Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > SVDs and RomAK IIIs

Notices

Old 11-14-2017, 05:43 PM   #71
ncreptile
Bill the Butcher for President
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 165174

And of course he was there at the factory to see them swap manufacturing procedures..
ncreptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:59 AM   #72
FullAssault
☆ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ☆

AKaholic #: 154920

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakentt View Post
True military grade PSL does not crack. Receivers made for export to USA are of lower quality steel.

We are talking about intended purpose here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullAssault View Post
How many “true military grade PSLs” do you or have you had access to? What type of tests have you ran on them to make this determination? Or by chance do you have this in print from a verifiable Cugir rep. Or is it just something else you’re seen or heard on a forum that you blindly take is gospel.
So hakentt, still waiting for your reply?
Old 11-15-2017, 11:12 AM   #73
voron
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 174098

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncreptile View Post
And of course he was there at the factory to see them swap manufacturing procedures..
took notes, pictures, etc.

BAN SIG 2017
voron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:40 PM   #74
hakentt

AKaholic #: 13228

Quote:
So hakentt, still waiting for your reply?
The only military grade PSL imported into USA are the first ones that had auto sear then where required to be returned. These got exported to the middle east to soldiers who shoot anything that they can find. If your really think heavy grain projectile would sheer off rear rivets on military PSL then think again. Romarm and Zastava both made higher quality rifles in their communist days. Today's production is not at the same quality level. Romania does not make LPS scopes anymore, all of those scopes are made pre 1989, all the PSLs they were selling were pre 1989, they had to make new low quality receiver's just for the USA market in mid 2000s.

Bottom line is SVD is 2moa rifle and PSL is 2.5moa rifle at best. Both can be outperformed by the cheapest ar10. Would I pay $4500 for 2moa rifle? No.
hakentt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:32 PM   #75
voron
Veteran Member

bottom line SVD is not a 2 MOA rifle. AK is though. Hence the PSL.

BAN SIG 2017
Old 11-15-2017, 05:15 PM   #76
FullAssault
☆ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ☆

Quote:
The only military grade PSL imported into USA are the first ones that had auto sear then where required to be returned. These got exported to the middle east to soldiers who shoot anything that they can find. If your really think heavy grain projectile would sheer off rear rivets on military PSL then think again. Romarm and Zastava both made higher quality rifles in their communist days. Today's production is not at the same quality level. Romania does not make LPS scopes anymore, all of those scopes are made pre 1989, all the PSLs they were selling were pre 1989, they had to make new low quality receiver's just for the USA market in mid 2000s.

Bottom line is SVD is 2moa rifle and PSL is 2.5moa rifle at best. Both can be outperformed by the cheapest ar10. Would I pay $4500 for 2moa rifle? No.
i didn’t ask for diversions & backpedaling, I asked for actual proof of your claims. DO you have actual hard proof that military PSLs are better made?
Old 11-15-2017, 05:21 PM   #77
ncreptile
Bill the Butcher for President
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 165174

Quote:
i didn’t ask for diversions & backpedaling, I asked for actual proof of your claims. DO you have actual hard proof that military PSLs are better made?
Mrs Cleo told him.
ncreptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:23 PM   #78
WolfmanReid

AKaholic #: 154786

Quote:

They definitely made LPS scopes well into the 1990s and I believe into the early 2000s. Berg has a photo of a 99 LPS on his website for example.
WolfmanReid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:16 AM   #79
savagebrother

