Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old 06-18-2017, 02:01 PM   #1
W210838
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 158639
Default 6.5 creedmoor in the AK platform?

I'm just curious if anyone has done this yet and what the results were? I like the 6.5 bullets a lot and was thinking of making one for myself one day! Just wanted to see if anyone else's had done it and if they liked it?
Old 06-18-2017, 02:24 PM   #2
1biggun
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 6541

No Creedmore but a 260 rem and a 243 win. Also
Did a few barrels for 308 Saiga in 260 for guys.
Still have a finished 243 barrel around here for a amd 65 trunion some were

I down loaded for all of them on AKM parts and even the yugo m70 type trunnions.

A 6.5 creedmoor would be no differant build wise.

If your going to do it you need the accuracy to take advantage of the main feature of the 6.5 it's long range. Other wise a 308 is just as good aside from recoil

Last edited by 1biggun; 06-18-2017 at 04:00 PM.
1biggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:19 PM   #3
AnarchistUnion

AKaholic #: 192610

PSL platform. Wonder if you could make something like that work.
AnarchistUnion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:58 PM   #4
1biggun
Curio & Relic

The PSL bolt face is to big .
Think 308 and 8mm variants donor parts .

The AKM size stuff can be used as well . I have done a few different higher pressure conversions on both yugo trunnions and AKM stuff.

A Galil 308 bolt is a good start if you can find one .

I think all these type of conversions were pressure and case head size is bigger on the edge of things . I have always advocated down loading them a bit . I also ran a rougher chamber wall finish to ease bolt thrust a bit .

Easiest way to get a 6.5 Creedmore AK is just buy a 308 Siga or Vepr and change the barrel. Its likely the safest as well .

As I recall the Creedmoor and the 260 are both about 61,000 PSI and have the same bolt thrust.

the Creedmore is coming on strong and if I was doing my builds today id likely have chosen it over the 260 . It wasn't a option years ago . In any thing but a precision rifle the 260 and 6.5 c wont have much of a difference in real use . the 6.5 of course fits in 308 mags better with high BC bullets few actually need unless there really shooting over 800 yards .

Frankly I think a 243 win is a better choice in a AK type build at ranges that most will actually shoot it at . All depends on what you want and use it for .

Most guys buy a Creedmore thinking they need a 1000 yard rifle and then only shoot it 400 yards at 500 yards the high BC bullets are not a big deal yet .

If you use a drop out type mag and use the 1/4" were the AK mag latch and spring goes you can use that space for the trigger guard and not loose finger clearances like the 308 Gail has when they just moved the mag well back .

W201838 would love to see what you come up with. basically just move the center support back, notch the hammer and move the ejector tip back and make a mag fit of some type . Easy for a guy like you .

I have been looking at the Childers Yugo shells for a 308 mag length build but there out of stock it seems . that way you can just weld a rail in with the ejector were you need it and palace the center support back as well with out having to fix a hole like with a 100% receiver
Old 06-18-2017, 04:59 PM   #5
W210838
Veteran Member

Well what I'm thinking of doing is a m76 receiver but make a mag adapter for it using 308 pmags. Set it up so I don't have to remove material like the canis one or make something that can usem1a mags also?
Old 06-18-2017, 05:28 PM   #6
AnarchistUnion

AKaholic #: 192610

Another interesting thought. Use a m76 carrier and bolt with a PSl op rod and psl barrel components you can squeeze in a 27 inch barrel. Considering the m76 and psl use the same type receiver (m76 doesn't have reinforcing plates) you could get away with it. Wouldn't be too hard to do. Drill and tap the gas block so it's not overgassed. The nice thing about PSL receiver is if you go with a Cold steel blank there is no magwell to modify. All you would have to do is measure it out and cut. Don't have to worry about making a m76 or psl mag well work.
AnarchistUnion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:36 PM   #7
W210838
Veteran Member

I would use all m76 parts adjustablegas and thicker barrel.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:37 PM   #8
W210838
Veteran Member

Also m76 is milled doesn't need the plates.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:43 PM   #9
1biggun
Curio & Relic

When I did the 243 that took G3 mags I just removed maerial on the corners of the $1 mags and made a sheet metal mag well. I had to dedemple a flat to get it in there.
The rivets get in the way a bit on these as well if the mag is wide at the front.

FAL mags and m14 mags are candidates as well.
I even almost used a french MAS mag that has a clip on the mag. It actualy would work pretty well. I almost used the clip idea on a G3 as well.

Ar 10 mags are cheap now unlike then so if you can make them fit that would be great.

I have a 308 Pmag on hand I have never stuck it in a trunion . I'll have to look it over.

I haven't decided on a mag yet for my screw in barrel multicultural build yet. So if a p mag or other steel ar 10 mag is workable I'll go that route also since I now have 309 ARs.

The narrow in front mags work best to clear the lugs and rivets and mag demples.

Even if you notch the mag corners on a cheap P mag they would still work in a AR. Nothing hits the corners.

On the 358 win I had to use a G3 Mag due to the bigger bullet not feeding and pinching .
I added the feed ramp to the edge of the mags on the G3s
It let me tune things easier and got the ramp moved back for a better angle with less tip deformation.

The creedmoor is getting real popular so it's a good choice these days . I was considering one on my kids mauser action we bought but I'm sticking with a 25-06 for now .

If p mags can work then that would make a really nice build.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:01 PM   #10
1biggun
Curio & Relic

I got curious and stuck my 308 P mag in a RPK trunion.
You will need to very slightly notch the mag or move it back about 3/16"

If you notched the mag there would be very little or no room for rivits. There is a horizontal rib on the mag that stabalize it in a AR that would be about were the rivits goes.

Notching the mags might affect there use in a AR as on the unlike a G3 the mag guided the round inward.

My mags a gen M3 10 rounder. I have a steel one around here some were.

I would not grind any lug area away like on the 223 conversions .

I think if it was me I'd just dedicate 4 or 5 mags and trim the corners ever so slightly.

It's giving me something to think about.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:04 PM   #11
W210838
Veteran Member

That's why I will mostly take a chunk of aluminum and make a mag adapter for it.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:42 PM   #12
Lingwendil
The man that sold The World

AKaholic #: 177079

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnarchistUnion View Post
Another interesting thought. Use a m76 carrier and bolt with a PSl op rod and psl barrel components you can squeeze in a 27 inch barrel. Considering the m76 and psl use the same type receiver (m76 doesn't have reinforcing plates) you could get away with it. Wouldn't be too hard to do. Drill and tap the gas block so it's not overgassed. The nice thing about PSL receiver is if you go with a Cold steel blank there is no magwell to modify. All you would have to do is measure it out and cut. Don't have to worry about making a m76 or psl mag well work.
Why bother doing a mixmaster like that? Just use a 76 kit, tortort 76 blank, and 76 mags. There is no such thing as a true "stamped M76" (they were all milled) unless you build one on a custom receiver with RPK front/rear trunnions. Do it like you would any other M76 kit build, and use a milled receiver as intended. This gets you a nice solid rifle with thicker barrel components than a PSL based build would, and the adjustable gas system inherent to the 76. The 76 mags work very well with a variety of cartridges, and would most likely only require a custom bullet guide.

The idea of AR mags sounds like a worthwhile endeavor though.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:46 AM   #13
es
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 185924

If the .308 pmags are like the .223, they should have some little angled ribs at the top front that can be shaved off to fit an ak trunnion without modding. I have one I hacked up when I was tinkering with a sheet metal adapter for my 5.56 ak74 (ended up getting a decent deal on some beryl mags so I ditched the adapter). Since you've got the means to mill out a proper adapter that should be feasible
es is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:48 PM   #14
1biggun
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingwendil View Post
Why bother doing a mixmaster like that? Just use a 76 kit, tortort 76 blank, and 76 mags. There is no such thing as a true "stamped M76" (they were all milled) unless you build one on a custom receiver with RPK front/rear trunnions. Do it like you would any other M76 kit build, and use a milled receiver as intended. This gets you a nice solid rifle with thicker barrel components than a PSL based build would, and the adjustable gas system inherent to the 76. The 76 mags work very well with a variety of cartridges, and would most likely only require a custom bullet guide.

The idea of AR mags sounds like a worthwhile endeavor though.

What's the price on a M76 kit and Tortort 80%.
Sounds great.

The main thing that stops me from doing a custom on a milled reciver is I'd want over size rails I can fit and the cost if having to mod a milled reciver or 80%

If your going to run a rail that's some how touching the reciver or rear trunion on a long range AK milled would be better.

If your going stamoed reciver then think cantilever for long range. You can't mount the optic on a flexiblepart and expect great results..

Ill be liking what ever he builds I'm sure. This is the stuff I like seeing built from a pile of parts.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:48 PM   #15
Lingwendil
The man that sold The World

AKaholic #: 177079

A 76 kit without furniture runs about $300 from Apex, milled receiver blank $280, although Assault weapons of Ohio sell complete kits from about $600 on up depending on options and apparently their mood, best way to get a current price is to call them, or play the Gunbroker Roulette game. You still see decent prices kits on gunbroker from time to time if you don't mind watching til the last second.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:52 PM   #16
es
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 185924

There was a dude who had 76 kits (all matching w/furniture) for less than $350 shipped last year, and he might still have some. That's where I got mine (which ended up getting traded to Randy lol).
es is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:24 PM   #17
W210838
Veteran Member

when I get around to it I will most likely do all m76 stuff but a few mods that are different , like machining the m76 flash holder to 5/8/24 , making a scope rail that will work with good quality rails and not be stuck with the m76 mount ! A mag adapter to use pmags maybe even ditch the factory furniture and go all tacticool ! All ideas kicking around !
Old 06-21-2017, 01:19 AM   #18
Porsche914ls6
Angry White Trash

AKaholic #: 161826

Quote:
Originally Posted by W210838 View Post
when I get around to it I will most likely do all m76 stuff but a few mods that are different , like machining the m76 flash holder to 5/8/24 , making a scope rail that will work with good quality rails and not be stuck with the m76 mount ! A mag adapter to use pmags maybe even ditch the factory furniture and go all tacticool ! All ideas kicking around !
Do you know a good machinist that can do all this for you?

Just kidding Randy!
I took a dump this afternoon....and the turd, reached up with both hands..and began playing with my sak....it then said, "Let me make this perfectly clear." I flushed it...it was kinda creepy. It was saying something about... "fundamentaly changing..." something, before the turd gobbler swallowed it.
Porsche914ls6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:34 AM   #19
Bravofoxtrot10
Extra Cool Member

AKaholic #: 174843

I know of a good machinist I can recommend. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche914ls6 View Post
Do you know a good machinist that can do all this for you?

Just kidding Randy!
Old 06-21-2017, 08:59 AM   #20
mostholycerebys
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 165655

Just want to add that on Arfcom the 6.5CM crowd claim that the standard 308 firing pin hole is too large for 6.5CM, and a different bolt is recommended. So just switching barrel on a 308 might not work well.
'We have peace. And its rare. And its amazing that we have it. We shouldnt take it for granted. Because the normal order of things is destructive chaos. Things can get absolutely monstrous, and there's always a fraction of the population who thinks that's how they'd like things to be, and perhaps theres a fraction of you that's like that too. I wouldn't nurture that fragment unless you want to KNOW where it will take you.' - J. Peterson, clinical psychologist and professor
mostholycerebys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:09 AM   #21
Lane_H
KING of Dremeling Rails

AKaholic #: 182543

I am very interested in seeing a 6.5 Creedmoor ak build and accuracy range report!

However, I just don't believe the efforts will yield the results of an "accurate" 1,000 Yard semi-auto rifle.
I am not saying the 6.5 CM round won't travel 1k with terminal ballistics, but the platform just won't provide the desired laser beam potential of poa=poi

Perfect example is the contrasting performance of ak variant semi autos vs bolt guns in the same caliber chamberings, like 8mm or 7.62x54r.

Of course the 6.5 cm has a bc that exceeds the performance of those calibers but my point is if the gun pointing it down range is 3 to 4 moa at 100 yds, then...
well x10 is a pretty big circle of error.

But with all that said, I would love to be totally wrong and see an AK 6.5 CM build with the precision to put rounds on target at a grand!
Luke 22:36
Lane_H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:14 PM   #22
W210838
Veteran Member

I don't expect this to me a sub Moa gun but a lighter recoil longer range round is my main purpose !
Old 06-22-2017, 07:14 PM   #23
1biggun
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane_H View Post
I am very interested in seeing a 6.5 Creedmoor ak build and accuracy range report!

However, I just don't believe the efforts will yield the results of an "accurate" 1,000 Yard semi-auto rifle.
I am not saying the 6.5 CM round won't travel 1k with terminal ballistics, but the platform just won't provide the desired laser beam potential of poa=poi

Perfect example is the contrasting performance of ak variant semi autos vs bolt guns in the same caliber chamberings, like 8mm or 7.62x54r.

Of course the 6.5 cm has a bc that exceeds the performance of those calibers but my point is if the gun pointing it down range is 3 to 4 moa at 100 yds, then...
well x10 is a pretty big circle of error.

But with all that said, I would love to be totally wrong and see an AK 6.5 CM build with the precision to put rounds on target at a grand!

A AK on a stamped reciver can get into the 1/2" MOA range I have done it on several in 223 and 308x39 with custom builds and the 6mm BRX is getting there
I haven't built a super accurate 260, 308 or 243 yet but I have never used a high end barrel for one The 243 shot about 3/4" MOA. The 260 barrel I did for a Saiga for a guy shot right at 3/4" according to the guy I sent it to. He had no mods and ran a beryl type mount.

I'll link pics in a seperate thread if you want of my target type stuff but not here.
I honestly feel a AK in a all out build might have a few advantages on the AR 15 and can rival the 10.

Depending on his barrel and how the hand guards are the AK can run with the average AR 10 type rifles . But trigger work and a serious optic mount is going to be needed.

I'm working on a build but I don't want to get into it here snd mess up this thread.
Most guys don't shoot a 1000 yards even if they have a 6.5 creedmore . A 500 yards rifle is still a long range shot for most.

His idea of a light recoil carry rifle that's got serious power is a good one. The 243 I did was basicaly a amd 65 with a 18 "
And a optic mount it was a great little hunting rifle and pretty accurate. Basicaly just a AK with serious power.

I'm looking forward to what he comes up with.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:16 AM   #24
Lane_H
KING of Dremeling Rails

Yes sir!
Like I said I am also very interested in seeing what Randy comes up with and hope for the best.

And 1biggun, I have read some of your threads and posts about your various caliber builds and accuracy and find it very interesting and I do believe with time, effort and experience one (like you) can achieve sub moa in ak rifles and having a semi auto gun be able to put round in the black at 1000 consistently would be awesome.
& even as you say many shooting 6.5 cm in any rifle never shoot beyond 500yds and for this in a AK platform rifle I think the 200-800 yard high bc and soft recoil of 6.5 grendel is more than sufficient and easier to accomplish overall and cheaper from build & cheaper for range use.

I know it's comparing apples to oranges, intermediate cartridge vs high power
Old 06-23-2017, 05:17 PM   #25
1biggun
Curio & Relic

I don't know Randy at all never saw his work before hanging out here but I can say what I have seen leaves me with little doubt if he wanted to build a accurate AK he can.

I agree a 260 or 6.5 creedmore is a nice rifle to shoot from a bench or for hunting or any other use.

I didn't shoot my 260 much before I sold the barrel,bolt and trunion but it was pretty easy on the shoulder VS the 308's.

I used a cheap remington take off barrel but it shot right about 1" with out my cantalever rail.

I really enjoyed the 243 also. Was great on varmints and I really liked it with lighter bullets on varmints and longer range plinking.

If Randy gets a 6.5 going I would not be surprised if he likes the lighter bullets better.
Everybody gets wrapped up in the fact the Creedmore is a 1000 yard round and needs high BC bullets but they forget how good it is with lighter bullets at ranges you might actually use it for. It and the 260 are bother good hunting rounds . Likely better than a 257 Roberts.
Loaded with lighter bullets it's a fun round to shoot.

I have a 260 barrel slated for a build I'm doing were the barrels screw in . With the way the Creedmore has taken off I'm reconsidering the 260.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:25 PM   #26
W210838
Veteran Member

I already have a few 6.5 rifles , I am purely a fan of the lighter recoil. My families range is plenty long , our farthest steel gong is 1800 yards but I have never shot at it , I stay between 300-500 yards with rifles as most yote kills are around that distance , like I said I'm not looking to put clovers at 600. If I can get the kill zone I'll be happy!
Old 06-23-2017, 07:56 PM   #27
1biggun
Curio & Relic

BUILD IT!.

Man I'd love to have a place like that to shoot.
If I did I'd likely have a bit differant rifles.

What twist? Have you got the reamer if so what neck clearance?
Old 06-23-2017, 08:28 PM   #28
W210838
Veteran Member

I will one day lol this is all just info gathering , my personal projects are on the way back burner !!!
Old 06-23-2017, 08:42 PM   #29
Lane_H
KING of Dremeling Rails

Quote:
I will one day lol this is all just info gathering , my personal projects are on the way back burner !!!
Wisper: If you build it they will come.. .

Old 06-23-2017, 11:01 PM   #30
W210838
Veteran Member

Its gonna be a unicorn !
Old 06-24-2017, 09:48 AM   #31
dirtyLoadsOK

AKaholic #: 182418
Location: Floriduh...fugit hurricane season has started again.

Quote:
Its gonna be a unicorn !
Think that top cover bolt/nut thing found a good home.
dirtyLoadsOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:10 AM   #32
W210838
Veteran Member

That piece is for a yugo kyber I've been working on , a yugo m64 receiver that a machined to use m85 mags ,it is gonna be a hodge lodge of parts from m64-m76 parts in rpk style !