Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > General Rifle Discussion

Notices

Old 11-13-2017, 04:54 AM   #1
mishaco
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 190226
Default Shooting 4 different IWI Galil Ace Variants Back To Back

In #5 of our series, Discussion at the Range, Jay and I fire 4 different IWI Ace variants....

https://youtu.be/JFqDktXVUrM

And then talk about our favorites. Also we compare them with other guns on the market today, such as the Arsenal SAM7SF, FN SCAR, CZ 805 Bren, PTR91, and even the SIG SIG556/551-A1.

We shoot: 5.56 pistol, 5.56 carbine, 7.62x39 pistol, and 7.62 NATO carbine.
In the past, we fired a 7.62x39 carbine, so we have that experience to draw upon too.
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:39 AM   #2
firststrike51

AKaholic #: 162048

Good stuff so far, didn't get to the end ....had to do that stupid work thing
firststrike51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:54 AM   #3
Rgun1

AKaholic #: 186890

Added to watch later. Thanks for the discussion.
Rgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:12 PM   #4
Tankboy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183589

Think I'd take the bren over the galil 556 pistol.
Tankboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:58 PM   #5
HK-91
Way out of box thinker

AKaholic #: 162925

mishaco,
I really enjoyed the video. You do a great presentation jammed full of information. Thanks and keep them coming. After that history I'm not so disappointed in my 107-11 considering the availability issue. I bought it originally to have a stamped receiver to go with my SAM 7's and for that it was worth buying, while not my favorite it has its place. It's still a decent gun and an Arsenal and Bulgarian. Keep the videos coming they're really good.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:41 PM   #6
ddnc
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174853

Gotta correct you on some misinformation.
The GAP51 pistol has an 11.8 inch barrel and it will still do 2500 FPS, MV which is not in the 7.62x 39 realm, even with a 16 inch barrel.
7.62x39 generally run around 2100FPS at the muzzle with a ~12 inch barrel.
So apples / oranges here. If the .308 barrel was 8.5 inches then yes but it’s not.
ddnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:48 PM   #7
burninglegs
Where we go one we go all

AKaholic #: 183372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankboy View Post
Think I'd take the bren over the galil 556 pistol.
I think so too. Love my 805 Bren carbine. Thinking if I added a ACE 5.56 or Bren pistol, I'd go the Bren pistol route.
burninglegs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:07 PM   #8
Tankboy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183589

Quote:
Originally Posted by burninglegs View Post
I think so too. Love my 805 Bren carbine. Thinking if I added a ACE 5.56 or Bren pistol, I'd go the Bren pistol route.
Knowing me I'll prolly end up with both of them at some point, but my eyes are set on gettin that bren first.
Tankboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:39 PM   #9
burninglegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankboy View Post
Knowing me I'll prolly end up with both of them at some point, but my eyes are set on gettin that bren first.

One day.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:56 PM   #10
ddnc
Curio & Relic

Quote:

One day.
Iíll have that too........................but in 7.62x39.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:35 PM   #11
mishaco
Curio & Relic

Thank you for the info on the .308 pistol's barrel length. Truth is it just never interested either of us, so all I did was look on my IWI distributer's site and they had the barrel at 8.5".
But not at all surprised that info is wrong. A lot of the time big distributers just C+P the same info form, only changing the caliber field.

Heck, Centerfire had the VEPR-12 shotgun's barrel length on their site as 16.9" for a little time as they'd just C+P directly from wikipedia lol. That mis-info caused some issues as you might imagine.

Money isn't unlimited for us, so we have to pick the guns that interest us the most. Jay always wanted the .308 carbine, and really if the X39 pistol had worked better for him, probably it too.
For me, i was good w/o owning an Ace until shooting his 5.56 Pistol but then had to get the carbine version for myself to try.
And damnit if it wasn't a lot of fun, so I'll probably hang onto that one myself.

Agreeing too that between the Ace and Bren, if i could only have 1? yep Bren. That's not to say the Ace is bad; its great actually. It is just that the Bren is outstanding.
I'd take either one over a SCAR 16s.

