Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Full Autos

Old 04-04-2012, 05:38 PM   #71
Lord Ak-47
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 146144

So if you have an SBR/SBS/Silencer do you have to notify ATF every time you move?
Lord Ak-47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:04 AM   #72
irierider
Burning Liberals

AKaholic #: 159069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ak-47 View Post
So if you have an SBR/SBS/Silencer do you have to notify ATF every time you move?
I would think so, with my concealed handgun license I have to within 2 weeks or its revoked

"Oath" Krink shirt and the "I Built This" shirts with AK47 type 3 silhouette CHECK EM OUT!!
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1772178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnailed Saint View Post
These tards have been letting a lot of lead fly in front of my house. Two vehicles shooting at each other like negroid jousters aboard hoopty steeds.
irierider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #73
ShotgunKirk

AKaholic #: 161760

Hey thanks for all the good info. I have been told by MANY people that they can come in your home without warrent ect, ect. I guess the real confusion could come from being an owner vs a DEALER or manufactuer... right? It's nice to have thread without it turning into a pissing contest instead of information. That's why i'm here. Info. Keep up the good work felles!
ShotgunKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #74
David Teague

AKaholic #: 162037

Quote:
Originally Posted by irierider View Post
In oregon (i hear other states dont) you.must allow them to searxh your home as a condition. So you sign away your 4th right like they make junkies and criminals in court... Only reason i have no sbrs with suppresors. Fyi info regarding this was from 3 seperate large class III dealers who say it a formality and no big deal... I think it is a big deal!
Who is "them"? The BATFE? No... The Oregon State Police? The local PD? The Sheriff? Oregon might have a state law as part of the requirement to own now but they didn't back in the 1970's before I moved to Alaska.

I was a class III salesman back in the 1980's and it's seems the same myths never die.

As it was pointed out already, in 1934 they passed a gun act that created a national registration of NFA weapons and set up a tax on them. They didn't make them illegal nor denied a citizen from owning one, you just had to pay your one time, per item tax. It's a cute little $200 stamp.

Re: Moving. Yes you do have to contact the BATFE and notify them of the move if out of state on a form 5320.20. It's a registered weapon. I don't believe there is a requirement to file a 5320.20 from for an instate move, but some folks do just to be safe.

On the bright side, up here, suppressors, SBR's, SBS's and machineguns are quite common at the ranges and @sshats don't call the police.
David Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #75
Sweersa
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 157316

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Teague View Post

They didn't make them illegal nor denied a citizen from owning one, you just had to pay your one time, per item tax. It's a cute little $200 stamp.
$200 is cute today for most people, but in 1934 it was a hell of a lot. Well over $3,000 or so if you adjust for inflation.

It also made the process of obtaining NFA weapons a real fun time. They always take baby steps. Feed us little by little.

1.) 1934 NFA

2.) GCA of 1968

3.) 1986 FOPA (Hughes Amendment)

4.) 1994-2004 AWB (now expired)

Hopefully we see our rights returning. At the very least I'd love to have the Hughes Amendment repealed. Then the 1968 GCA.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #76
David Teague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweersa View Post
$200 is cute today for most people, but in 1934 it was a hell of a lot. Well over $3,000 or so if you adjust for inflation.

It also made the process of obtaining NFA weapons a real fun time. They always take baby steps. Feed us little by little.

1.) 1934 NFA

2.) GCA of 1968

3.) 1986 FOPA (Hughes Amendment)

4.) 1994-2004 AWB (now expired)

Hopefully we see our rights returning. At the very least I'd love to have the Hughes Amendment repealed. Then the 1968 GCA.
Well the Stamp is cute... but you are right, after the roaring 20's, Bonnie & Clyde, etc Congress felt the need to act and make NFA weapons out of the reach of the common man, but not illegal.

I was so PISSED when the 1986 FOPA (Hughes Amendment) was being pushed though in 1986 as I was a Class III sale rep at the time.

I gave the local NRA National Board member an ear full, but he didn't care as the 1986 FOPA was going to allow M1 and M1 carbines in along with other older military type weapons that hadn't been allowed in since 1968... guess what HE collected...

I'd love to see the Hughes Amendment go....

Cheers,

DT
Old 04-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #77
Rudy

AKaholic #: 1573

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ak-47 View Post

YES

Actually the ATF and the NFA division.

Rudy out

Last edited by Rudy; 04-12-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Rudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #78
Rudy

AKaholic #: 1573

I talked to the ATF at a gunshow in February. The guys were pretty nice. I commented on all of the silencers on display and the number of dealers at this show.

ATF told me that there is a bill in the house, it's still in committee, that was going to remove silencers from the NFA. Reducing noise polution seems to be a GREEN issue now. They want any mom and pop hardware store to be able to sell them without ANY paper work or tax.

They won't let it out of committee until we have a change in the whitehouse because the current imposter won't sign it.

I got my first FFL when Reagan was president. I had to fill out a postcard for my renewal.

When Clinton became prez, I had a 12 page form to complete. I had to provide a blueprint of my house, a description of my alarm system, waive my right to a search warrant, and waive my right to Doctor-patient confidenciality.

