Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Survival and Preparedness

Notices

Old 09-12-2017, 01:48 PM   #71
Sigiloso
Banned

AKaholic #: 185454

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAVAGE11 View Post
I live in Ohio close to central Ohio, not sure how well tobacco will grow here. Will look into it though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigiloso View Post
A small update here. I started some of the "Gold Dollar" tobacco seeds mentioned earlier in the thread, about two weeks ago, along with my peppers, tomatillos and tomatoes.

The tobacco is up and they are probably just under a quarter inch tall. Since I still have 5-6 weeks before I can think about setting them out, they should be getting there by the time I am ready, ...if I can keep them alive.

16 starter pots with several plants in each, that will get thinned as they grow.

Revived the thread for another update. I transplanted the tobacco plants to the garden when they were about 4-6 inches high, in early June. A single thirty foot row, ten plants.

I topped them about a week 10 days ago and they are now a good 5-6 feet high, with some nice large leaves. Looking forward to cutting them and putting them up to dry and cure before the first frost, which could come any day now.

I live north of most of the population of Canada, in zone 2, and they have grown well, no pests and no diseases, short of some aphids taken care of with a spray bottle of soapy water. So it shouldn't be a problem for most here to grow it. I imagine I live farther north, or at least as far, as anyone here, save the boys in Alaska.

Low maintenance, I only fed them once or twice with some Miracle Gro and did one weeding. Being sick a good portion of the summer I didn't have much time or energy for the garden this year and they are one of the few crops that thrived in my absence, along with the grapes. Not much to put up this year, but at least I'll have tobacco and alcohol (wine).
Sigiloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:32 PM   #72
IrishCannon
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174643

What's the best cup-ready coffee for LTS?

I don't wnat to deal with roasting green coffee beans after SHTF.
IrishCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:54 PM   #73
jmano

AKaholic #: 164016

My opinion is that dollar for dollar and ease of storage, bulk .22 ammo is way better barter and much more useful to collect.
jmano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:00 PM   #74
IrishCannon
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmano View Post
My opinion is that dollar for dollar and ease of storage, bulk .22 ammo is way better barter and much more useful to collect.
sounds like a guy that doesn't drink coffee in the AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:09 PM   #75
fpk762
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 166849

Ground or whole bean wont store very well as it ages. Ground coffee looses its flavor and potency pretty quick compared to whole bean. Instant coffee on the other hand will store for decades. Whatever you decide do not store coffee in the fridge or freezer its best in an air tight container in the back of a cabinet.
fpk762 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:25 PM   #76
IrishCannon
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpk762 View Post
Ground or whole bean wont store very well as it ages. Ground coffee looses its flavor and potency pretty quick compared to whole bean. Instant coffee on the other hand will store for decades. Whatever you decide do not store coffee in the fridge or freezer its best in an air tight container in the back of a cabinet.
I've heard all this, and in addition, have found green coffee beans in mylar are probably the best option; roasting as needed after the SHTF.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:28 PM   #77
fpk762
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 166849

Definitely! Green beans can be stored a very long time without much loss.
fpk762 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:52 AM   #78
jmano

AKaholic #: 164016

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCannon View Post
sounds like a guy that doesn't drink coffee in the AM.
Haha I definitely drink coffee, but any I store would be for me. I just meant the references to it as a trade item.

Coffee's easy though, freeze dried instant will last forever...not as good as fresh but we'll all have to make sacrifices.
jmano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:25 AM   #79
Ram Rod
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 182786

I can deal with instant coffee................if I have to.
Tobacco? It does have more useful purposes than smoking. I use tobacco for wasp stings and it limits the swelling and the pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugroza View Post
In all seriousness I cant tell whether some of you are simply blind, ignorant or stupid..
DEFCON 3.3
Ram Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:44 AM   #80
New Guy
Senior Citizen Member

AKaholic #: 175728

I personally have used coffee that was over 5 years old. It was packaged in vacuum sealed plated steel cans. It was stored in a cool dry section of our garage. To me there was absolutely no difference in taste from any recently purchased cans. You could hear the air rush in when the can was opened. I would not expect this from any of the plastic container coffee that is out there on the market regardless of the name brand. Your results may vary from mine.
Upokojenec sem.
New Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:27 PM   #81
IrishCannon
Curio & Relic

Picked up some NAS tobacco for barter today. Gotta get some instant coffee still.