Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Mosin Nagants

Notices

Old 09-08-2017, 03:10 PM   #1
Jay-Rhino

AKaholic #: 193639
Default My Mosin Carbine collection of M44s and T53s

I'll help with getting the Mosin forum up too with some activity.

My Mosin Carbine collection of m44s & type 53's, started from early 2014 - late 2015. still way cheaper then, compared to today's prices. I'll need to post up all of my Mosin 91/30's, and my Finnish m27 and M39 VKT. The mosin carbines are fun as hell to shoot. The fireball that unleashes, always makes the heads turn at the range. Glad I stocked up on a bunch of 440rd spam cans of ammo, back when they were available. And priced at under $100 each and in the early $100s.
Top to bottom of my Mosin Carbines.
1953 Hungarian M44 - light brown (scored for $165 back in 2014 armslist)

1944 Izzy Russian M44 - prolly bought at $199 in 2014. blond (I refinished the wood, cause the orginal re-aresenaled shalac was pealing bad and was ugly to look at)

1944 Izzy Russian m44 - brown original stock. prolly bought at $229 in 2015.

1954 Chinese T53 - brown - scored for $128 total in 2014. (Needed to be de-cosmoslined, and had the wood refinished by a friend).

1956 Chinese T53 - brown - scored for $128 total in 2014. (Needed to be de-cosmoslined, and had the wood refinished by a friend).

Last edited by Jay-Rhino; 09-08-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Jay-Rhino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:23 PM   #2
BlackHills

AKaholic #: 159959

Nice collection of M44s.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:44 PM   #3
mike88
Lord of the Manor

AKaholic #: 170852

The Blond is real nice. Hard to find in such good condition
Old 09-08-2017, 09:31 PM   #4
BorisBadenov

AKaholic #: 180489

Look at all those cute baby Mosins! Very nice! I'm jealous. I need some carbines in my collection.
BorisBadenov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:16 PM   #5
hebie82

AKaholic #: 193869

Nice collection! I really like the blonde; but, than again Im bias

Aut cum scuto, aut in scuto.

Non ducor, duco.

Last edited by hebie82; 09-08-2017 at 11:19 PM. Reason: because Im a fucktard
hebie82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:49 AM   #6
Jay-Rhino

Thanks guys. Looking like quite of a few of you like the blond colored one that refinished. Used Golden oak stain by minwax and minwax wipe on poly. Kudos to nutnfancy. He refinished one of his mosins like that, and I really loved the look of his. So he inspired me use that same stain and finish on mine.

Here's also one of my 91/30s, Izzy hex rec, that I did that same way first, before the m44. I found some older photos and uploaded them on Imgur.

-----
Here some photos of that blond m44 before and after. Went and got them uploaded tonight. Hope you guys enjoy.

The m44 stock before. As you can tell, the shelec was shitty lookin.

Sanding. Yes very exciting.

Sanded complete

Stained with Minwax golden oak. Then 2 coats of Wipe on Poly by minwax.

Last edited by Jay-Rhino; 09-09-2017 at 12:55 AM.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:47 AM   #7
ncreptile
Build That Wall
Vendor

AKaholic #: 165174

Looking good!
ncreptile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:20 PM   #8
JoeCorrado

AKaholic #: 193119

Wow! Very nice! Trying to get a carbine or 2 in my collection. Problem is they're few and far between and everyone thinks their's are worth $400+. I've got my eyes open though.

WTB Hungarian AK-55 parts kit complete! A reweldable kit would be awesome!!
JoeCorrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:18 PM   #9
Choppa city

AKaholic #: 188753

Ill tell ya what. I was shooting at a friends land yesterday. I brought a steyr aug, psl, m1a1 paratroper carbine, saiga 12, french mas 49/56, s&w 629-3 44 mag, and an m44. Out of all the guns, we enjoyed the mosin the most. They were all asking how much, what country its from, what round, etc. And cant forget the huge fireball concussion.
Choppa city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:32 PM   #10
Stoned_Oli
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 157099

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCorrado View Post
Wow! Very nice! Trying to get a carbine or 2 in my collection. Problem is they're few and far between and everyone thinks their's are worth $400+. I've got my eyes open though.
Saw a beat up Hungarian for $175 at a recent gun show, they are out there.
The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered as the palladium (safeguard) of the liberties of a Republic; since it offers a strong moral check against the usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Learned Hand
I often wonder whether we do not rest our hopes too much upon constitutions, upon laws and upon courts... Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it.
Stoned_Oli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:48 PM   #11
Escape from NY

AKaholic #: 179890

OP:

I don't post my objections because I'm trying to give you a hard time. I must express my disapproval of stripping and refinishing the stocks of any old military rifles and I hope you realize that it's not personal.

