Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Saigas and VEPRs

Notices

Old 01-23-2019, 10:57 AM   #316
csspecs
Spam bot
Vendor

AKaholic #: 157229

We are wrapping up the production run of that mystery project.. So we are back onto our restocks and the 6.5g

It was another one of the PMDP models (Parametric magazine design process). Same as the M14 .30-06, 20 gauge and the soon to be 6.5g vepr mags.. Basically it eliminates 90-95% of the design work by parametrically controlling a design by suppressing features as needed.

We did set something of a record on that one. From concept to 10 complete samples in 30 days.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:48 AM   #317
flakman

AKaholic #: 190767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meataxe556 View Post
Now that the Serbian military has adopted the 6.5 Grendel, perhaps the new Zastava USA could be persuaded to import or manufacture the magazines for the US market.

I'm tired of the wait, have moved on to other projects while the 6.5 G Vepr collects dust, which is a shame because the cheap Wolf ammo has generated a lot of interest in this caliber.

KVAR still seems to have plenty of 6.5 G Veprs on the shelves of various barrel lengths...why? No spare mags, not even the 10 rounders.
But you don't know if those zastava magazines will work on vepr either. Just have some patience
flakman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:52 AM   #318
flakman

Quote:
Originally Posted by csspecs View Post
We are wrapping up the production run of that mystery project.. So we are back onto our restocks and the 6.5g

It was another one of the PMDP models (Parametric magazine design process). Same as the M14 .30-06, 20 gauge and the soon to be 6.5g vepr mags.. Basically it eliminates 90-95% of the design work by parametrically controlling a design by suppressing features as needed.

We did set something of a record on that one. From concept to 10 complete samples in 30 days.
That great. I am looking forward to the 6.5 Grendel and Vepr 223
Old 01-29-2019, 01:18 AM   #319
Meataxe556
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 160303

Quote:
Originally Posted by flakman View Post
But you don't know if those zastava magazines will work on vepr either. Just have some patience

Fuck Patience. This thread has been going on for over two years.

And I'll also fuck Charity, Hope and Chastity.
Meataxe556 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:12 AM   #320
flakman

Quote:

Ok, so who is going to make magazines for these banned rifles? find me company who is willing to take on those projects? CSSPECS could have easily said, forget about it. Lot money involved into machinery, tools and other stuff. I understand they taking time, that don't mean they not making it. Patience or not, you don't have choice. You welcome to make your own magazine and sell to others. If it great, I buy it.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:54 PM   #321
csspecs
Spam bot
Vendor

Quote:

The thread started when the rifle was imported.

Tooling blocks are cut and sitting in a stack waiting to get milled.. These are happening.

By the way, two years ago, it was saiga-20ga, .30-06 vepr, galil .308, Romanian m69 22lr, or 6.5 Grendel.
We actually built M-14, Romainain m69, Saiga 20 gauge, .30-06 vepr, galil .308, Jts-12... And one mystery product.

So the 6.5G is coming... Sorry if it is not as fast as it could have been..

Last edited by csspecs; 01-29-2019 at 02:38 PM.
csspecs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:53 PM   #322
DOS AK's
Most interesting rifle in the world
Gold Contributor

AKaholic #: 177786

I just picked up some of your Vepr 308 mags as part of a 308 rifle deal. Your mags are of outstanding quality!

Barry Goldwater
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice!"
DOS AK's is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:52 AM   #323
Meataxe556
Curio & Relic

Quote:

Tooling blocks are cut and sitting in a stack waiting to get milled.. These are happening.

By the way, two years ago, it was saiga-20ga, .30-06 vepr, galil .308, Romanian m69 22lr, or 6.5 Grendel.
We actually built M-14, Romainain m69, Saiga 20 gauge, .30-06 vepr, galil .308, Jts-12... And one mystery product.

How many .30'06 Veprs, Galil .308s, Romanian m69s, Saiga 20 ga., etc. not to mention Valmets are there in circulation here in the US? These are pretty esoteric models / calibers.

6.5 Grendel has a tremendous amount of of interest, especially with dirt cheap Wolf ammo available -- just no mags available for AKs. You can get barrels, but no mags, which is what's holding the 6.5 G AK back from exploding in the marketplace. Hint Hint.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:32 AM   #324
flakman

Quote:

Thanks CSSPECS. sorry for some impatient people who tunneled visioned
Old 01-30-2019, 10:34 AM   #325
flakman

Quote:
How many .30'06 Veprs, Galil .308s, Romanian m69s, Saiga 20 ga., etc. not to mention Valmets are there in circulation here in the US? These are pretty esoteric models / calibers.

6.5 Grendel has a tremendous amount of of interest, especially with dirt cheap Wolf ammo available -- just no mags available for AKs. You can get barrels, but no mags, which is what's holding the 6.5 G AK back from exploding in the marketplace. Hint Hint.
May be so, but there still limited amount of Vepr 6.5 x Grendel that was imported. So I don't blame them making magazines for some other rifles that would make more money and its their choice at what order they make magazines. Just have little more patience
Old 01-30-2019, 01:35 PM   #326
csspecs
Spam bot
Vendor

Quote:

I assure you there is a logic or reason behind every choice.

The .30-06 was actually much more popular at the time.. And we sold a TON of those magazines. It actually uses a fair number of existing welding fixturing from the M-14 magazine. It was actually the first new magazine done on a new software that we made that auto generates tooling designs.

The .22lr magazine was a personal project, it was my first gun, I got it when I was 14 and only ever had one magazine for it.. And we actually sold a lot of those.. There are about 90,000-200,000 of those rifles out in circulation.
The other consideration is that it only took about 9 days of work to tool up for, so by hours it is the most profitable item ever, even undercutting imported magazines from taiwan by $2 each it is more profitable than pretty much anything else we make.

The Galil .308 and JTS-12 we did because they worked off existing tooling.

The Galil is an M77 magazine with an extra notch in the front (laser drawing change) with a different front stamping, and a different milling on the back.
It was a two day project to design and test and right to production, we already had the tooling setup from making vepr 308 magazines so we made about 200 of them inside of two days... They are a bit of a slow seller, but it's another small pie slice that adds to the yearly whole.

JTS-12AK is a saiga-12 magazine, with a vepr-12 front stamping with special milled part front and back. I made the first one with an angle grinder, which is the one in the indoor range video. We took another day to zero in the angles and contact points and went right into production.

The 6.5G magazine is an ALL new rifle magazine, no recycled parts, no reused tooling.. Everything new. Same story for the one we just finished up, everything is brand new stuff.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:09 PM   #327
1biggun
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 6541

Quote:

I'm in no hurry. Guys who are bitching need to the back of the line.

Guys who are patiant would love a AK files first in line discount

I have the rifle and barrel. If these fit a AKM mag well in the front I'll make it work from there.

I suspect a good portion of the mags you make wont ever be on a vepr. I think if a mag works with a AKM trunion guys will build 6.5,s once there is a mag.

I have a factory 6.5 vepr mag . I ready know the mag well will need to be slightly longer .
I could build the rifle now but I want to be certain your mags fit it to.

I'll be happy when tbe Saiga 308 mags are back as well.
I have a project needing a few.

Thanks for taking time to up date us.
1biggun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:40 AM   #328
flakman

Quote:
I assure you there is a logic or reason behind every choice.

The .30-06 was actually much more popular at the time.. And we sold a TON of those magazines. It actually uses a fair number of existing welding fixturing from the M-14 magazine. It was actually the first new magazine done on a new software that we made that auto generates tooling designs.

The .22lr magazine was a personal project, it was my first gun, I got it when I was 14 and only ever had one magazine for it.. And we actually sold a lot of those.. There are about 90,000-200,000 of those rifles out in circulation.
The other consideration is that it only took about 9 days of work to tool up for, so by hours it is the most profitable item ever, even undercutting imported magazines from taiwan by $2 each it is more profitable than pretty much anything else we make.

The Galil .308 and JTS-12 we did because they worked off existing tooling.

The Galil is an M77 magazine with an extra notch in the front (laser drawing change) with a different front stamping, and a different milling on the back.
It was a two day project to design and test and right to production, we already had the tooling setup from making vepr 308 magazines so we made about 200 of them inside of two days... They are a bit of a slow seller, but it's another small pie slice that adds to the yearly whole.

JTS-12AK is a saiga-12 magazine, with a vepr-12 front stamping with special milled part front and back. I made the first one with an angle grinder, which is the one in the indoor range video. We took another day to zero in the angles and contact points and went right into production.

The 6.5G magazine is an ALL new rifle magazine, no recycled parts, no reused tooling.. Everything new. Same story for the one we just finished up, everything is brand new stuff.
Thank you for giving very though explanation, even you don't have to. Some people are short sighted and impatient. I am not gunsmith or builder, don't know everything comes to building magazines, but I do know it takes time and proper tooling and investment and risk to get those magazines on market. And I understand you don't want to rush and come out with crappy magazines too, its your reputation on platter. I am happy for you guys taking on this project. I don't see many companies, wait I don't see ANY other company taking on these projects. Trust me if you guys had patrion account so I can donate some money, I would. Some people you can't please no matter what you do or say
Old 01-31-2019, 10:05 AM   #329
Bret
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 2857

csspecs, if you need someone to test the prototype 6.5 Grendel magazines, I have a Vepr and plenty of ammo. I'm right up in Georgia, so I can get you the results fast.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:34 PM   #330
Sadly Missing
CRUSADER

AKaholic #: 167102

Any updates on this?
Old 02-17-2019, 10:07 AM   #331
flakman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadly Missing View Post
Any updates on this?
read above, recent conversations
Old 02-22-2019, 01:51 AM   #332
burninglegs
Where We Go One We Go All

AKaholic #: 183372

Quote:

Any updates or is this project forever put into vaporware category?
Old 03-11-2019, 05:32 PM   #333
1biggun
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by burninglegs View Post
Any updates or is this project forever put into vaporware category?
I have faith he will offer them.

Just put me near the top of the list for a couple when there ready or give us a heads up before the rest of the world is all I'd like.

I'm hoping these will run 6mm PPC as well .
Old 04-01-2019, 12:19 PM   #334
burninglegs

Quote:

We are in April now, how's the 6.5G project going? Almost done?
Old 04-01-2019, 07:15 PM   #335
Sadly Missing
CRUSADER

Gimme a G!
Old 04-15-2019, 12:24 PM   #336
Sadly Missing
CRUSADER

......Gimme a G?
Old 04-16-2019, 08:03 PM   #337
1biggun
Curio & Relic

I'm ready for mags now.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:02 PM   #338
burninglegs

Quote:
Vaporware at this point.
2 years and 3 months later, we are still at step zero.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:33 AM   #339
csspecs
Spam bot
Vendor

I said I will do it, it will get done.. There will be NO OTHER centerfire magazines before the 6.5g magazines from this point forward.. And at most one rimfire before.

I pushed one project ahead and I regret doing it. I think people would understand if they had the details, but I understand people questioning the timeline.

Also remember that I and everyone else here, are highly skilled construction workers in Florida, and we have had a LOT of emergency stuff the last two years.. We will work construction anytime people are willing to pay our rate which is kinda high, but we are a one stop shop that will work through the night.. Last few years there are a lot of people ready to throw huge amounts of money at their problems and we have been happy to solve their problems.. And we did a fair amount of charity stuff as well. We are not monsters.

I assure you that the 6.5g magazines do have my attention now and will be resolved shortly.. I have taken no ones money and owe nothing to anyone. My word is all I give and I am true to my promise, time is not something I have 100% control of. But this will be done.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:47 AM   #340
Meataxe556
Curio & Relic

Quote:
2 years and 3 months later, we are still at step zero.
Well, since nothing has yet materialized here, the Serbian military has adopted AKs in 6.5 Grendel, so we should all contact the new Zastava Arms USA and lobby them to sell us their military 6.5 mags (25 rounds, I believe). Wolf 6.5 G ammo is still plentiful and cheap. Sure, I'd love to give a Csspec mag a try, but despite numerous promises, they're still non-existent.

https://zastavaarmsusa.com/contact/

Last edited by Meataxe556; 04-19-2019 at 03:04 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:44 AM   #341
DrNRA
Masada Veterans Assoc

AKaholic #: 176619

Quote:
I said I will do it, it will get done.. There will be NO OTHER centerfire magazines before the 6.5g magazines from this point forward.. And at most one rimfire before.

I pushed one project ahead and I regret doing it. I think people would understand if they had the details, but I understand people questioning the timeline.

Also remember that I and everyone else here, are highly skilled construction workers in Florida, and we have had a LOT of emergency stuff the last two years.. We will work construction anytime people are willing to pay our rate which is kinda high, but we are a one stop shop that will work through the night.. Last few years there are a lot of people ready to throw huge amounts of money at their problems and we have been happy to solve their problems.. And we did a fair amount of charity stuff as well. We are not monsters.

I assure you that the 6.5g magazines do have my attention now and will be resolved shortly.. I have taken no ones money and owe nothing to anyone. My word is all I give and I am true to my promise, time is not something I have 100% control of. But this will be done.
I just want you to know....were all counting on you.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:10 AM   #342
Bret
Veteran Member

Quote:
Well, since nothing has yet materialized here, the Serbian military has adopted AKs in 6.5 Grendel, so we should all contact the new Zastava Arms USA and lobby them to sell us their military 6.5 mags (25 rounds, I believe). Wolf 6.5 G ammo is still plentiful and cheap. Sure, I'd love to give a Csspec mag a try, but despite numerous promises, they're still non-existent.
With non-7.62x39 AK's, it's a big leap to assume a magazine made for one gun with fit in another. Plus, there's the sec922(r) US parts thing for those wanting to reconfigure their Vepr. I'll wait for CSSPECS.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:26 PM   #343
Meataxe556
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret View Post
With non-7.62x39 AK's, it's a big leap to assume a magazine made for one gun with fit in another. Plus, there's the sec922(r) US parts thing for those wanting to reconfigure their Vepr. I'll wait for CSSPECS.
Yugo and other AK mags are basically interchangeable in 7.62x39 and (I would assume) in other calibers as well. The 6.5 G and 7.62x39 cartridges are almost identical dimensionally.

