View Single Post
Old 03-07-2018, 07:11 PM   #14
jwag74
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 41158

I've been out there twice, once with the rifle once with the bow. Like someone already said above, get away from the road and other hunters as much as possible. Both times were unguided the first time (rifle) was pretty lackluster. We saw a few groups of cows (harvested one) and that was about it. The group I was with wasn't too adventurous and didn't get off the roads far enough IMHO, plus the area seemed a little too popular. The second trip (bow) was awesome. IIRC I saw 7 bulls over the course of the week, only my bow elk rookie stupidity kept me from harvesting one. The second time however I was with a much more ambitious group and we hunted a more remote area, two of the guys in our group had hunted the area the previous year and we had spent a lot of time looking at topo maps and satellite photos. If your going unguided and can't personally scout the area I highly recommend you pull up as much satellite imagery as you can. The area we hunted I could readily identify individual trees, rocks, etc while on foot just from previously looking at satellite images, it greatly improves you odds knowing exactly where you are when planning how to approach an area.
"The illusion of freedom [in America] will continue as long as itís profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater." --Frank Zappa
jwag74 is online now   Reply With Quote