Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Shotguns

Notices

Old 09-21-2018, 10:34 PM   #36
Rev06
Titanium Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 185972

I could see Remington being bought up, then split apart to cherry pick the best brands and assets. (Then the process starts all over again as new managers always try to prove their "value" and managerial acumen.)

I have been forked by them twice in the last ten years, once on a 700 and once on a "Remington" Marlin .357 Mag lever gun. Not again for me. I even try to avoid their Ammo, although the slugger shotgun shells sometimes go on sale.

It could be some time before they feel the pressure tho as Big Green has the marketing power and retail connections to coast on inertia for a longgggg time
Old 09-22-2018, 02:42 AM   #37
89grand
It's Flat

AKaholic #: 178030

This is my newest Remington. A 1969 870 Wingmaster. Seriously doubt I'll ever own a new one.

89grand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 05:26 AM   #38
ThirdWatcher

AKaholic #: 45387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev06 View Post
... It could be some time before they feel the pressure tho as Big Green has the marketing power and retail connections to coast on inertia for a longgggg time
Maybe so, but there are a lot of used Remington shotguns out there in the secondary market. Itís pretty hard to wear out a shotgun.
ThirdWatcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:14 PM   #39
MOTOROLANUT
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 187095

Very sweet 89, very sweet.
MOTOROLANUT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:41 PM   #40
AllTen

AKaholic #: 181458

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldozer1 View Post
I bought a couple of new Remington shotguns in the last couple of months after avoiding the brand for years, based on what I have been reading on the internet.
My recent experience with mine, nice finish on the metal parts, beautiful wood, smooth, flawless function.
I'm happy with mine.
(One is a high polish blue 870 Police Magnum)

I read your post again and then realized you've already got the same high polish blue 870P.

I sprang for the gun, it's here.

I love the wood, which is nicer than I expected, and the grain is going lengthwise from front to back, so I've got to ask you a question since you've already got the same gun.

I could be wrong, but it looks like somebody rubbed in a coat of Danish oil onto the furniture, because it's got that almost satin sheen like the Danish oil I would use on it. Can you tell if your furniture looks the same way?

French Polish be damned, I'll be rubbing in Danish oil onto this furniture from now on. Well................maybe some Liberon paste wax after I get tired of rubbing in the Danish oil.

I've ordered the Rem blued + 2 mag ext. and a "lefty" trigger assembly for it.

There is no rust, but there is the very slightest haze on the metal parts, might be oil that's dried up, plus smudges from handling the gun, but nothing that has started to "bite" into the finish, and so it will get a good cleaning. The gun has sat somewhere for a while.

Last edited by AllTen; 09-22-2018 at 08:09 PM.
AllTen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:07 PM   #41
madmanmccoy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 115894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gade04 View Post
a Remington family. "Cool" guns were not a thing in my family growing up, just hunting guns.

When I was about 14 (more than half my life ago) I was unloading my Remington 700 after climbing down from a deer stand. This model required you to disengage the safety to work the bolt. When I moved the safety to fire, the rifle fired. I was always taught muzzle discipline, so the muzzle was pointed safely at the ground. However, my father and grandfather chewed my butt and refused to hear that I did not touch the trigger. After being chewed out for the entire ride back home, my grandfather decided to once again demonstrate to me how to safely handle a firearm (my rifle, but this time unloaded). As he flipped the safety off to work the bolt (no finger near the trigger), the rifle dry fired. My father and grandfather stood there in disbelief, questioning whether or not the rifle just "clicked." I stood there, a young, ignorant youth, complaining that that was what I had been trying to say for the last two hours. My father took the rifle to a gunsmith and had the problem repaired. At the time, there was no media information surrounding Remington and unsafe guns.

Fast-forward about twenty years. I moved home after spending 8 years in the Army and multiple combat tours. I had since moved on to Savage rifles. My father still hunted with a Remington 700. After hunting one evening, he went to unload his rifle (not the same rifle I had at 14), and it fired just by touching the bolt. By this time, there had been some media information about Remington having faulty guns. I told my father to contact them and see if they will fix his gun. He did, notifying them of his issue, and of the issue I had many years earlier. Remington's response was something along the lines of "Well, it is not under warranty."

