Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 08-06-2017, 10:46 AM   #946
Art Vandaley

AKaholic #: 191257

I was fortunate enough to get an FM74 VEPR back in February. It's such a gorgeous gun,man. Solid!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForTheCorps View Post
I had been eyeballing the FM-AK47-11 for at least 6 months and just never looked at it buying it to be a priority. When I got news of the ban, I got home from work, bought one off GB at regular price and then they cancelled my order the next day. They claimed it was a mistake and were out of them. It's one of the vendors here btw.

I wasn't on the market for a folder, but when Atlantic had a few of them priced about $80 higher than pre-ban I decided to grab one. By the time I got home from work they were sold out.
Art Vandaley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:55 AM   #947
Martensite
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 188470

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyNoob View Post
Yeah, I think people just put off buying guns because they dont 'need' one at the moment. Then once the ban is in place, they decide it's finally time to part with their hard earned cash...I knew the ban was inevitable, so I bought mine as soon as I had the chance.

I don't think it's a bad idea to stockpile guns, I've been stockpiling guns for a few years now, I encourage everyone on this board to stockpile as many as possible, one is none and ...20 is one.
Pretty soon, you'll only be able to stockpile airguns in CA...
Martensite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:31 PM   #948
RF57
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 162727

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaco View Post
What I don't understand is if a person wasn't sure he wanted a VEPR at $1,000 and so waited and debated...why did he all of a sudden have to have one when they were $1,400+?
Why couldn't he find the money when the gun was less expensive? but found it right away after it was banned and thus more expensive?

As I said, its all about priorities.
Because there are other guns to buy as well as ammo, which is what I have been focusing on lately. Vepr's were available and nobody knew they would get sanctioned, so why rush to buy one?

I'll give you the $1400 comment although. that price came a few weeks after the announcement.

Last edited by RF57; 08-06-2017 at 01:38 PM.
RF57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:52 PM   #949
praxidike

AKaholic #: 191101

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaco View Post
I've been buying guns for 20 years, 16 of those years with AKs. So I'd say I've spread out my purchases a bit hehe.

It is only that if a gun comes onto the market that I am interested in, i start saving up money or sell a different gun to get the money to buy it. If I am not interested, I don't worry about it.

What I don't understand is if a person wasn't sure he wanted a VEPR at $1,000 and so waited and debated...why did he all of a sudden have to have one when they were $1,400+?
Why couldn't he find the money when the gun was less expensive? but found it right away after it was banned and thus more expensive?

As I said, its all about priorities.
Like everyone else, I thought I had time and never thought they'd be banned with Trump in office. So to answer your question, I wanted one off of a sudden because preban, bills and other firearms took priority. After the ban, buying a Vepr moved to the top of my bucket list because it was a now or never situation.

Like if I asked you, in order, what are the top 5 firearms you want to buy. Of course, you'd be saving up to buy the firearm that's at the top of your list first, and plan on getting the others later. Crossing them off your list as you go. Now if unexpectedly the last firearm on your list is banned and may not be available later, logically it will be moved to the top of your list.
praxidike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:56 PM   #950
praxidike

Quote:
Originally Posted by RF57 View Post
Because there are other guns to buy as well as ammo, which is what I have been focusing on lately. Vepr's were available and nobody knew they would get sanctioned, so why rush to buy one?

I'll give you the $1400 comment although. that price came a few weeks after the announcement.
They were hard to find and sold out everywhere day of the announcement. Most people who did get one right after the announcement had their orders canceled. I was seeing the $1400-$1600 price tag the day of on GunBroker and Armslist. I should know. I searched the web high and low for one at reg price.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:03 PM   #951
RF57
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxidike View Post
They were hard to find and sold out everywhere day of the announcement. Most people who did get one right after the announcement had their orders canceled. I was seeing the $1400-$1600 price tag the day of on GunBroker and Armslist. I should know. I searched the web high and low for one at reg price.
They were out there for a little while. I passed on several FMs and bought 2 thumbholes for $700 each, then decided I wanted an FM about a week later. I ended up paying $250 more for it(FM74) than I would have if I snagged one right away. Oh well, you snooze you lose sometimes. The Vepr-12 mags is where I got screwed, those were gone almost immediately. I kept an eye on K-var and eventually bought what I wanted at a significantly higher price than they were just a couple weeks earlier. But I got them, and in a couple years from now, the extra money spent on them wont sting so bad.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:52 PM   #952
praxidike

Quote:
They were out there for a little while. I passed on several FMs and bought 2 thumbholes for $700 each, then decided I wanted an FM about a week later. I ended up paying $250 more for it(FM74) than I would have if I snagged one right away. Oh well, you snooze you lose sometimes. The Vepr-12 mags is where I got screwed, those were gone almost immediately. I kept an eye on K-var and eventually bought what I wanted at a significantly higher price than they were just a couple weeks earlier. But I got them, and in a couple years from now, the extra money spent on them wont sting so bad.
I searched EVERYWHERE and left no rock unturned for a FM just hours after and days after the ban. I think it was a week or two later that I was able to grab one from Kvar at the retail price of $1000. A few members here where able to get one from them. We had to call and/or PM them to get one as they didn't have them listed in their sites. They were just about the only company that didn't price gouge on the FMs...

