Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Optics

Notices

Old 08-08-2018, 02:47 PM   #211
wade2big

AKaholic #: 188836

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugroza View Post
Wade, i get it, i had my share of scopes over the years on different platforms.
This is not about 3x or 4.5-27x... that shit works, i know, its not about that.

1x on an AK, it is all we are talking about here. Subject of the thread is "Primary Arms 1x Prism" on an AK forum, so lets discuss PA 1x on an AK rifle.
You people need to stop pulling irrelevant magic rabbits out of every butt hole that comes across into this thread.
The last few lines of my previous post addressed what I thought Ugroza. Re read it as I think you will agree with my thoughts on the 1x prism. I havent shot with the PA 1x but have shot on 1x on other variable scopes.
wade2big is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:01 PM   #212
Trvrswsr1234

AKaholic #: 193880

Quote:
Welll....
How about telling us what is it like to shoot this thing while mounted on an AK?

Placing optic on an AR and achieve advertised results with it is a no brainer. AK on other hand is a different animal, it tends to muscle with you after every shot.
So lets say i have a rifle, that i consistently shoot 2 moa with iron sights. Will i be able to shoot, consistently, those same 2moa with the Cyclopes on it? Considering the fact that same head positions, due to the nature of the AK, is very likely will not be achieved?

Or maybe another way to put this - does it offer anything over the red dot, other than being beneficial to those with astigmatism?
Yes you should achieve equal if not better groups with this optic

Trust me man you are over thinking the whole head position vs paralax issue now if your shooting from an awkward position and your head is off to the side the yeah the parallax will screw with you a bit but as far the minuscule changes that occur from your firing a round then putting your rifle back on the target you just won't notice especially with an intermediate cartridge

Does it have anything over a red dot? Yeah a reticle that wolnt disappear if the optic has an issue, it will likely have way better glass clarity then alot and then the whole astigmatism issue ofcourse

Even with my mild astigmatism I dont plan on replacing a red dot with this on a "go to" rifle but I'd still like to pick one up and she how I like it and I expect I will
Trvrswsr1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:05 AM   #213
jonjon

AKaholic #: 176916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre5G View Post
I know you have a lot of cool stuff so Iíll take your word.
Iíll check them out then. I wonder if the one I have is defective and the other ones were just older and crappy cheapos.

Iíll check them out then Itís been about 2 years. I canít stand my 1-6 power ACSS because the battery life is atrocious and is only Red on the last 2 levels of brightness in the desert. itís not a true 1x, and the reticle isnít aligned with the scope rings. My friend had a Primary Arms on an AR that had budget optic tint.
Everyone has had something like this....something all the cool guys say is the shit and when you try it - huge turd sandwich. I had low expectations when I picked up me first one....and was pleasantly surprised. Anyway, take a fresh look and make up your mind yourself. I have my own example - TA-33. I used to hear how ďfreakin awesomeĒ they were. ďLike a red-dotĒ etc,etc. I love the 31. I love an Aimpoint. M4, pro,Micro.

So I spend MY money for a 33....huge boner killer. I can work it, but far from my favorite optic.
jonjon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:11 AM   #214
jonjon

AKaholic #: 176916

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Mike View Post
Oh hey guys, what's goin' in in this thr-- lawd!

Your friendly local PA marketing shill has officially joined the AK files.

If ya'll have any questions about our stuff, ping me, I'll give honest answers if I know them. If any of you hang out on AR15.com I'm PA_Mike there as well.

One thing I noticed just skimming this thread-- we gave an estimate of 11-ish ounces early during the prototype phase, but the final weight of the production product is listed at 9.7 ounces. That's still almost double what a micro-dot weighs but this optic has a lot more glass in it. The glass weighs more than any other component including the metal body, so there's not much more we can do to trim the fat.
Be prepared for incoming. The Files is full of ĎA-holesí...but theyíre not pussies. Totally different than ARFCOM. I love it, but sensitive types donít. Your not...but FYI.
jonjon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:34 AM   #215
PA_Mike

AKaholic #: 197359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
^ PA Mike

1.) Does the KAC aimpoint battery cap work with the cyclops?
2.) What is the estimated battery life on it?