I really had to think that one thru before I renewed.

Rudy out
Rudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #79
David Teague

I was just filling out a new form 1 for my AK74U project when I came across this in the instructions:

Change of Description or Address: The registrant shall notify the NFA Branch, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, 244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, WV 2505, in writing of any change to the description of the firearm in item 4, or any change to the address of the registrant.

So yes, you must notify in writing if you move in state or change the weapon (like barrel length).

DT
Old 04-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #80
Lord Ak-47
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 146144

Quote:
I was just filling out a new form 1 for my AK74U project when I came across this in the instructions:

Change of Description or Address: The registrant shall notify the NFA Branch, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, 244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, WV 2505, in writing of any change to the description of the firearm in item 4, or any change to the address of the registrant.

So yes, you must notify in writing if you move in state or change the weapon (like barrel length).

DT
Thanks for info
Lord Ak-47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #81
Rollthelosingdice
Just Like You

AKaholic #: 158581

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortShot View Post
Someone told me recently that in order to own any NFA weapon you have to sign away some of your rights. He said that any owner for an NFA weapon must allow the ATF to conduct random home searches to verify compliance and ownership and whatever else that are looking for. I wanted to know if that is true and what rights do you give up in order to own a NFA weapon. Thanks
you're basically giving them a lot of money and all your information, fingerprints ect. I wouldn't do it. The government are extremely evil and corrupt men.
This is the moment when one needs morale; this is the time it pays to hold on to yourself, when everything is perfectly bloody and conditions are impossible, when one is an inch from letting go completely. Character comes through in moments like this, and those without fiber bend.
Rollthelosingdice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #82
Buckxo

AKaholic #: 5920

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroberts1968 View Post
It is amazing how little a law enforcement officer knows about the NFA laws. I was pulled over in W.TX by DPS and at the time traveled TX LA NM for my job, my truck gun was a AK74 and I carried 6 Magazines of 7N6 and a 1080 can in the toolbox. Now in TX this is legal. I also have my CHL. Well when DPS saw the AK in the back seat he asked if he could hold on to it well he checked my DL. On his return he asked if it was FA or SA I said SA and he then he began to struggle to open the DC I asked if I could help him in his inspection. when I field stripped it and he was looking in the receiver in a odd way he was changing the angle and up down side to side. I kinda giggled and he looked at me with a grin. I said you really have know Idea what your looking for or at do you? He giggled and said that obvious? Yes, I walked him through the finer parts of the AK and FA SA He then let me off with a warning.
I'm surprised how little the ATF agents know about the NFA laws!

V/R

Buck
Buckxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #83
mrabolli
Banned

AKaholic #: 3192

Quote:
Who is "them"? The BATFE? No... The Oregon State Police? The local PD? The Sheriff? Oregon might have a state law as part of the requirement to own now but they didn't back in the 1970's before I moved to Alaska.

I was a class III salesman back in the 1980's and it's seems the same myths never die.

As it was pointed out already, in 1934 they passed a gun act that created a national registration of NFA weapons and set up a tax on them. They didn't make them illegal nor denied a citizen from owning one, you just had to pay your one time, per item tax. It's a cute little $200 stamp.

Re: Moving. Yes you do have to contact the BATFE and notify them of the move if out of state on a form 5320.20. It's a registered weapon. I don't believe there is a requirement to file a 5320.20 from for an instate move, but some folks do just to be safe.

On the bright side, up here, suppressors, SBR's, SBS's and machineguns are quite common at the ranges and @sshats don't call the police.
its not quite so innocent. Yes you pay the tax but you are awaiting on "approval". Either local LE or trust but that means you are not free to exercise your second amendment rights. If the government is allowed to provide it then they can take it away. This should be changed.
mrabolli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #84
egs89
Merchant of Death

AKaholic #: 9633

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
I talked to the ATF at a gunshow in February. The guys were pretty nice. I commented on all of the silencers on display and the number of dealers at this show.

ATF told me that there is a bill in the house, it's still in committee, that was going to remove silencers from the NFA. Reducing noise polution seems to be a GREEN issue now. They want any mom and pop hardware store to be able to sell them without ANY paper work or tax.

They won't let it out of committee until we have a change in the whitehouse because the current imposter won't sign it.

I got my first FFL when Reagan was president. I had to fill out a postcard for my renewal.

When Clinton became prez, I had a 12 page form to complete. I had to provide a blueprint of my house, a description of my alarm system, waive my right to a search warrant, and waive my right to Doctor-patient confidenciality.

I really had to think that one thru before I renewed.
Even if that bill exists, there will be the few gun owners, rich enough to own NFA items that will shoot it down. I know a silencer isn't bad, price wise, compared to full-autos. It just seems like those (some of them) guys are more concerned about their investments than about expanding the freedom to own one.
egs89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:03 AM   #85
madmanmccoy
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 115894

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
that's all fine an dandy! FA's are cool and fun, but i do not think it's morally correct to seek permission (and pay) a corrupt government for the privilege of owning something. That's just me.
That's about the size of it .
madmanmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote