Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Optics

Notices

Old 01-13-2018, 02:08 PM   #1
11B04

AKaholic #: 174403
Default Gen 2 pst, so disappointing

Went to zero my 25x50 gen 2 yesterday mounted to my 6.5 creedmoor remmington 709 5R. 1st thing I noticed was that the zero stop was set all the way up, no biggie, Iíll adjust it. Looked through the barrel and adjusted reticle, Iím on paper. Load rifle, adjust parallax to see my target at 100M. WTF, itís 100M, I can barely view my target. Readjust my ocular lens to view reticle, in target again, still not even close acceptable clarity. Whatever, begin firing. Okay, 1 mil high, .5 mil left. Adjust reticle and send round. Iím now 1 mil left and 2 MILís high. Okay, rinse and repeat. Iím now 2 MILís low and and .2 right. Rifle is brand new so Iím thinking maybe itís my barrel settling in (knowing such a huge shift is not my barrel) so I play around finally getting the poi/poa close, I set zero stop and tighten turrets to zero. Shoot again and Iím off the paper completely. This is the second vortex scope Iíve had with issues. My plans and solutions: send scope back for warranty. When I get it back sell it and disclose the issue. Never buy another vortex scope again. This has ruined a hunting trip for me. Itís obvious to me that vortex canít match QC to demand. Iím sticking with nightforce. Iíve read of other people having issues as well. Usually cases arenít as bad as they seem. Because Iíve had multiple issues now, it is as bad as it seems to me. Hope this helps someone or anyone who is about to spend their money. If I even remotely think of buying another scope in this price range itíll be a bushnell. Those scopes never seem to do anything but work and well.
11B04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:42 PM   #2
Renov8
Pax Americana-Invicta

AKaholic #: 122038

Maybe its your eyes and shooting ability?

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable"
JFK

"As a society, we rediscover that the value of a right is not in what it hides, but in what it protects."
Renov8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #3
11B04

Maybe? Do you have any advice? My only experience is graduating sniper school, competing in matches like WPW, stuff like that. Again, any advice? My intent was to put out 1st hand experience with the product so other people could get feedback and make educated purchasing decisions. But I could just suck like you educatedly stated.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #4
Renov8
Pax Americana-Invicta

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11B04 View Post
Maybe? Do you have any advice? My only experience is graduating sniper school, competing in matches like WPW, stuff like that. Again, any advice? My intent was to put out 1st hand experience with the product so other people could get feedback and make educated purchasing decisions. But I could just suck like you educatedly stated.
Thin skinned, aren't we?

Sniper School? Hard to believe. Maybe you should have used some of those skills you learned in sniper school to determine the nature of the failure.

I have no idea how old you are, but if you are older, your eyes will not necessarily work within the ocular range provided on the scope. I have found that to be true on rifle scopes and binoculars.

When I break in a rifle, I generally use a scope that I know holds zero. All of my Vortex scopes hold zero, even the oldest ones. Maybe you got a bad one. Send it back and have it fixed. Maybe tell them this is the second time and see what they do for you, instead of bitching about it on a thread. Its guys like you who vendors despise. You go online and whine about a problem, rather than talking to the vendor, like most reasonable people do, and get it fixed. Shit happens!

Is this educatedly enough?

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable"
JFK

"As a society, we rediscover that the value of a right is not in what it hides, but in what it protects."
Old 01-13-2018, 04:02 PM   #5
paulo

AKaholic #: 509

Glad I chose NF. I like Nikon Monarch for mid level scopes.
Thanks for the review.
paulo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:28 PM   #6
11B04

Nikon makes nice mid level stuff also, agreed. I’m sure if you looked at the number of scopes sold compared to issues it’s low. But ya, I’m done with vortex.
Hope any of you reading this got something useful from it. The trolls are entertaining and I thank them for the free laughs.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:53 PM   #7
Jacko

AKaholic #: 194628
Location: Close to the Mason Dixon line, East of the Mississippi River.

Quote:
I had a similar response from a member this week like this one. It seems like there are a few walnut-sized-brained-Neanderthals here. Most guys here a Very friendly, knowledgeable and very helpful. I'm sure you'll get a real answer from an adult. 😎
Old 01-13-2018, 05:54 PM   #8
11B04

You gotta be kidding me with all the attack’s on me in this post, LMAO!