Thanks
1.) No clue. I guess we need to buy one and try it out. But, Aimpoint hates us, a LOT, and we certainly don't intentionally design stuff like battery cap threads to be compatible with their stuff. It's a "please don't sue us" thing, I think.

2.) Battery life is officially listed at 3,000 hours on a median setting (5 or 6 out of 11). Compared to a micro dot, that sucks. Compared to some other prism scopes out there, it's pretty decent. One thing is for sure, you don't want to leave these on while sitting in the safe like you can with a micro dot.

Illuminating an etched reticle is just a whole different ballgame than projecting a masked LED off of a reflective piece of glass. I don't think the tech exists at ANY price point to extend prism scope battery life to red dot levels.

The Trijicon TA02 runs a relatively huge AA battery and they are still only rated at 12,000 hours on setting #4, and that's with Trijicon doing the very best they can on a $1500 optic.

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/produ...3.php?pid=ta02
PA_Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:07 AM   #216
PA_Mike

Quote:
Welll....
How about telling us what is it like to shoot this thing while mounted on an AK?

Placing optic on an AR and achieve advertised results with it is a no brainer. AK on other hand is a different animal, it tends to muscle with you after every shot.
So lets say i have a rifle, that i consistently shoot 2 moa with iron sights. Will i be able to shoot, consistently, those same 2moa with the Cyclopes on it? Considering the fact that same head positions, due to the nature of the AK, is very likely will not be achieved?

Or maybe another way to put this - does it offer anything over the red dot, other than being beneficial to those with astigmatism?
MAKAK47 is probably better suited to answer this question than I am, he's trying his out on a SAM7SF in 7.62x39. The only AK I have a side rail on is my SBR AK74SU in 5.45, it has a JMACS brake and doesn't recoil at all. Much less recoil than my M4gery, LOL.

If you have a rifle you can shoot 2 MOA with irons then yes, I would expect you to be able to achieve 2 MOA with Cyclops as well. I think that's a reasonable expectation and if you are getting better groups with iron sights than with a 1x optic, something is wrong. This is because, at a minimum, the focal plane of the point of aim you are using is much more closely aligned with the target than with iron sights. The parallax on this scope is set for 100 yards, so yeah, if you are trying to make 400 yard shots with the BDC in this 1x scope, parallax is going to be one of the challenges you have to deal with. But it's not as bad as having your point of aim one foot in front of your eyes while the target lies 100 or more yards away. It's still an improvement. To be fair, a red dot has this exact same advantage over irons, since the dot is focused at "infinity" and if you have good eyes the dot should seem to be "painted on the target" at the target's distance.

PLUS, in Cyclops the point of aim is a chevron. The cool thing about a chevron is, it can be bigger than a 2 MOA dot in overall size to grab your eye faster, but for precision you use the chevron tip, which gives you an infinitely small point of aim that never obscures the part of the target you are trying to hit. When I sight in irons, I like a "flat tire" or "lollipop" sight picture where most of the target is actually above the front sight. I hate covering up the thing I'm aiming at with the front sight, how is that consistent or accurate? It sucks! Same way when I'm running my 3x magnifier behind my microdot. The dot appears 3x larger (it isn't larger of course, it's the same size but just magnified 3x) and all of a sudden on a steel torso target at 200 yards it's like I'm aiming with a basketball that covers up almost the whole torso. With a chevron tip, if the etched reticle is nicely done you can get a really fine sight picture no matter what. Of course we didn't invent the chevron, anyone who owns a Mauser K98 with original iron sights knows all about this sight picture.

Our reticle also features a bold "horseshoe" ring around the chevron that really helps for speed up close. You just center the target inside the horseshoe and fire, super fast. It's devastating on plate racks and clay pigeons at 5-25 yards. The outer edges of the horseshoe also fucntion as moving target leads. If we said that we had calibrated this optic for tactical use, i.e. shooting at people, the factory in China would be unable to export them to us, since it would fall under military hardware under their laws. So, this scope is NOT calibrated for shooting at enemy troops. The moving target leads and range estimation bars below are calibrated for a 5'10" tall deer, measuring 18" from shoulder to shoulder, and sprinting at an average of 8.6 mph while carrying a weapon. Got it?