I sold every Remington firearm I had, including 870's, and refused to ever buy anything from them again. Since then, I have seen Remington's quality get worse and worse and worse. It would be shame for a legend like them to go out of business, but, frankly, I don't give a damn.
You did the RIGHT THING,,,it's a very common story repeated MANY times
Lost count of how many DUDS I had in Remington Shotshells.....till I stopped using them[All on trap or Skeet ranges, I never used REM for Hunting or serious use] Knew better,when I bought a "turkey Gun" I bought a Browning BPS Stalker 10Ga. feeds,fires,ejects flawlessly 24 years,now,
I wanted a 12O/U without all the gloss& shine,my other shotguns are all gloss/polished;
got a SKB WATERFOWLER 12ga,3"MAG , Greener type action,matte black steel 28"BBLs,great shotgun

I've got a 20 Browning O/U LTWT UPLAND 24" strt.English grip ,hi grade Walnut
Rizzini ARUM "L.L.BEAN New Englander" .410 ,28"Oil Finish AAAWalnut/ CCH / jewelled action,
SKB 385 SXS 28ga 26" chkrd./Engraved
And Do NO Wrong:
Protect the Helpless Tho It Leads to your Death

Last edited by madmanmccoy; 09-22-2018 at 11:12 PM.
madmanmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:10 PM   #42
bulldozer1
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 168284

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTen View Post
I read your post again and then realized you've already got the same high polish blue 870P.

I sprang for the gun, it's here.

I love the wood, which is nicer than I expected, and the grain is going lengthwise from front to back, so I've got to ask you a question since you've already got the same gun.

I could be wrong, but it looks like somebody rubbed in a coat of Danish oil onto the furniture, because it's got that almost satin sheen like the Danish oil I would use on it. Can you tell if your furniture looks the same way?

French Polish be damned, I'll be rubbing in Danish oil onto this furniture from now on. Well................maybe some Liberon paste wax after I get tired of rubbing in the Danish oil.

I've ordered the Rem blued + 2 mag ext. and a "lefty" trigger assembly for it.

There is no rust, but there is the very slightest haze on the metal parts, might be oil that's dried up, plus smudges from handling the gun, but nothing that has started to "bite" into the finish, and so it will get a good cleaning. The gun has sat somewhere for a while.
I'll try to get it out tomorrow and look at it. I did put on the +2 extension.
'sic semper tyrannis'
bulldozer1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:27 AM   #43
89grand
It's Flat

AKaholic #: 178030

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOROLANUT View Post
Very sweet 89, very sweet.
Thanks. It was a 28" barrel originally which I still have, but I added a Mossberg 18.5" blued barrel and a Remington blued +2 extension.
89grand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:29 PM   #44
Sirex
Goldmember

AKaholic #: 181199

I sold my old police magnum 870 many years ago. I regret it to this day. I did pick up a 870 express a couple years ago. Didn't like the finish, and some shells (S&B buckshot) were getting hung up. I ended up selling it, and got a cheaper Maverick 88 which runs great. Love it. But, I do plan to buy another older 870 Police Magnum to make up for my mistake of selling my old one.

My 700 is fine, and I love my 1918 Remington M91, even if it is out of warranty.

The master replied, "It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war."
Sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:37 AM   #45
Gade04

AKaholic #: 197242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev06 View Post
I could see Remington being bought up, then split apart to cherry pick the best brands and assets. (Then the process starts all over again as new managers always try to prove their "value" and managerial acumen.)

I have been forked by them twice in the last ten years, once on a 700 and once on a "Remington" Marlin .357 Mag lever gun. Not again for me. I even try to avoid their Ammo, although the slugger shotgun shells sometimes go on sale.

It could be some time before they feel the pressure tho as Big Green has the marketing power and retail connections to coast on inertia for a longgggg time
I hate that they got Marlin. Marlin was awesome. You can definitely tell the difference between a "Marlin" Marlin and a "Remington" Marlin.
Gade04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:58 PM   #46
AK-104
Stroke My Member

AKaholic #: 162667

My former employer issued us all brand new shotguns back in 2006 or so. They went with Remington 870P's with parkerized finish, 14 inch barrels, Surefire forends, and full polymer stocks with pistol grip. They ran excellent, and were nice to have handy.

The finish however... Oh LORD, that finish! Those guns rusted so easily through the factory parkerized finish, that it became a regular part of my day to wipe that shotgun down with an oiled cloth. I mean they were BAD. It was amost as if the metal was rusted before the finish was applied and they just said fuck it.

On the other hand, the 870P that it had replaced, was clapped out and beat to shit so I was glad to have it. I think sometimes guys remember the good old days as having been better than they actually were.

For what it's worth, my wifes bedside gun is a 12 gauge 870 express with a few upgraded internals and a Butler Creek folding stock. It runs like a champ, and hasn't had the rusting problem. She loves it and uses it like a pro. I have no problems with the gun whatsoever.

As for their rifles, I've always thought Savage makes a more accurate and better designed rifle for less money so I've not bothered with a Remington rifle in many years.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:29 PM   #47
Tactical Baron

AKaholic #: 196938

I doubt Remington will ever go away in our lifetimes. Some re-structuring and Remington will be back at it. Just need a little freedom from, well the Freedom Group. Of course I've never bought a new Remington anything, there's just so much used stuff out there so why bother.
Tactical Baron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:08 AM   #48
jhartmac1

AKaholic #: 172136

BUT........because there are so many out there, the value is meh......I have a new 1988 wingmaster....absolutely beautiful but can't sell it....no one is interested....imagine that??
jhartmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:14 AM   #49
jhartmac1

AKaholic #: 172136

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTen View Post
This is the new/old stock WM that I was lucky to get some time ago that replaced the hole in my heart I had from selling my first WM as a kid. I've got the Versa Max which I'm glad to say has been behaving, but nothing in my stable feels like this "Oldie but Goodie" when I hold it in my hands; and while I do..........it makes me think back.

Cut down barrel, Ruger/S&W front sight and patridge so it doesn't mess w/the VR, Scattergun Tech rear ghost ring, ext. tube blued to match the gun, and the rest of the gun a "blast from the past".

Can I ask how long it took scattergun to complete and price? I have a Police Id like them to add those sights too.
jhartmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:49 AM   #50
wade2big

AKaholic #: 188836

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-104 View Post
My former employer issued us all brand new shotguns back in 2006 or so. They went with Remington 870P's with parkerized finish, 14 inch barrels, Surefire forends, and full polymer stocks with pistol grip. They ran excellent, and were nice to have handy.

The finish however... Oh LORD, that finish! Those guns rusted so easily through the factory parkerized finish, that it became a regular part of my day to wipe that shotgun down with an oiled cloth. I mean they were BAD. It was amost as if the metal was rusted before the finish was applied and they just said fuck it.

On the other hand, the 870P that it had replaced, was clapped out and beat to shit so I was glad to have it. I think sometimes guys remember the good old days as having been better than they actually were.

For what it's worth, my wifes bedside gun is a 12 gauge 870 express with a few upgraded internals and a Butler Creek folding stock. It runs like a champ, and hasn't had the rusting problem. She loves it and uses it like a pro. I have no problems with the gun whatsoever.

As for their rifles, I've always thought Savage makes a more accurate and better designed rifle for less money so I've not bothered with a Remington rifle in many years.
I was right with you until you said “Savage makes a more accurate and better designed rifle for less money...”. Savage rifles are really good shooters mostly but their design has many problems. For the casual shooter they are fine. Ask any guys that compete and see what they say about them. Clunky bolts and ejection problems that just wont go away no matter what you upgrade. Pierce a primer and the gun just went down. Broken washer inside the bolt underneath the firing pin. Seen this one myself. I dont dislike savages as they cater to guys who are trying to save a few bucks for one reason or another and they thpically shoot well. My friend’s gun is a hammer but exhibits the problems I spoke about as well.
wade2big is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM   #51
AllTen

AKaholic #: 181458
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartmac1 View Post
Can I ask how long it took scattergun to complete and price? I have a Police Id like them to add those sights too.

Remington sells, or sold a version of the 870P with a Scattergun Tech rear ghost ring already mounted which saved me the hassle of piecing it together/mounting the rear sight, so you can go this route or go through Scattergun.

If you've already got the gun, I believe the cheapest price for the Scattergun Tech Ghost Ring II is $78.00, I know because I'm ordering one for the 870P I just got. I don't know what Scattergun will do on the price including the cost of the sight/mounting it, and the build.

Re this build, I got the low Mesa Tactical adaptor (4 mounting the buffer tube/Fab Def grip), Fab Def forend and ang. grip.

MT sold the long rail w/clamp which I bit on, so I could put anything, anywhere along the rail, which also has a deep center "V groove" so you still line up the front sight through to the rear ghost ring with rail in place.

Some folks dismissed this build as "tactical madness"...........but I will tell you there's a lot of functionality to the gun, not just looks.

John Sabicer out of Monterey Park did this for me after I assembled the parts, and this was a few yrs. ago, so I'd suggest comparing the cost of going the two different routes (piecing one together or going through Scattergun).

The paperwork is buried somewhere but if memory serves, I paid around 7 bills for the gun and scattergun rear sight.

The Remington 870P Magnum w/sku 24447 is similar w/a rear ghost ring made by another outfit, but is not this gun. Most of the folks selling this gun are asking TOO MUCH MONEY.

$78.00 is a good price for this ghost ring (by Scattergun), if you want to order the sight and then mount it yourself/have a gunsmith mount it, the rest of my build was pretty much slapping on parts.

If you want a good laugh....................Check Remington parts.................they slap $100.00 onto the price, and will sell you the same sight for $185.00..........EXACT SAME SIGHT.

Last edited by AllTen; Yesterday at 04:25 PM.
AllTen is online now   Reply With Quote