Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gear & Accessories

Notices

Old 01-05-2017, 08:26 PM   #106
ouroboros
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 172555

I have today and tomorrow off work so I'm out right now sitting at a fire for another overnight near Red River Gorge, KY to have my first snow outing of the year... only 1-3" though. Temperatures are about a high of 23 and low of 15 or so Fahrenheit. Got in late, around 3pm, so I'm camping near my car and will head out in the morning for a hiking loop of some kind. I'll update when I'm home with pictures, etc.

They must have put new cell towers out here or something, I have service. I am up near the ridge tops though.
ouroboros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:48 PM   #107
ouroboros
Veteran Member

Back home. A few photos from the campsite. These were taken just after I got the shelter set up and before I lit the fire not long before dark (maybe 5:30p.m. 1/5/17).

The low overnight went down to about 9 degrees Fahrenheit with the windchill at about -3 Fahrenheit. Colder and with more snow than was on the forecast... but it's the mountains, so it's basically to be expected. My site was pretty well insulated from the wind though. I got a lot of snow from about 8pm to 11pm.

It took longer than normal to get the fire going. It rained a few days ago and then froze so the wood took some time to dry. A 2" by 6" resin soaked piece of fatwood got things going though.

I didn't get any photos from my next morning hike. My camera batter died... and my phone battery died too since I spent all night taking advantage of my full phone service watching YouTube, etc (great time communing with nature, right?)

Old 01-07-2017, 03:21 AM   #108
Bad-Element
Virtus Sola Nobilitas
Vendor

AKaholic #: 162796

Great pics man! That looks awesome! I haven't found time to get out lately though I'm working in some bitter ass cold! Was-13 this am :0

I heard it might rain this weekend wtf?! So I may try and squeeze a hike in for my sanity sake before it gets wet.

Lol at the cell service I do the same thing and when it doesn't work I get happy sometimes
MP WTS Custom Mags
EmailNick@badelementco.com
Bad-Element is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:26 PM   #109
Eric5371

AKaholic #: 169565

I have a set of the smart wool merino wool base layer and they are very nice, but spendy!

You guys using any other merino wool base layer that performs well but less spendy?
Eric5371 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:49 PM   #110
ouroboros
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5371 View Post
I have a set of the smart wool merino wool base layer and they are very nice, but spendy!

You guys using any other merino wool base layer that performs well but less spendy?
I have this one.

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/produ...page_recommend

Finnish company... but they ship to USA at something like a flat rate of $9.99. The link is for a merino t-shirt but they make boxers, long johns, hoodies, etc in merino wool.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:12 AM   #111
Lcpl1812

AKaholic #: 155898

Little walk in the west desert last weekend. It was 4 when we got there but warmed up to about 20-25. I typically hike with a fleece and a under Armory shirt, poly pros under my pants. I keep a gortex for wind and rain, extra fleece and a woobie in the pack. If I carry a pack I'll have a bivi sack too. I tend to just keep moving so I don't freeze.

My rabbit hunting rig is an SSO nuker with 12L SSO pack. For elk I use an SSO Smersh with the 12L. I've got my choice of larger packs from Eberlystock to Max to ever SSO bober-m. I have way too much gear, piles of SSO.

I need to get a better sleeping bag before I do over night in that crap though. Cold weather sleeping bags for hiking are a pain to figure out.

Lcpl1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:14 AM   #112
Lcpl1812

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
Back home. A few photos from the campsite. These were taken just after I got the shelter set up and before I lit the fire not long before dark (maybe 5:30p.m. 1/5/17).

The low overnight went down to about 9 degrees Fahrenheit with the windchill at about -3 Fahrenheit. Colder and with more snow than was on the forecast... but it's the mountains, so it's basically to be expected. My site was pretty well insulated from the wind though. I got a lot of snow from about 8pm to 11pm.

It took longer than normal to get the fire going. It rained a few days ago and then froze so the wood took some time to dry. A 2" by 6" resin soaked piece of fatwood got things going though.

I didn't get any photos from my next morning hike. My camera batter died... and my phone battery died too since I spent all night taking advantage of my full phone service watching YouTube, etc (great time communing with nature, right?)