As for the v12 mags, I didn't car for them anyway. They're low capacity, polymer, and too expensive. I prefer the metal csspec mags over them. No, they're not OEM, but they're better than OEM IMHO.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:47 AM   #953
RF57
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

Quote:
I searched EVERYWHERE and left no rock unturned for a FM just hours after and days after the ban. I think it was a week or two later that I was able to grab one from Kvar at the retail price of $1000. So you did find one. A few members here where able to get one from them. We had to call and/or PM them to get one as they didn't have them listed in their sites. They were just about the only company that didn't price gouge on the FMs...

As for the v12 mags, I didn't car for them anyway. They're low capacity, polymer, and too expensive. I prefer the metal csspec mags over them. No, they're not OEM, but they're better than OEM IMHO.
FMs went up at K-var too, that's were I got mine.

How are 8 and 10 rd V12 mags low cap? I'm sure Csspec work well and I'll get some eventually but they are kinda ugly and look heavy.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:16 AM   #954
Martensite
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 188470

Quote:
So what did you pay? Like praxidike...I paid MSRP (1K) a week after the announcement. I never saw them any cheaper at K-var.
Martensite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:19 AM   #955
praxidike

Quote:

How are 8 and 10 rd V12 mags low cap? I'm sure Csspec work well and I'll get some eventually but they are kinda ugly and look heavy.
Yea I found one at Kvar who seemed to be the only ones who had them, but they weren't listed on their website for purchase. They charged me their prepan price...

I was referring the mags that ship with the rifles. The 10 rounders Ive seen were around $100. Only a fool or someone with money to blow would pay that price fir a polymer mag when there are other cheaper mags on the market that'll perform the sane function. The CSSpec mags arent much different in looks and weight than the metal AR and AK mags.

Last edited by praxidike; 08-07-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:12 AM   #956
Nolagt

AKaholic #: 187804

Same here got mine from kvar for 999 a few days after. I had got thumbhole in the other flavors but went back for an 11 and they had some.
Nolagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:50 PM   #957
RF57
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martensite View Post
So what did you pay? Like praxidike...I paid MSRP (1K) a week after the announcement. I never saw them any cheaper at K-var.
Not cheaper, they went up to $1250 about 2-3 weeks after. Houston said he had one left and FIME had raised the price.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:59 PM   #958
RF57
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

Quote:
I was referring the mags that ship with the rifles. The 10 rounders Ive seen were around $100. Only a fool or someone with money to blow would pay that price fir a polymer mag when there are other cheaper mags on the market that'll perform the sane function. The CSSpec mags arent much different in looks and weight than the metal AR and AK mags.
A fool and his money or someone that's been through a few bans and know the value of buying original equipment while it's still available.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:15 PM   #959
mishaco

AKaholic #: 190226

You might want to think about where you are pointing that finger. The Republicans in Congress have been pushing for a tougher stance against Russia all year. They want to be seen as strong and standing up to Putin.

Besides, Republicans have historically always been tough on imports, under the guise of helping American business and all that.
Dems have gone in more for domestic bans and stupidity about scary looking features.
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:32 PM   #960
RF57
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

Who's pointing fingers?
Old 08-07-2017, 03:38 PM   #961
Justice06RR

AKaholic #: 168431

Quote:
Yea, they never wanted one or at least never care enough to buy one when they were only $699, but now that they are almost $900 and banned, they are must haves.
They are must have's because of the ban, obviously.

I've always wanted a V12 to go with my S12, but my current budget does not allow the purchase now or before.

When I looked last month, the lgs I go to still has fixed stock V12's for $899.
Justice06RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:50 PM   #962
Browning Hi Power

AKaholic #: 191931

As I mentioned in a diffferent thread, these (FMs) are already becoming scarce on gunbroker. I could be wrong, but to me that's pretty significant this early on and indicative of a scarce supply. These are going to get expensive IMHO.
Browning Hi Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:16 AM   #963
HK-91
Way out of box thinker

AKaholic #: 162925

Get'em while you can, just got this in my email.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/comp...m_medium=email
Old 08-17-2017, 08:54 AM   #964
RockyTop1911
More AKs Please!

AKaholic #: 186184

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK-91 View Post
Get'em while you can, just got this in my email.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/comp...m_medium=email
Seen that myself. I still have a sporter that I may convert one day with some Ironwood Furniture made for the slant cut receiver.

For now, I'll enjoy my FM Folder.
"The Constitution is the guide which I never will abandon." George Washington "Runaway government threatens our economic survival, our most cherished institutions, and the very preservation of freedom itself." Ronald Reagan "It depends upon what the meaning of the word is, is." William Jefferson Clinton "I've now been in 57 states." Barack Hussein Obama
RockyTop1911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:32 AM   #965
Nolagt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyTop1911 View Post
Seen that myself. I still have a sporter that I may convert one day with some Ironwood Furniture made for the slant cut receiver.

For now, I'll enjoy my FM Folder.

I like there stuff. I dont have any of it but I have on order the stuff for the FM11 when they have it ready to ship. Might get some for the sporter I have as well idk.

Does anyone have a pic of that set above on one of there VEPRs?
Old 08-17-2017, 11:37 AM   #966
RockyTop1911
More AKs Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolagt View Post
I like there stuff. I dont have any of it but I have on order the stuff for the FM11 when they have it ready to ship. Might get some for the sporter I have as well idk.

Does anyone have a pic of that set above on one of there VEPRs?
I'd like to see that also. The FM Ironwood looked very nice on the pics I saw a while back. I have Ironwood on my SAM7R and it fits like a glove. Excellent stuff.
"The Constitution is the guide which I never will abandon." George Washington "Runaway government threatens our economic survival, our most cherished institutions, and the very preservation of freedom itself." Ronald Reagan "It depends upon what the meaning of the word is, is." William Jefferson Clinton "I've now been in 57 states." Barack Hussein Obama
Old 08-17-2017, 11:46 AM   #967
Nolagt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyTop1911 View Post
I'd like to see that also. The FM Ironwood looked very nice on the pics I saw a while back. I have Ironwood on my SAM7R and it fits like a glove. Excellent stuff.
I dont know what pics were out there but they sent me these when I asked about them for the FM

Old 08-17-2017, 12:02 PM   #968
RockyTop1911
More AKs Please!

Quote:
I dont know what pics were out there but they sent me these when I asked about them for the FM

Yeah, these are what I saw also. Very nice. I thought they were suppose to have these ready to go by now. Maybe the stopping of imports of the VEPRs has halted the production?
Old 08-17-2017, 12:05 PM   #969
Nolagt

I just emailed him to ask what the update was. I talked to him in June and he was thinking a couple weeks and I should have got in on the first run. I am just realizing a couple weeks have long since passed lol
Old 08-17-2017, 09:07 PM   #970
ohlongarm

AKaholic #: 193447

Quote:

I'm sold.
ohlongarm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:50 PM   #971
Nolagt

Finally got my iron wood fm11 furniture and got it installed. Loving it!

Old 09-13-2017, 01:19 AM   #972
Wa22ioR

AKaholic #: 130855

Quote:

Looks fantastic. I am scared to ask the cost and wait time though.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:37 AM   #973
Nolagt

The set was like 325...took a cpl months but when I contacted him he hadn't shipped the firsts ones out yet. I got them a few weeks ago just haven't had time to swap it out. Everything fits snug...love it.

Little morning wood...I mean wood in the sun

Last edited by Nolagt; 09-13-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:19 AM   #974
RockyTop1911
More AKs Please!

Quote:
The set was like 325...took a cpl months but when I contacted him he hadn't shipped the firsts ones out yet. I got them a few weeks ago just haven't had time to swap it out. Everything fits snug...love it.

Little morning wood...I mean wood in the sun

Beautiful!
Old 09-13-2017, 09:36 AM   #975
Atlantic Firearms
Curio & Relic
Vendor

AKaholic #: 4032

Awesome rifle and great pics
Atlantic Firearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:39 AM   #976
LXD55
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 177980

Quote:

Pretty. Wrong mag....
LXD55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:08 PM   #977
Nolagt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXD55 View Post
Pretty. Wrong mag....

Thanks everyone! Ah yes not the mag that came with it.

The mag that shipped with my FM from Kvar was a 5 rounder. I see some say shops with 30 round mag. Not sure what was up with that. I'm sure Russian 30rnd mags are impossible to get now or are sky high?

Last edited by Nolagt; 09-13-2017 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:29 AM   #978
Nolagt

Found some like new Russian 40 rounders for $37 and some grade B+ 30 rounders for $24. I am sure thats higher than norm but not as bad as i thought. How good are grade B+ mags?
Old 09-14-2017, 08:00 PM   #979
hartmanart

AKaholic #: 173806
Location: Pennsyltucky, on the front line of the fight for freedom

I just ordered an FM-AK308-22 from k-var even though they were not listed as being in stock. If there is a model you are looking for give them a call they may have one.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:11 PM   #980
Nolagt

That's how I got that fm11. I called and asked if they had any in the back. That was around the ban tho before the price increase. I have a 308 and 54r 20" I may sell too...got too many at once lol.