I feel compelled to post a dissenting opinion to your posts because many individuals, especially those new to the hobby, have not yet formed their opinion on refinishing or modifying their rifles. I want those undecided individuals to know that many C&R collectors disapprove of such alterations and consider such actions to be little different than chopping the stock and lopping inches off the barrel.

In my experience, and I have been studying and collecting these rifles since the late '60s, many who alter their old guns will someday grow to regret their actions.

First rule of collecting: Do no harm.
Escape from NY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:18 PM   #12
JoeCorrado

AKaholic #: 193119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoned_Oli View Post
Saw a beat up Hungarian for $175 at a recent gun show, they are out there.
I might be able to pick one up for about $200 depending on the price the owner comes up with. I did score a really nice 91/59 not too long ago but a buddy is getting it since I owe him a favor or 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape from NY View Post
OP:

I don't post my objections because I'm trying to give you a hard time. I must express my disapproval of stripping and refinishing the stocks of any old military rifles and I hope you realize that it's not personal.

I feel compelled to post a dissenting opinion to your posts because many individuals, especially those new to the hobby, have not yet formed their opinion on refinishing or modifying their rifles. I want those undecided individuals to know that many C&R collectors disapprove of such alterations and consider such actions to be little different than chopping the stock and lopping inches off the barrel.

In my experience, and I have been studying and collecting these rifles since the late '60s, many who alter their old guns will someday grow to regret their actions.

Gotta agree here. I let a buddy of mine refinish 2 of my Yugo Mauser's and my K31. There's no taking it back. On the flip side, they aren't overly rare rifles, especially Mosin's. It just makes those that keep them all original, more valuable. At the end of the day though, they're yours and you should be happy. That's all that truly matters.

WTB Hungarian AK-55 parts kit complete! A reweldable kit would be awesome!!
JoeCorrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:47 AM   #13
bbguns44

AKaholic #: 6939
Default Doubt it

The refinished M44 will sell faster & for a higher price than the unfinished version. That's what really counts. Purists are picky & cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape from NY View Post
OP:

bbguns44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:49 AM   #14
bbguns44

AKaholic #: 6939

How was the T53s refinished ? They look great. I've got a bunch of T53s with ugly original stocks. I want to refinish them.
bbguns44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:21 AM   #15
Escape from NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguns44 View Post
The refinished M44 will sell faster & for a higher price than the unfinished version. That's what really counts. Purists are picky & cheap.
I'm a proud and self-proclaimed purist and I have advertised that fact in the "signature line" on my Gun Boards posts since 1998. I have the same exact standards and beliefs I formed close to fifty years ago.

I am definitely "picky" and proud of that too.

And I am about as far from "cheap" as anyone who walks this earth.

I don't care if someone chooses to pay a few dollars more for a pimp-shined and butchered rifle. They have the right to make that choice and spend their dollars any way they desire.

And I have the right to consider them misguided fools with no appreciation of history and the tangible artifacts entrusted to our care.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:59 AM   #16
Jay-Rhino

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguns44 View Post
How was the T53s refinished ? They look great. I've got a bunch of T53s with ugly original stocks. I want to refinish them.
There are several youtube vids on different methods out there as well.

For the 2 T53s. I Sweated out the grease from the wood stocks, in a black trash bag outside under sun. For a few hrs. Then wipe off stock of with paper towels. Repeat as needed.
Some people use blow dryers to heat up the wood, to get rid of the cosmoline that was imbedded in the wood. Some others put them in the oven, to sweat the cosmoline as well.