Really?
Old 01-13-2018, 06:04 PM   #9
Jacko

AKaholic #: 194628
Location: Close to the Mason Dixon line, East of the Mississippi River.

Nope....truth. it seems like just a few. I'm new here and I'm glad I found this site. I've learned a lot from good people. Good luck!
Old 01-17-2018, 09:05 AM   #10
nofreetime
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 180281

Quote:
You gotta be kidding me with all the attack’s on me in this post, LMAO!

Really?
You fired only 3-4 groups with a completely new setup and a new rifle that you have no previous experience with and aren't certain that the rifle even shoots well and that's enough for you to determine that the scope is junk, that it's not some other part on the rifle, the ammo, or the rifle itself. So therefore despite Vortex being far and away the most used optic manufacture in PRS anything and everything with a Vortex label on it is junk because you feel that you should be able to buy completely new setup at the last minute prior to a hunt and that if anything goes wrong it's because Vortex sucks. You didn't mention checking anyting that an experienced person would such as the torque values of the base, the mount, the action screws, the turrets, the brake, or try different ammo yet when challenged you fall back on "sniper school" which by all appearances seems to be you claiming stolen valour. All that to defend your position that Vortex won't track and is junk even though a simple search for "Vortex tracking test" on youtube revals not just that Vortex scopes track quite well but also that they have an excellent reputation for quality, value, and customer service.

That pretty much sum it up?

Last edited by nofreetime; 01-17-2018 at 09:12 AM.
nofreetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:58 AM   #11
JoeCorrado
FNG

AKaholic #: 193119

I own several Vortex optics and haven't had any issues with one. 2 of the PST line. I ordered a Gen2 PST 2-10x32 FFP for my SCAR 17 about 2 weeks ago. I guess we'll see how it holds up. My only complaint really is how heavy the Gen 2's are compared to the first generation.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:06 PM   #12
USMCLAV

AKaholic #: 193606

I have several Vortex optics and haven't had any issues with any of them.
USMCLAV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:31 PM   #13
nofreetime
Veteran Member

Well from what I understand the PST gen 2's share the same as turrets as the far more expensive AMG's that are well respected and are so popular it's hard to find them in stock anywhere so I'm not sure I would call the turrets crap.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:19 PM   #14
Brasky
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 187139

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofreetime View Post
You fired only 3-4 groups with a completely new setup and a new rifle that you have no previous experience with and aren't certain that the rifle even shoots well and that's enough for you to determine that the scope is junk, that it's not some other part on the rifle, the ammo, or the rifle itself. So therefore despite Vortex being far and away the most used optic manufacture in PRS anything and everything with a Vortex label on it is junk because you feel that you should be able to buy completely new setup at the last minute prior to a hunt and that if anything goes wrong it's because Vortex sucks. You didn't mention checking anyting that an experienced person would such as the torque values of the base, the mount, the action screws, the turrets, the brake, or try different ammo yet when challenged you fall back on "sniper school" which by all appearances seems to be you claiming stolen valour. All that to defend your position that Vortex won't track and is junk even though a simple search for "Vortex tracking test" on youtube revals not just that Vortex scopes track quite well but also that they have an excellent reputation for quality, value, and customer service.

That pretty much sum it up?
What this guy said ^
Brasky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:28 PM   #15
paulbow

AKaholic #: 194329

My Gen 1 PST has treated me well. Tracks better than anything else I have and is by far the clearest. Will buy again.
paulbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:02 PM   #16
nofreetime
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbow View Post
My Gen 1 PST has treated me well. Tracks better than anything else I have and is by far the clearest. Will buy again.
I'm sure it has treated you well it's a good scope.

Guys in this thread and elsewhere talk a big talk about how you NEED Nightforce or some other highend brand and that's bull. Here's the thing I didn't need to spend that kind of money I did it because I wanted to not because I needed to. Nor am I too good to run a PST they're good scopes pretty nice really I'm sure they're fully capable of serving anyone's needs just fine and if you have a problem Vortex will make it right the OP is just trolling here.

Last edited by nofreetime; 01-25-2018 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:16 PM   #17
Renov8
Pax Americana-Invicta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
I had a similar response from a member this week like this one. It seems like there are a few walnut-sized-brained-Neanderthals here. Most guys here a Very friendly, knowledgeable and very helpful. I'm sure you'll get a real answer from an adult. ��
You must be one of those Democrats from South Jersey...you certainly act that way.

