Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old 08-07-2017, 12:45 PM   #1
Orpheus
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 177936
Default Vz58 Front sight block remove and replace

Hi guys,
I recently picked up a 12" vz58 for a song, and as you can see in the pic....its been bubbad to hell. All that junk aside from the folder is coming off but I need to fix that front sight. Ive seen a segment of the shooting community that seem to think that you can't use the regular sights with a straight stock....which is retarded but I digress.

The block is still on the gun, the post has just been cut off. So that means I have to drill out the pins and I suspect use a pipe wrench to get the old one off, put a new one on, and use larger pins to reattach it.
I know this is standard procedure for fixing cants and so on, on AKs but has anyone done this on Vz58s? What size bits and pins should I use?
Also, this is a CSA made gun so I suspect that its paint over park. I dont exactly have the means to refinish it "properly"; is there a suggested 'quick n dirty' method I can use in the meantime?

Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:37 AM   #2
timhogan427
I eat ar15's and shit out ak's

AKaholic #: 178465

those pins punch out with an appropriate size punch.just make sure the punch is a little smaller than the pin obviously. a press is preferred to remove that sight after the pins are punched out. if you have to drill for a larger size for any reason for putting the new one on , go with an 1/8" bit and 1/8" pins. you can use a hammer and a soft non ferrous block of metal (brass,copper,aluminum, etc) to hammer against the base to remove it, but you do that at your own risk.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:57 PM   #3
Orpheus
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 177936

So they just pop out? Thats awesome! Thanks buddy!
Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote