Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-74s

Notices

Old 09-11-2017, 10:47 AM   #36
akenthusiast1

AKaholic #: 183368

im just into the ak74 theme. but im just scrounging around for bulgy parts for a good price and build, get a 4-6 mags, atleast one tin of 7n6 for storage and a box of golden tiger and that's my 74 specimen. next is my yugo m72b2 6.5 grendel build. I can understand selling a couple rifles of tje same caliber, but totally getting out of a caliber by having a blowout sale. k
akenthusiast1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:48 AM   #37
Ram Rod
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 182786

The OP has been banned again....permanently.....so if you're answering or giving advice to the OP then it would be a mute point now. Just sayin'
You troll hunters aint doing a very good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugroza View Post
In all seriousness i cant tell whether some of you are simply blind, ignorant or stupid..
Ram Rod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:01 PM   #38
love my ak47
Wild man

AKaholic #: 162758

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
The OP has been banned again....permanently.....so if you're answering or giving advice to the OP then it would be a mute point now. Just sayin'
You troll hunters aint doing a very good job.

Oh snap
Old 09-12-2017, 10:28 AM   #39
Claymore
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 186415

I left 5.45 in 2014, never looked back. Only Aks in 7.62 and Ars in 5.56 for me now

John 14:6

DEATH TO ANTIFA!
Claymore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:17 PM   #40
love my ak47
Wild man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
I left 5.45 in 2014, never looked back. Only Aks in 7.62 and Ars in 5.56 for me now

He got banned..::
Old 09-12-2017, 04:55 PM   #41
Claymore
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 186415

Quote:
Originally Posted by love my ak47 View Post
He got banned..::
Yeah just saw that after I posted. Oh well.

John 14:6

DEATH TO ANTIFA!
Claymore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:56 AM   #42
voron
Banned

AKaholic #: 174098

hey look its that time of the month for the ''should i ditch my 5,45" threads.......................................
voron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:01 AM   #43
bondmen
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 86277

Yeah, anybody wanting to ditch their beautiful AK-74's, I'd sure like to know where that ditch is.

My wife and daughter's favorite AK to shoot is the 5.45 x 39.5 we take with us to the range.

Get more lovin' with the, nope not a '47, but the '74.
bondmen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:31 PM   #44
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

AK74's live on...,

Barely 30 minutes ago I finished another AK74. The "scrapper"., a mix of parts I accumulated over time.

Receiver- $40 shipped .., a NDS/Century take-off purchased from a member here.

Muzzle device a prototype- sent to me by a member some years ago to test. It is short threaded and does not mount fully. Free..., kinda loud and pointy.

FSB- neutered 24 mm threads and lug from K-VAR back in the day @ $9.99. Muzzle device is welded to the neutered FSB & blind pinned to the barrel..

GB - neutered and sold by K-VAR at $9.99

Bolt, carrier and trunnion matching but no other parts from ORF - $75 IIRC

Romy folder from Paragon at Knob Creek circa 2013 $35..., or 3 for $90 (got three)

barrel - full price chromelined from AKBuilkder but obsolete by the K-VAR sale on Bulgy CLHF barrels. Lathe cut to 14.5" $130 shipped.

trigger guard- From Blackthorne at $8 but I had the spring and pivot pin. (5 for $40)

Other stuff I had on hand.
Fun build and some adjusting of the disparate parts required. Oddly the pre-drilled barrel gas port was about .080 too far forward??? The parts stacking vs AKBuilder issue would be my guess.
I channel cut the barrel behind the port and it cycles well after the second try. The Blackthorne Galil trigger guard is a bit wonky on fit and locking but after a bit of cutting and adjusting it works fine. Kinda handy release.

Probably just Appliance Epoxy it. Not pretty but test fired nicely.

AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:10 PM   #45
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

I have to work on the cleaning rod install. With the muzzle device permanently attached it is an obstacle. I will remove one of the rod holder lugs as soon as I mock up a rod to fit. I'll cut down and rethread a AK74 rod.

The handguards are Russian and are pretty practical. But I have a fixed stock Russian., well used set I could use as well.

AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:20 PM   #46
Bakwa
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 190595

Quote:
Originally Posted by voron View Post
hey look its that time of the month for the ''should i ditch my 5,45" threads.......................................
We take what we can get around here.
Nothing else exciting is happening on the files at the moment.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:43 AM   #47
jdrew

AKaholic #: 190146

you should totally sell all your 74's and related mags, ammo....... TO ME lol seriously though man keep your stuff... maybe get a handful more mags and a case or two of ammo then you are good to go. If 5.45 ammo dries up (which it wont.... not anytime soon) , you can practice/train with the 7.62 guns for most things. You could get away with only using 5.45 ammo through your 74 guns when you stretch your legs out past 300 yards and want to dial in hold overs. Other than that just keep those mags loaded for go time. That is my current plan, run the round count up on my 7.62 guns for training then switch to 5.45 for game time as i want the lighter weight and less drop at distance. Cheers man, keep those 74 rifles! If everyone starts selling the marketplace floods and then no company wants to try and bring in good 74 options for us. the fate of the 74 is in our hands barring federal action

