Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gear & Accessories

Notices

Old 01-01-2018, 03:21 PM   #1
GunsAreFun

AKaholic #: 171890
Default Quick Access Rifle Safe

Need a recommendation for one that can store an AK type rifle for HD for $300 or less. I would prefer it be the style that works laying down or standing up as Iím not sure where it will be stored yet.

Donít trust biometrics (unless it has a quick backup mechanism) so a keypad or style with 4-5 buttons is preferred.
GunsAreFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 04:28 PM   #2
TomJerome

AKaholic #: 183476

I have two cabinets that fit that description: A Stack On 8-gun stand up, and a SecureIt Fastbox that you secure either flat or standing up. The Stack On opens like a regular cabinet and the SecureIt opens from the narrow, end-side. I guess you could secure the Stack On flat on it's back, but you would have to allow room for the door to open upwards.

Both are okay, but I think the Stack On is built much more robustly. The SecureIt makes a fanfare of how well it's built, but if you look at the internals, it's actually really chinsy. Both will keep out a smash-and-grabber. The Stack On, if bolted to the wall, will probably keep out a crow-bar attack for about 5 minutes. I don't think the SecureIt would last 30 seconds.

The Stack On is about $100, the SecureIt about $250. The Stack On uses a key, but is actually pretty quick. The SecureIt uses four buttons pressed in a pattern you can set, and comes with back-up key access.

Hornady Snapsafe, as well as numerous other companies, make a narrow cabinet similar to the SecureIt for about $200-500, but I have no experience with those. They may or may not be built better than the SecureIt.
TomJerome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 04:49 PM   #3
TomJerome

Here's a video from SecureIt that will give you an idea. Take it with a grain of salt as he's trying to sell his product and there are a couple of things I don't believe (e.g. door designed that a pry attack will have no purchase).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgLeOi8eKfs
Old 01-01-2018, 05:21 PM   #4
GunsAreFun

AKaholic #: 171890

Thanks for the info Tom. The SecureIt was what I was leaning towards. My main needs are quick access, secure from kids, and flexible storage arrangements which it seems to satisfy.

It’s also sold at Midway which is only 15 minutes away and I can return it no problem if the quality is not to my liking.
GunsAreFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:06 PM   #5
TomJerome

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsAreFun View Post
Thanks for the info Tom. The SecureIt was what I was leaning towards. My main needs are quick access, secure from kids, and flexible storage arrangements which it seems to satisfy.

Itís also sold at Midway which is only 15 minutes away and I can return it no problem if the quality is not to my liking.
You're welcome. That's good that you can return it if you want. There used to be a review on Amazon that showed the deficiencies I'm talking about, but strangely it's gone.

Take just a few minutes to take off the inside door panel to see if it's up to your standards. They may have beefed it up. Based on your requirements, it'll probably be fine. I still have mine for the quick access to a long rifle if there's ever the need.

One more thing: A major problem with all low-end safes that have a programmable lock is that the red reset button inside can be easily accessed from the outside with a coat-hanger or flat bar to reset the combo and open the safe. All a thief needs to do is google the set-up instructions for that particular model to know where to fish around and he's in. A very simple fix is to cut off the threaded portion of a plastic soda/water bottle, file the bottom flat, glue it in place around the button with JB weld, and then screw the cap on over the button. It will prevent such access but still be accessible to change the combo. It takes about ten minutes to do.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:35 PM   #6
Hizzie
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 170989

V-Line has something.