remotely think of buying another scope in this price range itíll be a bushnell. Those scopes never seem to do anything but work and well.
11B04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:42 PM   #2
Renov8
Pax Americana-Invicta

AKaholic #: 122038

Maybe its your eyes and shooting ability?

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable"
JFK

"As a society, we rediscover that the value of a right is not in what it hides, but in what it protects."
Renov8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #3
11B04

Maybe? Do you have any advice? My only experience is graduating sniper school, competing in matches like WPW, stuff like that. Again, any advice? My intent was to put out 1st hand experience with the product so other people could get feedback and make educated purchasing decisions. But I could just suck like you educatedly stated.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #4
Renov8
Pax Americana-Invicta

AKaholic #: 122038

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11B04 View Post
Maybe? Do you have any advice? My only experience is graduating sniper school, competing in matches like WPW, stuff like that. Again, any advice? My intent was to put out 1st hand experience with the product so other people could get feedback and make educated purchasing decisions. But I could just suck like you educatedly stated.
Thin skinned, aren't we?

Sniper School? Hard to believe. Maybe you should have used some of those skills you learned in sniper school to determine the nature of the failure.

I have no idea how old you are, but if you are older, your eyes will not necessarily work within the ocular range provided on the scope. I have found that to be true on rifle scopes and binoculars.

When I break in a rifle, I generally use a scope that I know holds zero. All of my Vortex scopes hold zero, even the oldest ones. Maybe you got a bad one. Send it back and have it fixed. Maybe tell them this is the second time and see what they do for you, instead of bitching about it on a thread. Its guys like you who vendors despise. You go online and whine about a problem, rather than talking to the vendor, like most reasonable people do, and get it fixed. Shit happens!

Is this educatedly enough?

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable"
JFK

"As a society, we rediscover that the value of a right is not in what it hides, but in what it protects."
Renov8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:02 PM   #5
paulo

AKaholic #: 509

Glad I chose NF. I like Nikon Monarch for mid level scopes.
Thanks for the review.
paulo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:28 PM   #6
11B04

Nikon makes nice mid level stuff also, agreed. I’m sure if you looked at the number of scopes sold compared to issues it’s low. But ya, I’m done with vortex.
Hope any of you reading this got something useful from it. The trolls are entertaining and I thank them for the free laughs.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:53 PM   #7
Jacko

AKaholic #: 194628
Location: South Jersey, Please do not confuse me with the leftist Democrat assholes in this state!

Quote:
I had a similar response from a member this week like this one. It seems like there are a few walnut-sized-brained-Neanderthals here. Most guys here a Very friendly, knowledgeable and very helpful. I'm sure you'll get a real answer from an adult. 😎
Old 01-13-2018, 05:54 PM   #8
11B04

You gotta be kidding me with all the attack’s on me in this post, LMAO!

Really?
Old 01-13-2018, 06:04 PM   #9
Jacko

AKaholic #: 194628
Location: South Jersey, Please do not confuse me with the leftist Democrat assholes in this state!

Nope....truth. it seems like just a few. I'm new here and I'm glad I found this site. I've learned a lot from good people. Good luck!
Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM   #10
nofreetime
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 180281

Quote:
You gotta be kidding me with all the attack’s on me in this post, LMAO!

Really?
You fired only 3-4 groups with a completely new setup and a new rifle that you have no previous experience with and aren't certain that the rifle even shoots well and that's enough for you to determine that the scope is junk, that it's not some other part on the rifle, the ammo, or the rifle itself. So therefore despite Vortex being far and away the most used optic manufacture in PRS anything and everything with a Vortex label on it is junk because you feel that you should be able to buy completely new setup at the last minute prior to a hunt and that if anything goes wrong it's because Vortex sucks. You didn't mention checking anyting that an experienced person would such as the torque values of the base, the mount, the action screws, the turrets, the brake, or try different ammo yet when challenged you fall back on "sniper school" which by all appearances seems to be you claiming stolen valour. All that to defend your position that Vortex won't track and is junk even though a simple search for "Vortex tracking test" on youtube revals not just that Vortex scopes track quite well but also that they have an excellent reputation for quality, value, and customer service.

That pretty much sum it up?

Last edited by nofreetime; Yesterday at 09:12 AM.
nofreetime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:58 AM   #11
JoeCorrado
Noob

AKaholic #: 193119

I own several Vortex optics and haven't had any issues with one. 2 of the PST line. I ordered a Gen2 PST 2-10x32 FFP for my SCAR 17 about 2 weeks ago. I guess we'll see how it holds up. My only complaint really is how heavy the Gen 2's are compared to the first generation.