-Alexander Hamilton
jdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:01 PM   #48
love my ak47
Wild man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrew View Post
you should totally sell all your 74's and related mags, ammo....... TO ME lol seriously though man keep your stuff... maybe get a handful more mags and a case or two of ammo then you are good to go. If 5.45 ammo dries up (which it wont.... not anytime soon) , you can practice/train with the 7.62 guns for most things. You could get away with only using 5.45 ammo through your 74 guns when you stretch your legs out past 300 yards and want to dial in hold overs. Other than that just keep those mags loaded for go time. That is my current plan, run the round count up on my 7.62 guns for training then switch to 5.45 for game time as i want the lighter weight and less drop at distance. Cheers man, keep those 74 rifles! If everyone starts selling the marketplace floods and then no company wants to try and bring in good 74 options for us. the fate of the 74 is in our hands barring federal action

Banned banned banned
Old 09-14-2017, 04:41 PM   #49
Tankboy
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 183589

Oh wow, why'd he get banned
Tankboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:20 PM   #50
skser45
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 171379

Quote:
Originally Posted by love my ak47 View Post
Man I miss his videos... that Ak music video was awesome.
Yes it was! and damn did he have some nice toys too. I re-watch them at least once a week.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:47 AM   #51
love my ak47
Wild man

Quote:
Originally Posted by skser45 View Post
Yes it was! and damn did he have some nice toys too. I re-watch them at least once a week.

I was hooked ever since that ak47 vs ar15 video
Old 09-17-2017, 05:35 PM   #52
Whatsinaname181

AKaholic #: 160897

Ive been into my 74'snfor a long time. I own nothing but Arsenals. Now that Im spoiled by 2 MOA AKs, i find it hard to go back to anything BUT an Arsenal....

That being said, and understanding that 5.45 is more inherently accurate than 7.62, does anyone have a good suggestion for a good AK47? Arsenal is my first choice, of course, but what are the opinions on the next best thing? What kind of accuracy will a top shelf AK deliver, all factors being equal?

Never thought id ask this but i got rid of my 47's years ago and Arsenals are stupid expensive right now. Id like an AK47 that can shoot straight.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:15 PM   #53
Browning Hi Power

AKaholic #: 191931

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsinaname181 View Post
Ive been into my 74'snfor a long time. I own nothing but Arsenals. Now that Im spoiled by 2 MOA AKs, i find it hard to go back to anything BUT an Arsenal....

That being said, and understanding that 5.45 is more inherently accurate than 7.62, does anyone have a good suggestion for a good AK47? Arsenal is my first choice, of course, but what are the opinions on the next best thing? What kind of accuracy will a top shelf AK deliver, all factors being equal?

Never thought id ask this but i got rid of my 47's years ago and Arsenals are stupid expensive right now. Id like an AK47 that can shoot straight.
Get a SAM7. Accuracy, fit and action are top notch. If you're going to get a 47 and you love Arsenal, definitely go with the SAM7. You won't regret it.
Browning Hi Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:21 AM   #54
jdrew

AKaholic #: 190146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browning Hi Power View Post
Get a SAM7. Accuracy, fit and action are top notch. If you're going to get a 47 and you love Arsenal, definitely go with the SAM7. You won't regret it.
I totally disagree with the SAM 7 thing. Fit and finish is still same old arsenal bullshit (crooked sights, terrible paint, etc) and it's WAYYY TOO HEAVY. Less aftermarket options for furniture, etc... just saying I would wait on a solid deal for an SLR -107R. 850$ vs minimum 1250$ for the Sam 7.... lol 400$ dollars difference? Hell no. Plus they only have the Sam 7 in the NATO and intermediate length stocks right now. The milled receiver is only cool if the gun will see 100,000 or more rounds and let's be honest.... unless you plan on spending 25,000$ dollars in ammo to put through this one gun there's no real difference. Accuracy difference from what I've seen is essentially non existent or tiny at best. The Sam 7 is a cool gun if you have the dough and just want pride of ownership, I still own one for that reason. but From a practical standpoint the a solid stamped Bulgarian gun is the way to go unless you can grab a vepr on the cheap...

