Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > SKSs, SVTs and other orphans

Notices

Old 09-12-2017, 10:10 AM   #1
JoeCorrado
Noob

AKaholic #: 193119
Default Russian SKS worth?

How good of a deal am I getting for a KBI imported Russian SKS that hasn't been fired since importation with all accessories and the original box for $500 plus tax? Has the manual, cleaning kit and a few stripper clips. Not exactly sure what else. Just wanted to make sure it's worth it sort of deal. I have another Russian SKS already that I paid a little over $300 for last year. It's in great shape but as good as this one.

WTB Hungarian AK-55 parts kit complete! A reweldable kit would be awesome!!
JoeCorrado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #2
Stoned_Oli
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 157099

Sure, go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Learned Hand
I often wonder whether we do not rest our hopes too much upon constitutions, upon laws and upon courts... Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it.
Stoned_Oli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:25 AM   #3
Boris Badinov

AKaholic #: 191152

That's not a bad price. With the accessories and box, it sounds like a fair deal.

Out of curiosity.

What year?
What arsenal?
Black paint or no?
Is it all matching?
Boris Badinov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:56 AM   #4
JoeCorrado
Noob

All matching, black paint and I think it's a 1950 or 1951. I'll post tonight when I know 100% on the year and other particulars. My other one is a 1954 and wasn't rearsenaled.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:38 AM   #5
Boris Badinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCorrado View Post
All matching, black paint and I think it's a 1950 or 1951. I'll post tonight when I know 100% on the year and other particulars. My other one is a 1954 and wasn't rearsenaled.
Black paint indicates refurb. If it's a heavy coat and if the bolt and carrier are also painted it's diminishes the collector appeal and value for re-sale.

Also all 1950 and some 1951 barrels do not have chrome lining so you'll want to check for barrel condition.

All 1950 and some 1951 guns will have the early style, bolt, carrier and firing pin. Early and late bolt and carrier assemblies aren't interchangeable with one another. Late style bolts wont work in early date guns and early bolts wont work in late design guns. Early style will limit your possibilities for replacement bolt/carrier/firing-pins.

$500 might be a bit high--even with the accessories.

If you want a shooter go for chrome lined refurb.

If you want a collectible early gun-- go for a non refurb or lite refurb.

Last edited by Boris Badinov; 09-12-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:34 PM   #6
dArK 47
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 167665

Nothing like an all-original Tula, maybe 52, in the almost reddish stock. Beautiful, and you really feel the craftsmanship. These are rare now.

Yooperjohn's sks pages are the go-to for SKS lore.
dArK 47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:20 PM   #7
JoeCorrado
Noob

It's a 1950 date on the receiver with the refurb mark. All numbers match it except for the stock. The original serial was lined out and restruck with the correct serial and is dated 1951. Has 3 stripper clips with it, oil bottle, cleaning kit, sling, and KBI owners manual/warranty card. Paint is really thick on it. It's a shame that this one was painted. Didn't have a chance to look at the bore. One other huge hiccup is the trigger is dead on it. I didn't take it apart but it doesn't do anything when pulled. Putting it on safe doesn't seem to change anything. Not sure what this means so I'm all ears on advice. It'll be a factor in my negotiations on price for sure.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:27 PM   #8
Stoned_Oli
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
It's a 1950 date on the receiver with the refurb mark. All numbers match it except for the stock. The original serial was lined out and restruck with the correct serial and is dated 1951. Has 3 stripper clips with it, oil bottle, cleaning kit, sling, and KBI owners manual/warranty card. Paint is really thick on it. It's a shame that this one was painted. Didn't have a chance to look at the bore. One other huge hiccup is the trigger is dead on it. I didn't take it apart but it doesn't do anything when pulled. Putting it on safe doesn't seem to change anything. Not sure what this means so I'm all ears on advice. It'll be a factor in my negotiations on price for sure.
Did you try it with the bolt in battery? There is a disconnector that prevents the trigger from working unless it is in the correct position, which is held partway down by the bolt.
Usually it isn't a good idea to dry fire an SKS though.
It may also be full of old cosmoline...

Quote:
I often wonder whether we do not rest our hopes too much upon constitutions, upon laws and upon courts... Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:29 PM   #9
Boris Badinov

Quote:

Non functioning trigger would be an automatic pass for me on this particular rifle-- as a black paint refurb in a force matched stock and a non-functioning trigger it is neither a collectible gun nor a shooter.

Is the gas port angled at 45degrees or is it curved?

On refurbed soviet sks45's the date on the stock and the receiver cover will not always indicate the actual date of manufacture. But there are certain design traits that will indicate if the date stamps are correct.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:30 PM   #10
JoeCorrado
Noob

I'm not sure about the gas port on the front. Honestly didn't pay attention to it. The gas tube had the serial electro penciled on. Neither here nor there but I wasn't sure if that's correct or not. Just figured I would mention it. The font used on the receiver looks a lot like the early ones in YooperJ's webpage. Depending on the price, I'll most likely still buy it. Would like to be a lot closer to $400 on it.

This makes my 1954 Tula look like a much better deal and I only have about $320 in it.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:35 PM   #11
JoeCorrado
Noob

I should have taken pics of it but I didn't. I'll try again tomorrow.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:48 PM   #12
JoeCorrado
Noob

Looking at YooperJ's website it does have the early latch on the dust cover. Still looking on there for more telltale signs from memory.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:56 PM   #13
Boris Badinov

Quote:
Looking at YooperJ's website it does have the early latch on the dust cover. Still looking on there for more telltale signs from memory.
You mean the early "eye-hole" style latch and not the later solid tab?

If it is the early style tab it would have to be a very early 1950 gun. Which could mean that it might have the 90degree front gas port. Which would make this an entirely different kind of sale.... and a HUGE STEAL at that price, even with the non-functioning trigger.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:42 AM   #14
JoeCorrado
Noob

It does have the eye hole latch for the receiver. It caught my eye originally because my Yugo and '54 Tula don't look like that. Never seen one like it. I'm still going to push the trigger issue and see what can be done on the price. I'm not buying it as a shooter. I collect, but, I still shoot the majority of my guns. Military surplus is how I got into guns and what sparked my passion. M1 Garand was my first and then a Mosin. I'll take some pics and then see about getting a host and adding them here.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:11 AM   #15
Boris Badinov

If it turns out to have the 90degree gas block...buy it even if he won't come down on the price.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:07 AM   #16
JoeCorrado
Noob

Has the newer style gas block with the 45 degree angle. Trigger works now. Not sure what happened but it definitely works now. Have pics on my phone. I'll see about getting them uploaded to a host site tonight.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:15 PM   #17
mike88
Lord of the Manor

AKaholic #: 170852

500 is a good price with the box, and extras. Sling included? The "bbq" paint is low maintenance, Arsenal refurbished and stored, these rifles are great! my 2 cents
Old 09-13-2017, 01:42 PM   #18
Stoned_Oli
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

If the bore is okay and every number matches, I would definitely pick it up for that.

Quote:
Old 09-13-2017, 07:42 PM   #19
JoeCorrado
Noob

Every number matches down to the bolt, piston, magazine, dust cover, gas tube, etc. Just the stock was force matched when it was refurbished. It has the date of 1951. Bore is dark. The rest of the gun looks great! All the metal surfaces were painted black unfortunately. It is what it is though. It's either I buy it or they're going to put it on Gunbroker for higher I'd imagine. I hate to over pay on it but I also believe I would regret it, should I walk away. Decisions, decisions....

Old 09-13-2017, 08:02 PM   #20
PzKpfw

AKaholic #: 181048

If it's an Izzy, grab it. Not too many of those, Tulas are the common ones.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:19 PM   #21
Boris Badinov

If it were me--I'd have passed at the first sight of the paint.

If it were a 90degree gas block, it'd be a different story.

There's a good chance that it might not clear $500 on GoneBroker. A lot of good deals get passed up in the Christmas season because folks have less to spend. I saw a whole mess of really nice sks's go for below market last winter.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:46 PM   #22
JoeCorrado
Noob

Decided to go ahead and pick this up. I put in on layaway just in case I change my mind. I think it will be worth it in the long run. Maybe I'll finally learn to post pics on forums sooner than later too. Lol