What hammock is that? That's awesome.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:29 AM   #113
Bad-Element
Virtus Sola Nobilitas
Vendor

Lcp howdy neighbor!

Sweet set up! I don't understand half the jargon but you are no amateur that's for sure!!

Thanks for sharing man
MP WTS Custom Mags
Old 01-09-2017, 01:45 AM   #114
Lcpl1812

Looks like your out in the basin, spent a lot of my early years running around out there. Most of my extended family is out there, your probably married to my cousin, lol.

Kosea, a member here, keeps taking my money and sending me gear from Russia. I have SSO Sposn gear coming out my ears, it's good stuff.

I need to get a tag and come out for for something with claws.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:44 PM   #115
ouroboros
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcpl1812 View Post
What hammock is that? That's awesome.
Hammock: Dutchware Gear 11' Netless Hammock, 1.0 Hexon Fabric
http://www.dutchwaregear.com/11-ft.-...mmocks-en.html

Tarp: Hammock Gear Cuben Fiber Hex Tarp
http://www.dutchwaregear.com/cuben-f...mock-gear.html

Under Quilt: Hammock Gear Incubator -10 Degree Fahrenheit (basically the same one linked below but with a little more down insulation)
http://www.dutchwaregear.com/dutch-e...nderquilt.html

Top Quilt: Enlightened Equipment Revelation 20 Degree Fahrenheit
http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation/
Old 01-09-2017, 11:40 PM   #116
Bad-Element
Virtus Sola Nobilitas
Vendor

Quote:
Looks like your out in the basin, spent a lot of my early years running around out there. Most of my extended family is out there, your probably married to my cousin, lol.

Kosea, a member here, keeps taking my money and sending me gear from Russia. I have SSO Sposn gear coming out my ears, it's good stuff.

I need to get a tag and come out for for something with claws.
Yep! Haha on all accounts except the cousin part my wife's family retired out here and some other extended her was well. It was a total fate that brought us here.

Love it though! And yes I've been buying from kosea for awhile get and obzor if you don't have one.

By all means of you are coming out here please hit me up we can hit the trail of the huge range
MP WTS Custom Mags
Old 01-10-2017, 12:02 AM   #117
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 169733

Beautiful pictures Bad (and Lcpl too!). I've done plenty of fair weather camping in UT, but only just started my cold weather adventures in the Uintas. Still too much of an under-equipped wuss to brave the conditions you're venturing in!

Had my first real taste of it this year elk hunting in the south slope, I need better gear and get in better shape for sure.
Avatar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:59 AM   #118
Bad-Element
Virtus Sola Nobilitas
Vendor

Thx dude and nice! I'm right near the south slope an scant wait to start hunting elk/deer here. Still getting used to the system and I've been way to busy
MP WTS Custom Mags
Old 01-10-2017, 01:02 AM   #119
Lcpl1812

Quote:

Under Quilt: Hammock Gear Incubator -10 Degree Fahrenheit (basically the same one linked below but with a little more down insulation)

That's not cheap, but that is some good shit!
Old 01-10-2017, 03:25 PM   #120
ouroboros
Veteran Member

Quote:
That's not cheap, but that is some good shit!
I use it often, so it was worth it... and I didn't buy it all at once. The nice thing is, a plain hammock itself is pretty affordable...

Any tarp can work to go over top of it to block wind and rain, even the cheap blue/camo ones available from Walmart or Harbor Freight.

You can use a sleeping pad or closed cell foam pad instead of an underquilt and a sleeping bag will work as a top quilt.

If you find that hammocking is the way to go for you, then you can upgrade your gear one piece at a time.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:02 PM   #121
bounce19712
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 8142

great Pics! thanks for posting.