Regarding the Vortex optics and my initial comments...sometimes bullshit is just what it is...bullshit.

There were so many other variables that a trained sniper would have checked. Going online to rant about it would not have been one of them. I called it as I saw it.

...Vortex is getting a little more of my money on a Gen2 Pst and a Razor.

JFK

Old 01-24-2018, 09:56 PM   #18
oakhandledsks
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 7249

Interesting, I have been looking into a mil mil pst for my .308. Do you mind if I ask the exact model?

Vortex did become popular very quickly which could have led to some qc issues.

I love my 4-16x44 but when I am trying to hit clays at 550 yards I think I need a bit more magnification.
oakhandledsks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:21 PM   #19
nofreetime
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renov8 View Post
You must be one of those Democrats from South Jersey...you certainly act that way.

Regarding the Vortex optics and my initial comments...sometimes bullshit is just what it is...bullshit.

There were so many other variables that a trained sniper would have checked. Going online to rant about it would not have been one of them. I called it as I saw it.

Well you called right trained sniper my ass. Dude he said he only fired 3-4 groups with a brand new rifle. You can't get any kind of fine zero after 3-4 groups with a new gun. All kinds of shits going on with a new gun the barrels breaking in and still coming into it's accuracy and it can do all kinds of weird shit while it's breaking in, the action is wearing it's self a groove to sit it in in the aluminum bedding block, the scopes internals maybe loose and even have to settle under recoil a bit this happens to highend scopes too and it resolves itself, and that point the guy has no freaking clue what ammo the rifle likes anyway so how the hell can you blame the scope.

When stuff like this to me happens I don't even pay attention to it until the barrel brake in shot/clean process is done and if it's still happening at the 30 round mark or so then I start checking torque values most of the time it's the brake that's come loose and retighten it and it never bothers me again. A real sniper would have been able to diagnose the issue on his own but would never be pointing any fingers after 3-4 groups on a new barrel. Most likely the new rifle experiencing recoil for the first time just made something come loose and if he's smart he'll take the gun completely appart torque everything down to the proper torque values then lock tight everything and he'll be fine.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:37 PM   #20
Oldsalt

AKaholic #: 194552

Grain of salt thread.
Oldsalt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:02 AM   #21
Renov8
Pax Americana-Invicta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsalt View Post
Grain of salt thread.
In the grand scheme of things, everything is a grain of salt...but some grains of salt are more important than others...lol

JFK

Old 01-25-2018, 12:13 AM   #22
Renov8
Pax Americana-Invicta

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakhandledsks View Post
Interesting, I have been looking into a mil mil pst for my .308. Do you mind if I ask the exact model?

Vortex did become popular very quickly which could have led to some qc issues.

I love my 4-16x44 but when I am trying to hit clays at 550 yards I think I need a bit more magnification.
I have a PST 4x16x50 on my Savage 308 and shoot it out to 1025 yds with this scope. Its has EBR-1 mrad reticle with matching turrets.

Rarely do I shoot my rifle above a 10x magnification even out to 1000 yds. Its really not needed unless you are spotting for someone else. I am not comfortable watching that reticle bounce all over the place at higher magnification. I sometimes shoot at 12-14x but only because I want to get a better look at the round hitting the steel plate.

At closer distances I tend to reduce the magnification. 100-200 yds I ususally shoot at 6-8x. 400 plus is 8-10.

Just my opinion and my own experience.

Shooting clays at 550 yds is quite an accomplishment...that is a sub moa shot for the most part. I would buy some 5 inch steel plates and paint them orange...

JFK

Old 01-25-2018, 10:39 AM   #23
LPRoad

AKaholic #: 184584

Yeah, you don't want to criticize anything on this forum.
LPRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:03 AM   #24
JoeCorrado
FNG

AKaholic #: 193119

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPRoad View Post
Yeah, you don't want to criticize anything on this forum.
You can criticize Century. That's allowed here and for good reason. Vortex stands behind their product though so I don't understand how someone can hate on a product unless they just want to troll and get people fired up. I can't wait for my Viper PST Gen 2 to come in. I expect it to be the same, albeit heavier, than my previous purchases from Vortex.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:43 AM   #25
LPRoad

AKaholic #: 184584

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCorrado View Post
You can criticize Century. That's allowed here and for good reason.
Haha, I'd forgotten that Century and IO are fair game. However I've noticed if you have a complaint about, say, an Arsenal product, the flame war is swift and personal. I have several Vortex optics with zero issues, and I'm considering one of the new Strike Eagle 3-18x44 if the reviews are good. Maybe the OP is a troll, maybe he's gotten 2 bad scopes and is tired of it.
LPRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:15 PM   #26
oakhandledsks
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 7249

Quote:
I have a PST 4x16x50 on my Savage 308 and shoot it out to 1025 yds with this scope. Its has EBR-1 mrad reticle with matching turrets.

Rarely do I shoot my rifle above a 10x magnification even out to 1000 yds. Its really not needed unless you are spotting for someone else. I am not comfortable watching that reticle bounce all over the place at higher magnification. I sometimes shoot at 12-14x but only because I want to get a better look at the round hitting the steel plate.

At closer distances I tend to reduce the magnification. 100-200 yds I ususally shoot at 6-8x. 400 plus is 8-10.

Just my opinion and my own experience.

Shooting clays at 550 yds is quite an accomplishment...that is a sub moa shot for the most part. I would buy some 5 inch steel plates and paint them orange...

Mine is SFP so I have everything zeroed for max magnification. Maybe I will try a lower power FFP.

Also I said "trying" to hit clays at 550, at the moment I am getting decent pie plate sized groups and working on my loads / skills to bring them down. When I hike up to the 550 yard area I put a few clays up there that I usually end up taking out with my 5.56 spr. In about 20 or 30 shots......

There are guys at my range that can hit clays at 550 all day long, they are better shots than me and most are using 6.5 creedmore for those kinds of shots.

Personally after I get good with my .308 I plan to move up to a .300 win mag so I have little interest in training on a 6.5.
oakhandledsks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:16 PM   #27
nofreetime
Veteran Member

Badass.

Someone has an ND and shoots this guys scope and Vortex warranties it.

I don't think this thread went the way the OP intended.

Last edited by nofreetime; 01-26-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:53 PM   #28
wade2big

AKaholic #: 188836

I don't understand what the OP said that is so offensive to you guys. He never said how many rounds he fired. Yes you can zero a rifle in just a few shots with a mil or Mia based reticle. Shoot one. Measure the difference and dial the correction then shoot another shot. If you hit the center then you are zeroed. It isn't even necessary to shoot a group if you don't want. The rifle is ready to take out to distance. I have done this with several new rifles and scopes. Your initial zero should not shift around much if any at all. There are many Vortex customers that are more than satisfied with their purchase. There are many that have had problems. Why is Vortex's warranty so raved about? It is because it has to be used much more often than some of the other brands of scopes. My buddy has a gen 1 1-4 pst that is fantastic for the money. I ordered one and returned it for a refund back to optics planet because I could not get the reticle into focus. My father has the same scope in FFP that the op has and it is a great scope. It isn't nightforce good but it isn't too far away. The quality control from Vortex is sub par but they do have the best service warranty in the business which is a good thing because you will probably have to use it at some point.

I do agree that there are many things that can cause the OP's issues. The scope is one of them.
wade2big is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:12 PM   #29
Renov8
Pax Americana-Invicta

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakhandledsks View Post
Mine is SFP so I have everything zeroed for max magnification. Maybe I will try a lower power FFP.

Also I said "trying" to hit clays at 550, at the moment I am getting decent pie plate sized groups and working on my loads / skills to bring them down. When I hike up to the 550 yard area I put a few clays up there that I usually end up taking out with my 5.56 spr. In about 20 or 30 shots......

There are guys at my range that can hit clays at 550 all day long, they are better shots than me and most are using 6.5 creedmore for those kinds of shots.

Personally after I get good with my .308 I plan to move up to a .300 win mag so I have little interest in training on a 6.5.

Clays at 550 yds is aggressive in my opinion. At least give yourselt the benefit of hitting MOA sized targets at each 100 yds in distance. Once you achieve that, then move down to the more challenging targets.

I shot a guys rifle here at 700 yds, 6.5 creedmor, with little recoil and it was a tack driver. I went for the head shot and it hit exactly where I was aiming...he also paid 5g for the rifle and another 2500 for the scope, 450 for the bipod and so forth...with that much money behind a rifle, I think I would rather learn how to shoot real well and stick to the 308.

My buddy shoots the 300WM...he is also a big dude. At the end of the day he looks happy to be done.

