Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > RPKs and RPDs

Notices

Old 08-30-2017, 07:26 AM   #106
ClayC

AKaholic #: 99136

well I got mine yesterday..... and I got a cleaning rod!!!!!!!!! but I would gladly let them keep the cleaning rod if they didn't screw up the receiver.

Unfortunatley mine has some issues around the magwell and a couple of the rivets:

1) It looks like a front trunnion hole was drilled in the wrong place, then welded up and ground down. They didn't grind the weld flush, and didn't do a good job dressing what they did.
2) Multiple grind marks on the bottom of the receiver, probably from the weld they ground down.
3) At least one rivet on the front trunnion was installed cocked and isn't making full contact with the receiver.
4) Another rivet looks like it wasn't positioned in the rivet jig properly and it has deformed the head.
5) The worst issue off all is that they have bent the receiver on one side. Laying a straight edge across the receiver shows a significant bend at the mag well opening and the mag well is deformed.

I really don't understand how this gets past any kind of QC at James River OR at Classic.

Pics:

So I've sent an email to Classic to see what they want me to do, but I want either a replacement or a refund.
ClayC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:13 AM   #107
7.62hunter

AKaholic #: 172284

Well, now I'm nervous
7.62hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:20 AM   #108
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayC View Post
well I got mine yesterday..... and I got a cleaning rod!!!!!!!!! but I would gladly let them keep the cleaning rod if they didn't screw up the receiver.

Unfortunatley mine has some issues around the magwell and a couple of the rivets:

1) It looks like a front trunnion hole was drilled in the wrong place, then welded up and ground down. They didn't grind the weld flush, and didn't do a good job dressing what they did.
2) Multiple grind marks on the bottom of the receiver, probably from the weld they ground down.
3) At least one rivet on the front trunnion was installed cocked and isn't making full contact with the receiver.
4) Another rivet looks like it wasn't positioned in the rivet jig properly and it has deformed the head.
5) The worst issue off all is that they have bent the receiver on one side. Laying a straight edge across the receiver shows a significant bend at the mag well opening and the mag well is deformed.

I really don't understand how this gets past any kind of QC at James River OR at Classic.

Pics:

So I've sent an email to Classic to see what they want me to do, but I want either a replacement or a refund.
Yes., that one looks like a rough assembly and a badly tweaked receiver.
The rivets look OK but the rest and the lower bolt lug tracks on the hammer face shows how the BCG is tracking off axis.
AKBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:32 PM   #109
porkgazam

AKaholic #: 193361

Received mine yesterday. Rivets all looked good. Came with a cleaning rod. No rust or pitting. Stain on the wood reminds me of my Yugo M48. I didn't notice this aspect until I got home and cleaned the grease out. The bcg, binds/sticks on the hammer so the bcg doesn't go into battery freely. I either have to smack the receiver to get the bcg to release or push it. This is a little worrisome. I am hoping recipricating the action will smooth this out. Will inspect the bottom of the bolt tonight to see it is off track like the above user posted.
porkgazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:04 AM   #110
steveTA1983
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 180809

Quote:

Pics:

Please keep us posted with how Classic handles it
steveTA1983 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:47 AM   #111
ddnc
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174853

Hmm, that looks piss poor. It will malfunction at some point. I would not shoot it and want another or my $$ back.
ddnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:07 PM   #112
7.62hunter

Hopefully I have better luck. Mine still hasn't shipped

ETA: just shipped

Last edited by 7.62hunter; 09-01-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:09 AM   #113
ClayC

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveTA1983 View Post
Please keep us posted with how Classic handles it

Classic was good I think. They hooked me up with someone at JRA. They supplied me with a shipping label and the rifle went back on Friday (yesterday).

I'll follow up once I no more.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:34 PM   #114
steveTA1983
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Classic was good I think. They hooked me up with someone at JRA. They supplied me with a shipping label and the rifle went back on Friday (yesterday).

I'll follow up once I no more.
Good to hear
Old 09-10-2017, 12:43 PM   #115
7.62hunter

Picked up mine today. Pretty nice overall. One rivet seemed a lil funky

ETA: massive pics are massive. New to imgur

Old 09-14-2017, 12:24 PM   #116
ddnc
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62hunter View Post

That is really poor workmanship. Not only did they poorly grind and attempt to minimize the grind marks they also scalloped the lip of the receiver with the grinding wheel. Why did they have to do this on a new receiver? Poor front left trunnion rivet as well. That top left rear one doesn't look so hot either.
I'd be sending that back.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:18 PM   #117
7.62hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnc View Post
That is really poor workmanship. Not only did they poorly grind and attempt to minimize the grind marks they also scalloped the lip of the receiver with the grinding wheel. Why did they have to do this on a new receiver? Poor front left trunnion rivet as well. That top left rear one doesn't look so hot either.
I'd be sending that back.
Do you think it's anything that will affect function in the long run? I'm too uptight and AK aesthetics, but just want it to be a high volume shooter
Old 09-14-2017, 06:27 PM   #118
ddnc
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Do you think it's anything that will affect function in the long run? I'm too uptight and AK aesthetics, but just want it to be a high volume shooter
Probably not and will most likely suit your needs but one should expect more from a new build and from the supposed maker.
I would still contact Classic and ask them to exchange it, for 8 bills it should look better. They still have them in stock according to a flyer I got today.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:57 PM   #119
RG Coburn
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 7184

Geez,my Century-built Yugo RPK has better assembling than that. Other than it has a canted front sight. Come on JRA. This is your moment.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:09 PM   #120
7.62hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnc View Post
Probably not and will most likely suit your needs but one should expect more from a new build and from the supposed maker.
I would still contact Classic and ask them to exchange it, for 8 bills it should look better. They still have them in stock according to a flyer I got today.
I just emailed Classic. Why I spend money at gun stores other than Atlantic firearms is beyond me
Old 09-14-2017, 09:46 PM   #121
7.62hunter

Wow classic already emailed me back.

Here's their response:
Dear James,

I am sorry to hear of the issues that you are having with your Yugo M72 purchase.

Experiencing issues with these rifles is unusual. We typically get very good feedback on this item and as such what you are experiencing is an anomaly.

Fortunately, in the rare instance that we do have a problem of any kind, the manufacturer is very responsive and always does a great job of correcting any issue directly to the customer.

The manufacturer actually has an advantage over us in warrantying or replacing a firearm in that they can often repair or replace directly to the customer without going back through the dealer which is a luxury that we do not have. As such most firearm issues can actually be handled more efficiently and with less effort on the buyers part through the importer or manufacturer.

James Rier, could you please contact Mr. Hope regarding the issues with the M72 as stated below from the original email:
I recently purchased a JRA yugo M72. It seems the receiver was grinded and blued over as well as the rear of the receiver being scalloped. The receiver is dented under the rear trunnion rivet and a few rivets altogether are poorly done.

I have also attached the customer's pictures.

Also, please see directly below the exact item he ordered along with his contact information. Please reply all with your response so that we can see that you have received and will be handling.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:06 PM   #122
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

Sounds like a good follow up.
AKBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:46 PM   #123
ddnc
Curio & Relic

I hope you get a new gun.
You should because that is what you thought you were paying for. So should the OP.
I am interested in how this is handled.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:58 AM   #124
7.62hunter

Still waiting on a reply from JRA
Old 09-19-2017, 10:23 AM   #125
ClayC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBLUE View Post
Sounds like a good follow up.
sounds like the exact same "form letter" they sent me

Update on mine, I called JRA, (Don't go through the funky email chain they use, just call JRA direct), and they said they are replacing the receiver on mine and then shipping it direct to me. I'm told I should expect a call or email with tracking info this week.

Fingers crossed.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:58 PM   #126
TheGreek!
ALPHA MALE

AKaholic #: 157160

Quote:
Still waiting on a reply from JRA
I wouldn't wait for them to reply, be proactive and call them on the phone. Tell them you want to exchange the gun for one that wasn't assembled by an amateur and that you want them to cover the return shipping too.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:04 PM   #127
7.62hunter

I asked for a shipping label to return the rifle.

JRA said

"No, you would need to return the rifle."

That was their entire email. I'm severely disappointed in JRA.
Old 09-30-2017, 02:04 AM   #128
7.62hunter

Classic Firearms provided a prepaid shipping label.

I'm extremely impressed with Classic Firearms. They've been very fast and professional handling this situation.

James River Armory, not so much

Rifle is on its way to JRA. Hopefully they make it right
Old 10-01-2017, 01:18 PM   #129
ddnc
Curio & Relic

Quote:

I'm extremely impressed with Classic Firearms. They've been very fast and professional handling this situation.

To make it right means a new gun. That receiver is FUBAR cosmetically.
BTW I recently acquired one of the first batch carbines that Atlantic had and had some questions and contacted JRA, crickets. Not impressed either. I have not accepted transfer yet as the front trunnion is gouged pretty bad. One would not expect this on a supposedly premium/excellent kit plus there is no date, model # on the left side trunnion. So it was either scrubbed or unissued. It may be going back.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:12 AM   #130
Babymufasa
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 174368

Quote:

Classic giving good customer service? You just made akfiles history! Lol... glad to hear they are taking care of you so far. Keep us updated.
Babymufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:54 PM   #131
7.62hunter

Well I picked up a Romanian back loader drum for the RPK. Just need the gun back now lol
Old 10-11-2017, 09:07 AM   #132
7.62hunter

Talked to JRA yesterday. They said they replaced the receiver and redid the rivets. Only thing left is to test fire.

They did say they would ship it back directly to my house. I asked since it's a new receiver shouldn't it need a new 4473? They said that since it's warranty work it doesn't and It'll go straight to my house.

Does this sound correct?
Old 10-11-2017, 10:56 AM   #133
ddnc
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Talked to JRA yesterday. They said they replaced the receiver and redid the rivets. Only thing left is to test fire.

They did say they would ship it back directly to my house. I asked since it's a new receiver shouldn't it need a new 4473? They said that since it's warranty work it doesn't and It'll go straight to my house.

Does this sound correct?
If the serial number is different it is a "new" gun but if that is what they propose run with it. No paper work for you that's on them.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:25 PM   #134
7.62hunter

Well talked to James River Armory and they said the new receiver is gtg and it's actually shipping out to today. Should be here Friday.

Classic really proved them self to me over this
Old 10-21-2017, 10:01 PM   #135
steveTA1983
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Well talked to James River Armory and they said the new receiver is gtg and it's actually shipping out to today. Should be here Friday.

Classic really proved them self to me over this
Glad they did good. Hopefully they will continue this customer service
Old 11-03-2017, 10:21 PM   #136
ncgoober

AKaholic #: 171030

Sure wish this thing had a nitrided barrel.
ncgoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:17 AM   #137
ForTheCorps

AKaholic #: 187239

Maybe I need to try contacting JRA as well. I have one of the M72 carbines and I'm disappointed with a few things, mainly that Yugo mags won't even seat!
ForTheCorps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:41 AM   #138
shim1313
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 131053

Hopefully Atlantic can get some in stock, at least they will not send out crap like Classic will
Old 11-12-2017, 06:46 AM   #139
ForTheCorps

AKaholic #: 187239

Quote:
Originally Posted by shim1313 View Post
Hopefully Atlantic can get some in stock, at least they will not send out crap like Classic will
Not necessarily. Ive never had issues with Atlantic so I'm not bashing them, but that's where I bought mine. I just sent mine back to JRA on Friday. We'll see what happens. I sent them an email and they were completely cool with me sending it in for repairs although I had to eat the shipping.
ForTheCorps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:26 AM   #140
RG Coburn
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 7184

I gotta wonder what they are using for testing and fitting standards. Like,do they have a varied assortment of different AK mags that are inserted for function? What sorta bothers me is the units left their shop,where a 5 minute look-over would have probably spotted some of these issues. This is one industry where when one stumbles,it is very hard to recover from. Check,check,then check again,before sending the product out the door.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote