Apollo 6.0

Apollo 11380

Apollo V12

Apollo .308
Old 09-03-2016, 09:26 PM   #2
SawedOffYankeePrick
Bringer Of Fuck

AKaholic #: 180365

Currently in the market to put tacticrap on one rifle. Looking very closely at yours. The one concern I really have is your rail that mounts over your dust cover. How is this mounted? Does it replace the rear sight? How well will it hold zero after being flipped up repeatedly for cleaning, being bumped frequently, etc? Why should I buy your dust cover rail instead of a reputable low sitting quick disconnect side mount that has been proven to hold zero?
SawedOffYankeePrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:57 AM   #3
Chaos Inc
Vendor

AKaholic #: 186649

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawedOffYankeePrick View Post
Currently in the market to put tacticrap on one rifle. Looking very closely at yours. The one concern I really have is your rail that mounts over your dust cover. How is this mounted? Does it replace the rear sight? How well will it hold zero after being flipped up repeatedly for cleaning, being bumped frequently, etc? Why should I buy your dust cover rail instead of a reputable low sitting quick disconnect side mount that has been proven to hold zero?
All good questions, yes it holds zero under all of the above conditions, Rob Ski put these through a pretty decent run. As far as a side mount comparison, I think you'll find our rail more stable due to it's front to back positive location rather than just a side rail hanging out in mid air. Our rail mounts where the gas tube pin is so you keep your rear sights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcXFkgemKCc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXGeyoDMtXE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoIEG8lBdI4
Old 09-06-2016, 02:38 PM   #4
SawedOffYankeePrick
Bringer Of Fuck

All that and the only "permanent" mod is changing out the gas tube retention lever? Ok, I'm sold.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:56 PM   #5
irierider
((10)) Troll Brigade Commander

AKaholic #: 159069

I'd be all over that for the v12 if you didn't have that wide bottom lip thing, I ended up nodding a zenitco to fit.

Maybe a slim line where that bottom thing isn't there?
Old 09-06-2016, 04:05 PM   #6
Chaos Inc
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by irierider View Post
I'd be all over that for the v12 if you didn't have that wide bottom lip thing, I ended up nodding a zenitco to fit.

Maybe a slim line where that bottom thing isn't there?
I guarantee you change your mind if you held one, it's designed to fit the contour of the fold in your hand where your fingers bend! I have many different hand guards on my weapons, I love this design the best, by far!
Cam,
Old 09-09-2016, 12:35 PM   #7
jmano

AKaholic #: 164016

Quote:
I have a Chaos rail on my SLR-95, since these do not have side mounts.

I am thoroughly impressed with it. Mine holds zero like a champ and feels way more solid that the TWS Dogleg rail as I have owned both. You will not ever regret spending the money on a Chaos rail.

That being said and to address the second half of your question, my preference leans towards the RS Regulate side mounts if that's available, just because I like swapping optics quickly. But the investment for that is very high at $200 a pop for the side mounts.
jmano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:25 PM   #8
SawedOffYankeePrick
Bringer Of Fuck

Dust cover rail and Apollo keymod hand guard just arrived today. So far All I've done is fondle them, but both seem solid. But they are amazingly light, I was expecting more weight. So far the only thing throwing me off is the hex screw in the tang of the HG. Can't tell if it's supposed to act as a spacer, or if I need to drill a hole through my receiver to screw the two together. Hoping for the former rather than the latter.

Edit to update: Ok, installation definitely requires a hole to be drilled in the receiver. The tang fits in the receiver under the trunnion, the hex screw goes through the receiver and threads into the tang. Red Loctite on the threads probably isn't a bad Idea. Blue at the very least should be used. If you're not comfortable drilling your receiver, either have it installed by a competent gunsmith, or pass on this for something that won't require this modification.

Last edited by SawedOffYankeePrick; 09-10-2016 at 05:47 AM.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:57 PM   #9
Chaos Inc
Vendor

Quote:
Dust cover rail and Apollo keymod hand guard just arrived today. So far All I've done is fondle them, but both seem solid. But they are amazingly light, I was expecting more weight. So far the only thing throwing me off is the hex screw in the tang of the HG. Can't tell if it's supposed to act as a spacer, or if I need to drill a hole through my receiver to screw the two together. Hoping for the former rather than the latter.