JFK

Old 01-26-2018, 04:13 PM   #30
Renov8
Pax Americana-Invicta

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade2big View Post
I don't understand what the OP said that is so offensive to you guys. He never said how many rounds he fired. Yes you can zero a rifle in just a few shots with a mil or Mia based reticle. Shoot one. Measure the difference and dial the correction then shoot another shot. If you hit the center then you are zeroed. It isn't even necessary to shoot a group if you don't want. The rifle is ready to take out to distance. I have done this with several new rifles and scopes. Your initial zero should not shift around much if any at all. There are many Vortex customers that are more than satisfied with their purchase. There are many that have had problems. Why is Vortex's warranty so raved about? It is because it has to be used much more often than some of the other brands of scopes. My buddy has a gen 1 1-4 pst that is fantastic for the money. I ordered one and returned it for a refund back to optics planet because I could not get the reticle into focus. My father has the same scope in FFP that the op has and it is a great scope. It isn't nightforce good but it isn't too far away. The quality control from Vortex is sub par but they do have the best service warranty in the business which is a good thing because you will probably have to use it at some point.

I do agree that there are many things that can cause the OP's issues. The scope is one of them.
Reread the OP's opening post and tell me what stands out. If nothing does, then I am not going to explain it again. Read some of my other posts and it will become apparent what I was objecting too.

JFK

Old 01-26-2018, 07:16 PM   #31
wade2big

Quote:
Reread the OP's opening post and tell me what stands out. If nothing does, then I am not going to explain it again. Read some of my other posts and it will become apparent what I was objecting too.
I understand. He doesn't sound like he knows what he is talking about and I am pretty sure he doesn't. Then he claims to be a sniper or at least have attended "sniper school". Lie about that then I guess you will lie about anything. Hard for the OP to gain back any credibility at this point.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:37 PM   #32
rbox1064
Rammer Jammer
Contributor

AKaholic #: 173428

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade2big View Post

Tell ya what. Google "Top 10 Best Rifle Scopes of 2017" and read till you finally figure out that you're seeing the name "Vortex" mixed in among scopes costing 2-10x as much. Not from just one source and not from sources which don't "know WTF" they are talking about. Then after you've observed that, go to the largest retailers selling said name brands and then search out the Vortex brands and see what people who have actually bought them say about them.

More than likely, it ain't the scope in OP. And a company who offers a warranty which has to be used excessively doesn't stay in business very long. Especially when they sell their products at a very competitive price.
rbox1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:52 PM   #33
wade2big

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbox1064 View Post
Tell ya what. Google "Top 10 Best Rifle Scopes of 2017" and read till you finally figure out that you're seeing the name "Vortex" mixed in among scopes costing 2-10x as much. Not from just one source and not from sources which don't "know WTF" they are talking about. Then after you've observed that, go to the largest retailers selling said name brands and then search out the Vortex brands and see what people who have actually bought them say about them.

More than likely, it ain't the scope in OP. And a company who offers a warranty which has to be used excessively doesn't stay in business very long. Especially when they sell their products at a very competitive price.
I'm sure it isn't the Op's scope. We agree. I am very familiar with Vortex scopes and binoculars. The gen 2 5-25x50 ffp is in The running for my next scope if I dont decide to spend more and move up another level from there. The gen 2 pst cost right at what I paid for my Nightforce shv 4-14x50F1. I would say that the nightforce is probably a better built scope but it doesn't have as many bells and whistles that the gen2 pst has. I am not impressed with the gen 1 pst's at all and had first hand problems with one and my shooting buddy as well. Vortex will make it right quickly but a scope giving fits when you want to shoot ruins the day. I still believe that they have more problems than some other manufacturers.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:53 AM   #34
wade2big

I did just pick up a 2nd hand gen 2 razor 3-18x50. We will see how it holds up. I do think that the razor series should be a great scope. Now I will be able to get first hand experience with it and not internet folklore.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:19 AM   #35
adam6955
Contributor

AKaholic #: 175102

Quote:

Perfectly said!!

OP is clearly a Cali dipshit that cannot tell his ass from a hole in the ground. Assholes like him are the reason this state has a bad rep...probably a Bernie voter!!

And who the fuck puts together a new, untested setup right before a big hunt? Given the time of year it must be out of state. What a maroon!!! (intentional misspelling )

"If we fail to prepare, we prepare to fail."

"They who can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
adam6955 is offline   Reply With Quote