Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > General Rifle Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Beater AK?
Id love an AK I could beat the crap out of! 360 56.34%
I'd enjoy seeing other peoples beat up AK's 158 24.73%
Interesting I guess... 56 8.76%
I could never do that to an AK and you shouldnt either (plus my mommy said no). 65 10.17%
Voters: 639. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2007, 10:29 PM   #1
creator0203
Failure to Yielder

AKaholic #: 4400
Default Beater AK Thread (Stories of the abused)

Was told I could get a Sticky on "Beater" AK/firearms. If this gets enough response it'll get its own room.
Lets hear some stories of your POS/beat to hell guns that you refuse to clean and keep on ticking.

I started out with having a big pile of spare parts (mostly Romy) and realised there was enough to build a complete rifle.
I took a blank barrel I had and put on the RSB. Well it fit but I could see the barrel through the pin hole. So laughing like I was mad I just grabbed a drill bit and reamed her out (not being nice about it). Then came the GB (lower handguard retainer first of course), pressed it on and one hole ligned up but the other didn't. Laughing again and chugging beer I just reamed her out and pinned it on. Then the FSB, same prob-one hole ligned up the other one didnt. Now im having fun. The press was needed for these pins. All spit out metal out the other end HAHAHA!
I bent a flat up and made a receiver (not being anymore careful and getting a buzz going) and riveted everything to it. Keep in mind that I only picked out the ugliest parts. Barrel pressing time. Wouldnt you know it, barrel goes into the trunnion fairly decent but the barrel is filling half the hole where the pin goes. O IM HAVING FUN NOW! Alittle more beer and a drillbit later and were good. Oh it was ugly though. The pin went in pushing the uneeded metal out the other side HEE HEE. Dont think that ones coming back out very easy, nor any of them for that matter.
Now to find a bolt/carrier. I had 2 choices and chose the ugliest of course. It wouldn't close with a round in it so I grabbed the dremel and alittle work on the bolt lugs and were good.
Found the most ugly pitted dustcover and a pitted to hell safety lever to throw in. Also found a well worn Romanian sling in the discount bin at Impact Arms. Threw on a birdcage flash hider (cause it looked ugly on my other rifles) and were good.
Off to the range!
First round went bang but bolt didnt close all the way. Alittle file work and were back in business. Not paying attention the next round fired out of battery. OUCH THAT WAS LOUD. Alittle more filing and then I just bumpfired the hell out of it. I felt probably 2 more out of battery firings during that but havent had a prob since.
It now has probably only 1000 rounds through it. Its a whore. I let anyone abuse it so long as they throw it down (not set) and feed it them selves. It goes out everytime and is usually just thrown into the back of the truck.
Figured its time for an experiment and this is a good one.
Ill get some pics up this weekend.
How bout some of your stories?
"I love my Beater AK"
Rivet it and forget it
Even my AR spits commie led
REPORTABUSEHERE

Last edited by creator0203; 10-10-2007 at 11:59 PM.
creator0203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:13 AM   #2
tdbrown1969
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 8064
Default tsk,tsk,tsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by creator0203
Was told I could get a Sticky on "Beater" AK/firearms. If this gets enough response it'll get its own room.
Lets hear some stories of your POS/beat to hell guns that you refuse to clean and keep on ticking.

I started out with having a big pile of spare parts (mostly Romy) and realised there was enough to build a complete rifle.
I took a blank barrel I had and put on the RSB. Well it fit but I could see the barrel through the pin hole. So laughing like I was mad I just grabbed a drill bit and reamed her out (not being nice about it). Then came the GB (lower handguard retainer first of course), pressed it on and one hole ligned up but the other didn't. Laughing again and chugging beer I just reamed her out and pinned it on. Then the FSB, same prob-one hole ligned up the other one didnt. Now im having fun. The press was needed for these pins. All spit out metal out the other end HAHAHA!
I bent a flat up and made a receiver (not being anymore careful and getting a buzz going) and riveted everything to it. Keep in mind that I only picked out the ugliest parts. Barrel pressing time. Wouldnt you know it, barrel goes into the trunnion fairly decent but the barrel is filling half the hole where the pin goes. O IM HAVING FUN NOW! Alittle more beer and a drillbit later and were good. Oh it was ugly though. The pin went in pushing the uneeded metal out the other side HEE HEE. Dont think that ones coming back out very easy, nor any of them for that matter.
Now to find a bolt/carrier. I had 2 choices and chose the ugliest of course. It wouldn't close with a round in it so I grabbed the dremel and alittle work on the bolt lugs and were good.
Found the most ugly pitted dustcover and a pitted to hell safety lever to throw in. Also found a well worn Romanian sling in the discount bin at Impact Arms. Threw on a birdcage flash hider (cause it looked ugly on my other rifles) and were good.
Off to the range!
First round went bang but bolt didnt close all the way. Alittle file work and were back in business. Not paying attention the next round fired out of battery. OUCH THAT WAS LOUD. Alittle more filing and then I just bumpfired the hell out of it. I felt probably 2 more out of battery firings during that but havent had a prob since.
It now has probably only 1000 rounds through it. Its a whore. I let anyone abuse it so long as they throw it down (not set) and feed it them selves. It goes out everytime and is usually just thrown into the back of the truck.
Figured its time for an experiment and this is a good one.
Ill get some pics up this weekend.
How bout some of your stories?
alright creator,i will attempt to build a beater ak.mind you this goes against everything i have ever been taught about taking care of a firearm.now i will try and find a cheap kit and let the abortion begin(this may be good to start my riveting,who cares how they look if they function)tdbrown

