Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Ammunition

Notices

Old 08-10-2017, 01:51 AM   #1
Meataxe556
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 160303
Default Best .22 Win Mag round for Coyotes?

Having a "pest control" issue with numbers of 'yotes on my property (one small dog eaten so far). Because of the neighborhood, I'm limiting myself to .22 magnum out of a CZ455 B/A rifle.

Just wondering what the best .22 WMR round would be to put these 'yotes and coy dogs down humanely (with one shot, if possible).

Thanks!

Last edited by Meataxe556; 08-10-2017 at 02:00 AM.
Meataxe556 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:00 PM   #2
res45

AKaholic #: 21803

I would go with a 40 gr. JHP or SP bullet,I think it would be better suited than some of the light offerings that tend to fragment rapidly. Around here there is no 22 Mag. to speak of unless you want to pay two prices for it. Makes me glad I bought a brick of the Fiocchi 40 gr. SP years ago when I bought my rifle. It will shoot dime size 5 shot groups at 75 yds. in my Savage rifle. SGAmmo carries the HP version.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:22 PM   #3
Meataxe556
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by res45 View Post
I would go with a 40 gr. JHP or SP bullet,I think it would be better suited than some of the light offerings that tend to fragment rapidly. Around here there is no 22 Mag. to speak of unless you want to pay two prices for it. Makes me glad I bought a brick of the Fiocchi 40 gr. SP years ago when I bought my rifle. It will shoot dime size 5 shot groups at 75 yds. in my Savage rifle. SGAmmo carries the HP version.
Thanks for the info!

Any particular brand(s) of SP or JHP .22 WMR that work best?
Old 08-10-2017, 10:49 PM   #4
Ram Rod
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 182786

Where are you in Arkansas? I do offer pest elimination services to close friends. Fees are based on travel distance and overnight stays.
If I had to use 22WMR for dog eating coyotes...........I'd probably use something else. I've never found a really good niche for the 22WMR, but I carry one on occasion for fishing or that last moment when life hangs in the balance. IMO.....22mag is overrated.
But then again if I had no other choice, I'd probably go with something like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook76 View Post
...Humans, for the most part, are fucking stupid.
Ram Rod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:26 AM   #5
Meataxe556
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
Where are you in Arkansas? I do offer pest elimination services to close friends. Fees are based on travel distance and overnight stays.
If I had to use 22WMR for dog eating coyotes...........I'd probably use something else. I've never found a really good niche for the 22WMR, but I carry one on occasion for fishing or that last moment when life hangs in the balance. IMO.....22mag is overrated.
But then again if I had no other choice, I'd probably go with something like this

The guy I use to trap varmints says live traps are not very successful on 'yotes and since I have neighbors / pets nearby, snares and poisons are out of the question.

2 or 3 of them came out in my back yard during broad daylight a couple of days ago. I managed to hit the biggest, mangiest looking one with the CZ using a CCI 40gr. TMJ (which is all I have right now). I put a good hit on the thorax from 100 yards+, knocked it down and spun it around and it ran off into the brush to die. I'm a bit concerned that they might be diseased / rabid, although it's not all that unusual to see them out in the day. This one didn't act right, though. They're usually a lot more wary and this one came up within 50 yards of the house at one point and seemed pretty unconcerned seeing me or our larger dogs.

Anyway, would like to make kills as quick and humane as possible, regardless. Maximum range would be @ 150 - 200 yards. So, I'm guessing the heavier bullets would be better, even though they drop like a rock beyond 100 yards.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:27 AM   #6
86250rrippin
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 165448

Do you have a .223 rifle ? I like the 50 grain fiocchi extrema round that has the v-max tip in it. Brutal on groundhogs and very accurate out of my CZ 527 American. Im sure it will kill a yote without issue....
Old 08-11-2017, 12:39 PM   #7
kyron4

AKaholic #: 179216

Winchester 40 gr. JHP puts them down quick with shot placement. Avoid the 30 gr. " ballistic tip" fodder, you need good penetration. This is from real world experiences on eastern yotes.
kyron4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:52 PM   #8
FowlHunter

AKaholic #: 193653

Hornady makes the Critical Defense round for .22 Magnum with a 45 grain bullet. I have taken out several on my property while they were harassing my chickens. If you do your part on shot placement, they will drop in their tracks. They have worked wonders for me.
FowlHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:25 PM   #9
hagar

AKaholic #: 786

Winchester SP or HP by far, they are one of the few 22 magnum rounds that use a true jacketed bullet, the others are mostly copper plated. I tested them against coyotes in the AZ urban areas, not the best round but sometimes you don't have a choice. With the Marlin 22 mag semi auto I could pump 2 or 3 into them, and that killed them pretty well.
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:37 PM   #10
ohlongarm

AKaholic #: 193447

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meataxe556 View Post
Having a "pest control" issue with numbers of 'yotes on my property (one small dog eaten so far). Because of the neighborhood, I'm limiting myself to .22 magnum out of a CZ455 B/A rifle.

Just wondering what the best .22 WMR round would be to put these 'yotes and coy dogs down humanely (with one shot, if possible).

Thanks!
One who has killed about 2000 coyotes advises this,Winchester 40 gr hp,will drop them out to about 125 yards if you can shoot. Good optics are crucial,you might still get one who spins and runs ,but they usually only go less than a hundred yards. A coyotes heart sits low against the brisket up front,but a good through and through lung shot will kill them.They are tough,I never felt the need in Ohio to use anything other than a 22 Hornet with a 12x variable,and 97% drop in their tracks. I've killed a crapload with 22 's in the squirrel woods. If i posted pictures here this forum would be amazed.
ohlongarm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:51 PM   #11
euroking99

AKaholic #: 15327

So would it be safe to say an m44 is overkill for these pests?
euroking99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:59 PM   #12
86250rrippin
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 165448

Quote:
Originally Posted by euroking99 View Post
Uhh, dead is dead ......but maybe a little
Old 08-13-2017, 12:04 AM   #13
kawasakifreak77

AKaholic #: 176621

Quote:
Originally Posted by euroking99 View Post
Only if you're using B32..

Best common 22mag stuff I've used was the 40gr winchester also.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:32 AM   #14
Meataxe556
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlongarm View Post
One who has killed about 2000 coyotes advises this,Winchester 40 gr hp,will drop them out to about 125 yards if you can shoot. Good optics are crucial,you might still get one who spins and runs ,but they usually only go less than a hundred yards. A coyotes heart sits low against the brisket up front,but a good through and through lung shot will kill them.They are tough,I never felt the need in Ohio to use anything other than a 22 Hornet with a 12x variable,and 97% drop in their tracks. I've killed a crapload with 22 's in the squirrel woods. If i posted pictures here this forum would be amazed.

Thanks for the pointers!

Yesterday, I was ranging my back yard with the focus ring on the scope, when sure enough, another large 'yote sauntered out into the open (in broad daylight) and I nailed him at @ 120 yards. I definitely hit it, as it reacted physically to the shot and ran off into the brush. This was a different coyote, because it wasn't as mangy as the first one. I'm sure I killed the first 'yote, though, because I can smell it putrifying in the brush, but I'm not about to go in after it!

The CCI 40 grain TMJ does seem to be lethal enough, though, if not "dead right there."

Last edited by Meataxe556; 08-13-2017 at 03:44 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:39 AM   #15
ohlongarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meataxe556 View Post
Thanks for the pointers!

Yesterday, I was ranging my back yard with the focus ring on the scope, when sure enough, another large 'yote sauntered out into the open (in broad daylight) and I nailed him at @ 120 yards. I definitely hit it, as it reacted physically to the shot and ran off into the brush. This was a different coyote, because it wasn't as mangy as the first one. I'm sure I killed the first 'yote, though, because I can smell it putrifying in the brush, but I'm not about to go in after it!

The CCI 40 grain TMJ does seem to be lethal enough, though, if not "dead right there."
Go online and get a few pictures of a coyotes anatomy,and study it. Then get an anatomically correct target and practice.With coyotes it's about proper bullet placement.Make sure your rifle is sighted in,I like lots of scope for precise head and neck shots when presented.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:03 PM   #16
PRegner
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 186235

I have coyote issues where I live. My rifle of choice for dispatching them is my CZ-455FS in .22WMR. I've found that both the Hornady V-Max and CCI A22 Game Point will barrel-roll a coyote every time. I've yet to have to shoot one twice.

"Islam in a man is more dangerous than rabies in a dog" ~Winston Churchill~
PRegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:39 PM   #17
ohlongarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRegner View Post
I have coyote issues where I live. My rifle of choice for dispatching them is my CZ-455FS in .22WMR. I've found that both the Hornady V-Max and CCI A22 Game Point will barrel-roll a coyote every time. I've yet to have to shoot one twice.
Agreed the v-max Hornady well a great round ,in 30 grain is a little light for Eastern brush wolves,that reside in Ohio. western coyotes are noticably smaller. In Arizona my brother and I killed 20 some at night over bait at 50 to 75 yards all with a .22Winchester Powerpoint 40 gr hp,all were DRT.The kills were done in a 10 day span in November 2016.Road kill Javelinas were the bait.We had a few spin but collapse within 50 yards,most were shot through the heart,head.Eastern brush wolves typically run about 35 to 55lbs,they have crossed with canadian timber wolves that migrate across the ice when Lake Erie freezes over. genetic testing has proven my statement. Source Ohio ODNR.The western coyotes in AZ were in the 20 to 25 lb range.