Edit to update: Ok, installation definitely requires a hole to be drilled in the receiver. The tang fits in the receiver under the trunnion, the hex screw goes through the receiver and threads into the tang. Red Loctite on the threads probably isn't a bad Idea. Blue at the very least should be used. If you're not comfortable drilling your receiver, either have it installed by a competent gunsmith, or pass on this for something that won't require this modification.
The hole is optional, there for Saiga 7.62 because they have no lower hand guard retaining bracket (for short rails) but doesn't hurt to add the hole if you want extra holding for the Apollo 11380 but not necessary but you will want to tighten the barrel jack screws on the bottom of the rail.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:03 PM   #10
timmy2112

AKaholic #: 186177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Inc View Post
I guarantee you change your mind if you held one, it's designed to fit the contour of the fold in your hand where your fingers bend! I have many different hand guards on my weapons, I love this design the best, by far!
Cam,
In your opinion, how does this product handle heat transfer....Mag dumps??
timmy2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 03:14 PM   #11
SawedOffYankeePrick
Bringer Of Fuck

Quote:
The hole is optional, there for Saiga 7.62 because they have no lower hand guard retaining bracket (for short rails) but doesn't hurt to add the hole if you want extra holding for the Apollo 11380 but not necessary but you will want to tighten the barrel jack screws on the bottom of the rail.
I got the long rail, so it's not playing well with the handguard retainer. After I remove the HG retainer I'll try mounting without drilling for the allen screws, usin the barrel jack screws as you suggested. If that holds well I'll be happier, as the drill hole would be cutting close to the S/N.

Last edited by Chaos Inc; 09-10-2016 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:30 PM   #12
Chaos Inc
Vendor

I understand, I think you find the jack screw will do the job, but as you pointed out worse case you can add the hole for the rear key mount.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:11 AM   #13
SawedOffYankeePrick
Bringer Of Fuck

Ok, had to drill the hole for the key, hole cleared my S/N. Just ruineda the DDI emblem. No biggie. The only barrel jack screw is up front on my rail (AK Apollo 11380 model) so that left the rear tang floppin' around. After drilling for the hex screw (about ¼" drill bit) it's now rock solid, and much more comfortable in the hand than it looks.

After installation of the keymod handguard I moved on to the dust cover rail. Removal of the gas tube latch was easy. Came out with about 10 minutes of drilling (trying to take my time, no sense in rushing. ⅜" drill bit) and one good whack with a pin punch. Didn't even put a nick in the rsb. I began fitting the dust cover rail and discovered it was dragging too hard on the gas tube to close. So I have to remove the top of the keymod rail and strip it down to get to file the gas tube, but I put the screws in too tight. Have snapped 3 allen wrenches trying to get them out and twisted another. No success yet, so I'm writing this up while I wait on Kroil to give me a hand. Word to the wise, do not tighten these screws hard, just snug them down with blue loctite. I have suggested to Chaos in a PM to maybe change the screw size, as allen wrenches of this size are pretty easy to break. It's my own fault, so I won't knock them for it.

Order processed quickly, shipped the same business day, and made it to me in a few days. Nothing bad to say, just be prepared to do a little smithing to install this particular rail.

UPDATE:
All finished! This thing is nice as hell. And very light! Now that I have it all together, I can say this thing is rock solid. It doesn't budge even a little no matter how hard I smack it with a rubber mallet. It's comfortable in bare hands, even more so with mechanix gloves on (my Hogue hand guard spoiled me by being cushy). I do plan on adding a forward grip, this hand guard gives plenty of room to put it wherever you want. A con is you lose your cleaning rod. A pro for fellow AK74 owners is you can still mount your bayonets if you care to. Normal AKM guys... nope. Sorry. The picatinny rail accross the top handguard has a valley cut through it that allows you to use your irons on any setting, even 100 meters. The railed dust cover does not have this valley, but you can still use your irons, on 100 meters setting you get just enough clearance to see the notch of your rear sight. Mounted to the dust cover rail currently sits a vortex sparc 2, range report on all this to come, and pictures soon.