Your revolution is over, Mr. Lebowski. Condolences. The bums lost. My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski? The bums will always lose!

temp ban award winner: ka64
Posting a .gif of a Male Motor boating a woman's ass/vag from behind. No true nudity due to camera angle, still a sex act in the general forums...
bounce19712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:04 PM   #122
ouroboros
Veteran Member

^ Nice, and that looks like a nice flat area. I haven't built a shelter in a while, I should do that again soon.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:38 AM   #123
tcb

AKaholic #: 171422

What do you guys like for boots when it's that cold?? Any additional ideas on good places to purchase wool garments?
tcb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:57 PM   #124
high powered hk ar47
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 166795

Great thread, bumping with more cold weather hiking oc

Spooky avalanche area

Below the treeline
high powered hk ar47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:59 AM   #125
Cornpone
Banned

AKaholic #: 181728

Great thread, I don't know how I missed it. I didn't get out much this Winter. I took the hammock out and camped a couple nights to hunt deer in Western PA and once down in Southern OH but that was about it. Thanks for sharing. This has motivated me to plan some hikes and camping for next Winter.
Cornpone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:59 PM   #126
Bad-Element
Virtus Sola Nobilitas
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb View Post
What do you guys like for boots when it's that cold?? Any additional ideas on good places to purchase wool garments?
I always liked my gortex type boots in extreme cold with a liner. They are about 1 size bigger to accommodate the liner. It's like a built in padded sock but I didn't do a lot of hiking in it.

I usually just wear two pairs of synthetic or wool socks with my boots and don't go in very deep snow if I can help it.

I haven't vermin weeks and the same old excuses of too busy have hindered things but we have been getting hammered with snow and it's easy to get stuck or slide in this stuff.

Utah snow is super slick sometimes even I noticed it was like lubed ice!
MP WTS Custom Mags
Old 01-28-2017, 11:22 AM   #127
ouroboros
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb View Post
My environment in the winter is generally between 0-35 degrees Fahrenheit with rarely ever more than a foot of snow, usually no snow or 1-6 inches, or a snow/rain/ice mix... so in other words, below freezing and often wet or muddy. I also hike and camp in hilly, rocky terrain where creek crossings can be fairly common.

I haven't ever found myself needing snow shoes or crampons here, so I don't use those.

I do use a pair of Outdoor Research Rocky Mountain High Gaiters if it's wet/snowy.
https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Resea...ers&th=1&psc=1

As for winter boots, my preferred cold weather boot (for my environment!) are my Meindl Perfekt 10" boots.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...kt%26CQ_st%3Db

Since those boots have 400 grams of thinsulate insulation, I generally only wear a light/medium wool sock in them.

If it's a little warmer, I have a pair of Alico Summit Light Hiking Boots (Sierra Trading Post sells some Alico boots on clearance. All good products. The light version that I have is sold out but they have the regulars, just heavier.)
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ali...ng=s~alico-%2F

The Alico's are leather outer / leather inner with no insulation so depending on the temperature, I'll wear either a light wool sock or a heavy wool sock.

I also treat all of my leather boots with Obenauf's Heavy Duty Leather Protector.
http://www.obenaufs.com/category-s/111.htm
Old 03-03-2017, 09:32 PM   #128
Bad-Element
Virtus Sola Nobilitas
Vendor

MP WTS Custom Mags
Old 03-03-2017, 11:54 PM   #129
Lcpl1812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-Element View Post

The weather was so freaking nice today, 50 out my way.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:26 AM   #130
Bad-Element
Virtus Sola Nobilitas
Vendor

Dang! Yep the show was melting again here heard we may get more Sunday. I've been sick and haven't been able to get out but I'm at least doing a little hike tomorrow it's supposed to be in the mid 40's and sunny finally!
MP WTS Custom Mags
Old 03-05-2017, 08:15 PM   #131
Bad-Element
Virtus Sola Nobilitas
Vendor

went on about 6 mi hike, just outside of town. State land that joins up with blm, indian and forest. About half the hike was pretty demanding with some streches of dirt road/atv trails that had less snow.
coyotes were calling and the eagles are still out, this one was feeding on some road kill quite majestically

At the midway point i decided to go up the tallest hill nearby that connect to the nearest mountain with a series of foot hills, ridgebacks. As I was goin up this one I found some interesting tracks.

interesting prints I found here and forgot to get a god pick of the print/ trail from a zoomed out shot but i had heard a strange puff noise earlier and the site of the tracks was very close quarters in a juniper forest on the steep slope with little visibility so I didnt stick around too long and I hiked up to the tallest point but didnt see anything.

so its a bigfoot right??
:P
MP WTS Custom Mags
Old 03-24-2017, 10:57 AM   #132
Bad-Element
Virtus Sola Nobilitas
Vendor

Well above 8000 ft they are still getting hammered with snow. This last storm dropped up to a foot and a half of snow. Pretty common for the Unitas and the Rockies though.