ps..i know you did not treat my barrel like you described above,it came back in better shape than it left in.anyone need quality work done,quick shipping seth is your man,here is his link

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15518
Old 10-11-2007, 02:02 AM   #3
Ding
onomanopeoia

AKaholic #: 7821

the best I heard was magnus's ak...now that's abuse..

the worst I ever did was shoot one of mine,the one that shot my truck so I shot it..
gimmie a thrasher...
Voice#7-"There's Nothing That a Screwdriver to the Temple Can't Fix"
SFC I Corps 68'-72'
Ding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:39 AM   #4
TwoBit

AKaholic #: 2729
Default A fine idea for the Files !

So let it be written-So let it be done !

The story of Old Dirty on the FalFiles is one of the testimonies to the durability of the Fusil Automatique Legere. The AK is no less a formidable and battle proven (maybe more proven) weapon. You guys build and collect some beautiful examples.

Now let's see those workhorses in their element.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:06 AM   #5
Trotsky39
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3186

Quote:
Originally Posted by ding

the worst I ever did was shoot one of mine,the one that shot my truck so I shot it..
gimmie a thrasher...
Now that sounds like a good tale!

Do tell, do tell.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:08 PM   #6
FAL GRUNT
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2164

Hmmm... beater stories eh?

Well... I suppose my beater is a Romanian SAR-1. It was my first AK I bought and has served me faithfully sense.

I'd take pics, but unfortunately I cleaned it up about this time last year. The stories go as follows.

There have been many times that I abused this AK without cause. The first time I remember was out at a buddies farm. We camped out that night and in the morning were going to go shooting. We had a discussion the other night about firearms and one friend was not quite convinced that an AK would run through anything. So to prove him wrong I did the following. I started by throwing the rifle in his pond... I drug the rifle through the mud and the muck and pulled it out. Feeling it wasn't fouled enough, I popped the top cover off and threw a large amount of mud and dirt with some gravel into the receiver.

I ran the cleaning rod through the barrel to clear any obstructions, slapped a mag in and burned it off. We went through probably 500 rounds.

The second occasion that stands out to me, was shooting on another friends farm. again.. same treatment... packed receiver with dirt, mud and gravel, she ran fine....

I put about 8k rounds through it without cleaning it... even with the dirt, mud, and crap that filled every crevice.

Now... when I cleaned it.... man... that was a mess. Took me about 4 hours to clean it to where I thought it was acceptable. Not it's been repainted, stripped and stained the stock, and it actually looks respectable.

If I wasn't broke... i'd shoot some more x39.

I wonder how bad Bulgy 5.45 would corrode a rifle without cleaning it... bet I could put a couple K through my WASR-2... cause thats the only thing cheap enough to make an old dirty.

I'll look through my rifles tomorrow and decide if im gonna make a signature "AK FILES" "OLD DIRTY" ... maybe I should just build one...

