Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Old 04-15-2019, 10:29 PM   #36
1biggun
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 6541

I'm a big chevy fan but a 87 motor home??

Forget gas mileage it's not going to happen.
You might make it some better but most stuff are going to need premium fuel to get much of a gain.

Unless your increased compression any gains are made from burning more fuel and air. That means less MPG.

Increasing the compression makes more power with the same amount of fuel but it also brings more heat and after a certain point better gas.

With out electronics it real hard to control pre ignition.
It's also hard to control perfect fuel to air ratio .

Things like headers can help but is a louder RV what you want?? RVs are no fun to work on .
If the rings and bottom end is good yo uhhh could do heads for about $1200 for aftermarket , a cam for around $ 300 and a better intake say $200 and a good carb or maybe step up to aftermarket fuel injection.
Headers and exhaust stuff $450 or so.
Wont smog if it's a issue .

If I ever get A big RV it will be diesel. .

I have 10.75 to 1 488" BB going together for a altered roadster type drag car .
Aluminum heads have gotten a lot cheaper and better in the last 15 years.
I'll be possibly running a NOS fogger with about a 100 shot jetting and a second stage system with twin 150 shot plates under a pair of 660 Holleys on a tunnel ram .
I'll see how a 1700 or so pound car hooks before getting to carried away . I should be about 500 honest HP or more at the crank with no NOS maybe a bit more .
1biggun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:34 PM   #37
PermaAK
Organiarchist
Contributor

AKaholic #: 188710

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreek! View Post
Oval port engines didn't come with 11 to 1 compression in 1970, only the LS6 450 horsepower motor did and that engine had the large rectangular port heads. At best it's a 10 to 1 compression 360 horsepower LS-5 engine if it has oval ports.
Pistons were changed to run on LNG. I have the original slugs.
BTW, why would you stick a huffer on such a weak set of heads?
Hell, if you’re gonna pressurize the back of the valve, go big or there is no damn point IMO unless you’re just out to profile.

Last edited by PermaAK; 04-15-2019 at 10:42 PM.
PermaAK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:45 PM   #38
PermaAK
Organiarchist
Contributor

Just curious about the motor home.
It wouldn’t happen to have one of the old Eaton OD’s stuck on it would it?
Old 04-15-2019, 10:52 PM   #39
TheGreek!
ALPHA MALE

AKaholic #: 157160

Quote:
Originally Posted by PermaAK View Post
Pistons were changed to run on LNG. I have the original slugs.
BTW, why would you stick a huffer on such a weak set of heads?
Hell, if youre gonna pressurize the back of the valve, go big or there is no damn point IMO unless youre just out to profile.
What weak heads are you talking about? Not the ones on my supercharged motor I hope, those are a set of rectangular port open chamber heads from a 502 with 2.19 intake and 1.88 exhaust valves, they're not some plane jane oval port lo po heads. The heads on the 454 that I removed from the car are some old closed chamber oval port 396 heads, they're not the heads that are on the supercharged 454.

I dream of the day when dead liberal bodies litter the streets
TheGreek! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:59 PM   #40
PermaAK
Organiarchist
Contributor

Quote:
What weak heads are you talking about? Not the ones on my supercharged motor I hope, those are a set of rectangular port open chamber heads from a 502 with 2.19 intake and 1.88 exhaust valves, they're not some plane jane oval port lo po heads. The heads on the 454 that I removed from the car are some old closed chamber oval port 396 heads, they're not the heads that are on the supercharged 454.
Those heads are so weak when it comes to flow vs valve lift throughout the RPM range.
Again, step it the fuck up to AFRs or whats the point of leaving 100 extra pounds of cast iron shit on the front and than stacking a hair dryer on top of that?
After all that, youre sticking it on the front of one of the worst cars ever when it comes to getting the SOB to rotate on instant center.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:17 PM   #41
TheGreek!
ALPHA MALE