Moving target leads, BDC, and range estimation are all reticle features you don't get with a 2 MOA dot. The other application I really like this scope for is home defense (against DEER, ok? Home invading deer). If I have a red dot set to a medium brightness so it won't ruin my eyes sensitivity to darkness, but then I light up my living room with the 600 lumen scout light on my rifle, the red dot washes out, I lose contrast. If I crank up the red dot to maximum and leave it like that, then not only do I murder the batteries but I also lose my "night eyes" if I look through it before using white light. With Cyclops, I can crank the illumination to a proper low light setting (unfortunately it doesn't have the battery life to leave it on for five years like a microdot anyway), and look through it using ambient light in relative darkness. Then if I have to hit the white light, sure enough that illumination washes out-- BUT, because the reticle is etched, I see the silhouette of the reticle anyway and still get good contrast on target, like when you use the white light on a handgun and you can't see the night sights anymore but it doesn't matter because you get the outline of your sight picture anyway. In that way, this is more flexible to changing light conditions than a red dot is.

We aren't advertising Cyclops as a red dot killer. It's not somehow "better" than a T1 or T2 for $239. But it has unique abilities that a lot of shooters will value, especially the guys with astigmatism or other eye issues, and it's a good product to have in the overall line up. We aren't going to discontinue making our full size 30mm red dot or our three micro dots because we invented Cyclops. But everyone I've shown this thing to so far really really likes it.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:43 AM   #217
Orpheus
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 177936

Quote:
1.) No clue. I guess we need to buy one and try it out. But, Aimpoint hates us, a LOT, and we certainly don't intentionally design stuff like battery cap threads to be compatible with their stuff. It's a "please don't sue us" thing, I think.

2.) Battery life is officially listed at 3,000 hours on a median setting (5 or 6 out of 11). Compared to a micro dot, that sucks. Compared to some other prism scopes out there, it's pretty decent. One thing is for sure, you don't want to leave these on while sitting in the safe like you can with a micro dot.

Illuminating an etched reticle is just a whole different ballgame than projecting a masked LED off of a reflective piece of glass. I don't think the tech exists at ANY price point to extend prism scope battery life to red dot levels.

The Trijicon TA02 runs a relatively huge AA battery and they are still only rated at 12,000 hours on setting #4, and that's with Trijicon doing the very best they can on a $1500 optic.

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/produ...3.php?pid=ta02
Thats all understandable. 3k hours is pretty good all things considered. It might not be a "leave it on all year" spec but for someone like me who does dryfire twice a week, its enough margin for a doofus like me who forgets to turn it off.
Orpheus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:16 PM   #218
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -
Contributor

AKaholic #: 157162

PA makes some seriously good shit at awesome prices, not quite sure why people feel the need to be negative about shit.......this is simply another offering in their lineup....I have no use for it as of now, but it doesnt mean I wont in the future, so its nice that its there
Sublimeon24s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:59 PM   #219
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 171780

Great write ups PA Mike, do you have examples of Aimpoint hating you?
Old 08-09-2018, 08:58 PM   #220
Bacon&AlcoholDistributor
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 183128

I'll get a tan one........ once it comes out.
Bacon&AlcoholDistributor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:29 AM   #221
PA_Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKAK47 View Post
Great write ups PA Mike, do you have examples of Aimpoint hating you?
Not officially, and nothing I'm willing to say in a public forum where it can be copy/pasted around the internet beyond my control.

But, remember 15 years ago when your choices in red dots were $49 TASCO units on Weaver mounts, or $600 military issue units, and nothing in between? Some certain folks calls that "the good old days".

And that's all I have to say about that.
#ForrestGump
Old 08-10-2018, 12:21 PM   #222
Whiphub

AKaholic #: 196626

Will this cowitness with iron sights with a TWS top cover? Is there a mount low enough?
Whiphub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:32 PM   #223
PA_Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiphub View Post
Will this cowitness with iron sights with a TWS top cover? Is there a mount low enough?
We've played with cowitnessing on AR15s and although some guys say they can get it to work, more or less, I don't recommend it. I personally can't get it to work, I think you're gonna have a parallax error issue because even though it's a 1x, you are looking at the rear sight with your naked eye and looking at the front sight through a prism scope arrangement with parallax fixed at 100 yards, except now your point of aim isn't anywhere near 100 yards, it's like 1 foot in front of the scope. Parallax issues GENERALLY are making a mountain out of a molehill, I always sigh and shake my head when guys who shoot 4 or 6 MOA start worry-warting online about parallax. But this is an exception, it's too extreme to have parallax set at 100 and your front point of aim so close. What it means practically is that if you CAN get co-witnessing to work for you, you have to sight in the rifle's irons with the prism scope installed, and if you remove the prism scope, the irons aren't sighted in for the naked eye anymore. It's one or the other.