AKaholic #: 162509

Jesus!!! You guys just love to argue with each other LOL!!!!!
The only SVD I ever got to fire was in 1979 and it was familiarization and we had some 7n1
Soviet stuff to shoot. We were shooting 2 to 3.5 MOA with this particular rifle and you had to keep it as close to the receiver as possible on the front rest bag. It was a lot lighter than it looked.
Now for my PSL, it was a kit gun starting out, had the original barrel too, picked this up in 2011. Well about 4 years later I found a nodac spud receiver, which has the squared off AK style at the rear of the receiver but also has the doubler plates. Well the original barrel was screwed up, (totally corroded to the gas block), soooo after a 2 year wait??? A préxis barrel shows up on my door step. Well I happen to get an adjustable gas block for it. Well then found a good smith to put things together and make corrections to the barrels machining.
Big thing I have found out about a PSL??? By adjusting the gas to just cycle the action it increases the accuracy a bunch as well as good ammo. I've only shot hornady ammo out of this gun, one for the brass and the other for cleaning. Any way a PSL can be tuned to shoot 1-1.5 MOA, oh and I can shoot any weight bullet I want.
SB

Old 11-16-2017, 01:43 AM   #80
FullAssault
☆ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagebrother View Post
The only SVD I ever got to fire was in 1979 and it was familiarization and we had some 7n1
Soviet stuff to shoot. We were shooting 2 to 3.5 MOA with this particular rifle and you had to keep it as close to the receiver as possible on the front rest bag. It was a lot lighter than it looked.
Now for my PSL, it was a kit gun starting out, had the original barrel too, picked this up in 2011. Well about 4 years later I found a nodac spud receiver, which has the squared off AK style at the rear of the receiver but also has the doubler plates. Well the original barrel was screwed up, (totally corroded to the gas block), soooo after a 2 year wait??? A préxis barrel shows up on my door step. Well I happen to get an adjustable gas block for it. Well then found a good smith to put things together and make corrections to the barrels machining.
Big thing I have found out about a PSL??? By adjusting the gas to just cycle the action it increases the accuracy a bunch as well as good ammo. I've only shot hornady ammo out of this gun, one for the brass and the other for cleaning. Any way a PSL can be tuned to shoot 1-1.5 MOA, oh and I can shoot any weight bullet I want.
SB

My Tigr averages around .75-1” with 182gr match and 1.5” with std 182gr ppu. So does my friends. Both our Dragunovs will out shoot the PSLs we owned. Especially after they heat up.

My PSL on the other hand got around 2.5” with 7N1 and Czech LB these were the best groups I ever got with it (the 7n1 didn’t shoot any better than the CZ). It averaged around 3-4” with everything else. none of the PSLs I saw or fired did any better regardless of ammo. In fact the worst groups I saw was with HB.

The PSL was an interesting rifle and for $500 is was a great deal BUT it is not as good as my Dragunov in any way except price. Here’s the real kicker, my old WASR would out shoot my PSL at 100yds.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:30 AM   #81
voron
Veteran Member

Quote:
My Tigr averages around .75-1” with 182gr match and 1.5” with std 182gr ppu. So does my friends. Both our Dragunovs will out shoot the PSLs we owned. Especially after they heat up.

My PSL on the other hand got around 2.5” with 7N1 and Czech LB these were the best groups I ever got with it (the 7n1 didn’t shoot any better than the CZ). It averaged around 3-4” with everything else. none of the PSLs I saw or fired did any better regardless of ammo. In fact the worst groups I saw was with HB.

The PSL was an interesting rifle and for $500 is was a great deal BUT it is not as good as my Dragunov in any way except price. Here’s the real kicker, my old WASR would out shoot my PSL at 100yds.
yea thats about what I get as well. Good point about the PSL's barrel when it heats up, it really tends to start spitting the rounds all over the place.

i had pretty good results using Hornady's 150 gr SST 0.311 bullets (strange, i cannot find them on the website now, but still have around 200 pieces at home) behind 44 grains of IMR 4064.
7N1 usually does really well, in its typical fashion of having a occasional flier that would open up the group to 1.5 MOA. 7N1 really starts to shine past 600 meters, where your regular PKM ammo shoots all over the place.

not surprised that your Wasr shot better that PSL. Its a gas piston gun with a longer barrel that is more prone to barrel whip.

lastly, the 1970s 202 grain Extra Olympic match brass cased ammo did not preform in my SVD. I suspect its the barrel''s twist rate. My Mosin sniper, however does exactly what the can's specs say on the front. fucking amazing.