-Alexander Hamilton
jdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:05 AM   #55
SAIGA 5.45
Ak files National Shoot Hooligan #1

AKaholic #: 174648

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrew View Post
I totally disagree with the SAM 7 thing. Fit and finish is still same old arsenal bullshit (crooked sights, terrible paint, etc) and it's WAYYY TOO HEAVY. Less aftermarket options for furniture, etc... just saying I would wait on a solid deal for an SLR -107R. 850$ vs minimum 1250$ for the Sam 7.... lol 400$ dollars difference? Hell no. Plus they only have the Sam 7 in the NATO and intermediate length stocks right now. The milled receiver is only cool if the gun will see 100,000 or more rounds and let's be honest.... unless you plan on spending 25,000$ dollars in ammo to put through this one gun there's no real difference. Accuracy difference from what I've seen is essentially non existent or tiny at best. The Sam 7 is a cool gun if you have the dough and just want pride of ownership, I still own one for that reason. but From a practical standpoint the a solid stamped Bulgarian gun is the way to go unless you can grab a vepr on the cheap...
The SAM7-84's I have seen and held have been top notch, straight as an arrow, yes it is a bit heavier but not obese, the finish is something different than the later 107 FR's and definitely the R's, it's the old paint over park type finish they used back in the day.

If you gotta have a milled gun I can think of no other, now merits of stamped vs. milled can and will be argued until the end of time. There really is no wrong answer.

Emotional confusion is like running backwards naked through a cornfield at night-Gary Busey

Permaban Sig 2017

Saiga 2
Nails 0
SAIGA 5.45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:05 AM   #56
Ak74dude

AKaholic #: 182210

Quote:

If you want to shell out for a top quality 7,62 then get a preban sa 85m. Theyre not cheap of course, but you are getting one hell of a factory built akm with excellent fit and finish. imported back when stuff was not neutered (no single stack mag well bs, etc). Agai, not cheap but youre gettig what you pay for. I cant keep mine in the safe I want to hold it all day
Ak74dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:21 AM   #57
Whatsinaname181

I appreciate the input guys- If money was no object, I'd probably rock the SAM7... but since it is, Ive got to look at non-1200 dollar 47's.

Jdrew, how does your SLR-107R shoot?

Again, Im spoiled with my SGL31's. Even my Bulgarian Krink is a 200-300 meter gun (man-sized target). Ive stretched their legs on courses of fire and rifle ranges out to 500 meters and they are every bit as effective as a rack grade M16A4 or M4. Id love to have this in 7.62.

The idea is also logistical.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:52 PM   #58
voron
Banned

Quote:

Jdrew, how does your SLR-107R shoot?
the same way any properly built 7,62x39 AK. with factory ammo ranging from Wolf to brass cased Cheetah anywhere between 2 and 4 moa, and if you reload my 103 can do 1.5-2 scoped, benched.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:03 PM   #59
Whatsinaname181

Quote:
the same way any properly built 7,62x39 AK. with factory ammo ranging from Wolf to brass cased Cheetah anywhere between 2 and 4 moa, and if you reload my 103 can do 1.5-2 scoped, benched.
Thanks, Voron.

Is there any conclusive evidence that suggests a milled receiver 47' shoots better than a stamped receiver 47'?
Old 09-19-2017, 11:13 AM   #60
voron
Banned

thats a good question, and from my experience the answer is no. there is empirical data on this, outside of forums or hearsay.

the most crucial part that affects the accuracy of the ak is the barrel. The other is the ammo. I have worked with Marc Krebs for years on improving accuracy of aks. He had some crazy projects where he modified the gas system to achieve better accuracy.

the most accurate ak was the one chambered in 6,5 Grendel.

but back to milled vs stamped. If you compared the 2 rifles, side by side and used same ammo, benched the gun, used one of those gizmos that eliminates the shooter as the part of the equation, potentially the milled receiver could give you better results that would be insignificant. talking about 1.7 moa vs 1.6

just look at the history and the development of the AK. type 1 was stamped. Steel extrusion was now yet very well developed, hence they went to milled.

what does milled offer? weight. cost. heat retention. accuracy? no. As soon as metallurgy was perfected they went back to stamped.

my stamped Vepr in 5,45 will do circles around my milled Firing Line receiver ak. why? because of the Veprs thick, stiff barrel.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:27 PM   #61
Whatsinaname181

Quote:
thats a good question, and from my experience the answer is no. there is empirical data on this, outside of forums or hearsay.

the most crucial part that affects the accuracy of the ak is the barrel. The other is the ammo. I have worked with Marc Krebs for years on improving accuracy of aks. He had some crazy projects where he modified the gas system to achieve better accuracy.

the most accurate ak was the one chambered in 6,5 Grendel.

but back to milled vs stamped. If you compared the 2 rifles, side by side and used same ammo, benched the gun, used one of those gizmos that eliminates the shooter as the part of the equation, potentially the milled receiver could give you better results that would be insignificant. talking about 1.7 moa vs 1.6

just look at the history and the development of the AK. type 1 was stamped. Steel extrusion was now yet very well developed, hence they went to milled.

what does milled offer? weight. cost. heat retention. accuracy? no. As soon as metallurgy was perfected they went back to stamped.

my stamped Vepr in 5,45 will do circles around my milled Firing Line receiver ak. why? because of the Veprs thick, stiff barrel.
Damn fine information, thanks again.