Notices

Old 12-14-2016, 01:20 AM   #1
Bad-Element
Virtus Sola Nobilitas
Vendor

AKaholic #: 162796
Default Lets talk cold weather hiking

I am getting into hiking more and more.

Any one hike in the mountains or cold places/winter? I could use some tips gear wise. Clothes/ ultra light camping.

feel free to share your ideas/ gear or ways. no need to answer all/only my questions here its alot all at once.

I'm in the inter-mountain west NE Utah near N CO and S WY.

Basically high desert or lower Rockies/uintas is the area ill be in this winter. staying away from the really high stuff until ive worked up more experience and have the right gear.

My workouts a split between hiking/prepping and hunting as i could shoot bunnies or coyotes if I wanted too. Its nice to have my AK come along as its makes good training, plus we have 4-5 heavy predators not mentioning the two legged kind as well.

That said the cold is what would kill you here.

I'm trying to find a good mix of clothes i hike with a backpack so im going to try out a wool base layer.

the main temps I plan to hike in are 0-35 F the next few months. It ca ndip to -20 so i have the fire stuff in the survival kit of course.

In the spring I'll be heading to the mountains in higher altitudes 10-13K vs 6-8K foot hills in the winter. (the basin lower levels are about 6.5K starting out.

Looking at the Gorka for its windproof, water resistant outer layer and warm fleece liner. I'll insulate with a synthetic hoody or a parka liner "chinese underwear". maybe add in a gortex waterproof layer for rain/sleet the VKBO russian level 6 suit looks good.

Base layer I'll be getting merino wool and playing with and without a synthetic second/first layer.

Middle layer Im not really sure about. Thats what im trying to peg.

I have been using a flght suit with synthetics underneath and some outer layers.

I love the fact that im not wearing a belt so chafing on the midsection where pants and belt are is very comfortable. I keep all my stuff in a fanny pack/ backpack and im getting a hill people gear light chest pouch for more cargo room. Getting rid of pants pockets is nice.

just not crazy about the cotton flightsuit. I'm sure there are way better options.

Staying warm hasnt been the issue its staying dry on my torso. I think a second base layer top may help but i read that a pack is going to kill breathability anyways. I may just have to swap the top layers out as I hike.

I've started looking at mid layers like synthetic pants.

Thats clothing questions. I'm leaning towards a hammock/tarp combo not a fan of sleeping bag/pads and tents anymore ive decided. I'm planning going out solo or maybe with a hunting bud until my wife/kids are able to come too then probly back to tents.

feel free to share anything or answer any part of my post. bomus points for links and pics.
MP WTS Custom Mags
EmailNick@badelementco.com

Last edited by Bad-Element; 12-14-2016 at 02:34 AM.
Bad-Element is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:11 AM   #2
Bad-Element
Virtus Sola Nobilitas
Vendor

MP WTS Custom Mags
Old 12-14-2016, 02:13 AM   #3
Bad-Element
Virtus Sola Nobilitas
Vendor

MP WTS Custom Mags
Old 12-14-2016, 02:14 AM   #4
Bad-Element
Virtus Sola Nobilitas
Vendor

MP WTS Custom Mags
Old 12-14-2016, 02:16 AM   #5
Bad-Element
Virtus Sola Nobilitas
Vendor

MP WTS Custom Mags
Old 12-14-2016, 08:25 AM   #6
SAIGA 5.45
Old Dirty Bastard of the Files

AKaholic #: 174648

First thing I am going to say is wolverines?

Second is layering, be able to handle any possible weather conditions in your pack,also keep in mind your exertion levels, change socks whenever you are going to stop for a period, keep fresh dry socks on when not on the move and for long as possible after you start. Last time I hiked in 15 degree weather I enjoyed a pair of waterproof pants and boxers only with a light upper, was the perfect amount of body heat for my exertion levels, with thermals on under it I would sweat to death. So I would only put them on at base camps to keep warm while inactive.

Only things I didn't have that I wish I had were snow shoes and a better stove. In cold snowy weather those two things are worth there weight in gold, granted the snow needs to be deepish, also didn't have a set of gaiters and regretted it.

Look online for cheap trail meals to make at home, some really good ideas for those living out of the backpack for a few days.

I should be back in Jacksonville, putting my spicy man meat into a mother/daughter sandwich, that's what I want- Ashley J. Williams

This is the files, leave your purse at the fucking door.
SAIGA 5.45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:33 AM   #7
Tkessen

AKaholic #: 184855

WOOL garments are you friend. They may be a bit more heavy, but the weight is worth it. 100% wool garments will retain the majority of their heat-trapping ability even when soaking wet. Also, wool can be had cheaply if you look in the right places. Surplus is great. It might not be "tacticool" but I think that now dying of hypothermia is pretty cool in and of itself. Combloc overcoats are great and can be had for extremely low prices. Wool shirts/pants/hats/socks/ect are also relatively easily and cheap to find on the surplus market. Wool also breathes very well, so you can be kept relatively cool while also being kept warm. Can you tell that I love wool? GOOD LUCK!

"I am twisted individual!" -Rob Ski.
Tkessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:12 AM   #8
RMiller
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 170327

The GORKA jackets are great for blocking wind and being waterproof. They definitely need an insulating under layer though. Something breathable.

There's nothing worse than working up a sweat and the sweat getting cold.
RMiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:18 PM   #9
bounce19712
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 8142

light camping is fun... a hike ingress usually is about 3 miles or less. Love to talk more about the gear. in the past much whiskey has been consumed. followed by steak dinner.
I've tried alot of do it yourself gear belts and drag bag combos.

coffeewhiskey and bacon in the morn

good times:

don't burn yer socks:
tough break in period for a dumbass like me for these boots:

hike to the fire fuel spots for camping:

sleeping pad is good for snow:

cloud layer coolness:

x39:

here's my new 600 yard shot, cant wait to setup camp and punch paper for longer distances.
Your revolution is over, Mr. Lebowski. Condolences. The bums lost. My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski? The bums will always lose!

temp ban award winner: ka64
Posting a .gif of a Male Motor boating a woman's ass/vag from behind. No true nudity due to camera angle, still a sex act in the general forums...
bounce19712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:21 PM   #10
Brasky
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 187139

I purchased Under armour "cold gear" base layers when they first came out. Long sleeve shirt and pants. I've used them hunting every year in temps varying from -10F to as warm as 40F. They do a great job of keeping heat in and wicking sweat away from your body so you don't overheat or freeze.

I'm sure other brand will do the same for less though
Brasky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:41 PM   #11
Cypheros
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 171345

1. Do NOT sweat. If you are getting warm, shed a layer. Don't rely on some high-power insulation system...because you can't take it off if you get too warm. Remember, you need clothing during physical exertion (this generating more heat), and times when you won't be exerting yourself.

2. On a related note, understand how clothing works. It is insulation, not warmth-generation. A key piece of the insulation puzzle is calories...eat about 1.5-2 times the amount you normally would.

3. If you are staying overnight, make sure you cook your food.
Cypheros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:59 PM   #12
Bad-Element
Virtus Sola Nobilitas
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAIGA 5.45 View Post
First thing I am going to say is wolverines?

Second is layering, be able to handle any possible weather conditions in your pack,also keep in mind your exertion levels, change socks whenever you are going to stop for a period, keep fresh dry socks on when not on the move and for long as possible after you start. Last time I hiked in 15 degree weather I enjoyed a pair of waterproof pants and boxers only with a light upper, was the perfect amount of body heat for my exertion levels, with thermals on under it I would sweat to death. So I would only put them on at base camps to keep warm while inactive.

Only things I didn't have that I wish I had were snow shoes and a better stove. In cold snowy weather those two things are worth there weight in gold, granted the snow needs to be deepish, also didn't have a set of gaiters and regretted it.

Look online for cheap trail meals to make at home, some really good ideas for those living out of the backpack for a few days.
Wolverines!!

Hell yeah man what did you sleep in? I was looking at an arctic mummy bag and then I say those new poncho and poncho liners
MP WTS Custom Mags
Old 12-14-2016, 03:03 PM   #13
Bad-Element
Virtus Sola Nobilitas
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkessen View Post
WOOL garments are you friend. They may be a bit more heavy, but the weight is worth it. 100% wool garments will retain the majority of their heat-trapping ability even when soaking wet. Also, wool can be had cheaply if you look in the right places. Surplus is great. It might not be "tacticool" but I think that now dying of hypothermia is pretty cool in and of itself. Combloc overcoats are great and can be had for extremely low prices. Wool shirts/pants/hats/socks/ect are also relatively easily and cheap to find on the surplus market. Wool also breathes very well, so you can be kept relatively cool while also being kept warm. Can you tell that I love wool? GOOD LUCK!
So you like wool? Lol cool man I'm pretty convinced in it my wool socks have been so nice I would love to be covered in it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
The GORKA jackets are great for blocking wind and being waterproof. They definitely need an insulating under layer though. Something breathable.

There's nothing worse than working up a sweat and the sweat getting cold.
Man I know that synthetic shirt got soaked I think 2 would have been great.

I see on eBay a 50% camel 50% synthetic wool long john/base layer from a Russian company. Also ratnik surplus Russian level 1 and level 2 fleece base would be great I think under gorka.
MP WTS Custom Mags
Old 12-14-2016, 03:05 PM   #14
Bad-Element
Virtus Sola Nobilitas
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce19712 View Post
light camping is fun... a hike ingress usually is about 3 miles or less. Love to talk more about the gear. in the past much whiskey has been consumed. followed by steak dinner.
I've tried alot of do it yourself gear belts and drag bag combos.

coffeewhiskey and bacon in the morn

good times:

don't burn yer socks:
tough break in period for a dumbass like me for these boots:

hike to the fire fuel spots for camping:

sleeping pad is good for snow:

cloud layer coolness:

x39:

here's my new 600 yard shot, cant wait to setup camp and punch paper for longer distances.
Awesome!
MP WTS Custom Mags
Old 12-14-2016, 03:09 PM   #15
Bad-Element
Virtus Sola Nobilitas
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasky View Post
I purchased Under armour "cold gear" base layers when they first came out. Long sleeve shirt and pants. I've used them hunting every year in temps varying from -10F to as warm as 40F. They do a great job of keeping heat in and wicking sweat away from your body so you don't overheat or freeze.

I'm sure other brand will do the same for less though
Thx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypheros View Post
1. Do NOT sweat. If you are getting warm, shed a layer. Don't rely on some high-power insulation system...because you can't take it off if you get too warm. Remember, you need clothing during physical exertion (this generating more heat), and times when you won't be exerting yourself.

2. On a related note, understand how clothing works. It is insulation, not warmth-generation. A key piece of the insulation puzzle is calories...eat about 1.5-2 times the amount you normally would.

3. If you are staying overnight, make sure you cook your food.
Yep I'm trying to find the right combo. I've been looking at cold weather ponchos cause they can be stripped off immediately like the woogie or the hill people serape
MP WTS Custom Mags
Old 12-14-2016, 03:46 PM   #16
sdw2008
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 171683

Layering is great and a good rule to live in cold weather but sometimes it's difficult to do in practice. Particularly if it means stopping, dropping your pack, doffing a layer or two, packing up again, etc. Of course, self-discipline to do what you're supposed to do plays a big part.

I recently got some of the Gen III ECWCS layers (1,2,3,5 & 6) and really like how they are designed. The system is obviously designed in layers but they also have zip openings & pockets (level 5 jacket) that you can open up and let the heat escape readily. These would really come in handy with a pack on. I haven't had a chance to try it out below 28 yet, but this set up could probably be used successfully below zero. You might need some more insulation for when you're not moving or at night but you would probably have a fire going at camp & that would help considerably.

I know you are mainly asking about mid-layers so sorry for the rant! The ECWCS level 2 grid fleece is pretty nice, but it's also very warm. If you are wanting to stay with wool, I suggest that you try a silk weight base layer (next to your skin) and then a wool mid-layer. The silk weight will wick moisture and will probably be more comfortable. The wool layer will still do its job on top of the silk weight stuff.

For sleeping gear: A hammock/tarp set up is hard to beat in terms of weight and simplicity but the drawback in cold temps is wind circulating under you and chilling you from the bottom. Without a pad, you'll probably get cold. If you put a Thermarest pad or something similar in your hammock under your bag you should be GTG. Doesn't add much weight either.

That's my 2 pennies.

ETA: Nice AO BTW! What a gorgeous part of the country. Fuckin' 'Merica!
sdw2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 04:42 PM   #17
bounce19712
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 8142

darn-tough socks.

first layer underarmor

vent capability for carrying heavy loads and sweating like a mutherfucker.

Fire is an integral part to this strat...and I'll need to wisen up for longer haul, remote (youre on your own) events. But in the past I've used regular clothing without crotch ventilation zippers, or up to the calf zippers and paid the sweating price. I have slowly bult up to a three layered system for upper body and single layer pants with ventilation options. Epic cooling capabilities.

As soon as the 70 pound pack settles in on a hike it's important to be able to cool down on the go... zippers man. zippers.

regardless, arrival at the camp site is the cool down period and a warming fire helps. hell, it's a bonfire... dries the sweat.

Hammock (GI Jungle hammock with netting) flipped over to store equipment in the netting plus sleeping pad on top works good when the ground is not an option. harder on old knees though.

modular gear providing instant access to everything except camp setup stuff works well.
Your revolution is over, Mr. Lebowski. Condolences. The bums lost. My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski? The bums will always lose!

temp ban award winner: ka64
Posting a .gif of a Male Motor boating a woman's ass/vag from behind. No true nudity due to camera angle, still a sex act in the general forums...
bounce19712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:00 PM   #18
RMiller
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 170327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-Element View Post
Man I know that synthetic shirt got soaked I think 2 would have been great.

I see on eBay a 50% camel 50% synthetic wool long john/base layer from a Russian company. Also ratnik surplus Russian level 1 and level 2 fleece base would be great I think under gorka.
Hiking in, even a mile, though some thick brush, through a ravine and up a steep incline, and across a ridge left me sweating with a t-shirt, fleece jacket, Gorka. I was wearing pants and insulated overalls. It was 20* that morning. It sucked working up that sweat and sit in a blind.

The second morning I left the Gorka off, left the fleece jacket undone and hiked up (unpacked the Gorka when I got to the blind.). That was a lot better, but I still worked up a sweat under my overalls.

I'm thinking a more breathable/wicking under wear would have helped the situation.
RMiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:06 PM   #19
Bad-Element
Virtus Sola Nobilitas
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
Hiking in, even a mile, though some thick brush, through a ravine and up a steep incline, and across a ridge left me sweating with a t-shirt, fleece jacket, Gorka. I was wearing pants and insulated overalls. It was 20* that morning. It sucked working up that sweat and sit in a blind.

The second morning I left the Gorka off, left the fleece jacket undone and hiked up (unpacked the Gorka when I got to the blind.). That was a lot better, but I still worked up a sweat under my overalls.

I'm thinking a more breathable/wicking under wear would have helped the situation.
this sounds like my experience lately but i didnt stick around it was just a round trip to the car. I was soaked too.

I work in the cold alot. I spend most of the day outside some days its 20. some its -20 in utah. Im staying still though in my coveralls, my lungs fingers and toes are the only thing that gets cold in my carhartts.

lol i go in for so much coffee and tea to warm up that the bathroom is where i spend about half my warm ups. But thats often when i get to talk to you
MP WTS Custom Mags
Old 12-14-2016, 09:26 PM   #20
Bad-Element
Virtus Sola Nobilitas
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce19712 View Post
darn-tough socks.

first layer underarmor

vent capability for carrying heavy loads and sweating like a mutherfucker.

Fire is an integral part to this strat...and I'll need to wisen up for longer haul, remote (youre on your own) events. But in the past I've used regular clothing without crotch ventilation zippers, or up to the calf zippers and paid the sweating price. I have slowly bult up to a three layered system for upper body and single layer pants with ventilation options. Epic cooling capabilities.

As soon as the 70 pound pack settles in on a hike it's important to be able to cool down on the go... zippers man. zippers.

regardless, arrival at the camp site is the cool down period and a warming fire helps. hell, it's a bonfire... dries the sweat.

Hammock (GI Jungle hammock with netting) flipped over to store equipment in the netting plus sleeping pad on top works good when the ground is not an option. harder on old knees though.

modular gear providing instant access to everything except camp setup stuff works well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdw2008 View Post
Layering is great and a good rule to live in cold weather but sometimes it's difficult to do in practice. Particularly if it means stopping, dropping your pack, doffing a layer or two, packing up again, etc. Of course, self-discipline to do what you're supposed to do plays a big part.

I recently got some of the Gen III ECWCS layers (1,2,3,5 & 6) and really like how they are designed. The system is obviously designed in layers but they also have zip openings & pockets (level 5 jacket) that you can open up and let the heat escape readily. These would really come in handy with a pack on. I haven't had a chance to try it out below 28 yet, but this set up could probably be used successfully below zero. You might need some more insulation for when you're not moving or at night but you would probably have a fire going at camp & that would help considerably.

I know you are mainly asking about mid-layers so sorry for the rant! The ECWCS level 2 grid fleece is pretty nice, but it's also very warm. If you are wanting to stay with wool, I suggest that you try a silk weight base layer (next to your skin) and then a wool mid-layer. The silk weight will wick moisture and will probably be more comfortable. The wool layer will still do its job on top of the silk weight stuff.

For sleeping gear: A hammock/tarp set up is hard to beat in terms of weight and simplicity but the drawback in cold temps is wind circulating under you and chilling you from the bottom. Without a pad, you'll probably get cold. If you put a Thermarest pad or something similar in your hammock under your bag you should be GTG. Doesn't add much weight either.

That's my 2 pennies.

ETA: Nice AO BTW! What a gorgeous part of the country. Fuckin' 'Merica!
It is beautiful out here! I'm loving the diversity of the terrain and the uintas are amazing.

I hear you on the knees I have a bit of an issue with my back among other things so im trying to do it as lean as possible.

When I was young circa 2004 I spent a couple days cleaning up a n A-10 crash site in interior Alaska. I had only been in the AO for 2 months and was still figuring out the winters.

I had a mix of ECWCS gen 1 BDU's and some other stuff. I spent most of the day with a shovel and cardboard boxes diggin for parts in fuel soaked snow up to my knees or waist lol it was hell.

we would warm up in these plastic cargo pallet bags inflated by portable heaters and it was pretty smokey. I cant remember the temps but -20, -30 or -40 was common. I saw lower some days.

Day 2 i said screw this and took my brown 2 piece carharrts I was issues for maintenance and my huge boots. I was sweating my ass off I remember unzipping and dressing down and laying in the snow in my gortex. lol I'm glad i didnt have to spend the night out there.

lots to consider like the humidity, the interior was dry cold in winter. But the temps there could swing 70 degrees in a day.

I never spent more than a couple hours out in the cold and had heard about people freezing to death in their cars when they broke down. I wish I had gone to the survival courses back then but you have to understand that when i was fixing planes out in the crazy cold spending time out wasnt that high on my list

Utah is like a little more tame alaska in alot of ways. It hit the 40's today and I think its going to be in single digits this weekend.

Its beautiful for sure I'm trying to make up for lost time in the wilderness.
MP WTS Custom Mags
Old 12-14-2016, 09:33 PM   #21
Bad-Element
Virtus Sola Nobilitas
Vendor

glad you mentioned fire. I just grabbed some egg cartons and will be trying the wax covered method for winter survival fires. They do make a good starter in little 1" squares

after reading about winter emergency stuff i realized how vulnerable ive been and getting that stuff covered.

I am trying to hike several times a week even for 1-2 hours at a time but its hard to find that time with family/work. But I gotta. This is going to lead up to the 90 mile 8 day hike in the high uintas.

It may not happen for a couple years tho as i want to be prepared bot hequipment and experience wise. I do know some people who do this kind of hiking and even canyoneering so I may go with them first before off on my own.

I heard on a podcast that bacon doesnt really go bad for a 4-5 day trip. 2 packs of bacon as snacks is reason of itself to go out
MP WTS Custom Mags
Old 12-14-2016, 09:57 PM   #22
kingtubby
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 164799

I too hike all the time. Was out on sunday, twice, for a total of four hours, in single digit temps. Its my rehab for knee surgery and for everything else that afflicts the soul.

with respect to dress and gear, it really depends on what youre doing on any given outing.

even if its cold, if its sunny and dry, cotton isnt the end of the world. it will dry out quickly in 10% rh. so if youre on a dayhike, dress to the weather but dont sweat it too much.

if you are staying out, you only want stuff that will insulate when wet and the quicker it dries out the better. synthetics, then wool, never cotton or down.

as a result, when i am just daying hiking, i use leather work boots, synthetic or wool/syn blend socks, carharts or waxed cotton upland pants for busting brush, no long undies to keep my knee cold, a cotton tshirt and hoodie sweatshirt, and a filson waxed cotton coat. i wear belts cause im always carrying knives and anchoring chest holsters with pistols ranging from a 1911, glock 20, sw629, rb454, and deagle 50ae. beyond that i typically carry a 12g with game loads for jumping rabbits, birds, and yotes, unless im after something in particular - then my 7mm rem mag or marlin 45-70.

if i am hiking and camping, everything is synthetic: baselayer, fleece midlayers, primaloft synthetic down, woven soft shell outer layer, and goretex for just in case it gets really wet. same thing with sleeping bag - primaloft, not down. backpacking tent is key. black diamond in slc makes some great ones. i have one of their four season single wall tents. those guys will give you some great ideas on how to layer up and lightweight gear selections. another good lightweight tent option is a single pole tipi style tent. black diamond made one i know, i have a mountain hardwear.

i wont be camping, but i am planning two hunts friday afternoon and again on saturday that will be in below zero temps and just after this bit of snow moves through. should be interesting. im excited for some fresh tracks to hunt. i am busting out my 800gr thinsulate work boots for these hikes.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:59 PM   #23
kingtubby
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 164799

just saw your pics. get a ridge rest closed cell foam pad. completely cuts the cold and they are darn near indestructible from normal use. those air mattresses are nice, i use one too, but i always have a ridge rest just in case the air mattress gives up the ghost. they are great for sitting on too.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:07 PM   #24
Bad-Element
Virtus Sola Nobilitas
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtubby View Post
just saw your pics. get a ridge rest closed cell foam pad. completely cuts the cold and they are darn near indestructible from normal use. those air mattresses are nice, i use one too, but i always have a ridge rest just in case the air mattress gives up the ghost. they are great for sitting on too.
Great info thx!! I'm trying to do this on a low budget as I need almost everything to start out. Will get 1 of each in a better quality as I go.

Lots of brands out there and I've heard mixed reviews. Nothing beats real human Intel in the present thx all who posted!

Planning on a backyard camp out this weekend under the stars with the kids (4 and 6) should be interesting
MP WTS Custom Mags
Old 12-14-2016, 10:07 PM   #25
Bad-Element
Virtus Sola Nobilitas
Vendor

Such a great pic
cloud layer coolness:
MP WTS Custom Mags
Old 12-14-2016, 11:13 PM   #26
flashwilcox
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 15094

Great pics

I was going to call you Bad E. and ask if u see white yet.

LOL
flashwilcox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:30 PM   #27
Bad-Element
Virtus Sola Nobilitas
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashwilcox View Post
Great pics

I was going to call you Bad E. and ask if u see white yet.

LOL
yah buddy more coming friday what about you? below 90 yet?
MP WTS Custom Mags
Old 12-14-2016, 11:43 PM   #28
flashwilcox
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 15094

Quote:
yah buddy more coming friday what about you? below 90 yet?
Yes a couple of times thank-you.

LOL

This coming weekend is suppose to be a bitch........for those not prepared.

Glad to hear all is well.
flashwilcox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:44 PM   #29
high powered hk ar47
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 166795

Night vision makes things interesting

In the mountains at 11k feet and only kept the gloves off long enough for one picture

Hiking in western CO in the fall:

Last edited by high powered hk ar47; 12-14-2016 at 11:51 PM.
high powered hk ar47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:02 AM   #30
Bad-Element
Virtus Sola Nobilitas
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by high powered hk ar47 View Post
Night vision makes things interesting

In the mountains at 11k feet and only kept the gloves off long enough for one picture

Hiking in western CO in the fall:

Beautiful! Looks just like my AO north of me. I'm very close to CO border. the uintas are like the rockies in alot of ways but run east to west.
MP WTS Custom Mags
Old 12-15-2016, 01:02 AM   #31
ouroboros
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 172555

I confess, I love these kinds of threads. You all have some great pictures too.

Backpacking, bushcraft and hiking are a big hobby of mine. I was just out this past weekend in the Red River Gorge (again) in KY. Got down to about 20 Fahrenheit.

I won't likely be adding anything new to the table here in this thread... mainly just echoing the good advice that others have already mentioned... but hey, if you hear the same things repeated by a number of people who have some experience (I've been backpacking in the winter for about 12 years now and still have all of my fingers and toes), then it's probably decent advice.

I also work outdoors year round, so a lot of this stuff gets tested out on a daily basis as opposed to simply when I'm out in the woods/mountains. Winter highs and lows here tend to be 0 - 32 Fahrenheit.

What I can do is post some gear lists. I won't write a ton about each individual item, but you can always run them through a search engine. This is not meant to push any specific brands or say this is better than that, but just to show the features and benefits that the items offer... as well as the climate they are used in... the features and usability are what's important, there's plenty out there to choose from in the USA, Europe, name brands, off brands, military surplus... etc. Lots of sales and deals to be had too... I rarely if ever pay full price.

As everyone else has said... layers. Here is my personal preference when it comes to winter outdoor clothing:

Base Layer:

Sarma T-Shirt (Merino Wool. Finnish company)
(check out this surplus site if you haven't seen it https://www.varusteleka.com/en)

SmartWool NTS Micro 150 (Merino Wool long johns) or...

Icebreaker Relaxed Boxers (Merino Wool boxers)

Wool insulates even when cold, reduces odors significantly compared to synthetics or cotton and wicks moisture well. Merino wool is tight-knit, soft and non-itchy.

Footwear:

Meindl Perfekt Hunter 10" Boots with 400g Thinsulate or...

Alico Summit Light Leather Hiking Boots

The Meindl boots are Leather, GoreTex and Thinsulate while the Alicos are all leather with a stitched on sole. I prefer to use Obenauf's Heavy Duty Leather Protector on them. Not every situation calls for a waterproof and/or insulated boot. GoreTex and Thinsulate take a lot longer to dry out than just plain leather. The Meindls have a glued on sole, the Alicos are stitched on. While the Meindls are more comfortable, the Alicos have the potential to last for decades with proper maintenance.

Darn Tough Micro Crew Light Cushion Socks (Merino Wool / Nylon blend)

If I'm wearing the Meindl boots, 1 pair of socks is fine. If I'm wearing the Alico's, I'll usually put on a larger pair of wool socks over the Darn Toughs.

RedHead Extreme Cold Socks (Merino Wool / Carbon Heat Fiber blend. For sleeping only)

Pants:

Fjallraven Ovik Trousers (Polyster / Organic Cotton blend, can be waxed. Very tough pants while still being lightweight. Not my 1st choice in warmer/wetter seasons, but in below freezing temperatures, these are the best for me.)

Mid Layers:

Fjallraven Keb Padded Hoodie (Synthetic G-Loft Insulation, similar to down)

In extreme cold, I will add a polyester fleece or Swiss surplus wool sweater.

Shell / Outer Layer:

Bergans Super Lett Jacket (Waterproof, windproof 3-layer Dermizax)

Some features to look for on a shell jacket are pit zips, dual zippers, adjustable hoods, adjustable cuffs, adjustable / shock cord at the waist, etc. And of course wind and waterproof for hard shells.

Gloves:

Wool Liner Gloves + Leather Outer Gloves (surplus Belgian or Czech)

I prefer leather outer gloves for fire resistance/handling and general durability while outdoors.

Headwear:

SmartWool Cuffed Beanie

Italian Wool Balaclava (for sleeping and/or extreme cold)

Maybe I will post about more gear too, shelter options, tools, packs, etc... but it's getting late.
ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:21 AM   #32
Bad-Element
Virtus Sola Nobilitas
Vendor

Ouroboros great write up! I will have to google a lot of those brands you can tell lots of Nordic/Icelandic sounding names. Thx !
MP WTS Custom Mags
Old 12-15-2016, 01:22 AM   #33
Bad-Element
Virtus Sola Nobilitas
Vendor

Early fall in the Unitas/foothills. These guys are shorter and curvy in this spot I've seen mooseand hundreds of elk within a quarter mile
MP WTS Custom Mags
Old 12-15-2016, 02:53 AM   #34
shaneakm31

AKaholic #: 170744

Where in Southern Wyoming? I can recommend the Snowy Range. It's about 20 miles west of Laramie.
shaneakm31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:00 AM   #35
SAIGA 5.45
Old Dirty Bastard of the Files

AKaholic #: 174648

Quote:
Wolverines!!

Hell yeah man what did you sleep in? I was looking at an arctic mummy bag and then I say those new poncho and poncho liners
Don't skimp on a good mummy bag and sleeping pad. Get a bag that will pack down tight and a inflatable sleeping pad.

I should be back in Jacksonville, putting my spicy man meat into a mother/daughter sandwich, that's what I want- Ashley J. Williams

This is the files, leave your purse at the fucking door.
SAIGA 5.45 is online now   Reply With Quote