-myers
FAL GRUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:08 PM   #7
bill3542
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 64

not mine but i saw a AK that bump fired with two 75 rd drums and 11 30 rd mags. end of the barrel turned white,upper plastic hand guard melted and fell off in the process. they were using a large oven mitt to hold lower hand guard because it was smoking and as far i know the AK is working ok to this day.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:35 PM   #8
creator0203
Failure to Yielder

I have a story kinda similar to FAL GRUNT's.
Took my cousin out shooting and have always tried to convince him to build an AK. I was telling him all about how great they are and what they can go through. I had an SAR-1 with me and decided to go for it. I popped the dust cover off and dumped a small handfull of dirt into it. I then grabbed a hand full of weeds and crammed them in there.
Then I cycled it 2 times by hand then put a 75 rounder in it. To his suprise all 75 rounds bumped without a glitch. After that we put another 425 rounds through it. Took me 2 hours about to get it clean. Long story short he now owns an AK
"I love my Beater AK"
Rivet it and forget it
REPORTABUSEHERE
Old 10-11-2007, 07:45 PM   #9
creator0203
Failure to Yielder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ding

gimmie a thrasher...
Yup, I remember Magnus's thread. The ol drag it behind a truck battlefield pickup look.
Never shot one of my firearms with another but I have shot the bed of my old truck just because.
"I love my Beater AK"
Rivet it and forget it
REPORTABUSEHERE
Old 10-13-2007, 06:18 PM   #10
creator0203
Failure to Yielder

I had a winchester 22 long rifle that we used to play johnny rambo with when I was younger. We shot that thing so fast so many times and never cleaned it. Im talking this thing probably had 10's of 1000's of rounds through it. It was my dads too and he shot it quite a bit before I got it. Kinda like when you get your first car. Eventually the receiver cracked then later the crack got bigger and a chunk flew off. That was at the top of the receiver that holds in the charging handle. Never did find that charging handle. Just used a nail. Took it to a gun show and a guy looked at it and told me hed give me 100 bucks for it. This thing was a big POS by then but was suprisingly accurate. Walked out of there with a nice CZ-52.
"I love my Beater AK"
Rivet it and forget it
REPORTABUSEHERE
Old 10-16-2007, 08:35 PM   #11
creator0203
Failure to Yielder

Just built another Beater AK. This one is painted in white for winter. Better to shoot this then bring out nice stuff in the wet of winter. Pics to come soon.
"I love my Beater AK"
Rivet it and forget it
REPORTABUSEHERE
Old 10-16-2007, 09:10 PM   #12
lextech
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 6259

Nice. I was suporting the "White Rifle" the whole way, cant wait to see it. Do a winter camo print.

Im sorry Creator, I was tryn to keep my WASR as a beater, but Im embarassed to say I broke down and cleaned it sunday. Im sorry I just dont have enough AK's yet to beat one down intentionally, though I have been pretty lax on the cleaning chores.
lextech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:56 PM   #13
creator0203
Failure to Yielder

Think a nice cheap set of Choate handguards and a Crapco folder should finish it nicely. Should be ready to be tossed in the snow before you know it. Forgot to paint the cleaning rod. After finally making one in white I realise that white sucks. Anything will show on the white. Guess thats why its a Beater AK. We'll se how it shoots after sitting in a snow bank all night LOL.
"I love my Beater AK"
Rivet it and forget it
REPORTABUSEHERE
Old 10-19-2007, 01:53 PM   #14
my-rifle
Banned

AKaholic #: 6179

OK the beater story. As a lot of ya'll know I bought a butt-load of Century's "missing-parts" AK and RPK kits and sold most of them. Some came in in beautiful shape. Others did not. Some turned out to be complete. Others not so complete. I mixed and matched parts headspacing as I went and I sold a lot of the kits. Now these were Romanian, both "G" and "non-G" kits.

I built a couple with moderate success, then decided that since I had a 5-gallon bucket full of mis-matched parts including a few barrel/trunnion assemblies it might be nice to save one of the shot-out barrel assemblies. This was one that had pitting in the bore as well as a crown that was worn about 1/2 deep into the barrel.

Well I set to work. At that time I was still using my "U-Melt-Em" Speedway welder that was blowing holes in all my receivers, but since this was a beater I didn't care. I pressed the flat, riveted it up, pressed on the barrle and pin, then looked it over - not a bad looking rifle. Grabbing some carved-up wood furniture I put it all together and finished the job.

Out at the range it turned out to not be so bad. The thing shoots 8"-10" groups at 100 yards key-holing about 1 in every ten rounds. On the other hand I've put about 2000 rounds through it with very few malfunctions. It is also WAY out of headspace failing the no-go test with flying colors. Even so the cases extract cleanly, and they come out with no deformations. At some point we welded in a center support pin, and in the process we stripped off most of the Alumahyde skin from the receiver where the weld went in.

The rifle has the word "VALI" carven into the pistol-grip, so that is its name. I recently bought a few extra Yugo barrels from APEX, and while I was at it I also picked up a Romanian one. This will eventually go into VALI's trunnion to replace that ole nasty thing on it right now.

I do love that rifle. And I still have that bucket 'o parts :-)
my-rifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:22 AM   #15
creator0203
Failure to Yielder

Stickys dont seem to get alot of attention.
Im still waiting for the snow to test the white riot out.
Anyone got any interesting stories or developements?
"I love my Beater AK"
Rivet it and forget it
REPORTABUSEHERE
Old 12-17-2007, 06:09 AM   #16
creator0203
Failure to Yielder

Default You can build a pistol without a lathe

Got bored tonight (drinking). Had an extra barrel without a FSB. Also had a white AK thats posted above as a winter test subject that didnt run well but still fired after sitting in a snow bank all night. So I decided to build a pistol. I already had the receiver made with the pistol rear trunnion in it. Been sitting on it for ever. Well I decided my belt sander looked like a good lathe. I removed the FSB and GB and did some measuring. Cut the barrel with my dremel. Took 2 cutoff wheels to do cause one broke in the process. After measuring what needed to be removed I carefully (took my time) began to belt sand where I wanted the FSB to be. It took a while and alot of mesuring but I finally got it down to size. Then I smoothed out the muzzle end and rounded the corners with the belt sander. Pressed on the blocks, drilled for the FSB pins and pinned it. All in all it took me about 5 hours to complete. I like it. Nothing matches but the bolt and carrier I found had the same lot letters and the serial #'s were only off by about 200 so from the front trunnion. I knew they were of the same year and possibly built on the same day or close. Really didnt take much fitting at all to finish it. I think I only cussed twice. Anyways here it is. Im proud of it and will shoot it tomorrow then paint it up. Then beat the sheite out of it. Depending on how nice the finish comes out.
I think I found my new truck gun
Just trying to keep the beater section active.

Fun times
"I love my Beater AK"
Rivet it and forget it
REPORTABUSEHERE

Last edited by creator0203; 12-17-2007 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:22 PM   #17
Hoppy

AKaholic #: 7319

i wouldnt use the word "beater" but rather work horse.

i came to the conclusion my WASR isnt gunna win any buety contests, and has no sentimental/ historical value. so i decided, if shes gunan be ugly. shes gunna be a work horse. taken the dremel to it. taken a hammer to it, slathered it in Tung oil. along with a number of other things.

all these things i would never do to almost any other gun. dremel = no no. but for an AK it just feels, so.. right.

ugly as sin, so long as she works
Hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:15 AM   #18
Geist762
Psalms 149

AKaholic #: 4163

I've seen Magnus's beaters.

To know him is to understand. lol.

Did you ever see the pic of him humping the
hummer limo?

Jer 48:10 Cursed be he that doeth the work of the LORD deceitfully, and cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.
Geist762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:50 AM   #19
Wakko

AKaholic #: 10054

Not till you post it!
"In valor there is hope." - Tacitus
Wakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:28 PM   #20
Rrotz

AKaholic #: 295

I had to beat the crap out of the hammer/trigger pins to get them in, made all kinds of marks on the reciever but IDC. *i dont care
Rrotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:59 PM   #21
XSAPPER
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 6034

Does never cleaning it count? Cause I got 2 like that.

"GOD, GUTS, AND GUNS MADE AMERICA FREE"
AND I'M KEEPING ALL THREE!

http://mimage.novarata.net/
XSAPPER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:29 PM   #22
creator0203
Failure to Yielder

Yep, always cool to hear how many rounds folks have without cleaning. Details!
"I love my Beater AK"
Rivet it and forget it
REPORTABUSEHERE
Old 07-18-2008, 10:54 PM   #23
XSAPPER
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 6034

Quote:
Originally Posted by creator0203
Yep, always cool to hear how many rounds folks have without cleaning. Details!
I've got two that I've never cleaned. Nothing major 1 has 500-550 rounds, the other around 200. A guy I work with is doing the same with 2 of his AK's. We just want to know how many rounds before a malfuntion. I like my AR, but I don't think it would go this far. Then again I've never hit a man sized target at 400 meters with an AK.

"GOD, GUTS, AND GUNS MADE AMERICA FREE"
AND I'M KEEPING ALL THREE!

http://mimage.novarata.net/
XSAPPER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:05 PM   #24
creator0203
Failure to Yielder

My first Beater has around 1200 through it from me and id guess atleast 500 from other folks who have fed it. I just keep the exterior oiled to keep moisture away and alittle oil on the internal moving parts. Still not a sign of any rust anywhere. Not one part of this gun matches and like I said I wasnt too careful when building it.
I like getting scratches on it
"I love my Beater AK"
Rivet it and forget it
REPORTABUSEHERE
Old 07-19-2008, 11:50 PM   #25
knall
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 5181

2000+ through my 79 m70 UF without cleaning.

I had an issue that required dissasembly....took her apart...... said to myself MAN THIS THING IS FILTHY!!!

Fixed the problem, DIDNT clean, put her back together LOL still firing.
knall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:03 AM   #26
creator0203
Failure to Yielder

I love taking a rifle home and not have to worry about cleaning it. Love to shoot em, hate to clean em.
"I love my Beater AK"
Rivet it and forget it
REPORTABUSEHERE
Old 10-06-2008, 10:52 PM   #27
Konigstigerii

AKaholic #: 3014

My AK screw build from a romy parts kit, now in progress of being bull-puped, but was shooting, using some mags that didnt seem to work very well with this gun, but at this time it worked great with other mags so I dunno, but back to the story, we ended up shooting a crap load of ammo, and when I got home I decided to clean it, unloaded it, and noticed something felt funny, so i popped off the receiver cover and found a empty casing beat to all hell. I laughed, thats an AK for you empty casing in it and it still works!
Konigstigerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:57 PM   #28
creator0203
Failure to Yielder

Thats good stuff! I heard of another fella who had a casing jammed in the back of his receiver and couldnt get it out. It still ran so he finished the day of shooting with it with no probs.
Gotto love this design!
Good stuff
"I love my Beater AK"
Rivet it and forget it
REPORTABUSEHERE
Old 10-07-2008, 12:08 AM   #29
ambivolent
On hiatus

AKaholic #: 10544

I've been beating the snot out of my wasr-10 has had about 1000 Rounds through it this year haven't cleaned it other than wiping the suit off of the bolt carrier when I inspect everything I let anyone and everyone shoot this thing I've bumped off magazine after magazine with no problems when at the range it's got a nice spot in the dirt to sit like the kid with the dunce cap on I had someone try to lecture me on proper care of weapons but I stopped him and said "hey it's an ak" it has a light coat of rust gives it that 3rd world country look I think but it's done me good so far
███████████████████████►
◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙☼◤
ambivolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:20 PM   #30
jwise

AKaholic #: 22730

I'd like to see some pictures of the INSIDE of these rifles, as well the outside.

It didn't happen unless you post pics!

AR Guide - AK Guide - NFA Trusts - My Pick

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

(___@_______]]]~~~
jwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:57 PM   #31
FAL GRUNT
Curio & Relic

Hmm....

I'd have to disagree with alot of what you said in your reviews(AK) there Jwise....

-myers
Old 12-17-2008, 11:49 PM   #32
jwise

AKaholic #: 22730

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAL GRUNT
Hmm....

I'd have to disagree with alot of what you said in your reviews(AK) there Jwise....

-myers
PM sent...

EDIT- Well, it appears I'm not allowed to send PMs... Do you disagree with the facts, or the opinion? If its the facts, please educate me. If its the opinion part, please convince me. I'm open minded...

AR Guide - AK Guide - NFA Trusts - My Pick

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

(___@_______]]]~~~

Last edited by jwise; 12-17-2008 at 11:55 PM.
jwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:13 AM   #33
FAL GRUNT
Curio & Relic

I'll get an email sent out to you tomorrow if I can.

I'll add some notes to your essay. I am not saying I am a definitive source, but I thought I would put a few of my opinions your way.

-myers
Old 12-25-2008, 03:29 PM   #34
ItsmyRIGHT
Resident Macho Man

AKaholic #: 14606

I'm disappointed that the OP didn't post a pic, and also that there aren't any more pics to accompany these stories.

Sincerly,

Disappointed.

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.-wtf is so hard to understand about this? I don't need some a-hole judge to interpret this for me.
ItsmyRIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 04:06 PM   #35
ambivolent
On hiatus

AKaholic #: 10544

This is the story board there are pics of the abused floating around you just have to use the SEARCH function but I'll try to get some pictures up of mine tonight or tomorrow if I can
███████████████████████►
◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙☼◤

Last edited by ambivolent; 12-25-2008 at 04:16 PM.
ambivolent is offline   Reply With Quote