BAN SIG 2017
Old 11-16-2017, 06:29 PM   #82
Mark75H
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 158645

My PSL doesn't shoot 7n1 any better than regular 188. It does shoot Czech a little better, but shoots under 2 moa with early 70's Bulgarian in the cardboard boxes.
Mark75H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:35 PM   #83
Towerofpower93

AKaholic #: 105103

Quote:
Originally Posted by voron View Post
i had pretty good results using Hornady's 150 gr SST 0.311 bullets (strange, i cannot find them on the website now, but still have around 200 pieces at home) behind 44 grains of IMR 4064.
That seems like a really mild load. I run the .311" 174gr Sierra SMK over 45.4gr of IMR4064 with a CCI#34 large primer in PPU brass.

Gets me 2500fps from my KBI SVD.

I ran that a few weekends ago for shits and giggles at the Staff shoot for a PRS match I was RO'ing.

Not running the PSO-1, but a 6-24x50 Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 on a low slung Molot SVD mount with a Russian tourniquet to add a little height to the cherkpad on the polymer stock.

Didn't do near as well as the 6.5 bolt guns, of course, but it was fun wringing the old girl out on the clock from awkward, improvised shooting positions. I tied for 12th out of 16 staff shooting, loosing the tie breaker stage to the other guy on time to come in 13th overall. Still beat two bolt gun .308s and the only other gas gun, an AR10 in .308.

Screwed up and didn't get any pics or video, unfortunately.

ETA: running a gas gun killed me in some regards as all stages had very limited round counts, most requiring the shooter to go one for one, and the recoil would bring me off the target and cause me to not see the splash from many of my misses, negatively impacting my ability to make adjustments to my windage and elevation holds. Guys on the glass spotting hits did say I was very consistent in my misses, so I think I'm putting a first focal plane scope on it in the future so I can adjust the magnification without having to do the math on the fly to change my dialed or held elevation adjustments. Either way, was a blast to go put 190rds through the SVD over a weekend of shooting which is as far from benchrest as you can get.

Last edited by Towerofpower93; 11-16-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Towerofpower93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM   #84
voron
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towerofpower93 View Post
That seems like a really mild load.
indeed it is. You dont always get the best accuracy using hottest loads. Another very good (and this one almost compressed load) was using 46.8 grains of TAC by Ramshot. That shit sends that projectile almost nearly 2,700 fps at the muzzle.

Quote:
still waiting for this as well

BAN SIG 2017
Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM   #85
voron
Veteran Member

dt

BAN SIG 2017
Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM   #86
Towerofpower93

AKaholic #: 105103

Quote:
Originally Posted by voron View Post
indeed it is. You dont always get the best accuracy using hottest loads. Another very good (and this one almost compressed load) was using 46.8 grains of TAC by Ramshot. That shit sends that projectile almost nearly 2,700 fps at the muzzle.
Very true, a fast miss is never better than a slow hit.

My 174gr SMK load is an honest 1.5MOA 5 shot load and holds together at distance compared to the 182gr PPU and 180gr S&B Match loads with far fewer fliers.

I've only messed with the 174gr SMK and 200gr Lapua D166 in the SVD and the 174s in the Tiger/SVDS.

Didn't think the slower Tiger twist rate probably wouldn't do any favors to the D166 so I never tried them in it. At .60 each I didn't feel like burning through a 45rd OCW ladder to discover they won't group, haha.
Towerofpower93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:01 PM   #87
Holescreek

AKaholic #: 124983

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagebrother View Post
SB

If you're using a Prexis barrel you should slug the bore. 99% of his barrels were Green Mountain .308 blanks. I received one too, and it is .308.

The good news is if you handload you can choose from a larger variety of projectiles. The bad news is that if you're firing 54r surplus .312 rounds through it you're getting about 15k psi more chamber pressure than you should.