Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Old 07-22-2018, 11:42 PM   #1
Extra Medium
Spectacular Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 188133
Default Raleigh NC Computer guys, Can you help a Marine out?

Hey Y'all,

I have a lifelong friend, more like a brother, an actual cousin by marriage, who has just recently retired from the U.S.M.C. as a Master Sargent. Hoo Rah!

He did his 20, and is now settled in the Raleigh N.C. area.

I don't know shit about computers but I tell you he certainly does. He was all about IT his whole career. I know at one point, he was working directly for the Commandant.

He has led teams of men in Iraq, and was most recently stationed in Okinawa to help with the whole NK thing. I bet he has a good story or 2..

As with anyone who has ever gotten out after 20, he has some adjusting to do. Needs a good mentor locally.

Anyone have an inside lead on any job opportunities in IT, data management, server stuff I don't understand???

Please help one of uncle Sam's own earn an opportunity...

He is THE MOST disciplined person I have EVER met, yet is still cool enough to work with. Hell of a guy.. Loyal, honest.. Just got a few bugs like the rest of y'all that saw the shit.

Thank you dearly....

Please PM me if you can help.

Anyway, thanks to all you salty pricks that signed up so I didn't have to.

Nails? you know anyone up yonder NC way? Need a remote nerd?

Reptile, ain't you a computer guy???

Last edited by Extra Medium; 07-22-2018 at 11:48 PM.
Extra Medium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:28 AM   #2
Idratherbapickle
Banned

AKaholic #: 193120

Bro he did 20 as an IT he's fucking golden on getting hired in the civilian sector. I wasn't an IT but all those lucky fuckers get good jobs after discharge. Shit why not make it easy go on USAJOBS on apply for an IT job within the government they hire their own.
Idratherbapickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:02 AM   #3
Extra Medium
Spectacular Member
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idratherbapickle View Post
Bro he did 20 as an IT he's fucking golden on getting hired in the civilian sector. I wasn't an IT but all those lucky fuckers get good jobs after discharge. Shit why not make it easy go on USAJOBS on apply for an IT job within the government they hire their own.
Thanks
Old 07-23-2018, 11:34 AM   #4
Steve_In_29
Semper Fi

AKaholic #: 183727

As a MSgt with 20yrs in IT he should have left the Corps with a solid job offer already locked on. Especially given the level you said he worked at where he would be exposed to all the .gov contractors and head hunters.

What was he doing that as an IT guy had him "leading teams of men in Iraq"?

USAJOBS should get him hired pretty quick but he probably would make more money (though with less job security) on the private sector.

Biggest adjustment he needs to make is to take off the rank...and revert to just being "Bob". We had a couple guys working at my unit who had been SgtMajs. They felt that people still needed to defer to them despite their new jobs as civilians simply being HazMat Handlers (the guys that hand out the paint/chemicals/etc).

By the way...for Marines it's OOH RAH!
Steve_In_29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:51 AM   #5
giantpune
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 188807

Does he know how work remotely? That's where its at these days. I'm in GA. My company's office is in chicago. CEO's in DC. We have workers all over the US and on other continents. I work on computers all day that I'm not even in the same time zone as. IMO, thats the way to do it. Set your own hours, work from anywhere with electricity and internet.

If he wants a more traditional IT job, check the hospitals. They're always hiring for somebody else to provision and manage all the computers and pulse oximeters and AA batteries and such.
giantpune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:36 PM   #6
Idratherbapickle
Banned

AKaholic #: 193120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
What was he doing that as an IT guy had him "leading teams of men in Iraq"?

USAJOBS should get him hired pretty quick but he probably would make more money (though with less job security) on the private sector.
He doesn't know any better lol.

I uploaded my resume on USAJOBS applied for a certain gov job and the very next day I got an invite to take entrance exam. Now unfortunately, a year later I'm still waiting on the last step of the process but hey it'll be a career and not a job. My only beef is that from what I've experienced every step is a like a month and some change in between the last. I'm hung up on a medical screening which has been two months and theres nothing medically wrong with me. I had elevated blood pressure when I went in so they made do some bullshit. My blood pressure hovers around 117 over 74 which ain't bad at all obviously but you know, the paperwork will sit somewhere for months before some disgruntled pelican decides they'll read it.

Dude hazmat really doesn't pay all that bad either lol. Working for hazmat on base would be caaaaakke. My buddy did that lol.
Idratherbapickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:07 PM   #7
A J
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 173129

With his skill set, he shouldn't have any trouble finding a job. In the meantime, he's covered by his pension and medical benefits, so he should be in no rush. Like others have mentioned, he'll need to do a little adjustment to the way the civilian sector operates.
A J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:20 PM   #8
Extra Medium
Spectacular Member
Bronze Contributor

Yeah guys, I Don't Know Jack schitt about computers or the military and I don't pretend to.

Just trying to put the word out amongst some cool guys. I know half of y'all fuckers are ex-military.

As far as the leader of men question above, I know he had a team he was responsible for setting up and maintainingcommunication stuff. I'm going to send him a link to this thread. Wwe may have a new filer here in short order.

Anyway, I don't want to say too much or misrepresent him because I don't know what the f*** I'm talking about.

Ooh rah hoo hah Yee hawww... I don't know any better. But I try to be respectful to those that do.

Unless you're an assbole, but That kind of goes across the board in all professions..��

Last edited by Extra Medium; 07-23-2018 at 04:23 PM. Reason: stupid phone
Extra Medium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:30 PM   #9
DavidP
Bitches be Trippin'
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 168566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Medium View Post
Yeah guys, I Don't Know Jack schitt about computers or the military and I don't pretend to.

Just trying to put the word out amongst some cool guys. I know half of y'all fuckers are ex-military.

As far as the leader of men question above, I know he had a team he was responsible for setting up and maintainingcommunication stuff. I'm going to send him a link to this thread. Wwe may have a new filer here in short order.

Anyway, I don't want to say too much or misrepresent him because I don't know what the f*** I'm talking about.

Ooh rah hoo hah Yee hawww... I don't know any better. But I try to be respectful to those that do.

Unless you're an assbole, but That kind of goes across the board in all professions..��
In todays world most employers in IT look for certs first. Sec+, Net+, CASP, CISSP, CCNA, etc etc. Its the foot to get into the door, especially for a Fed job. Then its experience. If he is applying for a fed job he needs to write his resume in the "resumix" way. Even though we ditched resumix years ago, the same rules and word associations apply.

I am the liquor......

Cheeseburger picnic for everyone in the trailer park!

Sketti and Butturrrrrrrr.....
DavidP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:54 PM   #10
Denver762
Veteran Member
Contributor

AKaholic #: 172658

USAjobs.gov

set up a profile, apply with vet preference to anything remotely close to "computer" in job description.

fill out the profile correctly, missing doc's is the number one reason applications get rejected.

the gov is big into hiring vets.... get after it!
Old 07-23-2018, 09:26 PM   #11
AKGator

AKaholic #: 188909

He needs a Linkedin profile if he doesn't have one. Its definitely a good way to market yourself.

Cool thing is they offer a free year of their premium service with a free year of Lynda.com training to all veterans.

https://blog.linkedin.com/2015/11/11...g-on-lynda-com
AKGator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:38 PM   #12
Djinnfizz
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 179992

Quote:
... data management, server stuff
I'm guessing DBA, systems administration/engineering?
With that skillset and background in Raleigh I'd think he'd be up to his knees in offers in relative short order once he gets his resume circulating.
Also, his phone will blow up with recruiters (a lot if that will be shit, but a lot can also not be).

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMor View Post
The AK Files is not a polite place. We have a lot of assholes here.
Djinnfizz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:12 PM   #13
Extra Medium
Spectacular Member
Bronze Contributor

Thanks Y'all, I know he'll be ok once he finds something. It's all a bit daunting right now I'm sure after so long being told where to be, live, work etc. It's gotta be a hell of an adjustment period. Hard for me to grasp really.

I figured you guys would get it, and was just curious if anybody might have a good lead..
Old 07-24-2018, 11:19 PM   #14
Steve_In_29
Semper Fi

AKaholic #: 183727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idratherbapickle View Post
He doesn't know any better lol.

I uploaded my resume on USAJOBS applied for a certain gov job and the very next day I got an invite to take entrance exam. Now unfortunately, a year later I'm still waiting on the last step of the process but hey it'll be a career and not a job. My only beef is that from what I've experienced every step is a like a month and some change in between the last. I'm hung up on a medical screening which has been two months and theres nothing medically wrong with me. I had elevated blood pressure when I went in so they made do some bullshit. My blood pressure hovers around 117 over 74 which ain't bad at all obviously but you know, the paperwork will sit somewhere for months before some disgruntled pelican decides they'll read it.

Dude hazmat really doesn't pay all that bad either lol. Working for hazmat on base would be caaaaakke. My buddy did that lol.
They were Handlers not Hazmat Response and now that I think about it they had originally been hired as just Laborers as they had no skills. WG5 from what I recall as to pay. Where guys who got out as Sgts with real skills (mechanics, armorer, electronics) were being hired on as WG10s.

We had a MSgt stop by work one day inquiring about possibly getting a job after his upcoming retirement. We asked him what he could do, to which he responded, "run the shop". We told him we already had a boss and there were no openings. He hadn't turned a wrench in so long his MOS was useless as he was just another paper pusher by that point.

Had a friend get caught up in Trump's hiring freeze. Took almost a year before he finally got hired for the job.
Steve_In_29 is online now   Reply With Quote