This res had argin sheet of ice and now it's free.

Down in the valley temps are thawing out and we've seen 60-70's before this last rainy/cold front came in.

Check out my new sister thread warm weather hiking and let keep the bushcraft and outdoors talk going.
> http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showth...90#post3927190
MP WTS Custom Mags

Last edited by Bad-Element; 03-24-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:36 PM   #133
Bad-Element
Virtus Sola Nobilitas
Vendor

Well its that time again!

Yep we had our first snow in the Basin a couple weejs ago. And though the peaks are still white it melted down in the valleys and we are now enjoying unseasonably warm weather. But the snow was a taste of the coming season. Of course I had to go out and play in it

Anybody getting their cold weather on??
Old 11-23-2017, 06:45 PM   #134
Fjordforder
Indestructible, not invulnerable!

AKaholic #: 175530

I got no notification that this thread had received an update.

Nails fix your damn website

THE ENTIRE KIM DYNASTY IS A LONG, LONG LINE OF PUNK ASS BITCHES

Be the Mutant DEVO wants you to be!

7.62x39, 5.45x39, 7.62x51, 7.62x54r, 5.56x45, 12x76, 9x19, .22WMR, 7.5x54

Fjordforder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:09 PM   #135
Rearden Steel

AKaholic #: 188504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-Element View Post

Early fall in the Unitas/foothills. These guys are shorter and curvy in this spot I've seen mooseand hundreds of elk within a quarter mile
That area would be a perfect spot to build a primitave shelter with a bed off the ground. Looks like your shelter resources are scarce there so anywhere there are trees is a valuable asset, i would build shelters along your route and off the trail 20 or so yards. You can hone your bushcraft skills and learn more about the available resources in that imeadate area.
Rearden Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:15 PM   #136
high powered hk ar47
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 166795

some pictures from this month

high powered hk ar47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:25 PM   #137
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

Quote:

Yes with a hammock you need a lot of insulation underneath you, or it will suck all of warmth out of you like a cold water bed.

The cold ground will too, but it is usually requires less insulation.

I was building two story cabins way up north.

We tried extending the rooms upstairs over the front.

The heat was a wood stove on the ground floor.

The extended area would stay freezing cold.

The only way we had to fix it was to heavily insulate the extended area.

When the second floor walls were even with the ground floor, the wood stove would keep it nice and warm.

I designed some Winter tents that have the same material area as small hammock tents and when made of lightweight nylon, fold to about the size of a box of mac and cheese.

I think I started with a hammock tent of 168 sq ft and ended up with 166 sq ft of material for my one man tent.

So right around the same amount of material.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:31 AM   #138
Bad-Element
Virtus Sola Nobilitas
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by high powered hk ar47 View Post
some pictures from this month

Nice pics frosty!
MP WTS Custom Mags
Old 11-24-2017, 01:40 AM   #139
Bad-Element
Virtus Sola Nobilitas
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rearden Steel View Post
That area would be a perfect spot to build a primitave shelter with a bed off the ground. Looks like your shelter resources are scarce there so anywhere there are trees is a valuable asset, i would build shelters along your route and off the trail 20 or so yards. You can hone your bushcraft skills and learn more about the available resources in that imeadate area.
Seems like the Quakies and pines start around 7-8000 feets. The mountains to the north run of my AO from SLC into Oregon. The spot in this pic is pretty cool. I jumped a few moose here. Love the short twisty trees theres two groves of them. Would love to camp there, its right on the edge of a hill I bet the wind would be horrendous.

If you countinue up that riad theres a lake and camp at 10000 feet and a few snaller lakes around it. Just beautiful and packed with game
MP WTS Custom Mags
Old 11-24-2017, 01:18 PM   #140
Bad-Element
Virtus Sola Nobilitas
Vendor

Short clip of the snow day in NE utah
https://instagram.com/p/BbVAyjuhxju/
MP WTS Custom Mags