Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old 08-13-2018, 02:44 PM   #351
stashua
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 172442

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhogan427 View Post
I dont like the shrouds with the holes.also how long is a 16" barrel front the nut to muzzle?
On my shroud (I think it's a usbarrelshrouds product) the length from the rear of the nut to the end is 9 9/16" with a 3/16" recessed barrel. From the front of the barrel nut that is part of the shroud it's 8 9/16" with the same recessed barrel so that's 9 3/8" and 8 3/8" respectively give or take a little. The barrel nut part is 1" long and the end bushing is roughly 1" long. There's about .015" clearance between the end bushing and barrel.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:24 PM   #352
timhogan427
I am the one who knocks!

AKaholic #: 178465

so its safe to say ill need a 10" tube. i found some 1008 steel tubing on amazon. 4' for $17. i think its 1.25" outside diameter and .083" thick. sounds perfect for what i need. weld a tube to the nut, make a centered end bushing for the end. make sure it huge the end of the muzzle somewhat snug, but not too tight. i can definitely do this and make it look good. i can even knurl it up for some grip. oh yea :-)

last question. you dont have to drill the lower lug out to 9mm for that larger retaining sleeve pin do you?

Last edited by timhogan427; 08-13-2018 at 04:46 PM.
timhogan427 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:50 PM   #353
Makman90

AKaholic #: 191896

*i wouldnt do that man!

Has to be made from a solid stock

Long and short of it is..the distance or gap between barrel and shroud can not be the diameter or half of the bullet..otherwise your manufacturing a suppresor. Fake or not..if something insulated could be wadded up in it..its labeled as a sound suppressing device. Not trying to ruin your day..but the fun nazis say NO!

*why i went the pistol route.

And yes you can weld stainless to steel using er70s.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:09 PM   #354
timhogan427
I am the one who knocks!

grrrrrr your right.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:23 PM   #355
timhogan427
I am the one who knocks!

ok its gonna be a 10" pistol with a kak brace. gonna modify a utg buffer tube mount into a plate to accept the kak tube and brace. it will bolt on just like an uzi stock using that screw and funny nut.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:48 PM   #356
bushman
BENEVOLENTI MODERATORIS

AKaholic #: 3819

http://shop-usbarrelshrouds-com.3dca...e-1_p_266.html

I have been looking at this an trying to figure out the best folding brace to put on it.

Geez. -TYFOON-
bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:00 PM   #357
raverill

AKaholic #: 170134

How are you guys removing the pistol grip lug and forward hanguard lug off the torch cut receiver?
raverill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:08 PM   #358
chillypepper
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 176015

On the gripframe thingy I cut the sheet metal off with a cutting wheel around the sides. Then ran it though the mill to clear out the center groove. Can all be done easily with cutoff wheels.

front handguard retainer I cheated like dc holliday, I cut a hunk of I think it was 3/8" keystock long enough to drill the hole for the rear screw. I cut a notch to support the tab on the front of the gripframe. A couple plug welds and the handgaurd hides my nasty deed.

Also my repair section wasn't stamped for the gripframe tab so this seemed easiest.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:04 PM   #359
raverill

AKaholic #: 170134

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillypepper View Post
On the gripframe thingy I cut the sheet metal off with a cutting wheel around the sides. Then ran it though the mill to clear out the center groove. Can all be done easily with cutoff wheels.

front handguard retainer I cheated like dc holliday, I cut a hunk of I think it was 3/8" keystock long enough to drill the hole for the rear screw. I cut a notch to support the tab on the front of the gripframe. A couple plug welds and the handgaurd hides my nasty deed.

Also my repair section wasn't stamped for the gripframe tab so this seemed easiest.
Thanks for the info!
raverill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:57 AM   #360
timhogan427
I am the one who knocks!

i used a 1/2" belt sander from inside the stub. it worked fine. the lug can be simply seeled off the stub. those belt sanders are the shit either air or electric. use ceramic belts though. 1/2"x18". i bought mine off amazon for $30 made by wen. hf sells them too. i use the shit out of it on everything i build. good for finishing welds too. i also buy surface conditioning belts to smooth out the metal and give it a polish to remove the heavy marks.

do i have to drill the grip lug out to 9mm? is that an old requirement or does it still have to be done? i already welded a washer inside to prevent the fa selector position.
Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM   #361
chillypepper
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 176015

The retaining pin hole? Then no, not needed
Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM   #362
timhogan427
I am the one who knocks!

Where does all this shit come from? Are these old rules? Or was it bs to begin with?
Old Yesterday, 04:47 PM   #363
blfuller

AKaholic #: 2498

I think this looks pretty sharp. Stormwerkz be makin' some SIG MPX/MCX stock adapters. Should be up on the website in a couple of days when he gets them back from anodizing.

blfuller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM   #364
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2036

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhogan427 View Post
Where does all this shit come from? Are these old rules? Or was it bs to begin with?
Action Arms wanted to import UZIs back in the day and the conversion ATF approved to semi was rather involved to preclude easy conversion back to FA. To that end you had the smaller sear openings in the receiver, the different lower retention pin sizes, the restrictor ring, etc. That may or may not have all been on ATF, IMI may have gone "above and beyond" to ensure approval on the first submission. Most folks, including manufacturers, look to the IMI standard when making their own as it was definitely approved in that configuration.

Over the years folks with registered bolt FA conversions of original IMI semis (slotted FA bolt that fits in a semi-spec receiver) have pestered ATF about converting their semi spec host receiver to closer match FA specs. Over the years ATF has approved pretty much everything except removing the blocking bar. So as it stands today, under current regs and ATF policy, all you have to do to stay legal with a semi conversion is have a receiver with a blocking bar in it, a closed bolt system, and the FA function blocked out of the FCG/Lower. Everything else IMI changed for the semi conversion is optional.
KernelKrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM   #365
timhogan427
I am the one who knocks!

Perfect. That's a great answer. Thanks!