View Single Post
Old 08-10-2018, 11:25 PM   #14
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

It doesn't change the performance of the rifle.

The hammer needs plenty of push to reset reliably.

The Yugo bolt carrier is similar to the Hungarian bolt carrier, in that they hybrid mixes of milled receiver and stamped receiver designs.

The Romanian bolt carrier is a pure stamped receiver design.

The Yugo may run so smoothly, people claim the M70's are overgassed.

Maybe some resistance is part of the design to slow down some moving parts.

QUOTE=1biggun;4764332]I seldom disagree with you but here I do .

The Yugo set is smoother and takes less pressure to set the hammer and charge the rifle . It also returns with less resistance meaning the carrer will be going home harder and likely chamber more reliably

look at how a Rommy hits the hammer vesus the hammer .

the Rommy moves it down abruptly with less amount of carrier travel this a this increases hammer speed and takes more pressure on the carrier to do it . this also means more pressure applied to the parts means more wear .

The Yugo ramps the hammer down gradually with more carrier travel the hammer speed is going to be less .

push your car up a steep ramp to raise it 3 feet vs a gradual hill which takes more pressure to push it ?? If your pushing in the trunk what method is likely to dent it ?? What carrier version is putting more stress on the part including the pin holes .

Take a performance cam shaft in a car . both have the same lift and the same amount of effective duration but one has less amount of duration to lift the valve fully up . the one with the steeper ramp will have more valves spring control issues and breakage and wear . Its also why they go to roller cams to allow faster valve action .

To make it simple all the carrier needs to do is get the hammer down before the carrier gets all the way back . no need for it to move it back so fast as long as it gets pushed down . No reason to beat it down with less carrier travel .
the carrier is damn near trying to knock the hammer back wards VS down on some AKM's
not all AKMs have the same amount of material between the bolt bore and the start of the taper that pushes the hammer down .

Your also increasing upward pressure on the carrier creating more drag .

A Yugo ramps it down slower and smoother and with less friction .

put that pull gage all you guys thing is needed to set head space on it and compare the two if you don't believe me .

On my target crap I wanted the smallest gas port possible and I want it to be as easy to charge as possible . I ran is as a single shot for over a 1000 rounds when built . so it mattered to me how hard I had to pull the charge handel and how much gas it took to cycle it .
I think I was able to run about .008" smaller port .
I concluded this when I substituted an non modified carrier and the rifle did not cycle .
the more the hammer is pushed down the more hammer spring pressure is applied and the more friction and resistance to make things work .
the les resistance the smoother , reliable and controllable things are .
I have never checked the difference in pull pressure to set the hammer but its considerably less .

A smooth action is going to be more controllable in full auto IMO .
I have no idea if the amount of carrier travel needed to get the hammer down affects the full auto parts I don't even know how they fit.

I don't like carriers hanging up on the hammer when pulled back gently .

On a custom I fit the hammer and the carrier so the hammer is lowered down just enough for it get below the disconector . less hammer travel is less wear and I also don't need the hammer it any lower so why have twice the movement and wear if Its not needed . the less work the carrier has to do the less pressure and force is needed . Also less return travel of the hammer snapping back on the disconnected .

MY carrier is tapered nearly to the bore for the bolt so dosent slam in to the hammer as sharply . ( don't go to thin as that area is also doing the work it could break ) compare

I may remove a slight amount from the carrier bottom but I always polish it . I generally remove material and change the angle of were the carrier first hits the hammer as well .

the ramp on the return end of the carrier can be changed as well as the Hammer and the return stroke can be considerably smother and require less return spring pressure . also less hammer bouncing from the carrier knocking it down . IMO its more likely to stay on the straight bottom of the carrier as it rides over vs bouncing . Not a big deal but IMO smoother and likely more reliable .

the Yugo carrier has a less aggressive angle and the are that rides the hammer is narrower and rounded . Its much smoother . it looks like some hand smoothing and fitting is done .
the AKM ( Im looking at a Hungarian right now ) is strictly machined and likely done in less steps / faster ,

I just swapped the two out and the pressure to set the hammer is less on the stock Yugo carrier . Im not sure if this a milled or stamped . You the expert there .

I have been looking a lot at maximum consistent return pressure for chambering on tighter rounds for the PAK ( precision AK) so the return stroke is of importance to me

ALL THAT SAID A STOCK SET UP WORKS FINE .[/QUOTE]