Quote:
Those heads are so weak when it comes to flow vs valve lift throughout the RPM range.
Again, step it the fuck up to AFR’s or what’s the point of leaving 100 extra pounds of cast iron shit on the front and than stacking a hair dryer on top of that?
After all that, you’re sticking it on the front of one of the worst cars ever when it comes to getting the SOB to rotate on instant center.
Shows what you know about big block Chevy heads, it obviously isn't much. Big port open chamber 502 heads are good heads, they're not junk by far. They're far better than the weak ass oval port heads YOU have on YOUR big block. The intake ports on the 502 heads flow 325 cfm which is pretty close to what the AFR's flow. I'd be happy to put a set of aluminum AFR heads on it, wanna give me the 3-4 grand that they cost so that I can buy a set? I got the 502 heads from a friend of mine for next to nothing, the money I saved by going with those instead of a set of AFR's paid for the blower setup. For the cost of a set of AFR's I got a set of big port 502 heads and an 8-71 blower with carbs. What would give me more power, a set of AFR's and no blower or a set of 502 heads and an 8-71 blower for the same money? It doesn't take a genius to figure out the answer. I'm not made out of money, I had to spend what I had put aside for the build wisely on the build. Pissing away 3 grand or more on a set of heads that won't make much more power than the 502 heads isn't a very smart way to spend money. If I want more power I'll just turn up the boost, I don't need a set of AFR heads to make huge power with my engine. Oh and as for your opinion of the car I put it in, I don't give a shit what you think about it. I'm not building a pro drag racing car, I'm building my dream car. I'm not building it to compete at the track, I'm building it because it's what I've always wanted to have. If I was building a pro drag car it would be a AA/fuel altered or a dragster, it wouldn't even be a car.

Last edited by TheGreek!; 04-15-2019 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:29 PM   #42
PermaAK
Organiarchist
Contributor

OK dude.
I’m not trying to be a dick Greek. I love your cars and love the fact that you are an enthusiast.
Have a nice day.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:52 PM   #43
TheGreek!
ALPHA MALE

Quote:
OK dude.
Im not trying to be a dick Greek. I love your cars and love the fact that you are an enthusiast.
Have a nice day.
Well it sure sounded like you were being a dick, sorry if I took it the wrong way. Like I said, I'm not building a pro drag car, I'm building my dream car. I know that what I'm building isn't the optimum setup for the dragstrip but I don't care, it's what I've always wanted to have anyway. I love the 68-72 Corvette body and I've always wanted a supercharged big block, to have a '69 Vette with a supercharged big block is a dream come true for me.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:00 AM   #44
GuzziMike
DEPLORABLE

AKaholic #: 159432

Quote:
Well it sure sounded like you were being a dick, sorry if I took it the wrong way. Like I said, I'm not building a pro drag car, I'm building my dream car. I know that what I'm building isn't the optimum setup for the dragstrip but I don't care, it's what I've always wanted to have anyway. I love the 68-72 Corvette body and I've always wanted a supercharged big block,
to have a '69 Vette with a supercharged big block is a dream come true for me.
It's arguably a dream for a lot of us, as well..

Another dream Muscle Car for me would be a white 1970 Challenger with a 440 + blower.

-

PALMS 7.62-39: Though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I will fear no evil, for I wield a mighty AK, and I'm Reckoning to Go Medieval on thy Marxist Demons

-
GuzziMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:05 AM   #45
PermaAK
Organiarchist
Contributor

Quote:
Well it sure sounded like you were being a dick, sorry if I took it the wrong way. Like I said, I'm not building a pro drag car, I'm building my dream car. I know that what I'm building isn't the optimum setup for the dragstrip but I don't care, it's what I've always wanted to have anyway. I love the 68-72 Corvette body and I've always wanted a supercharged big block, to have a '69 Vette with a supercharged big block is a dream come true for me.
I get it.
I grew up with lead sleds and mega rods.
I took a different path and got deep into SoKal street racing.
After sitting in jail because of a sting, I went to rehab, but never got it out of my system.
Everybody wants something different. Thats why its the coolest hobby ever.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:14 AM   #46
TheGreek!
ALPHA MALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuzziMike View Post
It's arguably a dream for a lot of us, as well..

Another dream Muscle Car for me would be a white 1970 Challenger with a 440 + blower.

-
My dream Mopar is a hemi orange '69 charger Daytona with a cross ram 426 race hemi. Unfortunately that's a dream that I won't be able to achieve unless I win the lottery because that car would cost way more than a nice house.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:24 AM   #47
History
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 163408

It's crazy that gm put out such a large engine that's so weak as in my 94 3500. You can tell the potential is there but it's like just putting the tip in. My cummins does pretty good stock but still doesn't give that engine gasm like the tuned 6.0 my brother took me for a spin in.

Most of the larger affordable rvs have detroits in them. Most of the rvs done right have a four stroke diesel in them. So is an rv like a boat or private plane?? A hole you try and fill with money? I know the answer, just don't don't have the money. Usually costs more money when your in my situation.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:27 AM   #48
PermaAK
Organiarchist
Contributor

I know I’m old, but I remember when most RV’s had 440 Dodge engines.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:39 AM   #49
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

Quote:
I know Im old, but I remember when most RVs had 440 Dodge engines.
This a 1987 model.

The 440 motor home engine ended in 1979.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:46 AM   #50
History
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by allesennogwat View Post
This a 1987 model.

The 440 motor home engine ended in 1979.
He's so old he can't even eat cheese anymore.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:41 AM   #51
TomJerome

AKaholic #: 183476

I have '84 low compression GMC 454 with peanut port heads in my Chevelle. Edelbrock 650 AVS (engine has 5,000 rpm max), high rise intake, Isky 270 cam, recurved HEI, headers, TH400. It will roast the tires from a stoplight all you want and will still cruise comfortably at 75 mph. With 2.73's and a stock converter, I was getting 11/14.5 mpg. Now, with the 3.07's and 2000 stall I get about 9.5/12.5. That's going flat, downhill, or uphill, driving crazy or driving like gramma. It doesn't care and doesn't seem to realize what pitch is.

It doesn't take much to wake up these low rpm, high torque engines. Even though they're a Chevy design, the behave more like the BOP torque monsters that would often embarrass Chevys on the road and at the strip. Most guys mis-tune these engines with carbs, converters, and gears that would be fine for typical Chevelles, but way too extreme for this rpm range. Right now it's tuned so well from carb to rear end that I don't think of changing anything on the engine.

It sounds like sacrilege, but with these motors you have to think more like a BOP guy than a bowtie guy. All that torque will pull highway gears with no problem, and then there's no need for 6,500 rpm, at least not on the street. My cars a driver with some spirited action, but I'm between 1500 and 3000 rpm 90% of time. Theoretically, 5,000 rpm would put me at about 130 mph. I've had it to 120 without touching the floor, but the car started to Corvair on me and I had to back off.

You can do a lot with very little with that engine.
TomJerome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:56 AM   #52
JohnFreeman
The bane of my existence
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 4244

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post

Forget gas mileage it's not going to happen..

Who cares about gas mileage though... it's cheap cheap cheap...
Old 04-16-2019, 09:57 AM   #53
Aceshigh
Lord Dingus

AKaholic #: 5008

Not everyone gets to achieve their dream car.

By the time we get financially solvent enough in our lives to do it, 99% of the time there's
going to be more efficient and more powerful engines out there to tempt us into curveballs.

I think the cars unique and cool. If it's your dream car, and you finally got her going, rock that bitch!!!.
Most guys never achieve a Dream car

Hell my dream car was always a Lamborghini. I have to wait for a recession to get even remotely close.
My dream hot rod was always a Dukes of Hazard Challenger or blackout Challenger

I don't see either one happening anytime soon.

Quote:
Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort. John F Kennedy 1961
Aceshigh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:36 AM   #54
8Ton
Contributor

AKaholic #: 176504

I am a ford guy with no 454 specific advice but have built several motors for trucks, and made an attempt at getting fuel mileage from a big block, so here is what I've got:
Iron heads vs aluminum - iron heads are much more resilient in a truck that will see heavy loads and higher temps. They also can be cheaper, but some areas machine work is so high that aftermarket heads start making sense. I would try to find a good flowing factory head with a good chamber design and spark plug location. Something like the 502 heads Greek has.

I use this site to research heads:
http://users.erols.com/srweiss/table...hevy_Big_Block

I usually do a little blend, smooth to the ports. Just knock down rough casting chunks, machine marks and misaligned areas. Make sure your intake and head ports line up well.

Keep compression reasonable, 9-1 is plenty for something so heavy. If you can, coated pistons tops for extra protection. Much more than that and you may need to run premium, but your cam choice ultimately determines this. Look at dynamic compression.
Make sure your piston to head clearance is tight- .035-.045. Many stock engines are .055+ sacrificing throttle response, power and economy. Head gasket choice and deck height is what controls this. Plan on checking for piston to valve clearance too.

Cam should have healthy lift with mild duration. There are TONS of RV cams out there. Likely even the mildest will be a big step up from stock. Don't be tempted by hot rod or race cams. Most cam company's have tech lines and can make recommendations based on your set up.
Make sure your valve springs are compatible with your cam choice. Again, don't go overboard. Extra spring causes more friction and wear.

I always use ARP rod bolts, and prefer to polish and shot peen the rods for extra strength. If you are paying for the work, it MAY be cheaper to get some sportsman grade rods. Lots of super strong, light options out there now. Rods can't be TOO strong in a truck.
Have rods, crank, balancer and flex plate balanced. Make sure all oil holes are clean, deburred and align well. Some on the block can often be blended or enlarged for better flow.

Some engines like high volume oil pumps, some like more pressure. ARP usually has high strength oil pump drive shafts that resist twisting from the extra force of pushing more oil.

Oil pans on trucks are usually with out baffles. I like to fab up something basic to encourage oil to stay near the sump. Also windage trays help keep oil from whipping around the crank case, robbing mileage and power. They are a very minor gain, but can usually be had for $75-$100
Extra oil capacity is never bad if you can fit it.
For an RV, I would want to set up a thermostat controlled oil cooler.

Exhaust- Cheap headers leak. Iron manifolds are restrictive. You also need to see what will fit. A set of heavy duty stainless headers will help power and MAYBE mileage. There may be factory manifolds that flow much better than 1987 stock. If mileage is a goal, retaining a EGR will help economy but not cruising power.
Run an appropriate sized mandrel bent exhaust with an x pipe and some good sized turbo mufflers. A pair of glass packs post muffler can kill out drone.

Are you experienced with carburetors? Yes- make sure you get one that is reasonable for a RV. I heat Q-jets can be great for power and milage if built right. Idk. Holley style carbs are what I know and hate. I have had luck with the Quick Fuel slayer vacuum secondary carbs. A 650 or so should be fine. Leave the giant carbs for the race guys. Edelbrock makes a Carter clone that is well regarded for driveability and mileage.

A aluminum dual plane intake with a 4 hole spacer is usugly a good bet.

No- pony up for a aftermarket efi set up. There are several "drop in" ones now. They take the place of a carb. Sometimes efi performs well with low to medium rise single plane intakes.

Mileage- this isn't a prius. BUT it can do better than factory. The differance between 7mpg and 14mpg can be several hundred dollars savings in a year/per trip.
Hot ignition with a well curved distributor is a must.
Overdrive and a low stall/well matched torque converter will help as well.
Ultimately your driving style is the biggest factor.

Good luck!!

Last edited by 8Ton; 04-16-2019 at 11:06 AM.
8Ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:13 PM   #55
1biggun
Curio & Relic

Some really good power and torque can be made with oval port heads with the bigger valves.

If aftermarket is not in the budget then you can still get good power.

I ran factory oval ports on a lot of jet boats . 5000 RPM was pushing it. The oval ports made more low end power .

I ran square port vette heads on my old V drive with 12.1 compression. Boat ran over 100 MPH IN the quarter. It made around 800 HP. Roller cam tunnel ram twin Predator crabs. Stock forged crank factory rods.
Rod went through the bottom of the boat unfortunately when the prop came out of the water and the engine hit about 30,000 RPM LOL.

I have been tempted to try some of the $900 aluminum Ebay heads on a engine.
No clue if there any good .

My 57 vette had a big block in it for awhile
Car went mid 10,s with a 427 and turbo 400 around 1979.
I have considered putting a BB back in if I could reduce some weight. Aluminum heads, water pump would help. Not that it handles worth a crap anyway.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:52 PM   #56
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

The regular oval port heads flow about 10% more than big block Mopar heads, both intake and exhaust.

Big valves in those flow even more.

The thin stem valves flow more and are lighter weight as the big valves are heavy and require quite a bit of valve spring to control them at RPM to avoid valve float.

Big block Chevy heads have replaceable valve guides.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:18 PM   #57
1biggun
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by allesennogwat View Post
The regular oval port heads flow about 10% more than big block Mopar heads, both intake and exhaust.

Big valves in those flow even more.

The thin stem valves flow more and are lighter weight as the big valves are heavy and require quite a bit of valve spring to control them at RPM to avoid valve float.

Big block Chevy heads have replaceable valve guides.

The 488 BB I just did has oversize exhaust with thin stem ( same diameter as SB chevy)
It will be on a nitrous engine and the bigger/oversize exhaust is better than a bigger intake ( so they claim )
Besides I had the valves left over from the race boat.
I actualy cut them down to a smaller size to make them fit .
Old 04-17-2019, 09:36 PM   #58
1biggun
Curio & Relic

The lower end torque in a heavy vehicle is the BB biggest feature.
In a RV you will be lucky to see 3800 RPM unless your
Holding it down a gear.

Things get expensive trying to make one run at high RPM.
A good street engine for a heavy car or truck can be done fairly cheap with small cam intake and carb on a early stock engine.

Last edited by 1biggun; 04-17-2019 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:44 PM   #59
PermaAK
Organiarchist
Contributor

Oval port vs slightly larger AFR.
https://www.cartechbooks.com/techtip...er-head-guide/
Old 04-17-2019, 09:45 PM   #60
Barth
Likes Suchkas

AKaholic #: 168359

I'm no motorhead.
But we are talking about a motorhome right?
Why not a Cummins Turbo Diesel?
Barth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:48 PM   #61
Aceshigh
Lord Dingus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barth View Post
I'm no motorhead.
But we are talking about a motorhome right?
Why not a Cummins Turbo Diesel?
Cost to buy the powertrain and do the swap yourself is still probably

3x the value of a 1987 Motorhome.