And, I'm not sure why we would want to cowitness this thing anyway. It has an etched reticle that is visible in black without batteries or illumination turned off. It's always there and it's a finer point of aim than the iron sights. So, in what situation do we want to use the iron sights while looking through this optic? If the reticle has been somehow obscured, like the glass was destroyed or you have a ton of mud clogging up the objective lens, then you won't be able to see through the scope to the front iron sight anyway. If you CAN see through the scope, why wouldn't you use the reticle? I can't come up with a scenario where iron sights save the day here like they do when your red dot battery goes belly up and the dot just disappears.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:20 PM   #224
Whiphub

Thanks for the reply Mike. Two more questions: 1. can you view the irons on an AK under/through the factory mount 2. Are there any coupon codes active right now?

Quote:
We've played with cowitnessing on AR15s and although some guys say they can get it to work, more or less, I don't recommend it. I personally can't get it to work, I think you're gonna have a parallax error issue because even though it's a 1x, you are looking at the rear sight with your naked eye and looking at the front sight through a prism scope arrangement with parallax fixed at 100 yards, except now your point of aim isn't anywhere near 100 yards, it's like 1 foot in front of the scope. Parallax issues GENERALLY are making a mountain out of a molehill, I always sigh and shake my head when guys who shoot 4 or 6 MOA start worry-warting online about parallax. But this is an exception, it's too extreme to have parallax set at 100 and your front point of aim so close. What it means practically is that if you CAN get co-witnessing to work for you, you have to sight in the rifle's irons with the prism scope installed, and if you remove the prism scope, the irons aren't sighted in for the naked eye anymore. It's one or the other.

And, I'm not sure why we would want to cowitness this thing anyway. It has an etched reticle that is visible in black without batteries or illumination turned off. It's always there and it's a finer point of aim than the iron sights. So, in what situation do we want to use the iron sights while looking through this optic? If the reticle has been somehow obscured, like the glass was destroyed or you have a ton of mud clogging up the objective lens, then you won't be able to see through the scope to the front iron sight anyway. If you CAN see through the scope, why wouldn't you use the reticle? I can't come up with a scenario where iron sights save the day here like they do when your red dot battery goes belly up and the dot just disappears.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:09 PM   #225
PA_Mike

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Mike. Two more questions: 1. can you view the irons on an AK under/through the factory mount 2. Are there any coupon codes active right now?
1. No, the mount isn't designed as a see-through. There's a bunch of aluminum that would definitely occlude the front sight. However, as pointed out before, the body of the scope is Brand A T1/H1 compatible, so to me the best AK mounting solution would be an RS Regulate side rail mount with the T1 option installed, and yanking the modular mount off of the base of Cyclops and mounting it to the RS Regulate T1 plate. That's gonna get you as low as possible and hopefully most shooters won't need to mess with a cheek riser on their AK stocks to use it. If you want to shoot with irons, just yank the whole mount, the RS Regulate stuff holds zero really really well.

2. We are testing some coupon codes today but they aren't active yet. We haven't done site wide coupon codes for a long time due to technical issues, but we are about to bring them back because so many customers love them so much. We ARE running a promotion right now where if you buy any Primary Arms branded optic, we'll zero out the shipping for your entire order. So, for the free shipping fans, you can buy a Cyclops and, oh, something heavy like a 22" HBAR .224 Valkyrie upper and a bunch of ammo, and get free shipping on the whole deal.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:19 PM   #226
Larryphoto
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 170271

Order placed, and I tossed in some of your good deals on Lancer mags to go with it.
Larryphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:06 PM   #227
Cole Dedhand
A Militia of One

AKaholic #: 186633

Tiborosaurus Rex Review.

