Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Krinkovs

Notices

Old 03-18-2015, 12:43 PM   #1
WebDevDan

AKaholic #: 169570
Default M85NP - Convert to CANIS or other metal adapter?

I can't find a definitive answer on this - I want to be able to run AR mags in an M85 - either M85PV or M85NP. I'd love to have an M85PV so that I could install the adapter myself, and run standard M85 mags in addition to M4 mags, but the price has damn near doubled.

I know that an M85NP can't run standard M85 mags due to some milling at the front. BUT - Can an M85NP's plastic magwell be replaced with a higher quality metal magwell like the one from CANIS? If I could have a quality, metal adapter I'd probably never look back.
WebDevDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:49 PM   #2
oldflyer

AKaholic #: 175534

I have a M85NP and the only magazine that I have an issue with (due to the adapter) is the Korean 100 round dual drum magazine. Everything else fits perfectly, especially Magpul magazines. The gun does not like Thermold magazines; the bolt drags on the feed lips, but there is no problem with the magazine adapter.

BTW, I also have a CANIS Bastard adapter on a SLR-106. It is not metal, but some type of composite; again no issues with the adapter.
oldflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:53 AM   #3
WebDevDan

It's less about the mags that work and more about the fact that I just really, really don't like the polymer adapter.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:41 AM   #4
oldflyer

The only metal adapter I know of is the IMI adapters for the Galil. I've seen them advertised for sale in the Marketplace and Blackthorne has them for $99. They can be removed and you can use standard Galil magazines without the adapter. I don't know if they will work with a M85.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:19 PM   #5
CANIS Design Group

AKaholic #: 171203

All of our products are T6061 Aluminum that is Mil-Spec Anodize Type 3.

Wesley
CANIS Design Group is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:22 PM   #6
WebDevDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANIS Design Group View Post

Wesley
Wesley, thanks for chiming in!

I know the CANIS adapter works on the standard M85PV... have you guys tried it on an NP model, replacing the polymer magwell adapter?
Old 03-20-2015, 10:02 AM   #7
oldflyer

Quote:

Wesley
Well, you fooled me. Based on the weight and finish, I thought it was a high-tech composite. I stand corrected.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:17 AM   #8
phat69
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 156026

Canis have you ever thought of making the basrard with a trigger box to use an ar trigger group?

I have M72 buttstock 40451 (FANTOM carved on one side CW on the other with the milled stub.), I need 40880.
phat69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:09 PM   #9
Dogman

AKaholic #: 173996

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebDevDan View Post

I know the CANIS adapter works on the standard M85PV... have you guys tried it on an NP model, replacing the polymer magwell adapter?
So in !!!!
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:12 AM   #10
Mountain Man

AKaholic #: 171161

The M85NP magwell is solid, I have had 2, abused them, no problems, ran perfectly. Don't look for an answer to a problem that doesn't exist, just buy an M85NP, save your money and call it good.

*When you pick one up, take the Tapco AR mags it comes with, place them 10yds in front of you, and proceed to used them for target practice, they are complete crapt. I have been running Magpul M3 30 rounders and they drop free and run 100%.
Mountain Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:19 AM   #11
CANIS Design Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by phat69 View Post
Canis have you ever thought of making the basrard with a trigger box to use an ar trigger group?
No, can't say we have. It would probably be classed as a receiver if we did. Something we wouldn't want.

Wesley
Old 03-22-2015, 10:28 AM   #12
CANIS Design Group

Quote:

The location of the magazine release is not comfortable, and the four we have they stick when you push them. Seems cheap and cheesy. A metal magazine well with smoother operating surfaces and a more ergonomic (larger and better located) release would set it off. Overall they are fun to shoot and Andrew is looking at them as candidates for production.

Oh and a new rear trunnion (rivet type).... for the SBR crowd.

Wesley
Old 03-22-2015, 06:52 PM   #13
Mountain Man

Quote:
The location of the magazine release is not comfortable, and the four we have they stick when you push them. Seems cheap and cheesy.

Wesley
Agreed, the mag release does suck and one of mine did stick for a while until I broke it in, but both function great.

Canis have you thought about securing a mag adapter the same way the M85NP does, the front inserts like a magazine and a roll pin goes through the mag release area? I am a fan of the permanent mod vs the removable mag adapter. Plus trying to use old AK mags on a milled out trunnion works but has always seemed a little silly for me.

Any time frame on having more bastards back in stock?
Old 03-23-2015, 06:48 PM   #14
munchie3409

AKaholic #: 158100

It's funny that Canis replies in threads, but I've been waiting on them to reply to my email I sent weeks ago.

When are your adapters going to be available as everything you have seems to be OOS.
munchie3409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:06 PM   #15
CANIS Design Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchie3409 View Post
It's funny that Canis replies in threads, but I've been waiting on them to reply to my email I sent weeks ago.

When are your adapters going to be available as everything you have seems to be OOS.
My responses or Wesley's here was limited to a brief time when we had time in our schedule to respond and nothing more. We try our best to keep visible here for customers, even when we are snowed under with work. We can sit behind a computer and play with emails all day or run machines and make products to replace the OOS ones, but not both at the same time. We are working diligently to replace the items you've observed to be "OOS".

IF you did email us you should have gotten an auto reply which should explain what's going on. It would have looked like the following....

"Thanks for contacting CANIS Design Group. This email is an automatic
response generated from your recent message. Due to the large influx of
emails and limited time to respond during our busiest time of year we are
providing updates automatically through this response."

And further goes on with....

"For further information you can message us on Facebook at....

OR

By PM on the AKfiles.com Forum"

As far as giving time estimates, right now we are back ordered and it's growing every day. Christmas to Taxmas is historically the busiest time of year for us and when orders surge. Hence the auto reply was set up to help alleviate repetitive questions that clogs up our inbox.

We are a first come first serve company. That means I can tell you two weeks and in two weeks when you decide to order it may be another three (if there was a bunch of sales in between). Then again it may not, for that reason we try not to give estimates as they are always in flux and never accurate.

Andrew
Production Manager
CANIS Design Group

Last edited by CANIS Design Group; 03-23-2015 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:25 PM   #16
ThunderGod
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 62

Quote:
I can't find a definitive answer on this - I want to be able to run AR mags in an M85 - either M85PV or M85NP. I'd love to have an M85PV so that I could install the adapter myself, and run standard M85 mags in addition to M4 mags, but the price has damn near doubled.

I know that an M85NP can't run standard M85 mags due to some milling at the front. BUT - Can an M85NP's plastic magwell be replaced with a higher quality metal magwell like the one from CANIS? If I could have a quality, metal adapter I'd probably never look back.
The AR Magwell conversion is a one-way affair. You can't use standard, AK-style mags in a gun that has been converted to the AR magwell.

URCX: Your Best Friend on the Internet!

Neither Bee, nor Borg.
ThunderGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:44 PM   #17
Mountain Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderGod View Post
The AR Magwell conversion is a one-way affair. You can't use standard, AK-style mags in a gun that has been converted to the AR magwell.
Actually that is not true, it depends. The standard removable Canis magwell can be removed and even though the trunnion is hogged out, AK mags still lock in and on my Vepr they ran perfectly. If you use a more permanent mod like the Canis M4 "Bastard", DA conversion, or the factory adapter from Zastava then yes old mags are not going to fit in because you cannot remove the magwell.

But "yes" you can use AK mags on your milled out trunnion if you are using a removable Canis adapter. I don't make a habit of it and run Magpul M3 mags exclusively but it can be done quite easily.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:04 PM   #18
Mountain Man

Quote:

Don't worry about running standard mags, just go with the M85NP and enjoy! If canis comes out with a solid metal adapter later you can always upgrade but it will work great either way.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:34 PM   #19
smeeg
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 161925

Quote:
The location of the magazine release is not comfortable, and the four we have they stick when you push them. Seems cheap and cheesy. A metal magazine well with smoother operating surfaces and a more ergonomic (larger and better located) release would set it off. Overall they are fun to shoot and Andrew is looking at them as candidates for production.

Wesley
Do it! Would make me order one
smeeg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:29 AM   #20
JAC8504

AKaholic #: 185610

If Canis makes a metal adapter for the m85np & m90np I'll be buying 3...love them and the plastic does work , but I still have a tough time with the plastic adapters
JAC8504 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:48 AM   #21
JAC8504

AKaholic #: 185610

Canis guys, random thought.... Have you ever thought about making a adapter for the VEPR308 to accept AR10 PMAGS?
JAC8504 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:16 PM   #22
rlara333

AKaholic #: 164972

Any word on an adapter fitting the m85np

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANIS Design Gr[RIGHT
[/RIGHT]oup;2511522]The location of the magazine release is not comfortable, and the four we have they stick when you push them. Seems cheap and cheesy. A metal magazine well with smoother operating surfaces and a more ergonomic (larger and better located) release would set it off. Overall they are fun to shoot and Andrew is looking at them as candidates for production.

Wesley
rlara333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:22 AM   #23
censor1839
Gold Contributor

AKaholic #: 168059

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC8504 View Post
Canis guys, random thought.... Have you ever thought about making a adapter for the VEPR308 to accept AR10 PMAGS?
That would abso-f****n-lutely be a fine idea!!!!!
censor1839 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:24 PM   #24
uncommonsense
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 156801

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC8504 View Post
That is an interesting random thought.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:56 PM   #25
chewbaca
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 168240

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchie3409 View Post

Lmao 😂😂😂😂😂^^^^^^^
chewbaca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:58 PM   #26
chewbaca
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 168240

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommonsense View Post
That is an interesting random thought.
He said he was going to make one of those wayyyyyyyy back when difinitive made theirs but never did..... Vaporware like the vepr12 m4 stock adapter. He even said he was going to make one with a last round bolt hold open but guess what? ...... It never happened lol
chewbaca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:23 PM   #27
AKme

AKaholic #: 191052

I happened to check Canis' website about a month ago when they had the M4 conversions in stock. I rolled the dice and ordered one. It was on my door step within a week.

I installed it (most of the way) on my M85NP today. The hole right behind the trigger was the only one that lined up with any holes already in my receiver. I drilled a hole for the hole in front of the trigger and im still thinking about how i want to attack the hole in front of the mag well. I may try to jb weld a nut between the trunion and receiver, i dont think tapping the receiver will be stout enough.

GI aluminum mags and gen 1/2? pmags lock in, feed (hand cycling) and drop free. I tested this before i put the BHO in. The BHO is too tall and catches my bolt even when no mag is inserted so it needs to be filed down.

I hope to get more done, if not finished, tomorrow.
AKme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:55 PM   #28
AKme

AKaholic #: 191052

I got the BHO in and functioning properly. I have yet to shoot it, but it works as advertised with hand cycling.

the bolt release is ambidextrous, but its pretty much useless to release the bolt. It takes two hands to manipulate it and make it work as intended. I noticed that when I tried to push it down with my left thumb after I inserted a new mag, it would rock a little and bind up instead of pushing straight down. I found it easier to insert a mag then use the charging handle as you normally would on any other AK. Not a huge deal, but I wish it worked like its supposed to.
AKme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:56 AM   #29
Mountain Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKme View Post
I happened to check Canis' website about a month ago when they had the M4 conversions in stock. I rolled the dice and ordered one. It was on my door step within a week.
While your at it you should buy a lotto ticket, or three... Do you also possess and unobtanium or unicorn blood???

Seriously though, Canis's backorder wait and ridiculously small run of mag adapters is ridiculous, usually 13mos+, you should consider yourself extremely lucky. I have done Saiga and Vepr projects with their M4 adapters but every time I think about doing another one I just pick up a big hammer, place my hand on the table, and whack myself with it. Much less frustration and pain that way...
Old 05-19-2017, 03:13 PM   #30
travinh

AKaholic #: 179278

Please post some closeup pictures of your installed Canis adapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKme View Post
I got the BHO in and functioning properly. I have yet to shoot it, but it works as advertised with hand cycling.

the bolt release is ambidextrous, but its pretty much useless to release the bolt. It takes two hands to manipulate it and make it work as intended. I noticed that when I tried to push it down with my left thumb after I inserted a new mag, it would rock a little and bind up instead of pushing straight down. I found it easier to insert a mag then use the charging handle as you normally would on any other AK. Not a huge deal, but I wish it worked like its supposed to.
travinh is offline   Reply With Quote