Quote:
Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort. John F Kennedy 1961
Old 04-17-2019, 10:23 PM   #62
JimMac
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 169345

if you want to just get a little more power and not swap heads, cam etc and really not getting much more put of it
Just order a weiand mini blower and dual exhaust and be done with it.it will run under 3000 bucks, you can swap it out when you sell your RV. jim
JimMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:27 PM   #63
Aceshigh
Lord Dingus

This may be of interest. Bolt on's netting 231hp more HP

Quote:
Old 04-18-2019, 12:01 AM   #64
Ram Rod
Ruler of Ramnation
Contributor

AKaholic #: 182786

I thought that Dodge has replaced most everything that Chevy ever had hopes for in the way of gasoline engines. While car show still happen across this nation in predominantly white neighborhoods, the muscle cars and power house engines of the 60s, 70s, and 80s are heavy and inefficient now.
True horsepower has a new dimension these days. It should after years of over-paid engineers going to Red Lobster or Steak and Ale for lunch every day and getting nothing done at work.
Those fuckers eventually got fired and went to work for pharmaceutical companies that really don't give a shit if anyone ever gets cured of anything, and they just hand out excuses as to why you might die due to taking their drugs since your quack physician prescribed them for you.
So forget speed, torque, the rumble, and solid steel going down the road these days. Big brother says you can't have any fun, and if you do, they'll be right there to kick the living $$ out of your ass and send you down river for possibly risking lives of innocent civilians. Nobody should be able to possess and much less pilot a 2-3 ton projectile in public or on public roadways. It's just not conducive to the well-being of humanity and the safety of the masses.
Sometimes my Hemi still surprises me. Still rather have one of the best Ford Mustangs. Chebby pretty much got left out on this run. They put a small block in large vehicles that got people killed.
You either need more of this and less of that or less of that and more of this. Once you pair all of that shit with intelligence or lack thereof, you're delving too deep into territory that was never meant to be spoken of in public.

Quote:
An armed citizenry, willing to fight, is the foundation of civil freedom. - Robert A. Heinlein
DEFCON 3

MAGA
MAWA
KAWA

Last edited by Ram Rod; 04-18-2019 at 12:06 AM.
Ram Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:29 AM   #65
silvermane_1
Dweller of Honk-Honk-istan

AKaholic #: 170966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshigh View Post
Not everyone gets to achieve their dream car.

By the time we get financially solvent enough in our lives to do it, 99% of the time there's
going to be more efficient and more powerful engines out there to tempt us into curveballs.

I think the cars unique and cool. If it's your dream car, and you finally got her going, rock that bitch!!!.
Most guys never achieve a Dream car

Hell my dream car was always a Lamborghini. I have to wait for a recession to get even remotely close.
My dream hot rod was always a Dukes of Hazard Challenger or blackout Challenger

I don't see either one happening anytime soon.
Same here Aces, my dream car is a Pegaso Z series, there are only a quite litterally a hand full left in the world.
"Sic semper nova orbis terrae ordinatio collectarius"-Me

i'm a anti-zionist: http://www.antizionism.org
---------------------------------
BAN SIG 2018-19
silvermane_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:36 AM   #66
History
Curio & Relic

This would be nice also,,,

Theres a build video of this that pretty cool.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:51 AM   #67
Aceshigh
Lord Dingus

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermane_1 View Post
Same here Aces, my dream car is a Pegaso Z series, there are only a quite litterally a hand full left in the world.
Well I hope you at least get to take a ride in one , one day.

Everyone should at least get to experience their dream car, if you can't own one.

Quote:
Old 04-19-2019, 02:17 AM   #68
silvermane_1
Dweller of Honk-Honk-istan

AKaholic #: 170966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshigh View Post
Well I hope you at least get to take a ride in one , one day.

Everyone should at least get to experience their dream car, if you can't own one.
Tanks there Aces, that sad/bizarre thing about the Pegaso Z's is the racing examples all crashed because their drivers didn't think they were going that fast in them, eventhough they were kicking the competition ass, Pegaso Z's were basically Spain answer to Jaguar/Ferrari and even the Corvette, in fact they came out the same time frame as the Corvette in early 1950s. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegaso_Z-102
"Sic semper nova orbis terrae ordinatio collectarius"-Me

i'm a anti-zionist: http://www.antizionism.org
---------------------------------
BAN SIG 2018-19

Last edited by silvermane_1; 04-19-2019 at 02:26 AM.
silvermane_1 is offline   Reply With Quote