Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 03-17-2019, 07:05 PM   #491
Known

AKaholic #: 198112

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotastomm View Post
Heres a few quick pics of my kusa vitz after receiving it back from warranty work for cracked too cover. The warranty sheet states they replaced the top cover and recoil spring.

The new top cover fitment is definitely worse than the one it shipped with originally. The bolt carrier is/was hitting the cover now and has put a few small you yes on the charging handle. And on the left side, the way the cover is hitting the trunnion, its displaced a small bit of metal and theres now a lip that my fingernail catches on. And since the too cover now sticks out so far in the left side, the stock doesnt really want to latch like it did before. I now have to slam it in pretty hard.

Overall, im slightly disappointed in the lack of qc and not noticing these issues, but at the end if the day I should be able to remedy these by bending the cover in on the left side and sanding down the cover where its making contact with the carrier and trunnion.

I understand wanting to get it right and not wanting to send it off again to KUSA, but you shouldn't have to take a dremel to it to get it running unimpeded.

I'd see if they can send a new/improved top cover along with whatever other parts that they fixed in their production since these were originally reported. Sorry you are having to deal with this dude!

I'm still waiting on mine, so I'm sure I'll encounter the same stuff. Just part of being on the "bleeding edge" of AK technology. Haha.
Known is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:34 PM   #492
mishaco
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 190226

DDNC, I was near my KR9 about an hour ago while putting another gun back in the safe.
So i popped the topcover...now keep in mind, i can't 'look' at the area but i did go around it with both my finger tip and finger nail, both inside and outside, and I felt nothing. No crack and no bur.
Also felt the bolt and recoil buffer thingy, and no crazy wear/tear was immediately apparent.

I tried pulling up on the bolt handle both with and without the topcover down, and i couldn't pop it up/off the rails.

We fired about half a dozen types of ammo out of it, but i do believe all but 1 was 115g (other was 124g).

And that's all I know to this point.
Gun hasn't hickupped and no mag issues with either loading or feeding so far.

Will issues arrise down the road? Well only one way to find out.
And since people seem to like to shoot the thing, i don't think it'll be difficult to find volunteers to put more rounds through ours haha.
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:55 PM   #493
Udo51

AKaholic #: 193807

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknfkr View Post
Idk if this is enough to turn me off to them. Still seems like the best route to a vityaz. We crucified them for what, 4 years for hyping up vaporware, now that they're out there are bound to be issues. At least they didn't release them 4 years ago as I'm sure there would have been more issues. See PSA AKV....

Its still on my short list.
I still want one of them, especially since its Vityaz clone unlike the other 9mm AKs, since yet another case popped up on it, I am just going to wait for a bit till this issue gets worked out...
And I guess I misunderstood about it jumping the rails, which is good! As for the trigger, I just worry about the wear not matching with the gun and causing problems with the warranty, which Im sure is overthinking it but I guess thats just how I am.

For me, Im still going to wait with high hopes
Udo51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:12 PM   #494
Jcoop
Mogadishu on The Mississippi

AKaholic #: 188459

I think I'll wait for the teething issues to pass. Now where was that Zenith Mp5 RS I was looking at... Hmmmm
Jcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:17 PM   #495
mishaco
Curio & Relic

Ummm errr...no company is going to look for wear patterns that don't match up with the FCG parts.
Honestly, no company cares that much.
Its not as if the cost of a warranty repair is coming out of the pocket of the gunsmith/tech doing the work. If anything, he might be hourly and your firearm is letting him earn a few more dollars.

KUSA seems sincere in trying to deliver good CS. On top of that, they've admitted there is an issue with the topcover and have said it has been corrected in newer models.
Is this true? Hell if I know, I am not sleeping with anyone over there, so just repeating what's been said.
But I give anyone the benefit of the doubt until/unless they proove unworthy of trust. Most manufacturers are quite frankly pretty honest. Those that aren't quickly gain a negative reputation and in 2019, that's a bad bad thing with the internet.
It was easier to be a shitty company and/or have a shitty product in 1989 that's for sure.

TL,DR; the KP/KR9 seems to be reliable and well built. The mags sold for it seem good too.
It has had 1 or 2 relatively minor cosmetic issues.
It is also not inexpensive.

Up to the buyer as to which factors are most important.

Me personally, I'm an old hand at AKs and have had so many minor issues over the years that I've lost count. I don't mind a bit of u-fix-em work but that's just me. I enjoy working with my hands and those firearms I do have to work on I just chalk up to being learning experiences.
Your milage may vary though.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:32 PM   #496
Udo51

AKaholic #: 193807

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaco View Post
Ummm errr...no company is going to look for wear patterns that don't match up with the FCG parts.
Honestly, no company cares that much.

