Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Old 05-04-2012, 02:55 AM   #1
beefjerkly

AKaholic #: 75040
Default light mod to my AK

One thing that I've wanted to get on my AK for a long time is a light. I was just so fed up of looking for a simple way to get a light on my gun. I didn't want anything that bolted onto my barrel or a big cheesy plastic forend with rails all over. I wanted a mount that would keep the light as close to the gun as possible. So the bubba gun smith in me went through my parts bin and dug up some stuff...

first I found this little section of rail for a rem 870. I drove out the rivets and was left with just the rail. http://www.botachtactical.com/stre870shmo.html

Next I found a wood UHG. I recessed the section of rail down into it (not too far as to not weaken the wood). Then I epoxied it on. I'll head to the hardware store tomorrow and pick up some good nuts and bolts. There is plenty of clearance between the gas tube and UHG so I wont need to recess anything else...probably go with some decent sized washers and locktight everything down.

even now it seems pretty solid without the proper hardware. I have the streamlight tlr3 on there now. Its been a solid light on my handguns and shotgun for a long time; it should hold up to the recoil fine. Let me know what you think.
beefjerkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
hk1123
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 161499

Been thinking of the same thing myself - good job. Quick question - maybe it is a trick of the camera angle, but could the mount be "tipped" as in the butt is higher than the front? Pardon if I am incorrect.

WTB/WTT - stubs, barrel work
hk1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

They also make barrel clamp rails for lights etc.

Odd that your Bulgraian rifle has a Chinese rear sight ladder.
Stamped er up as 'USA'.

Last edited by AKBLUE; 05-04-2012 at 10:07 AM.
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
2Munkeez
Sheath Maker/Zombie Hunter

AKaholic #: 162305

are you gonna paint it black?

also - are you left handed? if my light isn't dead center, i want it on the other side so i can activate it with my thumb. you use your index finger?
2Munkeez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
beefjerkly

AKaholic #: 75040

its just the camera angle that makes it look crooked. Shining at the longest distance in my house its right on. I might paint it or throw on a wood LHG; it doesnt bother me too bad mismatched, it's really my go to AK not my wallhanger. On my AR I like the light on the other side but I have big hands and run out of real estate on the left side with the AK. Its just as easy for me to activate it with my index on the right side.
beefjerkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
2Munkeez
Sheath Maker/Zombie Hunter

AKaholic #: 162305

Gotcha

Kule mod
2Munkeez is online now   Reply With Quote