Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 09-10-2018, 12:23 PM   #1
monkeydo

AKaholic #: 195631
Default What's Your SLG-21/31 Wearing?

So I'll be picking up my SGL-21 towards the end of the week. It has a Magpul Zhukov stock and Manticore keymod lower handguard. While it's more practical than wood furniture, I'll probably end up swapping it for wood or bakelite, or maybe Russian plum. Not really sure though. Wanting to see what you all have done with yours.
monkeydo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:36 PM   #2
catmando

AKaholic #: 194694

A 60s era Tula stock set I purchased from krazyukrainian a while back. It definitely is not correct for the gun but the laminate has awesome color and the honey color finish which was the Tula trademark. Also Tula double star bayonet. Mold # 1-28 on both sheath and bayonet. Molded in at factory. One AK 103 ribbed mag and one 103 smooth side. If I figure out how to I will post pics or I will be glad to text them to you monkeydo if you PM. I had a Russian plum set on it but it couldn't hold a candle to the Tula set.
catmando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:41 PM   #3
Mclaughlin

AKaholic #: 186391

SGL-31
Just basic for me added a 5.5mm Trunnion refinished in Techno's paint RU selector markings courtesy of Two Rivers
Mclaughlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:50 PM   #4
RAMRODtheMASTER

AKaholic #: 159820

Swapped out to a complete Russian Plum set back when I first picked it up. Had that for a few years and got the itch to make it fit me better (6'2", 48" chest, broad shouldered, need some length of pull). Had a Zhukov stock on it for a year and a half before it's current configuration.

-Troy AK Rail Short model w/ an AFG-2 & WMLx as far out as they can go. (Didn't want to cut off the HG retainer for other rails.

-Armacon Baskak stock with a Definitive Arms M4 adapter and QD ASAP plate.

-Circle10AK Metal pistol grip

-Swap back and forth between the SRVV 3 port knockoff and the original MB when I'm in a bayonet kinda mood. lol

-Midwest Industries 30mm red dot mount and Aimpoint PRO for that amazing co-witness.

Thing has always shot great and true, no hiccups ever. The Midwest mount and Troy handguards ended up matching aesthetically too which I never planned for but turned out nice. Hope you enjoy the SGL you're picking up, they're great rifles.

RAMRODtheMASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:19 PM   #5
7.62 short

AKaholic #: 185503

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Original stock and lower handguard
Ultimak rail with t1, Scout M600DF, cloud defensive switch mount
7.62 short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:19 PM   #6
m62/m76

AKaholic #: 171020

My SGL 31 is wearing Russian Blonde!
m62/m76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:51 PM   #7
Giantspeed
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 161920

[IMG][/IMG]
this just one of them just a basic setup

I'm willing to die defending my 2nd amendment rights
Are you willing to die trying to take them from me

Originally Posted by Mandaree36
My brothers built that rifle.......it is priceless to me.
Giantspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:09 AM   #8
bda
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 181263

I had my rifles all dressed up in Russian blonde and red 74 surplus sets along with Russian plum for a while but I decided to go back to the US made black poly. I'm digging it.
bda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:10 AM   #9
monkeydo

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmando View Post
A 60s era Tula stock set I purchased from krazyukrainian a while back. It definitely is not correct for the gun but the laminate has awesome color and the honey color finish which was the Tula trademark. Also Tula double star bayonet. Mold # 1-28 on both sheath and bayonet. Molded in at factory. One AK 103 ribbed mag and one 103 smooth side. If I figure out how to I will post pics or I will be glad to text them to you monkeydo if you PM. I had a Russian plum set on it but it couldn't hold a candle to the Tula set.
Throw up some pics if you get a chance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m62/m76 View Post
My SGL 31 is wearing Russian Blonde!
There was an SGL with blonde furniture in the MP the other day. Looked awesome! I can’t decide whether to go with a modern look or something more original. I prefer the original or older style, but it wouldn’t hurt to have something more practical. I have Bulgarian bakelite on my Bulgarian and of course the original furniture on my Spiker. I don’t think my OCD will allow me to put furniture from a different origin on it haha would love to throw some Bakelite on it, but I believe I’ll stick with something Russian whatever I choose.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:27 PM   #10
Charlemagne
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 137433