KUSA seems sincere in trying to deliver good CS. On top of that, they've admitted there is an issue with the topcover and have said it has been corrected in newer models.
Is this true? Hell if I know, I am not sleeping with anyone over there, so just repeating what's been said.
But I give anyone the benefit of the doubt until/unless they proove unworthy of trust. Most manufacturers are quite frankly pretty honest. Those that aren't quickly gain a negative reputation and in 2019, that's a bad bad thing with the internet.
It was easier to be a shitty company and/or have a shitty product in 1989 that's for sure.

TL,DR; the KP/KR9 seems to be reliable and well built. The mags sold for it seem good too.
It has had 1 or 2 relatively minor cosmetic issues.
It is also not inexpensive.

Up to the buyer as to which factors are most important.

Me personally, I'm an old hand at AKs and have had so many minor issues over the years that I've lost count. I don't mind a bit of u-fix-em work but that's just me. I enjoy working with my hands and those firearms I do have to work on I just chalk up to being learning experiences.
Your milage may vary though.
There is a lot I'm learning here, which is nice so thank you!

Im a bit hesitant with modding/fixing guns lately as I only have some Veprs and I really dont want to mess those up so I lack the experience in that department!

I am glad that outside of that issue they seem to be running like a champ, which is promising!
Udo51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:13 PM   #497
R3CKL3SS

AKaholic #: 173193

Here’s a pic of mine from today.
 photo 678B256E-A986-4AC2-8F53-17D0C3C87286_zpst1fdp4k3.png
R3CKL3SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:22 PM   #498
ddnc
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174853

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3CKL3SS View Post
Hereís a pic of mine from today.
 photo 678B256E-A986-4AC2-8F53-17D0C3C87286_zpst1fdp4k3.png
Any shots of the inside?
ddnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:40 PM   #499
cooltreasures

AKaholic #: 178481

I’m with Misha. A cracked top cover is a minor, mostly cosmetic issue. The receiver, trunnion, bolt and all other essential parts all look and function great on mine. If the top cover is the only issue and KUSA fixes it then I’m golden. I’d also be lying if I said I didn’t expect any teething issues so this is part of being an early adopter
cooltreasures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:19 PM   #500
monkeydo
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 195631

Has the been any KR-9’s with the same issue? Could it be an over gas issue with the KP-9 9mm that doesn’t affect the KR-9 because of the longer barrel?
"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops."
- Noah Webster
monkeydo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:27 PM   #501
Known

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydo View Post
Has the been any KR-9ís with the same issue? Could it be an over gas issue with the KP-9 9mm that doesnít affect the KR-9 because of the longer barrel?
This is what I was thinking as well. Have any of the KR9's has this issue yet? I wasn't thinking about it from a gas standpoint though, more like they used different parts between the models. But your theory Seems much more plausible because all of the hardware was supposed to be exactly the same.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:41 PM   #502
ddnc
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174853

Quote:
Has the been any KR-9ís with the same issue? Could it be an over gas issue with the KP-9 9mm that doesnít affect the KR-9 because of the longer barrel?
Possibly but I donít think so. This dude has over 1500 rounds through a KP9 and hasnít reported a TC crack.
http://i63.tinypic.com/jz789d.jpg
ddnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:49 PM   #503
giantpune
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 188807

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltreasures View Post
A cracked top cover is a minor, mostly cosmetic issue.
Its probably not good for your optic that happens to be mounted on that top cover. Gun still works, but you may have trouble hitting what you're aiming for.
giantpune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:50 AM   #504
mishaco
Curio & Relic

Why? Its already a moving part as a top cover, so minor shifts will happen regardless. Also we're talking about a 9mm, not a 7.62 NATO target rifle.
Old Yesterday, 01:14 AM   #505
Erreertt

AKaholic #: 199367

Quote:
Why? Its already a moving part as a top cover, so minor shifts will happen regardless. Also we're talking about a 9mm, not a 7.62 NATO target rifle.
I think he means bolt slapping it or whateber is impacticting to crack it. Could be wrong
Erreertt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM   #506
giantpune
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 188807

Quote:
If they're having you mount your optic to a dust cover that moves around while it's closed, then they have other problems.

I was expecting that the dust cover was being held firmly in place at the front by the hinge and at the rear by the takedown spring. The dust covers are all cracking there at the second point that would secure them in place.
giantpune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM   #507
flakman

AKaholic #: 190767

well I preordered the Kr-9. I hope I get one with no problems.
flakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM   #508
Gewehr44
Classic Member

AKaholic #: 25360

I sent KUSA a DM on Instagram asking what exactly they are doing to fix the issue. e.g. a heavier recoil spring, an improved top cover, etc.. I highly doubt it's just a new and improved top cover.

I'm holding off on shooting mine more. It seems it has only been pistols so far.

I'll post their response. It will probably be vague and obtuse.

Last edited by Gewehr44; Yesterday at 09:23 AM.
Gewehr44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM   #509
barmonkey

AKaholic #: 179773

Maybe it needs a buffer? LOL
barmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM   #510
Gewehr44
Classic Member

Their response.....

https://i.imgur.com/UBzw1Ol.jpg

Last edited by Gewehr44; Yesterday at 10:10 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM   #511
monkeydo
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr44 View Post
Their response..... They avoided answering my question.

https://i.imgur.com/UBzw1Ol.jpg
There's no telling who they have running their Instagram page. If it's the same person that's running their FB page, they don't know a whole lot about anything. I would say they are just paying a PR company to manage their social media pages like FB and instagram.
"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops."
- Noah Webster
Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM   #512
Gewehr44
Classic Member

Quote:
There's no telling who they have running their Instagram page. If it's the same person that's running their FB page, they don't know a whole lot about anything. I would say they are just paying a PR company to manage their social media pages like FB and instagram.

Here is an updated response.

https://i.imgur.com/VCNsubz.png
Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM   #513
cooltreasures

AKaholic #: 178481

That makes sense. If that's truly the case it's an easy fix but it should have been caught before the pistols shipped out in my opinion. Still, I'm hopeful they'll make it right and it seems so far they are. I'm just hoping we don't all have ill-fitting dust covers like dakota.
cooltreasures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:03 AM   #514
R3CKL3SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnc View Post
Any shots of the inside?
I didnt take any pictures of the inside. But when i looked at it you can clearly see the big crack. The small one cant be seen from the inside.
Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM   #515
R3CKL3SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltreasures View Post
That makes sense. If that's truly the case it's an easy fix but it should have been caught before the pistols shipped out in my opinion. Still, I'm hopeful they'll make it right and it seems so far they are. I'm just hoping we don't all have ill-fitting dust covers like dakota.
Yeah i honestly dont care how long they take to fix my gun as long as i get it back fitting right. My dust cover is actually canted to left now that its cracked kind of like Dakota said his is after they fixed it.
Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM   #516
dakotastomm
07/02 FFL
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 182483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Known View Post
I understand wanting to get it right and not wanting to send it off again to KUSA, but you shouldn't have to take a dremel to it to get it running unimpeded.

I'd see if they can send a new/improved top cover along with whatever other parts that they fixed in their production since these were originally reported. Sorry you are having to deal with this dude!

I'm still waiting on mine, so I'm sure I'll encounter the same stuff. Just part of being on the "bleeding edge" of AK technology. Haha.
no, I whole heartedly agree. I have a feeling they'd want me to send it back again. which I'm not looking to do as total time its gone is about a week. if they sent one to me, I wouldn't have to wait so long and I could put it on myself in less than 15 minutes.

if they decide to reach out to me about it, ill let them know how I feel about it. In the meantime, I'm just gonna file a little bit here and there so the cover clears the carrier and doesn't damage the trunnion any more. I have another 2.5k of 9mm I'm gonna try and run thru the gun over the next week or two
Old Yesterday, 09:35 PM   #517
Known

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotastomm View Post
no, I whole heartedly agree. I have a feeling they'd want me to send it back again. which I'm not looking to do as total time its gone is about a week. if they sent one to me, I wouldn't have to wait so long and I could put it on myself in less than 15 minutes.

if they decide to reach out to me about it, ill let them know how I feel about it. In the meantime, I'm just gonna file a little bit here and there so the cover clears the carrier and doesn't damage the trunnion any more. I have another 2.5k of 9mm I'm gonna try and run thru the gun over the next week or two
Yeah, hopefully they'd just send out a new cover and let you keep the old as a spare. Excited to hear how those next 2.5k rounds go.
Old Today, 03:11 PM   #518
audiophil2
Vendor

AKaholic #: 193199

Got another shipment today.

Guns are trickling out. Mine sell before they get to my door. Just had another rifle allocated to me this morning. Sold instantly.

audiophil2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:21 PM   #519
monkeydo
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophil2 View Post

Guns are trickling out. Mine sell before they get to my door. Just had another rifle allocated to me this morning. Sold instantly.

Looking forward to getting mine!
- Noah Webster
Old Today, 04:09 PM   #520
Known

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophil2 View Post

Nice! Can't wait for it to get here. I'm eager to start testing it out.
Old Today, 04:34 PM   #521
mishaco
Curio & Relic

Kind of reminds me of the very early days of Arsenal and the SA M-7.
Then, those guns weren't exactly popping up in huge numbers.
Old Today, 04:38 PM   #522
monkeydo
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Kind of reminds me of the very early days of Arsenal and the SA M-7.
Then, those guns weren't exactly popping up in huge numbers.
An issue with keeping up with demand is a good issue to have I don't know how many they're producing a week, but I'm sure it's a decent amount.
- Noah Webster
Old Today, 04:54 PM   #523
islandfocus2
Guns & Coffee

AKaholic #: 159575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoop View Post
I think I'll wait for the teething issues to pass. Now where was that Zenith Mp5 RS I was looking at... Hmmmm
I'm still debating on the PTR 9KT....
islandfocus2 is online now   Reply With Quote