Both are much cheaper than the SCAR, both have a much nicer OEM trigger, both have a better cocking handle shape (IMO), and both have easier to clean gas pistons compared with the SCAR.
The only things the SCAR has going for it over the Ace and the Bren are that it is a bit lighter weight still, and an ambi bolt release.

Also, the Bren and Ace have seen more military use in the field compared with the SCAR Light/MK16 (not talking 17 here guys).

All 3 are built tough and to last, so I like that about 'em all. The Ace does have a milled steel receiver, with the Bren having a forged aluminijum alloy; both good.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:08 PM   #12
ddnc
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaco View Post
Thank you for the info on the .308 pistol's barrel length. Truth is it just never interested either of us, so all I did was look on my IWI distributer's site and they had the barrel at 8.5".
But not at all surprised that info is wrong. A lot of the time big distributers just C+P the same info form, only changing the caliber field.
Figured that was the case.
Itís actually an awesome gun and no problem on steel at 350 meters. Mine has a brace and with the brake is actually more pleasant to shoot than my x39 ACEs. If you get around to one I think youíll agree.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:20 PM   #13
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 171780

I never really thought the 7.62x39's recoil was that bad, but I'm sure it could be smoothed out pretty well with a muzzle brake of some sort
Old 11-13-2017, 10:45 PM   #14
ddnc
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKAK47 View Post
I never really thought the 7.62x39's recoil was that bad, but I'm sure it could be smoothed out pretty well with a muzzle brake of some sort
Itís not really but the .308 is just smoother. Itís really weird but it is.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:09 AM   #15
mishaco
Curio & Relic

Exactly, its not so much that the X39 has heavy recoil...but yeah "smoother' is a good way to describe how the .308 feels compared with it.
The X39 wants to jump around and vibrate a bit more. Its not conventional recoil as such.

The 5.56 though is rock steady. Pistol has minimal recoil with some muzzle blast, and the carbine has next to no recoil with pretty mild blast too.

A friend has several Micro Galil barrel lengths from 7.8" to 8.3" to 11.0". IMI/IWI sure made that gun in a lot of different configurations. The Ace is just a modernized Micro Galil, with many of the parts even interchangeable.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:52 AM   #16
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

Good info guys, I have little experience with .308 rifles in general so I don’t have much frame of reference for the recoil

I know there’s rumor of 5.45 family coming out soon which makes sense since these were designed for military export. I bet it would be marketed to Ukraine. I’d love to see these for the US market, especially if it took AK-74 mags
Old 11-14-2017, 02:58 AM   #17
FullAssault
☆ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ☆

AKaholic #: 154920

Quote:

Heck, Centerfire had the VEPR-12 shotgun's barrel length on their site as 16.9" for a little time as they'd just C+P directly from wikipedia lol. That mis-info caused some issues as you might imagine.

Money isn't unlimited for us, so we have to pick the guns that interest us the most. Jay always wanted the .308 carbine, and really if the X39 pistol had worked better for him, probably it too.
For me, i was good w/o owning an Ace until shooting his 5.56 Pistol but then had to get the carbine version for myself to try.
And damnit if it wasn't a lot of fun, so I'll probably hang onto that one myself.

Agreeing too that between the Ace and Bren, if i could only have 1? yep Bren. That's not to say the Ace is bad; its great actually. It is just that the Bren is outstanding.
I'd take either one over a SCAR 16s.

Both are much cheaper than the SCAR, both have a much nicer OEM trigger, both have a better cocking handle shape (IMO), and both have easier to clean gas pistons compared with the SCAR.
The only things the SCAR has going for it over the Ace and the Bren are that it is a bit lighter weight still, and an ambi bolt release.

Also, the Bren and Ace have seen more military use in the field compared with the SCAR Light/MK16 (not talking 17 here guys).

All 3 are built tough and to last, so I like that about 'em all. The Ace does have a milled steel receiver, with the Bren having a forged aluminijum alloy; both good.
I think you might be a little off on the 16/L. Itís probably seen more actual combat than the ACE & Bren put together.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:59 AM   #18
mishaco
Curio & Relic

Sorry but no plans for a semi Ace in 5.45x39 in the USA.

Fort of Ukraine has a license to manufacture the Ace, and yes has said it will do a version in 5.45x39 though. I think they might also be doing a Tavor in that caliber too?

Aside from Russia, Romania, and Ukraine very few militaries use the 5.45x39 cartridge in any real numbers.
N. Korea uses it but also uses 7.62x39, so who knows actually how many rifles are in service?

5.45x39 never gained popularity in Africa or the Mid East. In Bulgaria and Poland, just mentioning it is nearly speaking 'fighting words' lol. Hungary, Yugoslavia/Serbia, Czech, and Finland never switched to it either.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:20 AM   #19
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Sorry but no plans for a semi Ace in 5.45x39 in the USA.

Fort of Ukraine has a license to manufacture the Ace, and yes has said it will do a version in 5.45x39 though. I think they might also be doing a Tavor in that caliber too?

Aside from Russia, Romania, and Ukraine very few militaries use the 5.45x39 cartridge in any real numbers.
N. Korea uses it but also uses 7.62x39, so who knows actually how many rifles are in service?

5.45x39 never gained popularity in Africa or the Mid East. In Bulgaria and Poland, just mentioning it is nearly speaking 'fighting words' lol. Hungary, Yugoslavia/Serbia, Czech, and Finland never switched to it either.
Huh, guy from IWI said thereís plans but nothing solidified yet, we will see
Old 11-14-2017, 09:13 AM   #20
Flashpoint
Lord of War

AKaholic #: 155978

Quote:
Huh, guy from IWI said thereís plans but nothing solidified yet, we will see
I hope this is true.
Flashpoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:17 AM   #21
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
I hope this is true.
The key note there is Ďnothing is solidified yetí- and as mishaco points out very few countries have adopted 5.45, most of the export market inhereted it after the USSR broke up

While Ukraine would be the choice target for this, their attempts to jump into NATO make it seem like marketing the 21 series in 5.56 makes more sense- that being said Central Asian republics like Kazhakstan, Armenia, Azerbaijan etc. all have aging 5.45 small arms and a 5.45 Galil that accepts 5.45 AK magazines could be incredibly profitable, especially if IWI leases out manufacturing rights like they did with Columbia and Vietnam

The difficulty in cracking the central Asian market could be two things: Russian sphere of influence, and IWI trying to sell to nations that are predominantly Muslim, I shouldnít have to explain the issues there

Still the US civilian market could benefit from a 5.45 ACE, it would stand alone in terms of having ďmodern featuresĒ and a milled 5.45 receiver, the competition coming from SLR-104 series would be itís only major competitor
Old 11-14-2017, 04:39 PM   #22
ChilLyWilLy

AKaholic #: 185882

Isn't a CZ 806 coming to the US?
ChilLyWilLy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:58 PM   #23
mishaco
Curio & Relic

Keep in mind, originally IWI talked about a 5.45x39 Tavor too or at least a conversion kit, and that never came to anything.

Why would they spend time & money making a 5.45x39 Ace in semi auto? Agreed a military version might do well in C. Asia and other former Comblock nations, no argument there but in the USA?

Who would be their target market? Remember, to roll out a gun in a new caliber, they would want to know they could sell at least say 10,000 units. Otherwise, it wouldn't be worth the effort.
The general firearms public was into 5.45 back 2008-2010 when the cheap cheap surplus was around, but these days they've long since moved on to other things (.300 BO and 6.5 come to mind).
So that leaves us AK guys...and even a lot of us are complaining about the cost/availability of AK74 magazines these days. Also, there is a lot of worry (founded or not) about the future of 5.45 ammo imports. Add that to the fact that no one here in the USA is making the cartriges domestically and....yeah it all looks pretty shaky.
So why would IWI take the risk of a 5.45 Ace, only to sell a few more rifles?

Plus, Aces aren't exactly flying off shelves across the country. People aren't lining up to buy them, and most distributers aren't ordering new ones from IWI as they are still sitting on old stock.

Those are my reasons for being skeptical about a 5.45 Ace. As always, if I am wrong, happy to admit it. Just my opinion afterall.

As to a semi CZ 806, there again the internet has put the cart before the horse. According to CZ in Czech Republic, there are no plans at this time to do a semi auto 806 S1. This is what they told my friend Chris FTF when he was over there in September. He did get to fire a military 806A1 though, which he said was awesome.
For now, CZ is too busy with military contracts and equipping its nation with the 806 to even think about the US civilian market. Once they get caught up, then they'll consider a semi 806. That would only be the start though. They'd have to design it, test it, get ATF approoval, and finally setup a production line just for it.

So the 806S1 may never come and even if it does, the earliest it could be here would be 2019-2020.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:19 PM   #24
ChilLyWilLy

AKaholic #: 185882

Thanks Misha, you are one knowledgeable sob!
ChilLyWilLy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:10 PM   #25
hoevito
Superhero

AKaholic #: 163060

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilLyWilLy View Post
Isn't a CZ 806 coming to the US?
Somewhat likely, but not confirmed yet. Just rumors, wink wink stuff so far...
Old 11-14-2017, 06:13 PM   #26
Flashpoint
Lord of War

AKaholic #: 155978

Mishaco,

Good points, but I believe this would be the perfect time for IWI to import a 5.45 ACE. Currently there would only be one competitor which is the SLR-104 that isn't currently being imported. The Veprs are gone, so the only factory built 5.45 rifles are the Arsenals. If IWI brings this to market it wouldn't have a lot of competition. The high price would probably affect sales a little bit, but I believe there will be a lot of buyers. Unfortunately if we don't get another factory import 5.45 then I think this caliber might die out in the US. If we can't get an ACE here then hopefully we can get a Romanian AK74.
Flashpoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:19 PM   #27
burninglegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoevito View Post
Somewhat likely, but not confirmed yet. Just rumors, wink wink stuff so far...
I have read in a few places (CZ forum too) that the 806 Civilian version (Semi-Auto) version is suppose to hit the streets summer 2018. Maybe that really is just a wink wink type thing or maybe just expectations. Would expect them to mention that Shot Show 2018 if that is the case. So we should know in 2 months time.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:43 PM   #28
mishaco
Curio & Relic

No way, if 2018, then they'd already have to have a semi USA version legal created, ATF approoval (or at least starting to look into it), and beginning setup for the 806S1 production line.

I am calling total bullshit on that kind of claim as not only is there zero evidence to support it, but in fact what little we've heard directly from CZ contradicts it. Sounds like utter wishing to me.

As to 5.45x39, why wouldn't it die out? What does it offer that 5.56 does not? Why would thousands of people want to pay $1,600+ for an Ace to fire a cartridge that is no cheaper than 5.56 and much more difficult to find at LGSs? Also fewer and pricier mag options.
Outside of AK collectors, why should anyone care?

Within AK collectors, why would most want a 5.45 Ace? Its not a historical gun or anything, and if its a tactical, why not just go with 5.56 or 7.62x39? What advantage does 5.45x39 give?

Up until Arsenal said no more were coming in, SLR-104FR sales were pretty sluggish. I mean they were moving, but they weren't moving too fast. And those were in the $1,000-$1,100 price range. So if they weren't hot sellers for that money, why would the Ace do any better at $500 more?

To me, 5.45x39 was always destined to become a pretty obscure and nitch caliber, and that's fine. I own a lot of milsurp and most of those fire non-common rounds. So what? I can still find ammo for most of them and still enjoy shooting them.
But the USSR lost the Cold War. Its copy of 5.56x45 was eventually going to fade away, and the Russian sanctions have only spedup the process.

Arsenal will most likely never bring the SLR-104 back as it wasn't a big money maker for them, and the guys in Bulgaria were already bitchy about making guns for 5.45x39 in the first place. Seeing this, IWI would be pretty silly to try and tap the same market, but with a more expensive gun.

Agreed that Romania is a more likely source for a 5.45 rifle, but with Century still controlling Cugir imports, that shit isn't happening lol. CAI has little interest in any imports these days, and none in other calibers than 7.62x39.
To get a semi AIMS74/PA86, we'd need some other company to get control of the Cugir line.
Why can't CAI drop dead already?

I am saying all of this to try and get you into how companies think and such decisions are made. It costs a lot of money to bring a new model to market, and its always a bit headache with the ATF to get the ok. They'll go through all of that if there's good money to be made, but usually won't for just a small return.

And keep in mind the entire MSR/EBR/WTF market is in a huge slump in 2017.A lot of companies are struggling and making cutbacks.
The election didn't go the way they thought, and the buying public is extremely fickle. How many times have you heard/read "I'd buy X if only it was Y dollars cheaper!" or "I'd buy X, if only it waere chambered for Y caliber."
Thing is, even if a company does lower the price or introduce that new caliber, then usually that person saying such things still won't buy. That's because saying the gun was too expensive or was in the wrong caliber wasn't a real reason for not buying; just an excuse.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:32 PM   #29
Scott7891
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 58999

I thank you for this review.

A 7.62 NATO Galil ACE is definitely in my future since I sold off all of my .308 rifles but still have a small stockpile of ammo for it. I like the round but the systems I had before did not work out for me in the long run.

After that I am strongly considering the 5.56 variant.

7.62x39 is lowest on my demand list especially after your experience with it. I think adding a muzzle brake and adding a recoil pad like on the .308 version might help to tame the 7.62x39 version much better.
Scott7891 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:23 AM   #30
HK-91
Way out of box thinker

AKaholic #: 162925

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott7891 View Post
I thank you for this review.

A 7.62 NATO Galil ACE is definitely in my future since I sold off all of my .308 rifles but still have a small stockpile of ammo for it. I like the round but the systems I had before did not work out for me in the long run.

After that I am strongly considering the 5.56 variant.

7.62x39 is lowest on my demand list especially after your experience with it. I think adding a muzzle brake and adding a recoil pad like on the .308 version might help to tame the 7.62x39 version much better.
The X51 is a nice smooth shooter. I really don't think my X39 is bad either. I put a Mech Force muzzle break on it and it's a little better than the one it came with but it shoots smooth with either I think. You'll like the X51 it's a really nice rifle. I have absolutely no regrets I bought both they're keepers.

Last edited by HK-91; 11-17-2017 at 01:29 AM.
HK-91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:32 AM   #31
burninglegs

Quote:
No way, if 2018, then they'd already have to have a semi USA version legal created, ATF approoval (or at least starting to look into it), and beginning setup for the 806S1 production line.

I am calling total bullshit on that kind of claim as not only is there zero evidence to support it, but in fact what little we've heard directly from CZ contradicts it. Sounds like utter wishing to me.
I was just going off of what I have heard and read in other sources. Could be completely wrong. But I can be hopeful, right?

This starts at 2:30:

"This will be available probably for semi-automatic late 2018 for individual purchase."

I'm still saving up my pennies as if that is the case. Most likely, it will get pushed back. But that is the most official source from CZ that I have heard regarding 806 Bren release to USD market in semi-auto version.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:41 PM   #32
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

Damn an 806 at the same price point as an 805 would be clutch
Old 11-17-2017, 02:21 PM   #33
burninglegs

Quote:
Damn an 806 at the same price point as an 805 would be clutch
Yup and hopefully they offer it in 7.62 NATO as well.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:18 PM   #34
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Yup and hopefully they offer it in 7.62 NATO as well.
This wonít happen but a 7.62x39 that takes AK mags would be sweet
Old 11-17-2017, 09:53 PM   #35
Just a Citizen
Not the Sharpest Crayon in the box.

AKaholic #: 173954

Nice video Misha, good stuff those Aces's.
"The right of a citizen to bear arms, in lawful defense of himself or the State, is absolute. He does not derive it from the State government. It is one of the "high powers" delegated directly to the citizen, and `is excepted out of the general powers of government.' A law cannot be passed to infringe upon or impair it, because it is above the law, and independent of the lawmaking power." [Cockrum v. State, 24 Tex. 394, at 401-402 (1859)
Just a Citizen is online now   Reply With Quote