View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 10:51 PM   #30
trekkerpaul

AKaholic #: 170288

AKBLUE is always right about everything...just saying IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBLUE View Post
+1., Shellac is the finish on Russian wood. TrasTint in Reddisah-Brown is a good additive to get the desired color.

http://www.homesteadfinishingproduct.../TransTint.htm
I have to go with AKBLUE on this one. Per his advice I went out and bought several colors to play around with. I can't wait to use it to recreate original colors and finish on a couple of my stock sets.

Quote:
Never had that happen with TransTint as a Shellac additive it merely adds color to the coating and can be made as dark or light as needed.
If it is used as a wood stain., that is another matter as it will collect and build in any soft grain areas etc.

Shellac is not a durable finish by modern standards., BUT it is easily repaired, removed or darkened. Any poly or other finishes are less likely to be repaired or overcoated readily. Just depends on what you are looking to do. shellac is protective enough for general use and served the Russian, Chinese, Romanian and Bulgarian armed forces for many decades of use. But it is not the most durable at all.
Transtint is an extremely concentrated tint that is soluble in water, oil and denatured alcohol. Like any stain, it will always sink in more deeply to softer grains. There are pre stain conditioners, both latex and oil versions that can be applied to the wood prior to using any type of stain. Minwax makes a decent one I have used many times for staining interior trim wood in my years as a contractor. Transtint like any other stain will darken the surface more the longer it is left on the surface being stained. Pre conditioner does not affect the staining process, but simply allows softer portions of the wood to be slightly sealed before staining. I would only recommend the oil version when top coating with shellac, poly or other oil finishes.

Quote:
TransTint will generally stain bakelite to some . Not like wood but depending on the surface and fibers etc. It can also be added to thinned shellac to restore or smooth bakelite that light surface wear, up to a point of course.
Most milspec or Russian furniture was not made matchy-matchy., but it can be made pretty close.
I am currently using it to modify the original color of a purple bakelite bayonet to something truly wonderful. There has been a steep leaning curve involved, but at some point I will post pictures of the before and after on a thread. Transtint does not soak into bakelite well, but I think I found a trick to get around that issue. Not easy, takes time, but worth it so far.
trekkerpaul is offline   Reply With Quote