Last edited by SawedOffYankeePrick; 09-11-2016 at 01:50 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:52 AM   #14
Chaos Inc
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy2112 View Post
In your opinion, how does this product handle heat transfer....Mag dumps??
Handles heat very well, you won't have any problems there!
Old 10-12-2016, 03:45 AM   #15
ninjamateo
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 170268

Do any of your products fit yugo variants?
ninjamateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:44 AM   #16
Chaos Inc
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamateo View Post
Do any of your products fit yugo variants?
Not to date, but our new Apollo series would be close, we haven't tried to fit one yet.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:16 PM   #17
Rev06
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 185972

Clicked on the Chaos ad by accident here earlier today. I am glad I did. Those rails look spectacular. I look forward to them coming back in stock.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:55 PM   #18
MattK512

AKaholic #: 178705

Great looking rails!

My Brother's new VEPR FM-AK74-11 uses RPK handguards - has a real retainer, not a bolt on.

My understanding is the VEPR12's use RPK handguards.

So, would a FM-AK74-11 be able to use the Chaos Apollo for the VEPR12?
MattK512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:13 PM   #19
Chaos Inc
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattK512 View Post
Great looking rails!

My Brother's new VEPR FM-AK74-11 uses RPK handguards - has a real retainer, not a bolt on.

Thanks, It should work but you'll need to open up the front bracket since the barrel is thicker on a Vepr than a standard AK, you may also have too fit the rear key as well, not sure what the opening width is compared to an AK.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:00 PM   #20
Hill_Phuck

AKaholic #: 190750

I just picked up a Chaos Apollo S308 keymod fore end but it didn't come with install instructions and I can't find them online. I emailed Chaos but have yet to hear back from them, maybe they're busy at SHOT Show. If anyone has installed this and can give me a quick run down it would be greatly appreciated. It seems simple enough I just dont want to fuck it up as it was pretty spendy. Thanks.
Hill_Phuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:35 PM   #21
Chaos Inc
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill_Phuck View Post
I just picked up a Chaos Apollo S308 keymod fore end but it didn't come with install instructions and I can't find them online. I emailed Chaos but have yet to hear back from them, maybe they're busy at SHOT Show. If anyone has installed this and can give me a quick run down it would be greatly appreciated. It seems simple enough I just dont want to fuck it up as it was pretty spendy. Thanks.
I can help you. It is really simple, you need to cut off the sling bracket on your lower front hand guard retainer. With the front bracket hardware removed from rail take the lower rail and slide the rear key into the receiver then place the front split bracket hardware back onto the lower rail, mount the top rail and tighten up the two jack screws on the bottom of the lower rail against the barrel, done! the screws that mount the top to the bottom taper lock so don't get to aggressive with them. If you run in to any issues call me direct @812 250 4919 ext. 2 or ask for Cam, thanks for your business.
Cam,
Old 01-18-2017, 04:49 PM   #22
Hill_Phuck

AKaholic #: 190750

Quote:
I can help you. It is really simple, you need to cut off the sling bracket on your lower front hand guard retainer. With the front bracket hardware removed from rail take the lower rail and slide the rear key into the receiver then place the front split bracket hardware back onto the lower rail, mount the top rail and tighten up the two jack screws on the bottom of the lower rail against the barrel, done! the screws that mount the top to the bottom taper lock so don't get to aggressive with them. If you run in to any issues call me direct @812 250 4919 ext. 2 or ask for Cam, thanks for your business.
Cam,
Awesome thanks for the quick reply!
Hill_Phuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:33 PM   #23
strider98

AKaholic #: 190980

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattK512 View Post
Great looking rails!

Thanks for the help lil bro
strider98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:17 AM   #24
clayman4774

AKaholic #: 191256

I just ordered my Apollo M-Lok handguard. I can't wait to get it.
clayman4774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:54 AM   #25
clayman4774

AKaholic #: 191256

I received my handguard in the mail today. I am impressed with the how light it is. I am looking forward to installation
clayman4774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:34 AM   #26
genxgixxer
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 179329

Vepr 7.62x39 please...long and short!

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.
If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."
-- John Steinbeck

Don't blame me I voted for the true conservative.
Sent from 52 area
genxgixxer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:22 PM   #27
Chaos Inc
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxgixxer View Post
Vepr 7.62x39 please...long and short!
We will have something very shortly for vepr rifles.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:48 PM   #28
sellersm

AKaholic #: 165847

Quote:
We will have something very shortly for vepr rifles.
Will that include Vepr in 54r?
sellersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:04 PM   #29
Chaos Inc
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellersm View Post
Will that include Vepr in 54r?

Yes!!
Old 02-23-2017, 08:12 PM   #30
sellersm