Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AR15 / AR10

Notices

Old 06-14-2017, 11:16 AM   #1
Ed in Alaska
Senior Master-Bitcher

AKaholic #: 183760
Default Which would you go with?

So I am looking at popping $600 for a new AR. Considering the Armalite ORC, the Windham Weaponry SRC, or the Radical Firearms . Anyone have any inputs here? I like the Radical firearms gun, comes with a 15" mlok and a nice barrel, really nice. Rob Ski had a good video test of these, only the BGC tanked. These others are proven names, I like Windham Weaponry when I look them over, and it is what a Bushmaster used to be. The Armalite is of course the original and is chambered in .223 Wylde, which is a + to me.

Anyone have a WW gun? Armalite?

Thucydides
History of the Peloponnesian War (ca 410 )

" Being a professional I prepare for a technically proficient, well trained, well equipped, and well supplied enemy, but I would prefer a poorly trained idiot with a shitty weapon and no logistical support."

4/80 - 5/08 : U.S. Navy

Hooo-yaaaah!
Ed in Alaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:35 PM   #2
giantpune
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 188807

Only the BCG tanked? What other parts are fine to break after 4300 rounds? I think the BCG is a somewhat important part of the gun and it probably shouldn't be falling apart on you.

For $600, you can just about get a new Colt these days. Ruger, S&W, Aero Precision, PSA are all well under the $600 line.
giantpune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:37 PM   #3
овчарка

AKaholic #: 189949

Of the three, the Windham is by far the best.

But, Aero, PSA etc work fine. You could even buy a BCM upper and just save a tad more cash for a lower.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:09 PM   #4
Il Cattivo

AKaholic #: 180088

Huh? For the price, Armalite, Armalite, Armalite.

FWIW, a quick search turned up the Armalite for $459 at Tombstone Tactical. That's the point where I personally would jump on the Armalite and get a good (longer) handguard to go over the weird-height rail on the gas block and to go with whatever iron sights I picked up.
Il Cattivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:57 PM   #5
NWcityguy2

AKaholic #: 182680

IIRC, only the cam pin broke on the BCG during AKOU testing. It disables the rifle for sure, but is a $5 fix and not a $100 fix.

Just looking at the options, the windham will give you a chrome lined barrel, which is good if you plan on running more than a few thousand rounds through the rifle. The Armalite has a medium profile barrel that makes way more sense than a Govt profile barrel. The Radical is FF, but I've heard reports of other Radial Arms breaking small parts. I'm not saying they all break, but most companies have small parts break once in a blue moon. It should be a rare occurrence.

I've seen plenty of WW and they all functioned fine from what I saw. Armalite isn't the "original" so much as it is a new company who bought the rights to the name. I don't think it's important one way or the other, but it is the truth.

I still don't think you can beat PSA at your price point or under.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...ght-upper.html
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-a...-magazine.html
NWcityguy2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:16 PM   #6
Aceshigh
Pimp McTastic

AKaholic #: 5008

The first question should be.....

> Have you ever owned an AR before >???
> If you have, do you know how to build one ???

> If you do, then you should build your own.
> If you haven't ,then ......

9 times out of 10 you're going to customize it, so best to start at the beginning.
You get waaaaaaaay more for that same $600 in better parts then any of those will offer you.

AK Files custom search
Aceshigh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:36 PM   #7
fly
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 157672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshigh View Post
The first question should be.....

> Have you ever owned an AR before >???
> If you have, do you know how to build one ???

> If you do, then you should build your own.
> If you haven't ,then ......

9 times out of 10 you're going to customize it, so best to start at the beginning.
You get waaaaaaaay more for that same $600 in better parts then any of those will offer you.
Agree ^^^^ Build your own ^^^^^^^^^^
=================================

=================================

((DB)) #1 SnatchWrecher /'' If it's NOT a Colt it's a Copy ''
fly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:41 PM   #8
Fade2Blk
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 176726

Get a striped down colt and finish it off the way you want so you don't end up with a box of extra parts you payed for.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:50 PM   #9
bzub12
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 4864
Thumbs up

I have many AR's........i have carbines, SPR's....some that cost several thousand.......but after shooting and testing all of them i come back to a relatively simple AR-15A4 style rifle with a 20" govt profile FN barrel......it has the M5 RAS and a bipod........the fixed stock just works, the 20" barrel gives great velocity and i have a leupold mark4 10x scope on it......it tears the ass out of the 10 ring at 100 yards to the point that it is boring.
bzub12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:46 PM   #10
NMGuy

AKaholic #: 182584

I vote Windham as well. They make a good product. Armalite is okay too. I personaly will take either of them or even other options before a radical firearms AR.

PSA, S&W, Ruger, and a few others make good products in the same price range as well.

I personaly would look for something with a midlength gas system and 16" barrel. Or a Carbine gas system on a 14.5" pinned barrel.

The midlength gas system does have benefits on a 16" barrel. It is easier on the extractor and gives a better dwell time.
NMGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:53 PM   #11
Aceshigh
Pimp McTastic

AKaholic #: 5008

Just to throw a couple completed uppers at you as suggestions.....

$349 PSA 18" RIFLE LENGTH 223 WYLDE 1/7 NITRIDE 15" M-LOK UPPER- WITH NICKEL BORON BCG & CH
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...516445817.html

$329 PSA 18" RIFLE LENGTH 223 WYLDE 1/7 SS 15" M-LOK UPPER - WITH BCG AND CH

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...cg-and-ch.html

Add an Anderson lower for $30, or get a PSA lower kit.
Add this kit and you're off to the races for less with a BETTER end product.

PALMETTO STATE ARMORY MAGPUL MOE LOWER BUILD KIT, BLACK

http://palmettostatearmory.com/moe-l...kit-black.html

Or go polished FCG and source the rest.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/palme...lack-2556.html

AK Files custom search
Aceshigh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:29 PM   #12
4mula
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183879

Of the 3 you posted, i would go with the Aero AC-15.
Now with that being said, i would suggest you spend like $125 more.
You can get a naked Colt for $684
https://www.tombstonetactical.com/ca...6.1-no-frn-30/
You can also get a Spikes ST15-LE middy or carbine for $712
https://www.gunprodeals.com/products...e-855319005099
Old 06-16-2017, 02:56 AM   #13
citizensoldier16

AKaholic #: 192849

Colt LE6920. All the parts you need, none of what you don't.

Buds Guns has about the best price on Al Gore's interweb.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:29 AM   #14
SAIGA 5.45
General Butt Naked the II
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 174648

I just posted a windham SRC deal in the deal thread at the top of this forum. 500 shipped to your FFL.

I got mine yesterday and will likely pick up another, very nice rifle for what you are going to spend. Transferable lifetime warranty.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...flat-top-rifle
Old 06-17-2017, 11:23 PM   #15
VALMET_M76
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAIGA 5.45 View Post
I just posted a windham SRC deal in the deal thread at the top of this forum. 500 shipped to your FFL.

I got mine yesterday and will likely pick up another, very nice rifle for what you are going to spend. Transferable lifetime warranty.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...flat-top-rifle
Dang, that IS a fantastic price for that rifle. That's below dealer cost.
VALMET_M76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:30 AM   #16
jamf
jive ass mutha fucka

AKaholic #: 162754

I wish i would have known about Windham when walmart was dumping their ARs. At mine they had em red tagged for four hundred something. I hadn't gotten into ARs quite yet.

I thought they were just some bullshit company until i later got one of their catalogs and read that they are the old bushmaster company.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:42 AM   #17
89grand
((Jerks))

AKaholic #: 178030

It's very difficult to beat this. Granted, I like midlengths a bit better, and have a PSA midlength, but I have a carbine too, and there is not that much difference.

This comes with a better grip, a rear sight, and is $50 cheaper vs the Windham, not that it's not a nice rifle too.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/ruger...ifle-8500.html
89grand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:30 AM   #18
A J
Good People

AKaholic #: 173129

There's a dizzying selection of ARs on the market right now. I bought a Ruger last year and am very happy with it. The Ruger isn't "fancy" but is reliable, well-made and does the job. Colt is supposed to be a better model, but I notice that in many ways the Ruger has a better fit and finish. For example, the edges of the mag well on the Ruger almost look "machined" while the Colt's are somewhat rough and irregular.

Whatever you choose, with today's low prices for ARs, I don't think you can go wrong.

As far as "customizing" the only thing I did is add a scope and a sling.
A J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:07 PM   #19
SAIGA 5.45
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89grand View Post
It's very difficult to beat this. Granted, I like midlengths a bit better, and have a PSA midlength, but I have a carbine too, and there is not that much difference.

This comes with a better grip, a rear sight, and is $50 cheaper vs the Windham, not that it's not a nice rifle too.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/ruger...ifle-8500.html
Windham is a much nicer weapon for that extra 50 bucks.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:04 PM   #20
VALMET_M76
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 90

Quote:
I agree, a $489 shipped Windham SRC is one heck of a deal.

If I didn't already have an AR I would snap up a SRC.
VALMET_M76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:08 PM   #21
EGMak104FR

AKaholic #: 182974
Location: United States I love Russian type firearms. Especially, AK's and Makarovs

I'm new to the AR game but I've heard a lot of good things about Palmetto State Armory, and great deals right now on their uppers and lowers.
EGMak104FR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:47 PM   #22
mostholycerebys
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 165655

For $600 I would build an Aero Precision M4E1 upper and BCG from Schuyler Arms with a Ballistic barrel and slap it on a $150 PSA MOE EPT lower.
'We have peace. And its rare. And its amazing that we have it. We shouldnt take it for granted. Because the normal order of things is destructive chaos. Things can get absolutely monstrous, and there's always a fraction of the population who thinks that's how they'd like things to be, and perhaps theres a fraction of you that's like that too. I wouldn't nurture that fragment unless you want to KNOW where it will take you.' - J. Peterson, clinical psychologist and professor
mostholycerebys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:10 PM   #23
hoevito
Superhero

AKaholic #: 163060

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostholycerebys View Post
For $600 I would build an Aero Precision M4E1 upper and BCG from Schuyler Arms with a Ballistic barrel and slap it on a $150 PSA MOE EPT lower.
Pretty close to what I did just the other day...

Trolled sales via Schuyler, AIM, Monmouth, etc...putting together a 20" build with Aero receivers, 12" BAR m-lok handguard, Midwest Industries muzzle device, A2 stock assembly, Ballistic advantage barrel, AIM EXO NiB BCG, and a fully nitrided LPK. All done for right at $623

You can get away with building some nice AR's for not a lot of money these days. PSA still has their 14.7" and 20" CHF Premium rifle kits in stock for $569 and $599 respectively fwiw...
Old 06-19-2017, 04:44 PM   #24
paulgvb

AKaholic #: 172537

As others have suggested, I'd say buy the BCM upper you like the most and put it on a PSA lower that you can probably find on sale. It's fun and easy to assemble a stripped lower.
paulgvb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:06 PM   #25
W00F545

AKaholic #: 191889

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostholycerebys View Post
This is good advise!
W00F545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:15 PM   #26
W00F545

AKaholic #: 191889

Quote:
THe windhams are great rifles. And at 489.... A STEAL. They need a new trigger just like any $500 AR. I just dont like the grenade launcher cut in the barrel. Yes ive seen lots of guns shoot just fine with it but putting a weak spot in the barrel is bad form from a stiffness accuracy perspective. Because of that I think there are better overall values right now than 15s with that cut.
Just taste I suppose.
W00F545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:05 PM   #27
SAIGA 5.45
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00F545 View Post
THe windhams are great rifles. And at 489.... A STEAL. They need a new trigger just like any $500 AR. I just dont like the grenade launcher cut in the barrel. Yes ive seen lots of guns shoot just fine with it but putting a weak spot in the barrel is bad form from a stiffness accuracy perspective. Because of that I think there are better overall values right now than 15s with that cut.
Just taste I suppose.
To be honest after this weekend, the gun is accurate even with wolf gold, the trigger isn't bad at all, but that's probably because I shoot nothing but AK's with arsenal or tapco triggers.

I think with wolf gold it'll be right around 2 MOA, I don't get a big hardon for accuracy, it's a chrome lined barrel shooting bulk ammo so that is more than acceptable, and likely with better ammo 1 moa would be no problem with a good shooter. Plus shaving weight was key for me and why I wanted a flat top GB and that M4 profile barrel, I could have gone pencil but I wanted some heat resistance for some fast fire strings if I liked and not have the barrel cooking too much. The gun weighs 7.8 lbs with a set of fab defense sights and a holosun 403A and a full mag. It's a very handy little gun with great balance how it's setup now.

For less than 700 bucks finished up I am not disappointed at all with it. The real question is do I pick up another or maybe sample something else or build something. I am waiting for July 4th sales though.