Hell, it's worth a try, especially in the absence of the long-promised Csspec mag. There are plenty of aftermarket AK parts available to comply with 922r, even with foreign mags.

Wouldn't hurt to contact Zastava USA and let them know that there's a ready market and pent up demand for their mags and rifles in 6.5 Grendel.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:30 PM   #344
Bret
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yugo and other AK mags are basically interchangeable in 7.62x39 and (I would assume) in other calibers as well.
Unfortunately, that would not be a good assumption other than for 5.45x39. 5.56x45 (223Rem) and 7.62x51 (308Win) magazines are not universally compatible between different manufacturers.

Quote:
There are plenty of aftermarket AK parts available to comply with 922r, even with foreign mags.
For a Vepr you can trade out the fire control group and gas piston, but you're still one part short unless you install a US buttstock, pistol grip and/or handguard. Those options are limited, especially given the slant cut receiver of the Vepr.

Quote:
Wouldn't hurt to contact Zastava USA and let them know that there's a ready market and pent up demand for their mags and rifles in 6.5 Grendel.
I agree that there'd definitely be demand for their rifles, but assuming their 6.5 Grendel mags would fit the 6.5 Grendel Veprs would not be wise for anyone financing the money making opportunity. They could get left with a bunch of 6.5 Grendel magazines that don't work in anything available in the US.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:53 PM   #345
flakman

Quote:

Sir, I am waiting and I have full faith that you will make them. Some are just impatient. And I understand their frustration. But first they don't get that this rifle is banned, its not like there any other company is jumping to make magazine for this rifle. I am not sure about other country that suppose to import or not.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:57 PM   #346
flakman

Quote:

https://zastavaarmsusa.com/contact/
dude, just because serbians adopted for their military don't mean it will somehow be imported here and don't mean it will fit vepr rifles. Saiga 223 can take bunch of different magazines, but Vepr 223 have limited options.
CSSPECS is not like new company, I have bunch of their products and they great. Yes they little pricey, but worth the price if you want quality. If you don't like, please make magazine that works and we buy from you.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:16 PM   #347
1biggun
Curio & Relic

Quote:

Thank you for the update.
I'm not in a great hurry.

Lot of guys talk shit . I dont see them selling g new products.
I never doubted you would not make these.
It's not like this is some Weapons Guild pay now get nothing in 10 years buy a spot in line crap deal.

I'll make it fit once I have a couple.

I already have a factory 6.5 vepr mag .
I'm just waiting to make sure yours will fit also when I build it.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:30 AM   #348
Meataxe556
Curio & Relic

Good news!!!

Got an email back from Zastava Arms USA, who acknowledged that there is much interest in the US market in 6.5 Grendel and that there was a possibility of importing their 6.5G AKs to the US.

I volunteered to purchase or otherwise test their 6.5 G mags in my Vepr and they encouraged me to get back to them later this summer when they have their inventory in country!

That's positive!
Old 04-20-2019, 11:34 AM   #349
flakman

Quote:
Good news!!!

Got an email back from Zastava Arms USA, who acknowledged that there is much interest in the US market in 6.5 Grendel and that there was a possibility of importing their 6.5G AKs to the US.

I volunteered to purchase or otherwise test their 6.5 G mags in my Vepr and they encouraged me to get back to them later this summer when they have their inventory in country!

That's positive!
That great and I applaud you to do that. but that don't still guarantees that they will import anything and that magazines will work on vepr. CSSPECS will make those mags, have some patience. They will make it. Every product they promised they came through. And they are sure thing for making magazine that actually works
Old 04-20-2019, 11:43 AM   #350
sboone
MAK Attacker

AKaholic #: 179556

Quote:
Good news!!!

That's positive!
I agree thats fine and dandy but the magazine has to work too. The M77 came over with a POS 10 round magazine, I got lucky mine worked, many didnt. The same magazine for the Americanized M77 is thebsame as for their military M77 but im sure their 20 round mags work great and the 10 round was an after thought. The 6.5 may very well end up the same way. We never got an appreciable amount of yugo 308 mags, we have CSSpec to thank for the ones we do have (I have 10 they are epic and I wish I had some of the 25's, maybe when time and $$$ allow). Moral of the story, even if we get some 6.5 goods from Serbia, dont expect them to be a gold standard, could be a turd, its about 50/50

Baby AK mags, not even full grown yet, get em here
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361671

Quitters accept defeat. Winners use liquid nails.
sboone is online now   Reply With Quote