Direct link for those like me that can't see the embed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVOrWa0HvAk

Old 08-14-2018, 11:29 AM   #228
Larryphoto
Curio & Relic

I got mine yesterday, the clear caps from my Aimpoint Micro almost fit but don't Anyone find clear caps for theirs? Rains a lot here in FL, I want clear caps.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:45 AM   #229
Whiphub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryphoto View Post
I got mine yesterday, the clear caps from my Aimpoint Micro almost fit but don't Anyone find clear caps for theirs? Rains a lot here in FL, I want clear caps.
Do the Aimpoint micro battery caps fit?
Old 08-14-2018, 05:12 PM   #230
Romy_G

AKaholic #: 195355

Quote:
Not officially, and nothing I'm willing to say in a public forum where it can be copy/pasted around the internet beyond my control.

But, remember 15 years ago when your choices in red dots were $49 TASCO units on Weaver mounts, or $600 military issue units, and nothing in between? Some certain folks calls that "the good old days".

And that's all I have to say about that.
#ForrestGump
15 years ago I was young, newly married, with a house payment. I remember the $49 Tasco red dots well. They would flicker during recoil, they didn't hold zero for more than a few hundred rounds, and they ate batteries.

I've been an Aimpoint guy for years. I've passed on your red dots up until last year when you sold some of the advanced micro dot blems, the ones with incorrectly machined bases, for $70. I've been trying to burn one up on an Ultimak since and haven't been able to. I kept one Aimpoint micro and sold another and used the funds to buy a few more of the non blemished advanced micro dots.

I have to come clean though. The blems were limited to one per household so I ordered one from my home address in my name and one in my wife's name to my work address. Hopefully the statue of limitations is up, but I feel much better getting it off my chest. The truth really does set you free.

Keep bringing quality optics to market at affordable prices, we appreciate it.
As for all the traditional douchebags that seem to think people care to read your thoughts about the nostaglia, reliability and mistique of good ol' steel and wood - we don't. We simply don't care. Go take your BP meds, Dulcolax suppository, eat a flaming turd and take a nap.
Romy_G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:03 PM   #231
Larryphoto
Curio & Relic

Default lens caps

Quote:
Do the Aimpoint micro battery caps fit?

I dont know, I was trying the lens caps
Old 08-15-2018, 08:40 AM   #232
paulgvb

AKaholic #: 172537

I went to order one on the day PA released their one day coupon code and oos. Frustrating.
paulgvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:18 AM   #233
Orpheus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryphoto View Post
If there are standard butler creek style caps that fit you can carve out the center and glue in some clear plastic.
Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM   #234
PA_Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgvb View Post
I went to order one on the day PA released their one day coupon code and oos. Frustrating.
We are looking to have more black ones in stock next week, and the FDE are now in stock as well. If you want a black one, when they come into stock, give us a ring at 713-344-9600 or email info@primaryarms.com and just politely say hey, I was trying to do this on the day you guys ran the coupon code deal and I got stymied, can you help a brother out?

If I know the CS guys they will try to hook you up somehow if they can. It's worth a try.
Old Yesterday, 07:41 PM   #235
BoatGuyFL

AKaholic #: 173277

This has been a amazing thread of info. I was heavily leaning towards a UH-1 red dot for my 10.5 pistol then fell down the utube rabbit hole last night and started watching cyclops vids.

Just finished reading all this. I apologize in advance for what may be really basic questions but I'm not very educated on this stuff.

So a red dot is a little more easier to 'point and click' regardless of your cheek weld, because if you can see the dot on the target, you hitting the target?

And with a prism optic you have to be more mindful of cheek weld and just because you can see the chevron doesnt mean your hitting what the chevron has painted??

I'm trying to decide on an optic for 100yd or less on a 10.5 pistol and playing fantasyland high speed operator in my head I want Muh 'fast target acquisition in a cqb situation' for 5'10" wild Deer..... because I dont know if ya'll have heard, but, those four legged bastards are starting to commit home invasions.

I dont own a single red dot. Do own a PA 1x8 acss on a AR, and a PA 3xPrism acss on my Opap. Had them at range today. The reticles are wildly simple to use and accurate.

So far the 3x prism has used up a battery that went dead because i left it on for 3 days, and it was the original battery that came with it from 3+ years ago.
The 1x8, I don't know if its me or not, but it feels like maybe the 1x8 is starting to fish eye a little bit. I don't know if optics will do that over time or, again, it could just be my eyes, or the fact it hit just a hair under 100degrees today and I was blinking sweat out of my eyes..

So does a reddot offer a little more speed 'in theory' over a prism, for say a non-operator to justify spending double for the uh1?? Cuz Im slowly starting to think perhaps not... plus Id have all matching optics...
BoatGuyFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:49 AM   #236
Garik
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 179998

If you’re already used to scopes then it wouldn’t really matter tbh. People will blow it out of proportion because it is the internet.

This isn’t a new concept, its been done before. The only difference is PA is entering the market and has their own reticle for it. Is it better than other 1x prisms? That’s up to the person buying em. All I can say is I’m really impressed with their raptor scope, and think they’ll be just as impressive with their 1x prism if I decided to get one.

But tbh, outside of astigmatism and just not wanting to rely on batteries, a red dot might be better.
Garik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:49 AM   #237
Zemlyak
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 183159

What is the point of it if no magnification, could anyone explain? I am with astigmatism and with prescription glasses I see no problems with red dots.
Old Today, 09:43 AM   #238
Garik
Veteran Member

As just said, there's also the fact that the reticle is there even without the battery.

But there's also people with astigmatism who don't wear prescription glasses.
Old Today, 01:18 PM   #239
Zemlyak
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garik View Post
As just said, there's also the fact that the reticle is there even without the battery.

But there's also people with astigmatism who don't wear prescription glasses.
It is quiet silly to shot without prescription glasses if you need them, but if happen I will use irons. Also batteries is nothing this days, there is also solar based red dots which is available. Prizm optics is causing distortion by nature, "fish eye" effect is highly noticeable with prizm, that is physics and no cure for it.
Old Today, 01:50 PM   #240
ddnc
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174853

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zemlyak View Post
What is the point of it if no magnification, could anyone explain? I am with astigmatism and with prescription glasses I see no problems with red dots.
I believe that is the issue. Your vision is corrected and with your glasses on the astigmatism is treated and thusly not a problem. I assume your myopic? As one approaches 40 the eye simply loses its ability to accommodate. If you have had LASIK or refractory surgery this process is accelerated and magnified which will necessate reading glasses as the correction produces hyperopia, decreased lubricity and halos/ starbursts and photosensitivity.
My vision is 20/10-15, post LASIK. Wore glasses and contacts since I was 10, myopia. Uncorrected was 20/200. Now I need glasses for anything up to three feet from my face or else it is blurred, primarily print but that includes working with my hands. You don’t realize that amount of things one does within the focal field.
Anyway, an optic with a diopter as prismatic optics possess, allow the user to adjust the reticle to sharp clarity while maintaining the focused distal feild in the same visual plane. I would venture to say you have to use a diopter to bring into clarity any image on binoculars or the reticule on a rifle scope, yes? When you do that, see where the diopter ring stops to make that image clear. I will bet it is negative or positive and on a scope, I would guess it takes several complete revolutions of the eyepiece to focus the reticle. Depending on the distance from the eye, in my case, RDs may produce a sharp image or less than crisp dot and this can be amplified with green reticles. With ACOG and similar optics with out a diopter the reticle is slightly blurry. My TA31 reticle is ever so slightly blurry. With reading glasses it’s crystal clear but anything past that is extremely blurry.
ddnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:55 PM   #241
Garik
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zemlyak View Post
It is quiet silly to shot without prescription glasses if you need them, but if happen I will use irons. Also batteries is nothing this days, there is also solar based red dots which is available. Prizm optics is causing distortion by nature, "fish eye" effect is highly noticeable with prizm, that is physics and no cure for it.
That notion only works if everyone with astigmatism NEEDS glasses to do anything.
Old Today, 07:31 PM   #242
Orpheus
Veteran Member

Quote:
That notion only works if everyone with astigmatism NEEDS glasses to do anything.
^
This man gets it.
Old Today, 08:30 PM   #243
Zemlyak
Veteran Member

Quote:
To do anything - no, I drive without glasses day time for example. But to shot I wear my prescriptions with any scope or red dot anyway.