Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gear & Accessories

Notices

Old 12-23-2016, 07:22 PM   #281
PeterGriffin

AKaholic #: 179306

2 of the 10 Gibbs Mantra BHOs that I ordered don't lock into the magazine latch on my Arsenal SLR-107. Upon close inspection and comparison, the 2 mags that don't work have a constant angle above the rear magazine catch while the 8 that do work have a flat "step", which is the only thing I can attribute to them not fitting/working properly. I emailed Old West Scrounger to give them a heads up, otherwise these 8 mags fit great and held the bolt open like they're s'posed to...
PeterGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:28 PM   #282
mnop308
Piney woods cracker

AKaholic #: 185335

Spent the afternoon cleaning mine up. My new looking M64 had a bent feed lip. A few slightly bent floor plates. Two of the floor plate retainers had the vertical arm that sticks up all bent to shit. I guess somebody tried to jam too many in. One had a spring that looks like it is for a 20 rnd mag. Other than that most cleaned up really well and are in much better condition than they looked to be under all the cosmo.
mnop308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:05 PM   #283
csi-tech
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 168728

I was lazy and after buying dozens of these mags I just kept loading them as ammo rolled in. Eventually my shelf started to bow from the weight. Yugo mags are a bish to unload.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:26 PM   #284
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterGriffin View Post
2 of the 10 Gibbs Mantra BHOs that I ordered don't lock into the magazine latch on my Arsenal SLR-107. Upon close inspection and comparison, the 2 mags that don't work have a constant angle above the rear magazine catch while the 8 that do work have a flat "step", which is the only thing I can attribute to them not fitting/working properly. I emailed Old West Scrounger to give them a heads up, otherwise these 8 mags fit great and held the bolt open like they're s'posed to...
The fix is in the PSA Croatian mag thread. Easy mod.
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 12:13 AM   #285
tompat

AKaholic #: 187922

Here's a tip guys for cleaning off the cosmoline. I have tried all the methods from boiling, oven, kerosene, gasoline, powerwashing with degreaser etc and this method is MUCH better than anything else you will try.

Go to Sams and buy a gallon jug of their concentrated purple HD degreaser. Mix with water 32:1 so it goes a long way. You'll only need about a 3 gallons of water to 1.5 cups of degreaser to cover 10-15 mags. Disassemble mags and drop in solution, let set for about 15 minutes, give a light scrub for thick areas of cosmoline. This degreaser solution literally melts the cosmoline! Rinse off, dry off with paper towels and let parts dry the rest of the way. Re-assemble and you're done. I've done this on mags that were so caked with cosmoline that you couldn't move the followers and could barely disassemble them and this method eats right through the thick stuff. Hope this helps...
tompat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 12:17 AM   #286
tompat

Quote:
Originally Posted by csi-tech View Post
I was lazy and after buying dozens of these mags I just kept loading them as ammo rolled in. Eventually my shelf started to bow from the weight. Yugo mags are a bish to unload.
Every try the magLULA loader? Works great for both loading and unloading!
Old 12-24-2016, 03:22 PM   #287
PeterGriffin

AKaholic #: 179306

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBLUE View Post
The fix is in the PSA Croatian mag thread. Easy mod.
Thank you for the heads up, looks like an easy fix...
PeterGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:01 PM   #288
Herby

AKaholic #: 76699

Thanks, I've also tried hot water, brake cleaner etc, and not satisfied. Just ordered a gallon of this stuff and will give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompat View Post
Here's a tip guys for cleaning off the cosmoline. I have tried all the methods from boiling, oven, kerosene, gasoline, powerwashing with degreaser etc and this method is MUCH better than anything else you will try.

Go to Sams and buy a gallon jug of their concentrated purple HD degreaser. Mix with water 32:1 so it goes a long way. You'll only need about a 3 gallons of water to 1.5 cups of degreaser to cover 10-15 mags. Disassemble mags and drop in solution, let set for about 15 minutes, give a light scrub for thick areas of cosmoline. This degreaser solution literally melts the cosmoline! Rinse off, dry off with paper towels and let parts dry the rest of the way. Re-assemble and you're done. I've done this on mags that were so caked with cosmoline that you couldn't move the followers and could barely disassemble them and this method eats right through the thick stuff. Hope this helps...
Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:21 PM   #289
Big Laurel