I got an SGL21-72 (plum furniture with a NATO length stock) from K-Var when they were having their $500 sale. After the SGL21-94 came out I decided I wanted a more authentic AK103. So I switched to K-Var's black poly hand guards and pistol grip with a Ted Marshall grip reinforcement plate and a 5.5 Russian side folding stock.
Charlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:20 PM   #11
monkeydo

a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlemagne View Post
I got an SGL21-72 (plum furniture with a NATO length stock) from K-Var when they were having their $500 sale. After the SGL21-94 came out I decided I wanted a more authentic AK103. So I switched to K-Var's black poly hand guards and pistol grip with a Ted Marshall grip reinforcement plate and a 5.5 Russian side folding stock.
I know. I actually stumbled across an old thread yesterday where you had some dude boasting about how his SGL21-94 was real and yours wasn't haha. I've also been considering doing the same as what you did and having the folding stock installed. I think it'd be awesome to get it as close as possible to an AK103. Who did you have do the conversion?
By the way, I believe the answer to his question about telling the difference between an actual 94 and a converted fixed stock would be the "T" on the 94's before the serial number, but I could be wrong.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:43 PM   #12
catmando

AKaholic #: 194694

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydo View Post
a

I know. I actually stumbled across an old thread yesterday where you had some dude boasting about how his SGL21-94 was real and yours wasn't haha. I've also been considering doing the same as what you did and having the folding stock installed. I think it'd be awesome to get it as close as possible to an AK103. Who did you have do the conversion?
By the way, I believe the answer to his question about telling the difference between an actual 94 and a converted fixed stock would be the "T" on the 94's before the serial number, but I could be wrong.
Anyone know what Legion charges to do conversion? Using there parts?
catmando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:05 PM   #13
monkeydo

Here it is by the way. Not the best pic. It's not in my possession yet.

He had messaged me in response to a WTB listing I posted, and wanted to know what my offer was. I forgot to message him back and the next day I got on ar15 .com right as soon as he listed it. He listed it for $1,250. I emailed him and told him to pull the listing and I'd give him $1,350 in a couple of days haha. Not a bad deal, but I wish I would have had the cash on hand and paid $1,250 instead lol. It wouldn't have lasted long at $1,250 though, so I didn't mind one bit paying a little extra to have him hold it for me. It's in near mint condition.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:51 PM   #14
Plagued

AKaholic #: 173075

SGL-21.

SGL-21.

SGL-31.
Plagued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:07 PM   #15
Kosmoline

AKaholic #: 186904

I have a Russian plum stock set on one, and my other is still new, just how it came from Arsenal, with the US black stock set.

I have a Russian wood stock set that I've had on my shooter in the past, but I personally prefer the look of the plum stock set.

Enjoy your new rifle!
Kosmoline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:49 PM   #16
m62/m76

My SGL-31 Sexy Russian Blonde!

https://imgur.com/ADExq1p
Old 09-11-2018, 03:51 PM   #17
m62/m76

Not sure how you make just the pic come right up?
Old 09-11-2018, 03:58 PM   #18
Plagued

Old 09-11-2018, 04:01 PM   #19
Plagued

Take said link.

Click on the insert image icon.

When the bar pops up, delete the http already in window.

Paste new link add a lower case L at the end to control image size then put .jpg at the end and hit enter.

https://imgur.com/ADExq1pl.jpg

That's what it will look like in the box.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:20 PM   #20
m62/m76

Old 09-11-2018, 07:21 PM   #21
m62/m76

Shit, it worked.
Thanks Plagued.
How do people figure this shit out?

Old 09-11-2018, 09:05 PM   #22
Plagued

Np. It looks great.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:24 PM   #23
Charlemagne
Curio & Relic

Quote:
a

I actually had two different people do the conversion. Matt Yeamans at Turbothis did the actual conversion and welded on the grip reinforcement plate. He did a great job with the metal work and the welding and he did it for a killer price. But there was a problem with the rivets and he does not do finish work. I could have sent it back to Matt as I hear he stands behind his work but I took it into my local AK smith Curtis Jenkins at High Energy Arms In Woods Cross Utah. Curtis re-riveted the rear trunnion and duracoated the gun.

I am very pleased with the way the gun turned out. And no I do not lie awake in bed at night crying because I don't have a "real SGL21-94"! My gun has a grip reinforcement plate and an unrelieved 5.5mm folder pin (courtesy of JMac Customs) which an Arsenal or FIME SGL21-94 does not have but a real AK103 does!
Old 09-12-2018, 01:04 PM   #24
monkeydo

Quote:
I actually had two different people do the conversion. Matt Yeamans at Turbothis did the actual conversion and welded on the grip reinforcement plate. He did a great job with the metal work and the welding and he did it for a killer price. But there was a problem with the rivets and he does not do finish work. I could have sent it back to Matt as I hear he stands behind his work but I took it into my local AK smith Curtis Jenkins at High Energy Arms In Woods Cross Utah. Curtis re-riveted the rear trunnion and duracoated the gun.

I am very pleased with the way the gun turned out. And no I do not lie awake in bed at night crying because I don't have a "real SGL21-94"! My gun has a grip reinforcement plate and an unrelieved 5.5mm folder pin (courtesy of JMac Customs) which an Arsenal or FIME SGL21-94 does not have but a real AK103 does!
Hahaha yeah I was cracking up reading the thread. Who cares who installs the folder. Yes, to a collector a true 94 is going to be worth more, but I'm in agreement with you. I'd rather it be truer to an AK103 than paying $6,000 for something that isn't. Post some pics if you can. Would love to see the work.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:09 PM   #25
monkeydo

Quote:
Looks awesome! If I don't get the folder installed, wood is probably the way I'll go. I'm so indecisive right now though, so there's no telling. I guess I won't really know until I have it in my hands. I did just find a Russian brake, Izzy grip, and an Izzy bakelite bayonet for it. I may end up trying to find a modern Russian bayonet for it though.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:47 PM   #26
Charlemagne
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Hahaha yeah I was cracking up reading the thread. Who cares who installs the folder. Yes, to a collector a true 94 is going to be worth more, but I'm in agreement with you. I'd rather it be truer to an AK103 than paying $6,000 for something that isn't. Post some pics if you can. Would love to see the work.
I have had problems posting pictures on this forum (I really messed one of the best shots I had of my SGL21 trying to shrink it down). I would however be happy to email you my pictures if you want to PM me.

One other thing forgot to mention is that my gun has one of the chrome lined compensators that Chris Butler did. These are again more authentic than the unlined compensators Arsenal put on their SGL21-94s.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:22 PM   #27
monkeydo

Quote:
I have had problems posting pictures on this forum (I really messed one of the best shots I had of my SGL21 trying to shrink it down). I would however be happy to email you my pictures if you want to PM me.

One other thing forgot to mention is that my gun has one of the chrome lined compensators that Chris Butler did. These are again more authentic than the unlined compensators Arsenal put on their SGL21-94s.
I just bought a Russian long collared brake for mine (possibly an AK-74M brake). I'm assuming the AK103 brake is different? I need to slow down buying parts/accessories until I have a better understanding. I don't necessarily have to have an AK103 clone, but the more correct parts the better. Do you know what all parts would need to be replaced on the SGL to be considered an AK103 clone?
Old 09-14-2018, 12:38 PM   #28
AK-Pirate
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 183956

Quote:
I just bought a Russian long collared brake for mine (possibly an AK-74M brake). I'm assuming the AK103 brake is different? I need to slow down buying parts/accessories until I have a better understanding. I don't necessarily have to have an AK103 clone, but the more correct parts the better. Do you know what all parts would need to be replaced on the SGL to be considered an AK103 clone?
103 Brake is long collared like the 74M just has a larger bore diameter for the 7.62 round. All other parts are same I think. I know the 103 has a 1000m sight when the 74M has an 800m? Here’s mine I had converted by Troy at InRange.

AK-Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:54 PM   #29
AdamP123
((((-(-(-_-)-)-))))

AKaholic #: 154955

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Pirate View Post
Outstanding.

Я люблю котов! У меня нет кота, но они очаровательны. Я люблю разговаривать с людьми в парке о своих домашних кошках. Кошки могут быть настолько привередливыми! Вы когда-нибудь задумывались что кошки думают? Много приветствий! Адам.
AdamP123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:05 PM   #30
Charlemagne
Curio & Relic

Quote:
103 Brake is long collared like the 74M just has a larger bore diameter for the 7.62 round. All other parts are same I think. I know the 103 has a 1000m sight when the 74M has an 800m? Here’

I have heard some people say they have used the 74 brake with 7.62 but the bore hole is a tight fit so I wouldn't try it. I got a Chris Butler AK103 compensator from Legion USA for my gun because it was mil spec and I couldn't find any fully functional Russian compensators on the market (Rusmilitary had sold them without the guts). The Butler item is also American made if you are worried about 922r. Legion has sold out of the Butler brakes but I have since seen the original Russian piece for sale on the Marketplace here.

Both the 74M and the 103 have 1000m sights.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:16 PM   #31
monkeydo

Quote:
My SGL-31 Sexy Russian Blonde!

https://imgur.com/ADExq1p
The blonde looks great on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plagued View Post
Take said link.

Click on the insert image icon.

When the bar pops up, delete the http already in window.

Paste new link add a lower case L at the end to control image size then put .jpg at the end and hit enter.

https://imgur.com/ADExq1pl.jpg

That's what it will look like in the box.
I appreciate your expertise! I have always always went through a pain staking process to get smaller images in Imgur. Usually it would mess with the quality.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:07 AM   #32
AdamP123
((((-(-(-_-)-)-))))

Quote:
103 Brake is long collared like the 74M just has a larger bore diameter for the 7.62 round.
Quote:
I have heard some people say they have used the 74 brake with 7.62 but the bore hole is a tight fit so I wouldn't try it.
Reading is fundamental.

Я люблю котов! У меня нет кота, но они очаровательны. Я люблю разговаривать с людьми в парке о своих домашних кошках. Кошки могут быть настолько привередливыми! Вы когда-нибудь задумывались что кошки думают? Много приветствий! Адам.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:14 AM   #33
monkeydo

I’ve been running a Bulgarian 74 style brake on my SAM7sf with one issues. I was reading a super old thread on some other forum where Nalioth was going back and forth with some people about whether or not it’s safe to use a 74 break on a 7,62 rifle. He stated it wasn’t an issue as long as it’s not a cheap brake that could be angled/deformed. I agree. There is plenty of clearance for a 7,62 round.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:22 AM   #34
AdamP123
((((-(-(-_-)-)-))))

Quote:
I’ve been running a Bulgarian 74 style brake on my SAM7sf with one issues.
Huh?

Quote:
I was reading a super old thread on some other forum where Nalioth was going back and forth with some people about whether or not it’s safe to use a 74 break on a 7,62 rifle. He stated it wasn’t an issue as long as it’s not a cheap brake that could be angled/deformed. I agree. There is plenty of clearance for a 7,62 round.
I read the thread. That was just Nalioth being Nalioth. He likes to argue and he thinks he knows everything. Are the threads concentric? Is the bore concentric to the barrel? Is the brake loose? Are the threads on the brake concentric? It the remainder of the brake concentric? It's not just a question as to whether a 7.62 diameter bullet can fit through an AK74 brake. There are other factors.

If everything is 100% concentric and tight, it is not a problem. However, with AKs, even the most expensive, this is not the case. So, proceed with caution if throwing a 5.45 brake on a 7.62 rifle.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:17 AM   #35
chile1
Gunners for life........

AKaholic #: 173484

Quote:
103 Brake is long collared like the 74M just has a larger bore diameter for the 7.62 round. All other parts are same I think. I know the 103 has a 1000m sight when the 74M has an 800m? Here’s mine I had converted by Troy at InRange.
To make it correct you would also need the reinforcement plate installed, the push button recoil spring, mil spec hinge pin, mil spec Izhmash polymer furniture, just to name a few more items.