Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > General Rifle Discussion

Notices

Old 06-19-2017, 08:33 AM   #36
Returned

AKaholic #: 189425

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknfkr View Post
I hear this a lot, but the evidence before me says otherwise. My nearest neighbor has 20 acres, 8 of which he mows. He does it with a tractor and a bush hog. It takes him 8 hours.

It takes him 8 hours because he has to double mow. First pass with the bush hog, second pass with a finishing deck. It's a huge waste of time and fuel.

I've used batwings before as well, and while they chew through a path 2 or 3 times as wide as any mower, they usually do so at about 2mph and the cut quality is garbage.

For now, I've decided on a new Hustler Raptor 52". Its got a 24hp koeler, and a fab deck. I test ran it on saturday and the cut quality is excellent, as is suction and discharge.

If/when I end up with more property and more grass to mow, I'll step up to something bigger and faster.
There is a big difference between cutting a lawn and maintaining 10+ acres. The "quality" of the cut is irrelevant. If you are looking to monetize you run a bailer otherwise you are just keeping the wild growth to acceptable levels. Now for your actual lawn, yes, you use a riding mower. Unless we are saying that people have 20 acres of lawn to care for and then I have to ask, how many holes is your personal golf course?

Dies irę, dies illa, dies tribulationis et angustię, dies calamitatis et miserię, dies tenebrarum et caliginis, dies nebulę et turbinis, dies tubę et clangoris super civitates munitas et super angulos excelsos
Returned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:55 AM   #37
freuderlocks

AKaholic #: 85061

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknfkr View Post
I need desperately to replace my mowers. One is a '70 something Ingersoll, the other is a '08 Kubota. They both have 44" decks and are slow as shit and struggle to mow 2 acres a week.

I'm looking to go big and go fast. I have my eye on a Woods Mow'n Machine 72" deck zero turn. It's powered by a Generac v-twin engine, has about 670 hours on it. It APPEARS well cared for and maintained. The seller is asking $3500. For the size, I think it's a great deal, but I don't have any first hand experience with Woods or with Generac to know what I'm getting in to.

Is it good to go or should I walk away?

If you say walk away, why? What mower would you recomend?
I had a neighbor named Ben, who was a sweet kid but had some sort of spectrum disorder. He fucking LOVED to mow my lawn, hell, he would knock on my door at 6 am Saturday morning BEGGING me to let him mow my lawn. I tried to pay him, pay his parents get his little sister to give him my money for doing the work but it always ended up in my mail box. I'd give you his number if I still had it,he would probably do it for free.
-FreuderLocks
Brain injury recovery time.
ChupacabraDethSkwad
freuderlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:31 AM   #38
Porcupine
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 178627

My first question would be do you consider the area a lawn or a field?

If a field, bush hog or let someone hay it for you.
Porcupine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:32 AM   #39
garym1a2

AKaholic #: 8779

I purchased a Toro Titian 2 months ago. With sales and discounts I got it for 1k under retail. It will mow my 10ac in under 6 hours. With a high quality cut. My old Kubota B2400 with a 48 inch bushhog took 12 hours and was a lousy cut. As I have a 52 inch cut and can mow at about 6mph.
garym1a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:33 AM   #40
Porcupine
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 178627

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returned View Post
There is a big difference between cutting a lawn and maintaining 10+ acres. The "quality" of the cut is irrelevant. If you are looking to monetize you run a bailer otherwise you are just keeping the wild growth to acceptable levels. Now for your actual lawn, yes, you use a riding mower. Unless we are saying that people have 20 acres of lawn to care for and then I have to ask, how many holes is your personal golf course?
This n

Don't know how I missed it before my previous response.
Porcupine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:42 PM   #41
7.62menace

AKaholic #: 183688

I love to mow. I just bought a Troy Bilt horse model. Its perfect for my 3 acres. Anything above that forget it.
7.62menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:27 PM   #42
chknfkr
Low balling stupid BASTARD

AKaholic #: 172241

I ended up buying a Hustler Raptor 52" It's got a 24HP Koeler v-twin with an automatic choke which is nice. The deck is welded 11 guage and very stout.

It chewed through the tall grass in my yard effortlessly and at full speed, about 8mph. I mowed my 2 acres in just under an hour. I'm sure I'll get faster as I get used to the controls, and how it tracks.

All in all I'm very satisfied with the purchase.

The MANY uses of an AK cleaning kit and rod

Кучка • Булка • Курва • Зараза
chknfkr is online now   Reply With Quote