AKaholic #: 183280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Thanks, I've also tried hot water, brake cleaner etc, and not satisfied. Just ordered a gallon of this stuff and will give it a try.
I'm sure the purple degreaser will do as promised on the cosmoline, but I had a bad experience using it on a classic car engine. It'll take the anodizing right off of aluminum.
Big Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:50 PM   #290
mnop308
Piney woods cracker

AKaholic #: 185335

Has anybody else noticed weird shit with their Yugoslavian BHO mags from AiIM besides me, or am I just snake bit? None of my 22 had any weird holes but 2 of them are unusable due to F'D up lips or springs? Has everybody else had 100% good useable mags? This is the first time I have run into this ordering used mags.
mnop308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:32 AM   #291
tompat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Laurel View Post
I'm sure the purple degreaser will do as promised on the cosmoline, but I had a bad experience using it on a classic car engine. It'll take the anodizing right off of aluminum.
Yep, never use a harsh cleaner on anything aluminum. I've learned that same lesson on a set of polished aluminum wheels before.

These mags are blued steel so no harm will occur from this process. However, these mags are not in brand new pristine condition to begin with so they won't be perfect regardless of what you do to remove the cosmoloine.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:33 AM   #292
tompat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnop308 View Post
Has anybody else noticed weird shit with their Yugoslavian BHO mags from AiIM besides me, or am I just snake bit? None of my 22 had any weird holes but 2 of them are unusable due to F'D up lips or springs? Has everybody else had 100% good useable mags? This is the first time I have run into this ordering used mags.
I noticed that you can stress the springs when disassembling them due to the cosmoloine being too thick.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:31 AM   #293
bigrog210
Vierfruchtpyjama
Contributor

AKaholic #: 177977

Quote:
I noticed that you can stress the springs when disassembling them due to the cosmoloine being too thick.
How are you stressing springs? Are you pulling on them from the bottom instead of pushing the follower from the top?

///
Magaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshut View Post
autonomic nervous system:

The part of the nervous system responsible for control of the bodily functions not consciously directed, such as breathing, the heartbeat, digestive processes and ordering AK 47 magazines.
bigrog210 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 03:46 AM   #294
Sweersa
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 157316

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnop308 View Post
Even a few of the unissued ones I had had messed up followers. I'm guessing they came from the factory like that. Some adjustment was required with a pliers, punch, and hammer to correct as much as I could. Another had a spring with a little rust, but still usable. The rest were either unissued and nice or nice with some varying degrees of cosmetic wear from a few insertion marks to through years of conflict and scratching of names in the mag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeManassas View Post
So, can I assume that WTF is not one of the Marketplace headings like WTS, WTB, or WTT?
Sweersa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 03:49 AM   #295
Sweersa
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 157316

Quote:
Originally Posted by csi-tech View Post
I have also found Yugo mags far harder to unload manually by hand than other mags. Not sure why, perhaps stronger mag springs, or more friction from the underside of the feed lips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeManassas View Post
So, can I assume that WTF is not one of the Marketplace headings like WTS, WTB, or WTT?
Sweersa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:09 AM   #296
tompat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrog210 View Post
How are you stressing springs? Are you pulling on them from the bottom instead of pushing the follower from the top?
I'm not doing that. Let me try and rephrase what I meant. The thick cosmoline can interfere with disassembly and can cause stress on the spring by it catching on all the cosmoline. I have seen a few mags with very thick cosmoline on the inside.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:11 AM   #297
tompat

For the mags with holes in them, could these be the old Mitchell Arm Yugo mags that had restricted capacity?
Old 12-25-2016, 02:36 PM   #298
tompat

I didn't get anything for Christmas so I'm going to buy some of these mags because I'm bored:-)
Old 12-25-2016, 10:18 PM   #299
Biddleman

AKaholic #: 182394

I got 2 today from Santa. Great shape, nothing special, slathered with cosmoline. Put the box on the pile
Biddleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 10:24 PM   #300
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
For the mags with holes in them, could these be the old Mitchell Arm Yugo mags that had restricted capacity?
These are from Serbia. They are shipped with the various PAP imports and kits etc. Century sells them off to other retailers and distributors.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:42 PM   #301
Fade2Blk
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 176726

Quote:
I didn't get anything for Christmas so I'm going to buy some of these mags because I'm bored:-)
Don't it suck when you already own damn near everything you want and just order more magazines for the hell of it.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:02 AM   #302
slapshut
MAG WHORE

AKaholic #: 165205

The part of the nervous system responsible for control of the bodily functions not consciously directed, such as breathing, the heartbeat, digestive processes and ordering AK 47 magazines.
There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge....

Twilight Zone Season 1 (195960)
slapshut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:27 AM   #303
tompat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade2Blk View Post
Don't it suck when you already own damn near everything you want and just order more magazines for the hell of it.
It's killing me because I already have 20 mags of each of the other types I have and only 10 Yugos, so my OCD is saying "buy 10 more" even though I don't need them, lol.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:28 PM   #304
OnTop

AKaholic #: 155735

Received my 2nd order (20 this time) and here are the mags:

Scored 5 M64 mags (4 new and one in excellent condition).
10 New mags
5 barely used mags.

This is a makeup of my last order of 10 mags (no M64).

Hurry up guys: Only 2610 available.

OT
OnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:09 PM   #305
TX_1821
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 185967

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshut View Post

Lmao

Right! Already have 50+ surplus... Guess I'm getting 20 more with these yugo mags.
TX_1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:59 PM   #306
DEW210

AKaholic #: 184612

InsaneAuto86: Thanks for the heads up on these Yugo mags, I ordered ten a few weeks ago and finally found the time today to test clean a few of them.

tompat: Thanks for the advice on using the Sam's Club purple degreaser. I tried to melt the cosmoline out of two mags using a heat gun but I was making no visible progress. I followed tompat's method using the purple degreaser and the cosmoline just melted away.

Yugo mag info: Of the ten Yugo mags that I ordered all appeared to be unissued and brand new; two of the ten mags are the highly coveted Yugo M64 mags. If you are on the fence about buying these Yugo mags I recommend jumping on this great deal immediately as you will never again find mags of this quality for this price.
DEW210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:44 PM   #307
tompat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEW210 View Post
InsaneAuto86: Thanks for the heads up on these Yugo mags, I ordered ten a few weeks ago and finally found the time today to test clean a few of them.

tompat: Thanks for the advice on using the Sam's Club purple degreaser. I tried to melt the cosmoline out of two mags using a heat gun but I was making no visible progress. I followed tompat's method using the purple degreaser and the cosmoline just melted away.

Yugo mag info: Of the ten Yugo mags that I ordered all appeared to be unissued and brand new; two of the ten mags are the highly coveted Yugo M64 mags. If you are on the fence about buying these Yugo mags I recommend jumping on this great deal immediately as you will never again find mags of this quality for this price.
Glad the process worked for you:-) It makes these mags a much more pleasant deal when you have an great way of getting the cosmoline off.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:56 PM   #308
Styer

AKaholic #: 190668

Well I went in for 10. Now to track down some purple power to get these cleaned up. The reviews look promising
Styer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:01 PM   #309
dtownmj

AKaholic #: 182634

upon removing the cosmoline from one of my mags, one of them the feedlips are bent so towards each other that i cant even insert a bullet from the top down!
dtownmj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:08 PM   #310
Sundance

AKaholic #: 1626

I got 15 in today. My list:

9 are new

4 are used (one with lots of finish missing on one side, plus a little rust. blood mag?)

2 used but good shape M64 mags

great deal!!!
Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:56 AM   #311
bornfree83

AKaholic #: 167408

Checked on these weds. Looks like the stock went back up to 7000 mags available. Saw that coming
Old 01-13-2017, 09:36 AM   #312
draftpick
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 162636

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornfree83 View Post
Checked on these weds. Looks like the stock went back up to 7000 mags available. Saw that coming
wow, they are taking a book from SG ammo there with the inventory.
draftpick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:52 AM   #313
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornfree83 View Post
That is good news., right? Plenty for everyone. Though the Croatians are less $$.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:28 AM   #314
Sundance

AKaholic #: 1626

Not sure where you see 7000 available.

If you try to add that many to your cart it says: Only 620 available.
Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 01:00 AM   #315
bornfree83

AKaholic #: 167408

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBLUE View Post
That is good news., right? Plenty for everyone. Though the Croatians are less $$.
Yes Good thing of course.. Just stating that I figured there were more.

600 of them. Hhhmm.. I just checked again and it says 6201 of them in stock