Then after getting as much cosmoline removed as I could from the wood. I had 2 gunsmith friends refinish the stocks on them Nasty stocks. (Back before I learned how to refinish wood myself) they Just began sanding it down with diff degrees of sand paper and steel wool. Then after sanded down. Apply w/e stain finish you wish. And w/e protected coat after as well.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:47 AM   #17
Jay-Rhino

Only something that is rare, makes it more valuable and more collectible in the big picture..In which people should remember... When it comes to Mosins..it depends on the stampings, condition, and variant and how many produced and available..B/c Standard war-time produced 91/30 Mosins and m44s in general after the war, were mostly post-war re-arsenals/ refurbished = not original war time condition...and they are not rare or highly valuable or even that collectible, compared to other Mosin variants..like the Finnish Mosins whom are more rare and more collectible as 1 example.

During WW2 alone, Russia produced 17.5 millions of Mosins... after the war anyways, millions and millions of Mosins went thru the re-arsenaled and re-furbished process anyway, before they were put in storage for decades.
In which that case...those are not as collectible and valuable and let's say any type of Finnish Mosin and or a non-refurb Mosin matching variant,etc which are.

I have like almost 20 Mosin Nagant type rifles..91/30s, Dragoon, carbines, and a few Finnish Mosins. Me refinishing some Plain Jane Mosin's wood stock, that was already post-war re-arsenaled/ refurbished anyway, isn't hurting much of the value to begin with when the wood was already post-war re-finished. Some might consider them, worth more in buying over other people...Especially when thosands of collectors already, like myself.....keep the majority of their mil surplus Guns in stock form anyways....minus a few re-finishing jobs on non-rare Mosins to begin with...in reality doesn't make much of a difference. Since their are many thousands and thosands (millions) of Mosins kept in stock form as it is. Rare = more valuable...remember

To each their own. And in my opinion..I think one should always research what you have, before altering a military surplus gun. But if the rifle/pistol isn't rare, and not a highly collectible or valuable piece..who cares. And for people who choose to alter a rare piece, it's their gun to do with what they want anyways..despite their dumb choice to actually alter a highly valuable gun. In which this case these rifles aren't ..my M44 and 91/30 rifle..who were both re arsenaled..aren't rare and not highly valuable...And it doesn't hurt the value much. It also would appeal to some other buyers, who would pay more for something improved on.

Now for giggles..for example...I own a Tikka m27 Finnish Mosin. Now that is a rare Mosin variant example and valuable. So that = it remains in original stock form.

But at the end of the day. "Do what brings you enjoyment to you"

Last edited by Jay-Rhino; 09-11-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:04 PM   #18
Upgrade

AKaholic #: 174260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-Rhino View Post
There are several youtube vids on different methods out there as well.

For the 2 T53s. I Sweated out the grease from the wood stocks, in a black trash bag outside under sun. For a few hrs. Then wipe off stock of with paper towels. Repeat as needed.
Some people use blow dryers to heat up the wood, to get rid of the cosmoline that was imbedded in the wood. Some others put them in the oven, to sweat the cosmoline as well.

Then after getting as much cosmoline removed as I could from the wood. I had 2 gunsmith friends refinish the stocks on them Nasty stocks. (Back before I learned how to refinish wood myself) they Just began sanding it down with diff degrees of sand paper and steel wool. Then after sanded down. Apply w/e stain finish you wish. And w/e protected coat after as well.
Easy-off oven cleaner, then hold under the shower to rinse. Any nicks, gouges or other scars can be sweated-out with a damp cloth and iron.
Upgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:30 PM   #19
Jay-Rhino

Nice alternative method as well.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:07 PM   #20
mike88
Lord of the Manor

AKaholic #: 170852

I clean mine, very thoroughly, when I get em home. The wood on the Russian m44 Rifles has a beauty all its own. Some of the 50's era SKS have some wild patterns too. Sweat out the cosmoline, this may take more than one try. Direct sun here @ 100 degrees seems to do a good job. Mop it up with toweling, keep at it until no more weeps out. I work on the metal bits while this is going on. Just getting the metal really clean with oily rags and q tips does wonders. Bore is cleaned, this was checked before purchase, if possible. Scrub Chamber, check for any rough spots. I can smooth the crowning with a scotchbrite and my thumb, any buggered screws can be fixed with swiss files, check the firing pin condition and protrusion, check extracter and spring. I get ahold of a used or new sling for all my Milsurps, , use Hubbards Shoe Grease on the leather, if dry. The stock gets half and half mix of Turpentine and boiled linseed oil, then rubbed in. I keep rubbing ,using the liquid sparingly, until I like the feel of the wood. If I get no splinters in my hands or cheek, that is good enough for function. M44 are favorite in these. Had a few of the 69.95 Chinese ones in the 80's, the concussion is always FUN. We are merely curators of these artifacts, as another guy said. Gotta have em functional and fun too. YMMV
Old 09-12-2017, 12:41 AM   #21
Jay-Rhino

Nice score back then in the 80s for $69 for those Chinese T53's Carbines.
Back in 2014, local small shop acquired 11 T53s. All were caked in cosmoline. Some were mismatched numbers, some were all matching. And the bluing was decent to real good on those rifles. And all stocks had no cracks. But def needed a lot of TLC after they were decreased thoroughly.
Those T53s were stored in Albania in recent decades to my knowledge.
Since I did often business with them. They let me and some friends buy each for $128 total.
I snagged 2 T53s, 2 of my friends both got one each, and another friend bought 3
After being cleaned up and and getting those stocks looking good.. they turned into really nice fun shooters. My two T53s def have better triggers as well than your common Russian Mosin variant as well. Looking back, wish I had the funds then to buy more of em.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:37 AM   #22
Escape from NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade View Post
Easy-off oven cleaner, then hold under the shower to rinse. Any nicks, gouges or other scars can be sweated-out with a damp cloth and iron.
Easy-Off and steaming dents.

If you throw in some sandpaper you'll win the Triple Crown of stock butchery.

Gentlemen, I know you won't believe me now but I promise that most of you are going to outgrow this nonsense if you continue in this hobby long enough and you will look back with embarrassment on your mad rush to make your rifles pretty and shiny.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:46 PM   #23
csi-tech
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 168728

I have two carbines, an M-44 and a type 53 trials rifle. The only Mosin I have that I am definitely against changing or refinishing is my M-39 Sako. There are alot of folks who refinish and re-blue these, not me. I don't care near as much for my dime-a-dozen carbines. I take great care of them, but if they get banged up deer hunting or at the range, big deal.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:11 PM   #24
Rev06
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 185972

Beautiful work on the furniture.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:22 PM   #25
Jay-Rhino

Quote:
Originally Posted by csi-tech View Post
I have two carbines, an M-44 and a type 53 trials rifle. The only Mosin I have that I am definitely against changing or refinishing is my M-39 Sako. There are alot of folks who refinish and re-blue these, not me. I don't care near as much for my dime-a-dozen carbines. I take great care of them, but if they get banged up deer hunting or at the range, big deal.
Nice. I'm on that same boat with you. I only touched a few of my mil surplus ones (which were already refurbished after the war, by Russia anyways)...which didn't really matter in value that much...

But I'm definitely not touching my M27 Tikka Finnish Mosin, M39 VKT Finnish, my K31 and K11 Swiss 7.55x55 Carbines though.

All of my other 91/30s, in which most...are in good shape Russian re arsenaled/refurbished Hex Receivers, I won't mess with anyways...I have another Russian M44 (pictured above) that has a lot of stamps and cartouches on that stock, that will be left alone as well...considering the stock def has (no refurb mark either).
When I bought My Hungarian 1953 m44 (light brown above) I believe the stock was re-finished by someone else, when it got stateside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev06 View Post
Beautiful work on the furniture.
Thanks Rev.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:30 PM   #26
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

Milsurp firearm in non owner refinished condition will very often sell for higher prices than refinished.
Of course other factors like period correct stocks, matching numbers, more uncommon dates or features come into play.

At one time Mosin Nagant M44 and 91/30 rifles could be had for $79-$100. Maybe 4-9 years ago?

Today they are worth 2.5 times that amount and the short rifles like the M38, M44 and 91/38 and 91/59 even higher.

Each to their own enjoyment of the firearms and how they look or the need to refinish the firearm.

When German and other Mauser rifles were cheap., some were cut, chopped, painted, refinished and so forth. Today a $60 German Mauser from 1978 could be worth $800-$1500 easily if certain condition, year and so forth.

If refinished or modified., perhaps they are worth 20% to 25% of that value.

But such is the life of a milsurp and it's owner(s). Even after they leave the battle., the battle rages among collectors, shooters, modifiers, improvers, refinishers, personalizers and hunters etc.

All part of the hobby.
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote